Lost luggage

DvsDave

We flew into LAX on Monday on United Airlines and our luggage was not there. It came on the next flight 3 hours later and we had to take a taxi to the cruise terminal.

I think they should reimburse us for the $25 baggage fee and the $64 taxi fare. Does anyone know the best way to do this?

I agree they SHOULD reimburse you. I guess they no longer deliver the lost bags. I would start with customer service

The United Airline lost luggage representative told us that they do not deliver to cruise ships anymore. That is why we waited 3 hours for the next flight to come in.

Other than a time delay - are you out any actual monies? Did you have other travel arrangements. If you were taking a cab to the ship anyway, you aren't really out anything but time...which they won't pay for anyway. Unfortunately if you read the fine print on the ticketing the airlines owe you nothing (and doesn't that stink!). Your bag isn't 'lost' until they can't find it for more then 24 hours, and delays in delivery are allowed. They have basically made it so that they can treat your stuff like crap with no penalty unless they completely destroy your bag or lose it entirely.

We flew into LAX on Monday on United Airlines and our luggage was not there. It came on the next flight 3 hours later and we had to take a taxi to the cruise terminal.

I think they should reimburse us for the $25 baggage fee and the $64 taxi fare. Does anyone know the best way to do this?

I tried to get taxi and luggage fee reimbursed when this happened to me and I never got anywhere. I finally decided to drop it after 6 months of phone calls and letters. It was frustrating.

You are lucky....my luggage was lost for 2 days. I did go out (2 days in Miami) and buy some things during those 2 days and Delta did reimburse me for my purchases.

..... Your bag isn't 'lost' until they can't find it for more then 24 hours, and delays in delivery are allowed. They have basically made it so that they can treat your stuff like crap with no penalty unless they completely destroy your bag or lose it entirely.
Baggage delays are very common. That is why people carry all necessities and changes of clothing in their carry-on bags when they fly.

It is also one of the main reasons why people going on a cruise will fly to the embarkation port at least a day early, giving their checked luggage time to catch up with them if it arrives on a later flight.

When the airline needs to hold back bags, it is more likely that the bags of coach passengers will be delayed than those of first class passengers.

If the airlines were required to pay people for every piece of luggage that has been put on a later flight, they would all have gone out of business many years ago. :eek:

Even if they lose your bag entirely, there is a limit on how much they are required to pay you and in most cases that is well below the actual value of the items lost and far below the replacement cost.

The United Airline lost luggage representative told us that they do not deliver to cruise ships anymore. That is why we waited 3 hours for the next flight to come in.

SORRY That's really lousy to have to sit there and wait - what happens if it isn't on that next flight even when they say it will be???

What happens if you are flying in the same day (which we never do but could happen to all of us if there is a weather or some type of delay or because of your job) and can not stay around for the next flight - lets say with rush hour in LA and you need to get to port as soon as possible?

Will they deliver to a hotel?

About 40 years ago, the airline lost our luggage flying into LA. THat's before non-stops to Hawaii so we had to stay over in LA. No luggage and they said they would get it to us at our hotel in Hawaii. We got in at 10am with no carry on other than my purse and I was wearing a jumpsuit (for two days) and dh had a sweater. Nice way to spend the first day on the beach. Our luggage arrived at 10 pm that night. Our next trip and everyone after that included a carry on with change of clothes, swimsuits and a few extras.

I don't understand:confused: Why won't they deliver it to cruise ships anymore? My mom and I had our luggage delayed 3 days on a repositioning cruise from Acapolco to Seattle. The luggage met up with us in Cabo. We weren't going back to Acapolco so would we have just been out of luck. Or would they have flown it back to Boston where we originated and we would have had to trek back to the airport when we got back?

I would have been pretty angry. :eek:

I don't understand:confused: Why won't they deliver it to cruise ships anymore? My mom and I had our luggage delayed 3 days on a repositioning cruise from Acapolco to Seattle. The luggage met up with us in Cabo. We weren't going back to Acapolco so would we have just been out of luck. Or would they have flown it back to Boston where we originated and we would have had to trek back to the airport when we got back?

I would have been pretty angry. :eek:

When your luggage does not show up at baggage claim, you stop at the baggage counter of the appropriate airline to file a report and show them your claim check stub for each missing bag.

That is where you give them your contact information, specifying your destination, where you want the bags delivered, and where you will be on which dates.

So if you want the bags delivered to Seattle, that is what you would enter into your file along with the address where you will be staying in Seattle.

They typically give you a tracking number and contact information so that you can track the bag either on the internet or by telephone, or both ways.

If you fly on a major airline, your luggage tag will have a bar code that gets scanned at each transfer point along the route. That location will show up each time you check the progress of the bag so you will know its last recorded location en route, much like tracking a UPS package that you are expecting.

I know for a fact that Delta only reimburses the baggage fees if your luggage is delayed 12 hours or more.

Not true. My luggage was lost when I arrived in Miami 2 days pre-cruise. The morning I was leaving the hotel for the ship I found out that my luggage was finally at the Miami airport but they told me they could not deliver it until that evening. Well by that time I was going to be on the ship and gone, so I had no choice but to take a cab back to the airport to get it myself. They would not reimburse me for the baggage fee or the cost of the cab. However during those 2 days I bought about $100 worth of things I needed and they did reimburse me for that.

As the above poster said you are able to track your bags. In those 2 days while it was missing I found out it had gone from Georgia (where I live) to Salt Lake City and then to Seattle and then to Alaska and finally made it back to Miami just in time for my cruise. Needless to say those 2 days were quite stressful.

