Royal Princess design: badly solsticized

cruisetrail

Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.

• I do NOT like this.
    • I like this.

I agree. There are certain things I enjoy about Princess, and certain things I enjoy about Celebrity. It is great to have choice and we plan to cruise with both lines (in addition to maybe giving HAL another go sometime). I don't feel a need to be a cheerleader for any line and until they make me president of one or the other I will continue to enjoy both. If I see something I don't like on any line I may comment on it (or something I do like - there are plenty of things to like about both lines.) Hopefully the cruise lines do read our comments on these boards, both positive and negative feedback. I just don't see the need to "bash" other cruiselines when looking at deckplans of a new ship coming out, or discount others' opinions because they are not solely Princess loyalists. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The thread was crazy from inception. "Badly Solsticized" was just ridiculous. No wonder it turned into an out an out line bashing. it was about Royal Princess - How does Ruby's Buffet even enter into that?

I agree. There are certain things I enjoy about Princess, and certain things I enjoy about Celebrity. It is great to have choice and we plan to cruise with both lines (in addition to maybe giving HAL another go sometime). I don't feel a need to be a cheerleader for any line and until they make me president of one or the other I will continue to enjoy both. If I see something I don't like on any line I may comment on it (or something I do like - there are plenty of things to like about both lines.) Hopefully the cruise lines do read our comments on these boards, both positive and negative feedback. I just don't see the need to "bash" other cruiselines when looking at deckplans of a new ship coming out, or discount others' opinions because they are not solely Princess loyalists. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Though - you are the one claiming (in a cheerleader type way) that Celebrity is better due to openness in reference to norovirus. This has absolutely nothing to do with norovirus.

Though - you are the one claiming (in a cheerleader type way) that Celebrity is better due to openness in reference to norovirus. This has absolutely nothing to do with norovirus.

No. I did not say it was better. I said "I would imagine that with its more spacious and open design, it is easier to keep clean as well. In these days when ships seem to be experiencing a lot of noro outbreaks, thats an important consideration. " It is no secret to anyone who reads the Princess boards, that Princess has experienced a significant problem on both the Crown and the Ruby this winter, with repeated reoccurrences of noro on consecutive sailings. While I do not spend time reading these boards every day, I don't recall seeing nearly so many threads on the Celebrity boards regarding noro this winter. I believe Silhouette had an outbreak but I am not sure if there were others.There could have been but I am just not aware. I am not sure on the statistics and at this point do not feel it necessary to research them. The point that I was trying to make, is that with cleaner lines and more stainless steel surfaces, this area is probably easier to clean than others that have more extensive use of other types of surfaces, like wood. I am not a cleaning expert or a germ or virus expert, and I never claimed to be. As a person who also cleans her own house, I can say that I find it much easier to clean an open, uncluttered area than a more busy one. This is the point I was making when I said I thought that the crew would find it easier to work in.

I am not sure why you seem to be seeking to have an argument with me. Like I said earlier, if you don't like Celebrity, don't cruise with them. Similarly, if you think the new Royal will not be to your liking, there are lots of other Princess ships to choose from. I say at this point, give Royal a chance to show what she has to offer. I'm sure it will be brilliant!

Exactly my feelings. I will never understand the need to 1.) defend a cruise line against all criticism or 2.) bash a cruise line in all things when one or two didn't appeal. Don't people realize that they only diminish their own credibility when they do that? Princess is a wonderful cruise line and does many things better than Celebrity, but the opposite is also true. Not only do people take offense at anyone saying anything bad about "their" cruise line, they seem equally aggrieved by anyone saying anything good about another cruise line. How very...preschool.
So true and perfectly said. It's so ridiculous to condemn an entire cruise line with one cruise or even worse never tried the line at all.

No. I did not say it was better. I said "I would imagine that with its more spacious and open design, it is easier to keep clean as well. In these days when ships seem to be experiencing a lot of noro outbreaks, thats an important consideration. "

Celebrity has definitely had its problems with norovirus as have the other lines. I really don't think your theory makes a difference (open design).

Celebrity has definitely had its problems with norovirus as have the other lines. I really don't think your theory makes a difference (open design).

You still seem to be missing my point. The point was

More open design = easier to clean

That's all.

"The cruise industry has struggled with gastrointestinal outbreaks this year, some outbreaks reported by the CDC, some not, with Princess Cruises and the Royal Caribbean/Celebrity ships leading the cruise puke fest."

Based on that from Cruise Law News, neither line should be commenting on Noro.

You still seem to be missing my point. The point was

More open design = easier to clean

That's all.

It is not proving to be true as Celebrity has had their fair share of Norovirus also. What you are not getting is that many people get norovirus in places that both ships have in common - elevator buttons, bathrooms, railings, touching items such as chairs and salt and pepper shakers, etc...

It doesn't matter if it is open or not. Maybe the open design makes it easier for more people to touch the same surface??? All the main cruise lines are having problems with norovirus. The open design or closed design doesn't seem to make a difference.

It is not proving to be true as Celebrity has had their fair share of Norovirus also. What you are not getting is that many people get norovirus in places that both ships have in common - elevator buttons, bathrooms, railings, touching items such as chairs and salt and pepper shakers, etc...

It doesn't matter if it is open or not. Maybe the open design makes it easier for more people to touch the same surface??? All the main cruise lines are having problems with norovirus. The open design or closed design doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm not sure why you are focusing on noro. Noro was not my point; it was just an example. You don't only clean because of noro.

