Best price/combo is South to North, then land. Tell me it will be ok!

masonpips

Due to work and school schedules the best option we have for 2013 is:

Thur, June 27 - Fly into Vancover

Fri, June 28 - Fri, July 5 - Cruise on Radiance (RCCL) from Vancouver to Seward

Fri, July 5 - Fri, July 12 (give or take a day or two) - Land portion

I *know* everyone says to do land first so they can relax after. But this price/time off is the best bet. We will be two families of 4 with kids entering 10th and 8th grade next summer (1 boy/girl, 1 girl/boy).

We are just starting to plan land portion, know we want time in Denali. Probably don't want land/sea cruisetour because some of their options (and a group of 150) isn't our thing. We want to take the train. I have a friend in Anchorage, will link up w/her for a meal

We know that we'll be back (esp the 4 adults, once we get the kids to college!) and we want to do some things, but realize we cannot do it all.

Is it SO awful to do land last? My two positives are: 1) it takes away post cruise depression (we'll have land to look forward to) and 2) we can fly home Friday and have a weekend to recover.

Any thoughts? Did you do it and it was fine? THANKS!

I *know* everyone says to do land first so they can relax after. But this price/time off is the best bet. We will be two families of 4 with kids entering 10th and 8th grade next summer (1 boy/girl, 1 girl/boy).

We are just starting to plan land portion, know we want time in Denali. Probably don't want land/sea cruisetour because some of their options (and a group of 150) isn't our thing. We want to take the train. I have a friend in Anchorage, will link up w/her for a meal

We know that we'll be back (esp the 4 adults, once we get the kids to college!) and we want to do some things, but realize we cannot do it all.

Is it SO awful to do land last? My two positives are: 1) it takes away post cruise depression (we'll have land to look forward to) and 2) we can fly home Friday and have a weekend to recover.

I'm doing a similar schedule at the end of May. "Everyone" isn't always right - I don't think the cruise will be any more relaxing than the land portion what with all the hiking and excursions we have planned in each port. For us the land portion may be more relaxing.

I'm looking forward to the cruise as a build up to the grand sight of Denali (and hope I get to see the mountain).

If it fits your schedule and pocketbook then it is the right trip for you!

We did almost exactly what you are proposing. The only thoughts that we had were that it would have been easier to fly home from Vancouver than it was from Anchorage (it is about 3 hours longer).

I really think that it is better to do it the way you are suggesting because it is easier to adjust to the time difference slowly on the ship than the 5 hour jolt for us by flying directly to Anchorage.

Haven't done it, but it certainly wouldn't worry me! It's all in the planning. :) If you plan a bunch of busy excursions for every port and arrive in Seward worn out, and then you all hop in a car and drive to denali in a day, then continue driving every day, yeah, you might be exhausted. Just plan to stay 2 nights when possible to take the sting out of packing and moving each day.

Since you wanted to take the train, spend a leisurely day in Seward and take the 6pm train to Anchorage. That's the most scenic ride.

I highly recommend a car for the Denali portion of your trip. Otherwise you're stuck at the large hotels in Glitter Gulch by the Park Entrance. With a car you can drive 10 minutes to Carlo Creek or Healy and find a lovely cabin or B&B.

I think you'll have a fabulous trip! Wonderful family vacation.

You'll be fine. We did a northbound cruisetour on Princess in 2007 and will do the same cruise (and the other 4 members of our party will continue on the land tour) in 2012 because we wanted to start the vacation immediately and have the relatively relaxing part of the trip (the cruise) first.

The advantages to us in no particular order:

• Sailing out of Vancouver in the early evening daylight (as opposed to having to get up early on disembarkation morning) is spectacular
  • We still work and look forward to relaxing on the ship - especially since the first day is a sea day. The last two days (Glacier Bay and College Fjord) are also sea days so you arrive ready for the land tour well rested!
  • We learned so much from the on board naturalist on the cruise that served us well on the land tour.
  • We especially enjoyed the gradual change in scenery - from the temperate rain forests in the south to Denali. It just got better and better every day!
  • I too heard that northbound may be slightly less expensive than southbound (I've read that on CC before but I didn't confirm that).

So don't second guess yourself; it will be absolutely fabulous. Words really can't describe it. Enjoy!

I don't think it will make any difference which way you do it - just do it :)

I have also noticed that SB cruises are more expensive than NB ones - could be due to it being more popular as "everyone" says.

That said, having taken land vacations as well as cruise vacations, I find that the daily pack/unpack routine gets old quick and the cruise ship allows you to pack/unpack once every 7 days. :D

I have done two RT AK cruises (third in 102 days) and someday want to see the interior - either by flying up and touring around and fly home, or the cruise/tour route - this will be my next AK adventure - it will probably take me another 10 yrs to do it however. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sure it will be more than okay!:D

We're doing the SB but the nice thing about the NB is that the excitement will build for you as the scenery gets even more beautiful.

I know this isn't quite the same but for a comparison of land after cruise...we did a short land tour in Rome after a long, port intensive cruise of the Mediterranean. We had an elderly person & child among us and we did fine with an 8 hr whirlwind tour of Rome on our feet most of the day. In Alaska it will be a slower pace and you should do just fine.

Enjoy:)

We did a similar itinerary in 2009 and loved every minute. The weather kept getting better and warmer for the land portion and we had beautiful weather for Denali and got to see the mountain out for several days. You will love Alaska especially all those long hours of daylight!

Well, contrary, to some of the posts, I HAVE sailed northbound many times, with another booked this year.

It is PURE hogwash, the "land first< cruise second" recommendations. Clearly this, is most always from people with poor planning, and many times with cruisetours.

READ those "recommendations", the excuse is loaded with key words, rushed, early starts, late arrivals- on the go, long bus/train rides, relax on the ship. Tbey aren't for any touring Alaska reason. None say, on the northbound you do not have the option for A/B/C/D etc. And actually you are FAR better off with a northbound cruise in May and Sept, for the timing of Denali park.

So my clear 2 cents is- my trips are well planned, I don't "relax" on the ship, doing nothing. My whole trip is a "relax". My time is spent on my selected tours, which fit, my timeframe perfectly.

DO your homework, understand the time and distances required- too many underestimate this, less may be more. Work at your itinerary, don't jump into reservations, before your ENTIRE route and itinerary is set with all your selections. Keep, adjusting it, make changes, THINK of better ways to spend your money and time. Forget about the "reason to come back" stuff- do your best NOW. :) Flame away!!!!!

Archived