First Time Cruisers

Owensfam

We are taking the Triumph on Mar 31 2012. What to expect? What to do? What not to do? And I was wondering about the soda cards. should I do them for my kids or what. We are pretty excited and looking foward to this and we really would love some advice good and bad. Thanks Guys

My first cruise was on the Triumph. Make sure you try the waterside... It took me 3 cruises before I finally got around trying one (I'm 32) and they were a blast. The deli is a good place for lunch if you're like me and don't like buffets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are taking the Triumph on Mar 31 2012. What to expect? What to do? What not to do? And I was wondering about the soda cards. should I do them for my kids or what. We are pretty excited and looking foward to this and we really would love some advice good and bad. Thanks Guys

1. Take a deep breath and relax.

2. Take some time, initially, to explore the ship and get your bearings.

3. Don't over eat. The food never stops and you won't go hungry.

4. Enjoy breakfast in the MDR instead of the crowded buffet.

5. Take a close look at the daily activities and pick a few to attend.

6. Alcohol is NOT cheap on a ship and don't forget the added 15% per drink.

7. Enjoy your fellow passengers, and expect a small number you'll not.

8. Treat the crew members with respect-they work hard.

9. Don't buy a lot of "stuff"-every first time cruiser does, then wonders why.

10. Late at night, go to a secluded part of the ship on the top deck and just look up at the stars and realize how blessed you are! :)

Each pax can carry on 12 nonalcoholic drinks. I would carry on soda if your kids are addicted. Iced tea and decent lemonaide is free, as is hot chocolate and hot tea and milk and that kind of thing.

I wouldnt buy the soda cards unless you dont care how much you spend. they are $4.50 per day for kids plus 15% tips on top plus taxes if you buy them before you leave port. If your kids just have to have them, I would wait until the next day, the first full sea day and save $4.50 for that partial first day.

when we took our first cruise---my kids did not get a soda card. (they each carried on a 12 pack which they had many left over)

free iced tea/lemonade and choc milk was available.

I also did not give the spending priviledges. Dinner was mandatory.

Budget 25.00 for a family portrait. Get your photos taken each evening before dinner--- and pick one. No obligation and no seating fee.

actually budget 50 and buy 2 of them--a formal one and a casual one.

best sovernier you can get.

Tea time as a family at least one sea day- will not hurt anyone to miss activities for those 30 minutes.

My kids remember the time they spent with my mom during tea time

If your kids drink a lot of soda (more than 3-4 per day) then yes, get the soda card. If not, then I wouldn't bother. As far as recommendations, I recommend the shows in the main theater, the piano bar if everyone is into music and I'll second the MDR for breakfast. My family loves sitting with other families & getting to know other people, so MDR breakfast is perfect for us - you'll sit with new people each morning.

I always bring a highlighter for highlighting activities I want to do in the "Fun Times", which is a pamphlet you'll get each night saying what's going on board the next day. My family always brings walkie-talkies too. Cell phones are expensive and as we do change the channel a bunch to avoid interference, they're worth it. Another small recommendation is to bring a small clock with you; there isn't a clock in the rooms and the rooms are REALLY dark at night. I bring my iHome as an alarm, night light and clock.

The best advice is to just enjoy and have an open mind. You'll have a blast. :)

Just got back a couple of weeks ago from the Triumph:

1. Definitely have breakfast in the MDR. The buffet is a madhouse and not particularly appealing.

2. The minigolf is not easy to find, but worth looking for. It's hard to play on sea days, but would be fun for the port days.

3. (Parents)--Take advantage of the fitness room. (You won't feel guilty about eating those delicious desserts.)

4. If the kids are old enough to stay up until 11 pm, go see the slight-of-hand magician, Berman, who performs outside the California Wine Bar. He's amazing and he often chooses a kid to help him perform a trick.

5. If you want someplace to go in Cozumel, Paradise Beach is a nice place and you can easily get there by taxi--no need to buy any sort of excursion.

6. Use the stairs! The elevators are slow and you'll get where you want to go faster by taking the stairs. (Plus, again you can justify that extra dessert if you walk up and down a lot of stairs.)

