6663ks

6663KS

I'm new to cc and would like to know what experience cruisers think of taking tours in cairo, istanbule, and st. petersburg. ship verse local, dollar value and hasel in regard to visas. any info would be grate.

thank you 666ks

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

There is a board for Turkey, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

One for Cairo, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

and one for St Petersburg, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Issues with visas in Russia are covered extensively on the St Petersburg board, and on the Turkey baord for Istanbul. Can't help you with Cairo.

Also, to help you with passport/visa issues, your nationality would be helpful.

Also, putting a title on your post relative to your questions will get you more responses.

In all ports you can usually find better private excursions at lower prices than the cruise line. However, you must do you homework to figure out what you want to do and find a good guide to take you there.

thank you Paul & Bruce for your quick responce, as I said in the post that I'm new to CC and I'm still trying to find my way. I have been surfing the web for 2 months looking at prices and reviews. I think every one is very happy with what they chose, but I was looking if some one might have done both. I will look at all the info you have recomended I will get better, I hope. cheers

I'm new to cc and would like to know what experience cruisers think of taking tours in cairo, istanbule, and st. petersburg. ship verse local, dollar value and hasel in regard to visas. any info would be grate.

thank you 666ks

thank you 666ks

Three different ports I'd do in three different ways.

Cairo. Long drive, whether from a Med or Red Sea port.

Ships' coaches are rather regimented,, they drive to Cairo in convoy (quite a sight) before splitting into different tours. Quite persistent street vendors. There can be security issues. And currently that may mean the ship missing the port at short notice - if ships' tours are consequently cancelled, you don't lose your tour money.

Definately not for DIY, mebbe a private tour subject to cancellation policy, one of the few places I'd take ship's tour.

Istanbul.

Ship ports in the city. Safe city (subject to usual precautions) & very easy to DIY by taking the 15 minute tram ride from port to the old district of Sultanahmet, then easy walking round most of the sights. Best private guided tours are also probably by tram/on foot, due to traffic. Ship's tours likely to be slow & a bit of a cattle market. I've never heard of Istnbul being cancelled from a cruise itinerary.

I'd go DIY.

St Pete's.

DIY means fixing up personal visas, this is slow, complicated, time-consuming, expensive. And you'd need to be able to speak/read Russian. Organised tours, whether ship's tours or privately organised with an accredited local tour operator, include a group visa in the arrangements/price. Privately-organised tours generally alittle cheaper than ship's tours & in smaller groups, thus much better. I've never heard of St Pete's being cancelled from a cruise itinerary.

I'd go with a local tour operator.

Just MHO.;)

And just goes to show, you can never say ships tour/private tour/DIY is best. It all depends on the port & other circumstances.

JB :)

We've been to all of those ports and I would agree with "John Bull", especially about Cairo..a ships orchestrated tour only. Cairo is just too far away from the port and too many things could go amiss.

Three different ports I'd do in three different ways.

Cairo. Long drive, whether from a Med or Red Sea port.

Ships' coaches are rather regimented,, they drive to Cairo in convoy (quite a sight) before splitting into different tours. Quite persistent street vendors. There can be security issues. And currently that may mean the ship missing the port at short notice - if ships' tours are consequently cancelled, you don't lose your tour money.

Definately not for DIY, mebbe a private tour subject to cancellation policy, one of the few places I'd take ship's tour.

Istanbul.

Ship ports in the city. Safe city (subject to usual precautions) & very easy to DIY by taking the 15 minute tram ride from port to the old district of Sultanahmet, then easy walking round most of the sights. Best private guided tours are also probably by tram/on foot, due to traffic. Ship's tours likely to be slow & a bit of a cattle market. I've never heard of Istnbul being cancelled from a cruise itinerary.

I'd go DIY.

St Pete's.

DIY means fixing up personal visas, this is slow, complicated, time-consuming, expensive. And you'd need to be able to speak/read Russian. Organised tours, whether ship's tours or privately organised with an accredited local tour operator, include a group visa in the arrangements/price. Privately-organised tours generally alittle cheaper than ship's tours & in smaller groups, thus much better. I've never heard of St Pete's being cancelled from a cruise itinerary.

I'd go with a local tour operator.

Just MHO.;)

And just goes to show, you can never say ships tour/private tour/DIY is best. It all depends on the port & other circumstances.

JB :)

Great advice from JB...we were fortunate in Cairo. We arranged a local tour before our cruise and the traffic from Alexandria to Cairo was horrendous. We managed to visit the Cairo Museum and the Pyramids...but had to run back just to make the ship. :) In Istanbul, we went with a local tour operator as well...it will be DIY next time...everything's within walking distance. :) In St. Petersburg, we used the ships excursion (rarely do we use the ship's excursions) because of the visa situation. In addition, it was difficult to communicate with local tour operators. If we cruise on our own, we typically do DIY. If we are with family and friends...we plan in advance and search for local operators. If we are with disabled or "senior" family members...most likely it will be with the ship. JB is correct...it all depends on the ports and other circumstances.

Archived