Gratuity Guideline Question

I have searched tipping/gratuity in this forum and haven't found a specific answer to my question so figured to add it to the Board since this is

my first cruise with RCI.

I will be sailing on the Liberty the 2nd week of May. I always like to tip a little higher than suggested because I've always felt like the crew might be underpaid and they (for the most part) work very hard. I printed out the RCI Gratuity Guidelines and had some questions.

1. It shows tip amounts for the 3 types of waiters (waiter, assist waiter, head waiter) We are a party of 2 - will all 3 of these waiters be assisting us? Ive been on a handful of cruises in the past with a different line and the most I had was 2, so was just curious.

2. The guideline states 15% gratuity is automatically added to any purchases in the bar. Are these cost included in the drink price or is each item lined on the receipt.

Thank You

I have searched tipping/gratuity in this forum and haven't found a specific answer to my question so figured to add it to the Board since this is

my first cruise with RCI.

I will be sailing on the Liberty the 2nd week of May. I always like to tip a little higher than suggested because I've always felt like the crew might be underpaid and they (for the most part) work very hard. I printed out the RCI Gratuity Guidelines and had some questions.

1. It shows tip amounts for the 3 types of waiters (waiter, assist waiter, head waiter) We are a party of 2 - will all 3 of these waiters be assisting us? Ive been on a handful of cruises in the past with a different line and the most I had was 2, so was just curious.

yes..though you probably won't see the head waiter as often..s/he should come by each day to check on you

2. The guideline states 15% gratuity is automatically added to any purchases in the bar. Are these cost included in the drink price or is each item lined on the receipt.

IIRC it is a separate line....

Thank You

see above....

i usually tip the head waiter a bit extra, as i generally wind up getting him/her to score me the same time/table/staff each night when i have MTD, and they are, in my experience, very good. Last time, our headwaiter got a nice extra gratuity since he really went above and beyond, and put up with me moving tables twice...once due to bad location, and the other when a bunch of us decided to eat together......he also got one of my favorite waiters to take care of us....though i think by the end they were probably happy to see us leave!! LOL...(just kidding!)

STAFF TIPS

There are 3 different types of wait staff, main waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter. Main takes orders and brings food. Assistant refills drinks, brings bread and clears the table. Head waiter will assist you with any problems and over sees the entire dining experience. NORMALLY the head waiter will see you at least one time during your cruise to make sure things are "ok" with your dining experience.

DRINK TIPS

The tips for bar tabs or any other type of drink alcoholic or not you get and pay for will have the 15% already included in the price that you owe.

Most staff on board depend on passenger tips and receive very little salary. These folks work hard for the money they earn to provide you with an outstanding vacation experience.

DRINK TIPS

The tips for bar tabs or any other type of drink alcoholic or not you get and pay for will have the 15% already included in the price that you owe.

To clarify what Tyler80 said, the prices listed on the bar menus do not have the gratuity included. When you get your slip to sign, you'll see the individual drink items, a line for the standard 15% gratuity added on, and another line for any extra (discretionary) gratuity you wish to add.

STAFF TIPS

There are 3 different types of wait staff, main waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter. Main takes orders and brings food. Assistant refills drinks, brings bread and clears the table. Head waiter will assist you with any problems and over sees the entire dining experience. NORMALLY the head waiter will see you at least one time during your cruise to make sure things are "ok" with your dining experience.

DRINK TIPS

Most staff on board depend on passenger tips and receive very little salary. These folks work hard for the money they earn to provide you with an outstanding vacation experience.

I think the tipping guidelines are fine but it does bother me a little that the cruise industry can get away with paying the head waiter so little. After all they really are a Dining Room Manager and should be compensated by the owner and not the customer.

Thanks so much everyone! All the information provided was really helpful. I like to get all my money together for tips in advance and place it to the side once I board so I have no worries when the time comes to stuff the envelopes.