That just does not seem fare. Why do you have to waste your time and cab money to have to run back to the airport for your luggage.

Does your travel insurance cover any of it?

I always have a few things in my carry on. I'd be mad enough that I'd go out and purchase a few things and let them pay for it and then tell them to ship my luggage back home. I can live in my swiming suit during the day and a couple outfits for lunch.

Does anyone know for sure if it is just for cruise ships??

United loses luggage all the time. My husband's a frequent flyer with them for business and they've lost his luggage at least 5 times in the last year or so. They've always found it, but a couple of times more than 24 hours later. One suitcase was completely ruined. They do still do delivery for premiere members (though I don't know about to cruise ships). We live 45 min from the airport and it's gotten to where the luggage delivery driver knows who my husband is lol

We are flying in to our departure port the day before, just in case, and all important stuff, including a couple of changes of clothes, will go in the carry on.

That just does not seem fare. Why do you have to waste your time and cab money to have to run back to the airport for your luggage.

Does your travel insurance cover any of it?

I always have a few things in my carry on. I'd be mad enough that I'd go out and purchase a few things and let them pay for it and then tell them to ship my luggage back home. I can live in my swiming suit during the day and a couple outfits for lunch.

Does anyone know for sure if it is just for cruise ships??

The reason I had to waste my time and cab money was because it was the only way possible to get my luggage. On Sunday morning I was told that my luggage was at the Miami airport after being lost for 2 days. I was told they would deliver it to my hotel (I was at the downtown Hyatt in Miami) that evening. I told them my ship sailed that day at 5pm so I would not be at the hotel at 7pm. I was then told that I would have to come and pick it up myself at the airport if I wanted it before sailing. So my only option was to take a cab to the Miami airport to get it. When I arrived there and went to the lost baggage area at Delta I was told that my luggage had come in on an Alaska airlines flight so I would have to go to the Alaska counter to get my luggage which was on the other end of the airport.

Delta refused to reimburse me for the cab fare but did reimburse me for things I had to purchase during the 2 days my luggage was lost. Yes, I did have travel insurance but they also refused to reimburse me for the cab fare.........said it wasn't a covered item. Yes, I did have a carryon with a change of clothes but not enough to last a 7 day cruise.

The whole experience was a nightmare. Nothing can reimburse me for my frustration.

United loses luggage all the time. My husband's a frequent flyer with them for business and they've lost his luggage at least 5 times in the last year or so. They've always found it, but a couple of times more than 24 hours later............

We are flying in to our departure port the day before, just in case, and all important stuff, including a couple of changes of clothes, will go in the carry on.

That is how we do it too. We take everything that we really need with us in our carry-ons including enough clothing for about 4 or 5 days because we are not willing to waste any of our vacation time shopping for replacements.

If necessary, we could get by for an entire cruise of 14 days or longer with what we have in our carry-ons, by using the ship's laundry and dry cleaning services.

Like your husband, our luggage has also been delayed many times throughout our years of travel. Most of the time it arrived on the next flight, or by the next day. It always caught up with us eventually except for one time years ago when one suitcase was permanently lost, (but that is another story).

In any case, we file the report and go on our way, figuring that the missing bags will catch up with us sooner or later.

We are not willing to sit around the airport for hours waiting for it to arrive, and we are certainly not going to let delayed luggage ruin our vacation.

Sure it is an annoying inconvenience, but hardly a major catastrophe.

The reason I had to waste my time and cab money was because it was the only way possible to get my luggage. On Sunday morning I was told that my luggage was at the Miami airport after being lost for 2 days. I was told they would deliver it to my hotel (I was at the downtown Hyatt in Miami) that evening. I told them my ship sailed that day at 5pm so I would not be at the hotel at 7pm. I was then told that I would have to come and pick it up myself at the airport if I wanted it before sailing. So my only option was to take a cab to the Miami airport to get it. When I arrived there and went to the lost baggage area at Delta I was told that my luggage had come in on an Alaska airlines flight so I would have to go to the Alaska counter to get my luggage which was on the other end of the airport.

Delta refused to reimburse me for the cab fare but did reimburse me for things I had to purchase during the 2 days my luggage was lost. Yes, I did have travel insurance but they also refused to reimburse me for the cab fare.........said it wasn't a covered item. Yes, I did have a carryon with a change of clothes but not enough to last a 7 day cruise.

The whole experience was a nightmare. Nothing can reimburse me for my frustration.

A gain, so sorry you had to go thru that - I'd be so pissed!!!

I hope you didn't let it ruin your cruise. Attitude on any vacation can make or break your experience. Its not what happens that matters, but how you respond. If you can roll with the punchs, laugh at the worst inconveniences and the rudest people, and always look for an alternative that will work and never let it bring you down, then you can be pretty much guaranteed to have a great time no matter what.

I hope you didn't let it ruin your cruise. Attitude on any vacation can make or break your experience. Its not what happens that matters, but how you respond. If you can roll with the punchs, laugh at the worst inconveniences and the rudest people, and always look for an alternative that will work and never let it bring you down, then you can be pretty much guaranteed to have a great time no matter what.

No, I didn't let it ruin my cruise. I was upset with Delta because my luggage left Georgia on its way to Miami and somehow went to Salt Lake City instead, then went to Seattle and then on to Alaska and finally making it back to Miami just in time for me to pick it up for my cruise. I felt that somewhere along the line Delta dropped the ball.

I was just thankful to finally see my luggage again and thankfully in time for my ship to sail.

Archived