Would one feel like the service is Stuffy on HAL

Perki

Having cruise on Celebrity, Princess & Royal Caribbean and no experience on Holland America I am wondering about the experience, and afraid it might feel 'stuffy' compared to the other cruise lines - not sure it just seems that way. Please tell me I'm wrong and that I would enjoy the experience as much as Celebrity or Royal. Thank you!

I can't imagine anyone would call HAL service stuffy.

It is professional, friendly, sincere and correct. HAL crew/staff/officers all have a friendly demeanor and are very approachable. They have a well trained, tuned in instinct of what is correct without crossing the line, so to speak. I always feel on a HAL ship that they all really want to provide the best possible cruise they can and work so hard trying to do that.

HAL service is IMO the best we enjoyed on any Princess, Carnival, RCI or Celebrity ship...... Only one cruise on Princess would I call the service bad but it was so bad we never returned.

What you'll find on HAL ships is a staff that truly enjoy making sure that your every request is fulfilled. The dining room staff will take special orders with a smile, they will do little table-side entertainment for the little ones, remember how you like your steaks cooked, if you prefer coffee or tea, or both! Your cabin steward will be like a magician, never intruding, but as soon as you're out to breakfast or dinner, they willl clean and straighten your cabin as if they have hidden cameras watching to see when you're out. It really is amazing how special they make you feel. The staff in the Lido will remember your name for the entire cruise after meeting you for the first time on embarkation day! They are truly the hardest working bunch you'll ever meet, who seem to focus on making your cruise a memorable one.

Stuffy? No way!

Having cruise on Celebrity, Princess & Royal Caribbean and no experience on Holland America I am wondering about the experience, and afraid it might feel 'stuffy' compared to the other cruise lines - not sure it just seems that way. Please tell me I'm wrong and that I would enjoy the experience as much as Celebrity or Royal. Thank you!

"Stuffy" is almost the LAST thing I would call HAL's service! MOST of the service is either Filipino or Indonesian -and I can tell you you WILL feel as if you are leaving "friends" behind as you disembarlk. And the funny thing? You ARE! We cruise the "Amsterdam" the most but recently had a crossing on the "NIEUW Amsterdam" [the newest ship] and BOTH ships were in port at the same time -so many of the "Amsterdam" crew visited the NA to take a peek at the facilities. We headed off the NA for a bit of port exploring -and here came Andre running over from the Amsterdam crowd to give us -me - a hug! He had been our waiter in the diningroom. To feel REALLY warmly received -sail HAL. I am NOT young OR pretty - I'm 72 and OLD! HAL MAKES you feel young and pretty! ;)

Anne

We had the same concerns prior to our cruise on the Westerdam. We found it to be anything but stuffy. We loved everything about that cruise and would not for a minute hesitate to book another cruise with Holland American. The food was the best we have ever had on a cruise. The crew were soooooo friendly and nice. I think you are wrong and would love your experience with Holland American.

Everything on HAL is elegant enough to make you feel that your vacation is something very special. But stuffy? Not at all.

As everyone has said, the Filipino and Indonesian crew are the friendliest crew to be had. They are so pleasant and patient. We do the "As you wish" dining option, and as always, after our first dinner, we have had such a good time with our waitstaff that we request the same area every night. We know it would be the same service if we table hopped, but once we have established a repoire, it just makes sense to let it build to the end of the cruise.

Us too!! :D HAL has some mighty special people on their ships.

Us three! :D We love so many of the people we've met. They remember your name after the first day and use it every single time they see you! Even people you see "casually" who are catering to the entire ship, like bar staff! Amazing. I don't know how they do that. Cabin stewards that are like stealthy ninjas and service your room while you are out! (And when you do see them in the hallways they always stop what they're doing to say hello, greet you by name, and wish a good day/evening.) Simply amazing friendly warm people.

I've been on both HAL and Royal and found the service to be equally warm on both. HAL has certain touches that make it a slightly more upscale experience, but not in a stiff way.