I also agree with compensating the Head Waiter with a higher salary.

Since this cruise is in Europe, would Euros over USD be more acceptable for tipping purposes? I have yet to decide how and where I will convert my money before heading to Barcelona for the cruise.

I think the tipping guidelines are fine but it does bother me a little that the cruise industry can get away with paying the head waiter so little. After all they really are a Dining Room Manager and should be compensated by the owner and not the customer.

The head waiter, or dining room captain, is responsible for a particular section of the dining room which is served by a number of waiter/assistant waiter teams. On many occasions his duties include helping the wait staff serve you and he is responsible for the overall performance of your wait staff. I'm not sure of just how many tables he or she oversees, but I believe that this number is the reason that the suggested tip per person for the headwaiter is lower than the amounts mentioned for waiters and asst. waiters. His or her overall earnings are likely at least equal if not higher than that received by the others.:)

The head waiters receive a salary much higher than a waiter and there is less direct service to the customer therefore the recommended tip is much lower.

The head waiters receive a salary much higher than a waiter and there is less direct service to the customer therefore the recommended tip is much lower.

Interesting that there seems to only be "head waiters" on cruise ships and this is rarely the case in a land based restaurant. Just imagine, if you followed cruise tipping guidelines in a land based restaurant.

Interesting that there seems to only be "head waiters" on cruise ships and this is rarely the case in a land based restaurant. Just imagine, if you followed cruise tipping guidelines in a land based restaurant.

:)

You would definitely be paying less in gratuities than the typical 15 to 20% customarily paid at a land-based restaurant.

Thanks so much everyone! All the information provided was really helpful. I like to get all my money together for tips in advance and place it to the side once I board so I have no worries when the time comes to stuff the envelopes.

I also agree with compensating the Head Waiter with a higher salary.

Since this cruise is in Europe, would Euros over USD be more acceptable for tipping purposes? I have yet to decide how and where I will convert my money before heading to Barcelona for the cruise.

From your original post it looks like you may be sailing on Liberty when we are.

It is worth noting that if it is the same as last year, with the ship sailing out of Barcelona and not visiting a non-EU port, there will be 8% Spanish VAT added to on board purchases, so your bar bill will have an entry for 15% gratuity and an additional line for 8% VAT. In effect your drinks will cost 23% higher than the price on the menu.

As for cash tips, I have had it confirmed by a member of staff who has sailed in Europe previously and is back on Liberty and will still be onboard when she sails in Europe, that staff appreciate Euros as they can spend these easily in port and do not have to have $USD bills exchanged by guest relations and losing out on the exchange rate.

The head waiter is basically part of the dining room management and thus receives a larger salary than everyone else which is why the cost per passenger pay is so little.

If the head waiter is really part of management, he does not get tipped. I do not tip management - I tip staff.

DON

Yes we are sailing at the same time, I noticed that from the Roll Call :)

I actually never heard of a Spanish VAT %, that is good to know.

Is this % placed on ALL purchases on board or just alcohol?

From your original post it looks like you may be sailing on Liberty when we are.

It is worth noting that if it is the same as last year, with the ship sailing out of Barcelona and not visiting a non-EU port, there will be 8% Spanish VAT added to on board purchases, so your bar bill will have an entry for 15% gratuity and an additional line for 8% VAT. In effect your drinks will cost 23% higher than the price on the menu.

As for cash tips, I have had it confirmed by a member of staff who has sailed in Europe previously and is back on Liberty and will still be onboard when she sails in Europe, that staff appreciate Euros as they can spend these easily in port and do not have to have $USD bills exchanged by guest relations and losing out on the exchange rate.

Yes we are sailing at the same time, I noticed that from the Roll Call :)

I actually never heard of a Spanish VAT %, that is good to know.

Is this % placed on ALL purchases on board or just alcohol?

Well you've picked a great ship for your RCI cruise IMHO, see you onboard!

