Boarding Time in Alaska?

TV Dad

I am researching a cruise aboard Sapphire Princess sailing Anchorage (Whittier) to Vancouver this summer.

The Princess web site says the ship sails at 8:30p. For planning purposes, does anyone know when embarkation begins?

When we cruised from Whittier, we boarded about 1:30pm, but I am pretty sure you could board earlier then that. But because Whittier is out in the boonies, we used the Princess ground transportation from Anchorage. So we had to wait for the bus to get to Whittier. This is one time that I think using the Princess ground transportation is the way to go.

Probably 11am, but more importantly, how are you getting to Whittier? It's pretty much Princess transfer or train...Not sure if public buses go there, and I have heard rental companies don't want to do one-way rentals. EM

I've checked on line and found a bunch of busses/vans offering transfers, but they don't get to Whittier until after 2:00.

I may splurge on a town car and driver!

If you do that, then you need to know about the one way tunnel before you get to Whittier. They open one way traffic for awhile and then they open the other way traffic. It changes, I think it changes every 1/2 hour, so expect delays for that. Of course a driver familiar with that area would know this.

We have taken the Princess bus from Anchorage to Whittier twice. The bus drivers have been very informative and sometimes they offer a stop at the Wildlife Preserve which was a wonderful addition to our land tour. The tunnel in the bus was quite an experience. We have arrived at the boat at 1:30 and at 2:00 which gave us plenty of time to explore before we left at 8. I'm not sure they start boarding before 1. I can't remember. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know how much the train fare is from Anchorage to Whittier?

Once we get to Whittier, how long a walk is it to the cruise terminal?

Are there porters at the train station who can take your luggage to the ship?

Is there anything to do in Whittier, within walking distance, before we board the ship?

Thanks Again,

TV Dad

If you do that, then you need to know about the one way tunnel before you get to Whittier. They open one way traffic for awhile and then they open the other way traffic. It changes, I think it changes every 1/2 hour, so expect delays for that. Of course a driver familiar with that area would know this.

I'm just curious...approximately how long does it take to drive through the tunnel once you have access?

Does anyone know how much the train fare is from Anchorage to Whittier?

Once we get to Whittier, how long a walk is it to the cruise terminal?

Are there porters at the train station who can take your luggage to the ship?

Is there anything to do in Whittier, within walking distance, before we board the ship?

Thanks Again,

TV Dad

Other than to take a boat tour to the glaciers, there is nothing to do in Whittier.

First picture is the terminal, second shows how close the train is:

BG-47.jpg

BG-46.jpg

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/whittier.html

Better picture:

BG-51.jpg

BG-52.jpg

We are strongly considering a PWS boat tour in Whittier the day of our cruise.

Has anyone checked in AND had enough time to board, drop stuff off in your stateroom, and then still make the boat tour?

We are arriving via PJs Taxi, so can arrive as early as we want.

Thanks,

Brad

I doubt if they will let you board that early, the day cruise we're on leaves at 12:15. Our voucher says check in at 11:15, I plan to call them a few days before to let them know that we're going to be on the train.

We are leaning towards the 12:45 day cruise. And I believe my past cruises have started boarding before noon. So, if they start early, and if don't have long lines, I would see being able to quickly get to the room and over to the day cruise office by 12:15. (Yes, that is a lot of "if"s)

Of course, not sure what that will gain us. I would like to drop off our luggage (which should not be a problem at all) and hopefully get our key card, if not make it on board.

Thanks,

Brad

The tunnel opening is on the half hour for 15 minutes, going TO Whittier. It only takes a few minutes. Fee $12, if driving.

there are one way car rentals with Avis. Although costly drop fees, IF you aren't planning on a lot of Alaska visits, the fees are well worth the cost, for all the touring you can consider. I never suggest anyone be in a rush to get on the ship. A full day of Alaska touring can be had- if of interest.

Out of Whittier, Prince William Sound boat tours are WAY superior to anything seen from your cruiseship. If you are traveling independent, there are some purchase coupon books for discounts. Very worthwhile, if you have other plans.

If you take the Alaska RR, in the past- they did pick up baggage from the train and transfer it directly to the ship.

Transfer listings http://www.anchorage.net

Budget Queen is very correct. The PWS tour is incredible!! We booked a transfer from Anchorage to Whittier and PWS tour as a package from a company in Anchorage. They picked us up at our hotel and drive you to Whittier along the spectacular Seward Highway providing very good commentary along the way. When we arrived we dropped our luggage off at the pier, took the tour and they dropped us back at the ship and we checked in. It went like clock work and it was a perfect day. I highly recommend doing this.

Budget Queen is very correct. The PWS tour is incredible!! We booked a transfer from Anchorage to Whittier and PWS tour as a package from a company in Anchorage. They picked us up at our hotel and drive you to Whittier along the spectacular Seward Highway providing very good commentary along the way. When we arrived we dropped our luggage off at the pier, took the tour and they dropped us back at the ship and we checked in. It went like clock work and it was a perfect day. I highly recommend doing this.

Can you provide a link or the name of the company you used? That sounds wonderful!

Can you provide a link or the name of the company you used? That sounds wonderful!

Two companies I have used are Major Marine and Phillips, both do an excellent job. IF you are touring interior Alaska- which I highly recommend, purchased coupon books can offer significant savings, including offers for PWS boat tours(but more worthwhile if you use them for other tours as well)

Archived