Cruise Protection Insurance

Ted W

CCL offers cruise /tripinsurance at about a rate of $100 per guest. Does anyone have first hand experience with this,or outside of CCL insurance. The outside companies seem to be much cheaper

We use an outside company as well. We prefer travel guard. Platinum plan comes to $110 for both of us (not each). Unfortunately, we've had to use them in the past due to a family emergency back home during our Alaskan cruise. They were absolutely wonderful and we were reimbursed within 6 weeks. We've also used access america in the past. There are definitely better options out there. Do your research and decide for yourself the plan that you'd prefer.

But, speaking from experience, definitely get it. We never thought we'd have to use it. I'll never travel without it.

Good luck!

We check through insuremytrip dot com. We usually wind up picking who Tink35 uses. For our next cruise, we came out to $96 total for 2. not per person; that's the total! And the coverage is tremendously higher than Carnival's. It was their 2nd highest. That company we use has a more bare bones, basic coverage plan for even less, and that coverage is on par with Carnival's. So there really is no reason to go through Carnival.

There may be extra steps to take if you need to file a claim, but the chances are that you won't need to. It's worth the savings to take the extra steps.

We always buy our travel insurance from Access America.

Had to file a $312 claim one year and we received a check for that amount two weeks after we returned home. It was when my Dad passed away and we flew down a day later than we had planned so had to pay the flight deviation fee, plus the difference in the flight costs. We had been on the phone with Access America several times, before he passed and after, and they were so very kind. I don't even look at other companies, we just go with them for every cruise.

We always get Travelguard Gold. Pay around $300 for 4 adults. Put in a claim 2 Christmas's ago - got every penny back we layed out when dd got ill on Dream and I stayed in Belize with her for 3 days in hospital. Just put in another claim 2 weeks ago when I came down with Norovirus the day before I was supposed to fly to Miami to board Glory. I am sure I will get back all my expenses there, also. Never used CCL's insurance as it was more expensive, and didn't cover as much as Travelguard. (never used to cover airfare - I think they added that now to CCL's coverage)

We just got Global Alert! which was about $125 for both of us. It had the cancel for work reasons option included which was most important, as that was the only foreseeable reason why we would need to cancel.

I usually use Travel Guard but did a comparison and found that TravelSafe had more coverage in the areas we needed, $206 total for a 15 day cruise.

I've used both, but the time we had to actually use the travel insurance (you may have ready the story of DH's heart attack on board), we had TravelSafe. They were fantastic! Covered everything, and either paid directly or fully reimbursed us within a couple weeks of filing the claims. I was very pleased with their service.

Archived