See post #181. The equation still stands. Anyone who cleans a house will understand.

I'm not sure why you are focusing on noro. Noro was not my point; it was just an example. You don't only clean because of noro.

See post #181. The equation still stands. Anyone who cleans a house will understand.

I think you are way off base. I have sailed both lines more times than you have sailed in your signature. I think Princess does a better job of keeping their ships clean and maintaining their ships over the long term. I have to agree with Coral that your arguments don't make any sense.

In my opinion, I don't think Princess is copying Celebrity at all. The Royal still looks more like the Grand class than any other Celebrity ship. I wish they had broke the mold but it doesn't appear so.

So true and perfectly said. It's so ridiculous to condemn an entire cruise line with one cruise or even worse never tried the line at all.

Now there's an interesting point, just how many people have sailed Royal Princess before ripping her apart? Oh yeah, ZERO!

Noro ran rampant on land also this year and made it into the news about all of the outbreaks that were not on ships. I think a very mild winter had a part in it. I dont see how the design of a ship makes a difference with noro one bit

It looks like you did not sail on Celebrity.

Actually, I have, a fair while ago (see sig line), and actually loved a lot of the design of the hoary old Mercury. So maybe I'm just getting very used to the Princess Look, but the posted pics actually don't do much for me. I now get what other posters are saying about X's "cold" look. On the other hand, I find the renderings of the Royal's Piazza to be really lovely.

Now there's an interesting point, just how many people have sailed Royal Princess before ripping her apart? Oh yeah, ZERO!

I'm truly not sure whether "I wish Princess hadn't done away with the wonderful aft pools" or "A covered pool certainly would be nice on a TA" truly qualifies as "ripping her apart."

So how about those of us who say "She looks absolutely gorgeous" without having been aboard? Equally unfair?

Face it: the enthusiasm on this board for the Royal is considerable, and many of us (including moi) have already booked passage. But I still wish there was a damn aft pool or two. K?

I now get what other posters are saying about X's "cold" look. On the other hand, I find the renderings of the Royal's Piazza to be really lovely.

I am sure the 'cold look' refers only to the Solstice-class, since that is the comparison topic? Don't forget that Celebrity Cruises still has five other ships that are quite different from their much bigger 'sisters'.

I have sailed on the Celebrity Millennium (B2B), Celebrity Galaxy (now with TUI), Celebrity Mercury (2X) and Celebrity Century and all have for the most part a modern, much warmer feel to them. I am booked on the Celebrity Constellation for early 2013 a well as looking at the Celebrity Solstice for Alaska and the America's Cup coastal.

I am also booked on the Caribbean Princess for this October out of NYC. Having sailed mostly the Sun-class, the old (first) Royal Princess, and the Grand Princess I then jumped between Princess Cruises, Holland-America, and Celebrity Cruises for several years before settling into the latter. My upcoming cruise on the CP will be the first with Princess in over 10 years (when I set sail) and will be an interesting comparison between the bigger Grand-class with the extra deck and added 500 passengers (totaling over 3100) over the Celebrity Millennium and her 2000 passengers. I know you really can't compare as they as 'apples to oranges', but it will be my two most recent cruises. I do like the feel of the Millennium-class and wonder how the CP will impress.

With that said, what I have seen so far of the new Royal Princess she does look lovely but that's not enough to entice me to rush out and book her any time soon. As many have said she is 'evolutionary' and not 'revolutionary' and I think I would rather sail the Celebrity Eclipse or Celebrity Silhouette over the RP. For those who rushed out and booked her once the reservations opened, 'congratulations'. I eagerly look forward to your reviews from her when she sails at capacity to see if any of the concerns regarding overcrowding of pool decks and public spaces I have read are warranted.

Not sure why Princess ships being Solsticized would be a bad thing. The Celebrity experience is fantastic.

That being said, I do love Princess aft pools!

To solsticize = to copy major flaws of Celebrity design: no real promenade deck, crammed pool/sun deck area, lack of the aft pool, slanted stern with exposed balconies.

If this ship is so flawed like many of you have said, then why is the first Transatlantic on Oct 9th on the Royal nearly sold out after less then 3 weeks? All suites, mini suites and most deluxe balcony's are sold out? So are much of the guarantee balcony's too. I certainly do not see a cramped pool area at all. Now being that the aft pool is gone, again it is no big deal. Rarely is anyone actually in the aft pool, mostly just people sun bathing. I see the Royal as having so many pluses that I can't wait to sail on this beautiful ship.

To solsticize = to copy major flaws of Celebrity design...

If this ship is so flawed like many of you have said, then why is the first Transatlantic on Oct 9th on the Royal nearly sold out after less then 3 weeks?

Nice one, timetraveler. An awful lot of people do seem to be jumping head first into a 'flawed' ship. :eek:

If this ship is so flawed like many of you have said, then why is the first Transatlantic on Oct 9th on the Royal nearly sold out after less then 3 weeks?

I'm on the TA, but with the absence of aft pool areas and the iffy promenade, the thought of a Caribbean sailing is at this point less attractive to me. (Oh, and BTW, it's not just the aft pool that's missing, but an entire outdoor area, like the Sapphire's wonderful tiered multi-deck aft.)

Yes, a covered pool sure would have been nice on the Atlantic crossing...but the Royal's pluses seem at this point to handily outweigh the minuses. What, we're all supposed to be thinking, "The Royal looks like it will be flawless?" And why's that, again? Don't tell me I'm gonna have to hand in my cheerleader pom-poms?

Archived