The 8% VAT is added to bar purchases (including non alcoholic drinks) and speciality restaurants.

It should be added to other on board purchases including the Day Spa, Logo store and photo gallery. However, this is the full Spanish rate of 18%.

However, on our transatlantic sailing I noticed that there were signs in the shops that they would pay the VAT on shop sales.

What continues to amaze me is that the cruise industry can legally get away with not having to comply with Dept. of Labor rules when the cruise originates and ends from a US port.

It's the country the ship is registered in, not the embarkation/disembarkation port country, that determines which country's laws they comply with. That is why none of the mainstream cruiselines, except NCL America, have ships that are registered in USA

What continues to amaze me is that the cruise industry can legally get away with not having to comply with Dept. of Labor rules when the cruise originates and ends from a US port.

The price of your cruise would be through the roof if they did. You can bet it wouldnt come out of their pockets!

It's the country the ship is registered in, not the embarkation/disembarkation port country, that determines which country's laws they comply with. That is why none of the mainstream cruiselines, except NCL America, have ships that are registered in USA

This also amazes me because I know of no land based hospitality/tourisim business(restaurant,hotel, etc.) that can legally register their business in another country even if they are allowed to hire documented employees from another country. Land based hospitality businesses have to comply with US Labor Laws.

I really don't understand all the questions on tipping. RCCL provides a guideline for tipping and provides a way to automatically get the tips to the provider of service to make it even more conventient. If someone wants to add more go for it. What the servers make is of no concern to me other than I will provide at least the recommended amount. RCCL has determined that amount is a reasonable number. I know that if the amount of tip was not a workable number RCCL would not be able to keep staff. It really is a simple system that is in place. Just roll with it. Questions from new cruisers are understandable but it seem many veteran cruisers have all sorts of questions and concerns...why? If you want to tip more just do it.

. Land based hospitality businesses have to comply with US Labor Laws.

That is because they are actually on US land :) All cruise ships do is dock for less than a day to turn around and sail out again.

The price of your cruise would be through the roof if they did. You can bet it wouldnt come out of their pockets!

You are probably right. However, sometimes I feel as if the cruise industry takes advantage of their service employees.

Well you've picked a great ship for your RCI cruise IMHO, see you onboard!

The 8% VAT is added to bar purchases (including non alcoholic drinks) and speciality restaurants.

It should be added to other on board purchases including the Day Spa, Logo store and photo gallery. However, this is the full Spanish rate of 18%.

However, on our transatlantic sailing I noticed that there were signs in the shops that they would pay the VAT on shop sales.

Oh, another question then regarding VAT. If you wait until you are aboard to book an excursion, speciality dining, wine or Spa packages, etc., will you have to pay that 8% VAT?

Oh, another question then regarding VAT. If you wait until you are aboard to book an excursion, speciality dining, wine or Spa packages, etc., will you have to pay that 8% VAT?
I don't remember it being charged on shore excursions but I may be mistaken. I know that you will pay it on speciality restaurants on board including the Chops Grille options in the MDR.

You will pay it on Spa and wine packages once onboard. The prices for wine packages available online prior to boarding do include the VAT element (or they did last year).

On each sailing out of Barcelona we've done (Adventure in 2010 when the VAT rates were 17% and 7%, Liberty in 2011 when the rates had increased to 18% and 8%) we were provided with a letter in our stateroom detailing the rates to be levied and the reasons why.

I believe we have paid the VAT element on our Chops and Portofino reservations we have made online in the last few days. A little hard to tell as the $20 for Portofino and $30 for Chops per person is converted to GBP£ by RCI when we book in advance. But a cost for 2 people of $40 + 8% = $43.20 and using an exchange rate of $1.587 = £1 seems a reasonable rate today as this is a very similar exchange rate RCI have used in the past and results in the charge of £27.22.

If the $40 was converted to £27.22 it means exchange rate of 1.469 which I think is a little low.

Archived