I would call it "refined" and I mean that highly complimentary. After 16 RCCL cruises, 4 Princess and 1 HAL..........(second HAL booked this fall)......you will notice a distinct difference.........not in a bad or stuffy way, but different.........sometimes different is good;)

I would call the staff friendly and very willing to please and not offend (even too much so at times). If anything, I would like them to be a bit more aggressive in enforcing some of the ship's rules. Anyway, the staff on HAL is the BEST!

DaveOKC

Us three! :D We love so many of the people we've met. They remember your name after the first day and use it every single time they see you! Even people you see "casually" who are catering to the entire ship, like bar staff! Amazing. I don't know how they do that. Cabin stewards that are like stealthy ninjas and service your room while you are out! (And when you do see them in the hallways they always stop what they're doing to say hello, greet you by name, and wish a good day/evening.) Simply amazing friendly warm people.

:D Last year, DH and I decided we were going to try to catch the steward working on our room. We never did, and everytime we went back to the room, it was impeccable. Stealthy ninjas is a perfect description!! :D I don't know how they do it.

I agree with all the other posters, HAL staff is certainly eager to please, smiling, and ready to go the distance. They may be overloaded with many passengers to handle, but they work so hard. And of course, appreciate being treated with respect and kindness. Not sure what the feeling is on other lines, but stuffy isn't found on HAL. Happy Cruising!

We've been on many cruise lines, even back in the days when there were European crews of all one nationality, and we have never felt the service was stuffy on any of them. From the most accessible like Carnival to the deluxe like Seabourn, they have all had very friendly crews.

I agree with all the above posters! Absolutely! The Indonesian crew is the most extraordinary bunch. They really make our cruise and they are what keeps us coming back and back to HAL.

The only time I have ever felt the service was not perfect was several years ago in the Pinnacle, where a few Eastern European waiters were perhaps not quite happy with the job, or maybe just not the right personalities and the resulting service was quite different from the norm on HAL. This has been remedied now and we are happy cruisers!

Stuffy :confused: Stuffy and service don't go together, IMO. I would describe it as top notch, excellent, superb...but not stuffy!

Perki, the other respondents to this thread may leave you with unreasonable expectations. I have been happy with the staff on all the ships on all the lines I have sailed and notice little difference between them. The high praise for Filipino and Indonesian crew has always struck me as racist.

My impression is that HAL (and RCCL) are understaffed, the crew overworked. On my last HAL cruise my cabin was not made up until after lunch. On one HAL cruise I never saw my steward (that is not a complaint). The only Lido staff that ever knew my name was Hunky Dory on the Zuiderdam in about 2006. Personally, I would like HAL's waiters to be more aloof and take care of my table rather than chatting with fellow cruisers at other tables.

We do not find the HAL service to be stuffy. We find that their service is very similar to Celebrity. It is very good. You will not be disappointed.

The two differences that we do find relate to ship interiors and entertainment.

We find that the decor on HAL tends to be more traditional, ie darker colors. It is very attractive, just different.

We find the entertainment on HAL to be sub par compared to other lines-but this is a personal taste issue. I think their entertainment is aimed at the 70's-80's age groups. Just our opinion.

Perki, the other respondents to this thread may leave you with unreasonable expectations. I have been happy with the staff on all the ships on all the lines I have sailed and notice little difference between them. The high praise for Filipino and Indonesian crew has always struck me as racist.

My impression is that HAL (and RCCL) are understaffed, the crew overworked. On my last HAL cruise my cabin was not made up until after lunch. On one HAL cruise I never saw my steward (that is not a complaint). The only Lido staff that ever knew my name was Hunky Dory on the Zuiderdam in about 2006. Personally, I would like HAL's waiters to be more aloof and take care of my table rather than chatting with fellow cruisers at other tables.

That's a rather harsh accusation. I don't think anyone means it to be racist, although cultural would be a good way to describe it. My whole family is Filipino, and extraordinary social abilities are definitely a cultural thing.

Hard though it may be to believe, we have during a very long lifetime been the "beneficiaries" of lots of so-called high-level and "stuffy" service, both in the U.S. and abroad. We have talked about this upon our return, and have agreed that based upon a grand total of one voyage with HAL, we can agree that it is assuredly not "stuffy," but is rather enthusiastic, friendly, personal, and thoughtful. Quite frankly, it equals the best we have ever enjoyed without being in the least bit intimidating.

Archived