Royal Princess design: badly solsticized

cruisetrail

Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.

• I do NOT like this.
    • I like this.

I you didn't feel the "wow factor" on the Solstice Class, surely you won't on Princess. The Solstice Class is about as jaw dropping stunning as ships get. I've never felt the "wow" on Princess.

Princess

mh6ds1.jpg

Jaw dropping Celebrity

24k1l.jpg

Princess

mh6ds1.jpg

Jaw dropping Celebrity

24k1l.jpg

I'm quite sure I can find equally jaw dropping pictures of Princess if you would like me too. If its a point you're trying to make I'm happy to back mine up. Do you really want to play that game? I would really rather not. There already seems to be enough negativity regarding Princess and the new RP on the boards lately. I would say it hasn't been their best couple of weeks.

Ernie

Everyone likes different things, we booked within two days of the details being released and many of the mini suites were already booked.

Looking forward to actually seeing her, we will then post a review.

PP76

Ernie:

I know you said you'd rather not.....but I wish you would.

-Russ

Russ,

I might just have to grant your wish and dig up some ultra flattering pictures of Princess ships ... and many exist. The cheerleaders love to throw stones at other lines, many of which they have never even sailed, while ignoring the fact that many of the same issues they take offense with exist on Princess and most lines as well. It's really rather humorous.

Ernie

A few of the "jaw dropping" features of the Solstice Class, that unfortunately will not make their way to the new ROYAL PRINCESS.

A forward facing Spa and Fitness Center with dramatic views:

web.jpg?ver=12296512770001

A dramatic two level main dining room:

web.jpg?ver=12296518850001

A two level library and card room:

web.jpg?ver=12296515790001

A forward facing observation lounge with stunning views over the bow:

web.jpg?ver=12296519820001

A glass covered indoor pool:

web.jpg?ver=12296515040001

Just goes to show you, you can put lipstick on it, but it's still Celebrity.

Yup, Celebrity is an awesome line! It's a shame that it appears Princess is copying the Solstice Class design (imitation is the best form of flattery), with the problem being they are omitting the best features of the design ... or at least it appears that way. Of course we won't know for certain until the ship is in service, but the deck plan is certainly some indication of what to expect.

Yup, Celebrity is an awesome line! It's a shame that it appears Princess is copying the Solstice Class design (imitation is the best form of flattery), with the problem being they are omitting the best features of the design ... or at least it appears that way. Of course we won't know for certain until the ship is in service, but the deck plan is certainly some indication of what to expect.

Well seeing as it set records on opening day I'm sure a lot of people can't wait to sail her. I tried Celebrity, nothing special, came back to Princess. Some bargain basement prices came out for Celebrity 2013 Europe today, Princess didn't seem to have that issue....interesting.

When I look at the pictures you posted, which obviously turn your crank but to me, the dining room is an absolute waste of space, no wonder they have to cram everyone so close together, add a floor!! Covered pool looks no different from any Princess ship with a covered pool. library out in the open like that...hmm no thanks, I like quiet libraries.

Well seeing as it set records on opening day I'm sure a lot of people can't wait to sail her. I tried Celebrity, nothing special, came back to Princess. Some bargain basement prices came out for Celebrity 2013 Europe today, Princess didn't seem to have that issue....interesting.

No bargain basement prices on Princess? Oh please! I cruise both Princess and Celebrity often. I prefer Celebrity but enjoy both lines. In general I find prices on Celebrity to be higher than Princess. If you are trying to insinuate that somehow Celebrity is having hard times, you are quite mistaken. Cruise lines in hard times don't undertake a five ship building spree. Celebrity is doing quite well, just like Princess.

No bargain basement prices on Princess? Oh please! I cruise both Princess and Celebrity often. I prefer Celebrity but enjoy both lines. In general I find prices on Celebrity to be higher than Princess. If you are trying to insinuate that somehow Celebrity is having hard times, you are quite mistaken. Cruise lines in hard times don't undertake a five ship building spree. Celebrity is doing quite well, just like Princess.

Read into it what you like, I was a bit shocked how cheap they are and offering OBC on new bookings, interesting!

When I look at the pictures you posted, which obviously turn your crank but to me, the dining room is an absolute waste of space, no wonder they have to cram everyone so close together, add a floor!! Covered pool looks no different from any Princess ship with a covered pool. library out in the open like that...hmm no thanks, I like quiet libraries.

Having sat in that dining room, it's far from crowded and quite spacious. I would hate it if they added a floor and had low ceilings like Princess. The dining experience on Celebrity feels more like an event where as on Princess it's more like a yawn.

When it comes to hardware I feel there are very few lines that can compare with Celebrity. Princess is more "paint by numbers" and Olive Garden at sea. This thread is about ROYAL PRINCESS being compared to the Solstice Class, so no, the ROYAL PRINCESS indoor pool will not look like the Solstice Class, because RP will not have an indoor pool.

Having sat in that dining room, it's far from crowded and quite spacious. I would hate it if they added a floor and had low ceilings like Princess. The dining experience on Celebrity feels more like an event where as on Princess it's more like a yawn.

When it comes to hardware I feel there are very few lines that can compare with Celebrity. Princess is more "paint by numbers" and Olive Garden at sea. This thread is about ROYAL PRINCESS being compared to the Solstice Class, so no, the ROYAL PRINCESS indoor pool will not look like the Solstice Class, because RP will not have an indoor pool.

But when you were posting your shiny Celebrity pictures, you weren't comparing them to Royal, you were getting into a pissing contest, so lids off. Somepeople will always enjoy style over substance and try and hold on to a head chef, lost another one I see.

Read into it what you like, I was a bit shocked how cheap they are and offering OBC on new bookings, interesting!

