Free Cruise????

Google the phone number and you will find out if it is a scam.

Ernie you just beat me to it iI always google unknown phone numbers i think the site is who calls me or something like that anyway 9 times out 10 its a company trying to sell something or they charge you premium rates to call them back ITS A SCAM

NICK:)

IF ITS NOT CAN I PLEASE HAVE THE NUMBER LOL

A local non-profit and I got scammed by something similar. A person at work received an email that said you could buy a 4 day cruise for $99. She gave it to the PR person who did not check too closely and purchased a certificate for one. DH bought it at an auction for $150 as a gift for me since I always wanted to take a cruise.

Here's where the scam comes in. When you go to the website the cruise lines and length of cruises are listed, but no specifics. I knew something was hinky then. Once you actually get through to someone, and sometimes that takes several calls, they tell you that you have one calendar year to use it. They then tell you that they have to have your cc number for port fees. Port fees are non-refundable. I was not comfortable so I went to BBB and looked up the company.

What they do is get you to purchase the cruise and give them the credit card. They charge your card the port fees of a couple of hundred bucks right away. Then they ask you to pick three times you are available for the trip. They call you back and tell you none of those times are available *at the discounted rate*. (And this process takes a while because once they have your money, they don't really care if they call you back). They continue to tell you there are no spaces at the discounted rate for the entirety of the year. Now what they do tell you is that there are rooms available for a higher fee. So, your choice is to buy the cruise (one woman said she paid more for the cruise through these people than even full price on the cruise lines website) or be out your $99 plus the port fees.

Luckily, I did not give them my credit card, so I was only out the amount we paid at the auction and I went back and made sure the charity knew about it. They offered me my money back and I told them to keep it as a donation.

The good thing that came out of it is that I am going on my first for-real cruise in a few weeks.

I took the suggestion to google the number and it came up SCAM SCAM SCAM. 877-500-3990 Didn't really have any expectations but the google suggestion from lakelorain was great - should have thought of that myself. I really didn't want to call them back and get on yet another "this sucker calls back" list.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments. I've got my next two cruises lined up, but I might consider a bridge or private island, so......

Get someone else to call them back, preferably female, explaining that you died 2 weeks ago. Sit back and listen to the apologies and sympathy pouring out.

If they have your cell phone number, it's a good bet many other companies also have it.

Has anyone gotten a phone call saying they have won a free cruise? I just got a voicemail saying I had won a free cruise + airfare for a 7 night Carnival or Royal Caribbean Cruise from Florida - no promotion or time share pressure. I'll probably call back within the 24 hours to see what's up, but I was first wondering if anyone else got the same type of call. What's strange is that it came on my cell phone number which I rarely give out to anyone and never on any kind of form unless I have to.

yes, i received a call. They wanted me to forward them a cheque to cover taxes, fees, etc., that were outragious. It's a scam!!

My hubby got the same call & was impressed by the person on the phone. After asking your same question, here on Cruise Critics, we opted to cancel the appointment he made. When he went to call back, he was transferred 4 times, & each rep on the phone became more insistent...then more rude. That in inself, confirmed that this was a time share scam. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE CRUISE....unless of course, it comes from Costa!!!!

Anytime you are asked to give out personal information or credit card numbers and/or send a check it is more than likely a scam. When done on a computer it is considered "phishing". Phishing can also be done over the phone. Always use caution when you get these kind of phone calls or computer emails. Never, ever, give out your personal info to any entity that you do not know first hand or have ever dealt with directly.

The suggestion to Google the number is a great idea! :)

Actually you can win a decent prize without entering. ........ 4 years ago I received a fedex stating I was a finalist in a contest for 1 million frequent flier miles. I called the number in the fedex and really did win. I had used a debit card at a theater in conjunction with the theater's card. they had the date and time.

I still have 220k miles left and am now gold for life on AA.

Get someone else to call them back, preferably female, explaining that you died 2 weeks ago. Sit back and listen to the apologies and sympathy pouring out.

I did something similar to this a few years back. It was one of those timeshare things that kept calling with "free" offers because our household met their qualifications - the main one seems to be being married because they want dual income households. They would call about 3 times a week, even after me telling them not to call and that I'm on the do not call list. So finally once when they called and said something about a special offer for me and my husband I started sobbing and said I can't deal with this right now, don't you understand my husband is dead? He's DEAD!!!!". I was sounding pretty hysterical by the end. They never did call again.

• 4 months later...
I pretty much Google every unknown number call I receive anymore. Most have turned out to be scams, the others are usually charities.

We are on the Do Not Call list, but you wouldn't know it.

My cell? No one but family has it.

I agree. I always google unknown numbers. Usually scams here in UK too.

So glad the poster found out what was going on.

These boards can be a godsend.

Actually you can win a decent prize without entering. ........ 4 years ago I received a fedex stating I was a finalist in a contest for 1 million frequent flier miles.

The difference is that it was delivered Fed Ex.

Yesterday, I received a post card with RCCL's logos all over it saying they had just "opened a new office in my neighborhood" and were giving me a free 7 night cruise.

Yet, the card was from Florida and there was no indication where this "new office" might be.

Scam!

Another common one that I've gotten more than once on my cell-an automated call from "the bank" informing me that due to a problem my debit card has been suspended. I was walking into a store at the time & intended to use the card. It was a place I do business with quite a bit so I explained what had just happened & could they try the transaction even though there may be a problem. Well, the card was fine (of course!) and when I called my bank the next day they said that there had been other reports of the same scam-be aware!

Most of the time it is a either a scam for time shares or a internet travel agency that tries to sell you more travel services. If you are not sure of any "free" offer contact RCI or Carnival and they will tell you they do not give druies away free only the last night of a cruise with bingo.

A while bck DH received such a phone call and we went to "pick up" our certificate. They had us sit thru a pitch for us to by into a "Vacation Club" at a really high cost{ which the continually lowered aswe continues to say no). Finally, they gave up and presented us with our "gift" cruise voucher. On closer study andresearch we found that the upfront fees would exceed the cost were we to get the cruise from RCCL. Simply put, our experience was a scam and it sounds like your offer. I would ignore that kind of call.

I got a letter in the mail yesterday, hand written address on the front, saying that we had won a cruise and to call....blah, blah. If you do a search, it's a scam!

The one time I REALLY did win a cruise (to Alaska!) it was from a legitimate travel agency (who first said "this isn't a scam!" when they told me I won!).

Archived