Triumph was my first CCL ship, also! ;)

Don't fall for the "I gotta try and do everything" syndrome. You can't! (Save that for your future cruises!)

Go all the way forward on deck 8 and find the "secret door".

Relax, and enjoy the "cruise experience". You will find yourself "grinning like an idiot" with the rest of your fellow passengers, trust me!

Welcome to a new experience!:D

My last cruise was on a 5 day out of Galveston on the Triumph last Nov.

I thought the ship was clean and well maintained. The food was good enough for me. I went to the dining thing once and never went back. I think the ladies really enjoy the formal wear opportunity but I was traveling solo and as a guy I was happier at the buffet.

They have a deli and more often than not I got a grilled cheese, ham on rye. I mean really you more apt to get a steak at home than one of those. Find the ice cream machines. Great little deserts and never far form the pizza.

Every night I went to the rail on the lido deck and just let the strong sea breezes blow away the stress. Never got tired of that.

There is a reasonable sized diamond screen by the pool for watching movies at night. Most are family friendly I think. The kids will love that. They pop pop corn and make pizza. For a kid it doesn't get any better than that.:rolleyes:

Here is something Dad can do with the little ones and give the wifey a break. Climb around ... believe me it's a bit of an exploration (though a safe one) and find the highest part of the ship that is allowed for passengers. (you will be surprised at how high you can go") which is usually by the radar domes. Then find the furthest forward deck you can get on. The wind is just blowing to beat the band. (watch the doors since the wind can make them close on their own.) If it's a little choppy than you can watch the spray as the ship rises and slams back down on the water. I bet the water shoots out about 50 feet.

Progresso is reminiscence of a Mexican border town without the drug wars I guess. There are quaint shops and dirty streets. You might see a person selling eggs out of the back of a truck. Take the kids to the meat market and they'll convert to vegetarianism. Oh the flies and the heads on things. The boys will love it. Many went to the Mayan ruins but I thought it was too long and too expensive a trip for me. (couple of hours both ways I think) Of course once the boys find that they use to sacrifice people there they will probably want to go.

Cozumel is the high point of the trip. There Chankanaab National Park a few miles from where you land that is probably the safest and best maintained.

I didn't go there but I here it has everything from snorkeling to swimming with the dolphins.

Well there is my way too much suggestion.

JT:cool:

It sounds amazing, and we cant wait to go. I could've went on several cruises but the hubby was scared of all the water and one day he came home from work and said lets go. We booked the same night he's always on youtube watching the videos people post from their cruises he is excited he already has bags packed. Thanks Guys

12 pk of soda(pop) can be 20 oz bottles. Just Have to carry-on

MDR for Bfast is a very good idea.

Deli sandwiches very good.

Pizza ( Be patient and order a whole one takes a few minutes or so but worth it)

Don't let little things bother you everything won't be perfect ( remember you have 3,000 different personalities on board).

Secret Decks are a must ( Lido deck also has on) Thinking decks 9,8,7,6 have them.

Don't overpack. You will not wear everything you plan to bring.

Has been said already, don't try to do everything. There's too much to do and not enough time to do it all. Do take note of the fun farewell party. It is mentioned early in the cruise, but not advertised on the day it happens. This will be the only time as a first time cruiser that you will get free drinks and lots of them because almost no one goes.

Make the kids go to the respective clubs, they'll be happy they went as will you and your partner.

Go try the free liquor tasting at the gift shop. They usually have some interesting stuff and may find that you need to buy a bottle. If you see something at the gift shop you want. Wait, it will be on sale end of the cruise.

Do order as much as you want in the dining room. No one will think you are being strange or gluttonous. Well if you order too much maybe, but.

Do get the drink specials and ask for them in a regular glass, will save you a ton, unless of course you want souvenir cup.

I always got my son a soda card - there were times he was with the Camp Carnival program or the teen program, so he could get a soda whenever he wanted. Also, I gave him spending privileges (when he was about 11-12) with a set limit per day. He mainly used this to buy tokens in the arcade, or sometimes candy in the gift shop. The first night there will be informational meetings for Camp Carnival and the teen programs (listed in the Fun Times) - go check these out. Your kids do not have to participate, but they may want to at least check it out.

Archived