Interesting because I just compared July 2013 pricing between ROYAL PRINCESS and CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE. Both are 12 days starting in Venice and prices seem pretty comparable to me. Mind you RP is the newer ship.

Princess starts at $2199 and Celebrity at $2099. Now if I compare with an older Princess ship I'm guessing Celebrity will be higher.

Doesn't seem like bargain basement pricing to me. Anyway all cruise lines discount, including Princess. In fact I booked my next cruise on Princess next month basically because it was cheaper than staying home!

But when you were posting your shiny Celebrity pictures, you weren't comparing them to Royal, you were getting into a pissing contest, so lids off. Somepeople will always enjoy style over substance and try and hold on to a head chef, lost another one I see.

Actually I was comparing them to Royal Princess, as they are features the RP will not have. Basically the newest design Celebrity ship vs the newest design Princess ship.

As for a pissing contest, well I'm not the one who started with the photos or started this disparaging thread about the Celebrity Solstice Class ships.

Personally I feel Celebrity has style and substance, best of both worlds. Sorry you don't feel that way.

Interesting because I just compared July 2013 pricing between ROYAL PRINCESS and CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE. Both are 12 days starting in Venice and prices seem pretty comparable to me. Mind you RP is the newer ship.

Princess starts at $2199 and Celebrity at $2099. Now if I compare with an older Princess ship I'm guessing Celebrity will be higher.

Doesn't seem like bargain basement pricing to me. Anyway all cruise lines discount, including Princess. In fact I booked my next cruise on Princess next month basically because it was cheaper than staying home!

I don't do insides, so when I look at balconies, Silhouette has two July sailings balconies are $2389 and $2,689 Royal is $3,299 and Celebrity is offering OBC on top of that as incentive. Attention Kmart Shoppers!

And having to search anything on Celebrity's website is like getting a root canal, so have a good evening, I'm done on this thread

True, the aforementioned do get priority boarding. Take a poll as to how many plats, elites and suites actually book Sanctuary and you will find the answer to be very few.

I agree. Many of those who sail frequently or who have been sailing for a long time are not necessarily desiring to try out the latest amenities. They may have done them already or are not interested. So just go sign up as soon as you board; good luck! :)

I don't do insides, so when I look at balconies, Silhouette has two July sailings balconies are $2389 and $2,689 Royal is $3,299 and Celebrity is offering OBC on top of that as incentive. Attention Kmart Shoppers!

And having to search anything on Celebrity's website is like getting a root canal, so have a good evening, I'm done on this thread

Well the lead in price is what cruise lines advertise, and in this case there is not much difference especially considering the ROYAL PRINCESS will be brand new, and the Celebrity ship is a couple years old. Not sure I would associate $2689 as a "Kmart shopper" but I guess that is how you see it. Higher prices do not always mean better anyway, but that is the mentality of some people. Anyway my point is that Celebrity is not exactly suffering financially.

I do agree with you on one thing, that the Princess website is more user friendly, even though it fits more with your Kmart analogy with all the "deals" and "special offers" on the homepage trying to grab your attention. The Celebrity site homepage is much less cluttered but harder to search for cruises and nformation.

I have not seen anyone mention the balcony sizes for the mini-suites.

I notice the mini-suites are not any wider than standard rooms, just longer. That makes the size of the balcony the same as any standard room. That is disappointing to me. I have always enjoyed the larger balcony, especially the last cabin mini-suites on the Emerald deck. They have a double size balcony for same price as regular mini-suite.

Not sure how appealing to me the narrower mini-suite will be on this ship compared to the wider rooms on the previous Princess ships, coupled with the smaller balconies.

Actually I was comparing them to Royal Princess, as they are features the RP will not have. Basically the newest design Celebrity ship vs the newest design Princess ship.

As for a pissing contest, well I'm not the one who started with the photos or started this disparaging thread about the Celebrity Solstice Class ships.

Personally I feel Celebrity has style and substance, best of both worlds. Sorry you don't feel that way.

Seems to me that the OP was disparaging the Royal Princess' design vs. the Solstice-class ships (and MSC ships).

I have not seen anyone mention the balcony sizes for the mini-suites.

I notice the mini-suites are not any wider than standard rooms, just longer. That makes the size of the balcony the same as any standard room. That is disappointing to me. I have always enjoyed the larger balcony, especially the last cabin mini-suites on the Emerald deck. They have a double size balcony for same price as regular mini-suite.

Not sure how appealing to me the narrower mini-suite will be on this ship compared to the wider rooms on the previous Princess ships, coupled with the smaller balconies.

But that's how the majority of the mini-suites are on Princess ships... longer, but not wider.

A few of the "jaw dropping" features of the Solstice Class, that unfortunately will not make their way to the new ROYAL PRINCESS.

A dramatic two level main dining room:

web.jpg?ver=12296518850001

A forward facing observation lounge with stunning views over the bow:

web.jpg?ver=12296519820001

A glass covered indoor pool:

web.jpg?ver=12296515040001

Thank you sir, for providing a bit of balance to this thread.

The thing is, while there is a slight resemblance externally to the Solstice Class, Royal will be nothing like it. The decor and design of Princess is completely different to that of Celebrity. Princess go for a more traditional decor, with wood, brown and beige colours, most areas looking similar, and a strange affinity for dolphins in their top deck areas.

Celebrity go for a much more modern and sleek interior design, which feels more light and airy in my opinion.

As an example, compare the buffet area on Ruby Princess:

5963015288_4e4a6abf86_z.jpg

With the buffet area on the Solstice Class:

1156737159.jpg

As you can see, there is little comparison inside the ships. All cruise ships have their flaws, and the Grand class most certainly was not without its fair share. I am sure we will see when people start sailing her that Royal is a Princess ship through and through.

Archived