Man gets prison time for dropping cruise ship's anchor

Swelldame

He's from CA. We can't even put our violent criminals in jail. The prisons and jails are so overcrowded, even hardened criminals are being let out early or not convicted at all.

I hope HAL slaps a huge civil suit on him. I'm sure they will. Bye bye RV dealership.

Underline mine.

That was my point. The jails are stuffed full.

He's going to a Federal Pen though, isn't he?

What is amazing to me, is that this is the first time I've heard about this fiasco which took place in Nov. of 2010, (over a year ago), on , a cruise which probably was over the Thanksgiving holiday..

Surprised, we haven't read about it in our Fla Press & I've not even seen it reported here on Cruise Critic before this..

Only explanation, I can think of is HAL hushed it up & the Psgrs. did not know why they were summoned in the early morning hours to their Muster stations..

As one poster said, we probably don't have the full story..

Betty

Underline mine.

That was my point. The jails are stuffed full.

He's going to a Federal Pen though, isn't he?

Good point! I did a follow-up after reading that article, and I guess it was the FBI who arrested him. I don't think CA overcrowding would be a factor. Altho, I'm sure the overcrowding is everywhere...it's particularly bad here.

Surprised, we haven't read about it in our Fla Press & I've not even seen it reported here on Cruise Critic before this..

Here's the original thread, I think.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1316027

And here's one that I started 6 months later when I read that he wanted the charges dropped.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1450038

Serendipity (Betty)

It wasn't kept secret.....

here's a link to one thread about it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1325972&highlight=passenger+releases+anchor+ryndam

There might have been others.

Thanks Judy, I missed that..We were on the Noordam at the time & probably missed the news about it after that... Hope he really had anxious mements until his court date & has learned a lesson from it..

But IMO he got off easy!

Betty

All the guests and crew dragged out of bed and forced to report to life boat stations in the middle of the night.

Just to think how all those people could have been injured or worse.

That's a horrible experience for them.

Captain had to be beside himself with fury.

Too bad he didn't get to testify at the trial.... that would have told the jerk 'what for'.

They should have tied him to an anchor and tossed the anchor overboard. Talk about a ridiculously light sentence. They should also give him an involuntary vasectomy so his obviously defective gene pool can not be passed on to the next generation. BTW - I was going to say involuntary castration but someone out there would probably say that it was a violation of his rights and also cruel and unusual punishment.

DON

2 months in a minimum security federal slam & 2 months home confinement & 3 years probation, that's more than enough for the incident.

The fine should've been enough IMO.

Martha Stewart got 5 months in prison and 5 months home confinement for lying (not the actual insider trading, just lying about it), a crime that endangered no one's life.

Martha Stewart got 5 months in prison and 5 months home confinement for lying (not the actual insider trading, just lying about it), a crime that endangered no one's life.

yes that was after a trial. This was a plea bargain. There is a penalty in Federal court for going to trial and losing. She was offered a no jail time plea and refused it....

We haven't heard anything about that have we? I would have thought there would be a dandy one.

They can sue for loses and damages and possibly some punitive amount but not much more than that. I don't know if I have ever seen a report of what damage was done or what it cost to fix it. It's actually a double edged sword for HAL as they'd have to go through a court case exposing potential lapses in security, etc., and that might not be good press. The larger Carnival corporation probably has enough negative press to deal with considering the Costa situation without drawing more attention to themselves.

The VERY last thing that HAL wants is more publicity about this.

Right now, the public focus appears to be on the perp. and his sentence...was is too long, too short, etc.

With lots of publicity, the focus will quickly turn to HAL and how this could happen. There will be at least two questions. This first, how could someone in an drunken state enter a restricted area and acomplish what he did-especially when the picture I saw seemed to indicate that no one was about? The second question will be about the effectiveness and quality of HAL's on board security How could this happen and how many other areas of a ship are at risk?

These are two questions that HAL does not want raised in a public forum. Because if they are, they will lead to more embarassing questions for HAL and for the cruise industry. Given the recent Costa issues, the last thing that the cruise industry wants is more public scrutiny. The industry wants to focus us on the warm and fuzzy attributes.

I am much more concerned about how it was able to occur on a ship than I am about the persom who was jailed for the offence. I actually think that he may have done HAL a favor.....if they take some learnings from this and apply it to their overall security measures and ship design.

I have a question, not sure how it works. I saw the video where he was. Are these area's of restriction monitored? Meaning through security, does security watch monitors that are live so they can see area's in case someone does wander into them? Sorry if I am not wordin this correctly.

I have a question, not sure how it works. I saw the video where he was. Are these area's of restriction monitored? Meaning through security, does security watch monitors that are live so they can see area's in case someone does wander into them? Sorry if I am not wordin this correctly.

on most ships they have hundreds if not thousands of cameras...impossible to watch them all. They tape them and look back when something happens...

Archived