What Do You Think? Costa to HAL?

sail7seas

How's this for a thought.........

Costa, as a brand, is going to have a hard time building back a good image.

So..... what is Carnival to do with all those ships if they decide to shut Costa down?

Ditch the brand and move the ships around the fleet???? Anyone want to see some of those ships in the HAL fleet?

We'd love to see HAL station a ship in San Juan and do 7 day itineraries out of there that are a little bit more port intensive. It would be a refreshing change from some of the stale itineraries they currently do out of Ft Lauderdale.

It seems to be working for Celebrity. Haven't looked into whether Princess does any of those, but by and large we'd prefer to travel on HAL.

Frankly, I think Costa fills a space in the European market, and will continue to make money for CCL after this patch of bad road. As we sit here across the great pond, we view things quite differently. To my mind, Costa is a European cruise line that caters mainly to Europeans, and I don't think they're ready to give up on Costa. Besides, they have their culprit, Schittino.

I don't know how many ships they had, but they just lost a big one and are not going to repair the smaller one that had the fire (it has been for sale for a long time).

The Costa board shows a lot of cruisers are not changing their plans to another line.

Frankly, I think Costa fills a space in the European market, and will continue to make money for CCL after this patch of bad road. As we sit here across the great pond, we view things quite differently. To my mind, Costa is a European cruise line that caters mainly to Europeans, and I don't think they're ready to give up on Costa. Besides, they have their culprit, Schittino.

I agree with you .. very European-oriented line .. if we want a taste of Europe, we go there ...

harry

According to Micky Arison, Carnival Corp. is going to keep the Costa brand: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4771

We'll see what Micky says 6 to 12 months from now...........as in stock price, profit or loss of the Costa brand.....and ultimately the board of directors and stockholders

HAL could do with some upgrading and some NEW ships. Something designed from the ground up..... My understanding is that Costa primarily uses the Carnival 'Spirit' hull-the same one that HAL uses. Not much imagination there.

HAL could do with some upgrading and some NEW ships. Something designed from the ground up..... My understanding is that Costa primarily uses the Carnival 'Spirit' hull-the same one that HAL uses. Not much imagination there.

Have you sailed Eurodam? We think her a wonderful ship...... somehow we didn't love Nieuw Amsterdam quite as much though. I can't put my finger on just why.

Have you sailed Noordam? We think HAL got her JUST right. !!! :)

I guess something all of us here on topics like this need to consider...

If this same situation that happened to Costa would have happened to our HAL, what would we all do? Would we still be booking and sailing HAL or would we all be looking for new cruiselines?

I love HAL and always call her ships "home" but other than that I can't say that I could answer that right now.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you sailed Eurodam? We think her a wonderful ship...... somehow we didn't love Nieuw Amsterdam quite as much though. I can't put my finger on just why.

We had two cruises on the Eurodam and then recently one on the Nieuw Amsterdam; we too prefer the Eurodam. :) Nothing to dislike about NA but Eurodam just seems nicer. Some of the color schemes on NA was just a bit off for me.

We had two cruises on the Eurodam and then recently one on the Nieuw Amsterdam; we too prefer the Eurodam. :) Nothing to dislike about NA but Eurodam just seems nicer. Some of the color schemes on NA was just a bit off for me.

we, too, were on the Eurodam twice and then recently on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Unsure what the difference in our preference was, as well... but, I think it was the color of the MDR.

We are headed back on the Nieuw Amsterdam to figure it out... (that's my excuse, anyway!)

The Noordam, because it was our first, will always be our favorite!

I guess something all of us here on topics like this need to consider...

If this same situation that happened to Costa would have happened to our HAL, what would we all do? Would we still be booking and sailing HAL or would we all be looking for new cruiselines?

I love HAL and always call her ships "home" but other than that I can't say that I could answer that right now.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of us here on the HAL board looked at Costa as a line we are not interested in to begin with--not the fit we are looking for BEFORE the Concordia catastrophe. The fire was not reallly different than the Carnival one last year but coming so soon after the January disaster on the same line made it seem worse. It does seem like they handled it much better showing better training.

I like HAL and would not stop sailing them if a tragedy happened. If there were repeated mistakes by a captain I might reconsider.

I can't say I wouldn't sail Costa because of their recent mishaps--they were not considered before January 13th either.

I received a promotional email today from Costa. Apparently Princess has given their prior guest email address book to Costa who are looking for more US based customers.

I'll pass on their offer.

We received the same email. We choose to sail HAL exclusively and will continue to do so. Passing on their offer, also. ;)

I received a promotional email today from Costa. Apparently Princess has given their prior guest email address book to Costa who are looking for more US based customers.

I'll pass on their offer.

I received it also today but it was worded "To past HAL guests".

The offer was for $100 OBC for inside, $200 for Outside, and $300 for balcony cabins.

Thanks but no thanks.:rolleyes:

Archived