Free Cruise????

Has anyone gotten a phone call saying they have won a free cruise? I just got a voicemail saying I had won a free cruise + airfare for a 7 night Carnival or Royal Caribbean Cruise from Florida - no promotion or time share pressure. I'll probably call back within the 24 hours to see what's up, but I was first wondering if anyone else got the same type of call. What's strange is that it came on my cell phone number which I rarely give out to anyone and never on any kind of form unless I have to.

Hi Meg - Aunt Cookie? I'm going to at least call them back tomorrow - they said within 24 hours. I find it weird they have my cell phone number. I never give it out except to people I know and I never get telemarketing calls on it. Could it be somehow be from our cruise in Nov.?

If it's to good to be true it usually is . Scam!

I'm definitely thinking scam, but I'm still curious. Meg's aunt (who I'm betting is the aunt I sailed with in Nov) got a similar call today.

I highy doubt it but let us know what happens!

Ive received the same call on my cell several times and at least in my case it was a scam. free but need your credit card for any incidentals, taxes and to confirm reservation etc. I had a friend who fell for it and he said his was a scam for time share and in the end it cost him more for the sub standard cruise than if he had booked one himself. Just sayin...

Hi Meg - Aunt Cookie? I'm going to at least call them back tomorrow - they said within 24 hours. I find it weird they have my cell phone number. I never give it out except to people I know and I never get telemarketing calls on it. Could it be somehow be from our cruise in Nov.?

no another aunt...

i don't know.....the one who got the call hasn't been on either RC or CCL i don't think so it is rather odd......

I'm definitely thinking scam, but I'm still curious. Meg's aunt (who I'm betting is the aunt I sailed with in Nov) got a similar call today.

nope...not the same one.....the one who got the call has cruised but i think on Princess or something...not ccl and not for a looonnnggg time......

Has anyone gotten a phone call saying they have won a free cruise? I just got a voicemail saying I had won a free cruise + airfare for a 7 night Carnival or Royal Caribbean Cruise from Florida - no promotion or time share pressure. I'll probably call back within the 24 hours to see what's up, but I was first wondering if anyone else got the same type of call. What's strange is that it came on my cell phone number which I rarely give out to anyone and never on any kind of form unless I have to.
Wow, me too, yesterday on my cell phone also. I answered my phone and first heard a ship horn then they went on to say I won a cruise to Nassau and somewhere else....I forgot. And here I thought when I heard the ship horn that Oasis was calling me!;)

I can't believe people fall for this, if you had actually won something it would have been an actual person on the other end, not a recorded message.

Why would a company have to record a message to then play it to thousands of winners. There are not THOUSANDS of winners of competitions like this. There may be one or two which doesn't warrant a recorded message, it would be someone in person and if they left a message it would be a bit more specific.

Like, HI Mrs. ***** (they would know your name) The competition you entered on / in ****** They would tell you where you entered if you don't get told this IT'S A SCAM.

remember it would be an actual person NOT A RECORDING.

Anyone who falls for this sort of thing deserves to have their bank account emptied!

CONGRATULATIONS folks!! You have all won a new Mercedes, even though you have not entered any competition...

Just send me $500 for administration costs to my CC address...DUH!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

More like just give us a credit card # and we'll handle everything!

Scam!

Yes. we have had a free one on Royal Caribbean two years ago. Put our email address on one of teir sites. It included gratuities. Got a phone call to ask us to look at our emails which had been sent while we were out. Never asked for payment or credit card details. Even gave us the phone number to ring to confirm the prize which was RCCL.

Have also won a bath robe.

I'm going to disagree that it is a scam.

It probably is a timeshare company. They get peoples information by buying it from other companies that you deal with hence how they probably got your cell number. Typically it is not 100% free. They usually will have you pay taxes and fees and in exchange you would be required to participate in a timeshare or vacation club presentation. No I don't work for a timeshare company but my parents do these things all the time for the free stuff. The are retired so giving up a few hours for a presentation isn't a big deal to them. They are usually pretty upfront of what they require from you to get the "free" item.

Where I live its big business as alot of companies will give away free universal or Disney tickets.

I seriously doubt it was from the cruiselines. Unfortunately less than scrupulous timeshare and vacation membership companies still use these "come on's" to get new pigeons, er rather customers.

As for the number of folks on here who toss around the term "scam" to paraphrase a quote from the Princess Bride, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Scam - a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, especially for making a quick profit; swindle.

The operative word in the definition if fraudulent. If it is one of those where they are attempting to steal your credit card info that is very different and illegal and truly a scam. If it is a promotion to get you to buy their worthless product = that is just a crappy business offer.

Either way - I would pass on the offer. Usually the fees and expenses are more than you would pay in the open market.

I got a postcard in the mail the other day saying I had won a 7 day cruise and round trip airfare. It also said it wasn't a timeshare and to call for details. I never called. I haven't entered any contests, so how could I win? I figured that because I signed up for a SLEW of email offers from various cruise booking sites while I was looking for a good deal for our upcoming Allure Cruise, must be my named and info got sold to an advertising list. I will admit part of my has been very tempted to call JUST to find out how much money and info they really want out of me....

come on you all to good to be true nobody out there is giving a "FREE"

cruise

if you al beleive that i have a bridge to sell you lol:rolleyes:

How much for the bridge? I need one for an island I'm buying on the internet from a prince in Nigeria who sent me an email saying he needs to liquid his assets. He said he found me through a mutual trusted friend. He said all I need to do is send my name, address, date of birth, and bank account number to his accountant in Bosnia and the island is mine at a heavily discounted rate. How much was that bridge?

Archived