Royal Princess design: badly solsticized

cruisetrail

Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.

• I do NOT like this.
    • I like this.

I am looking at the new Princess flagship design.

Aft pool with terraces has gone.

Wrap-around promenade has been ruined.

Kyphotic stern with exposed balconies appeared.

Lack of pool deck space.

Cabanas for rent grow like poison mushrooms.

Still not clear what has happened to the forward observation deck.

It appears that a beautiful Princess ship has been solsticized.

Crudely solsticized.

At this time the Royal Princess does not look much better than Celebrity Solstice class ships (less grass lawns).

Too pessimistic?

Royal Princess renderings

Royal Princess deck plans

Yeah, I have to admit that, after all that anticipation, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the final result we're seeing, at least in the renders and model photos. The OP put it pretty well, I guess: the design just seems very un-Princess, in that it's lacking some of the features we Princess fans like the most.

For me, I lament the absence of the full Promenade, the multiple pools, the extensive and varied lounge chair locations, the tiered public spaces on the stern (of the Grand/Super Grand and Coral/Island Class) and, in particular, the "stair-step" orientation of the balcony cabins found on the Grand Class ships that provide that varied balcony options on the Grand/Super Grand Class ships (the Caribe Deck standard cabins are our favorites.)

All the small fully covered balconies on the new Royal are very unappealing to me. And, actually, in this regard the "Kyphotic Stern" provides the only balcony cabins I personally have any interest in.

There do seem to be some interesting additions (I won't say "improvements" until I see them for myself) on decks 5, 6 and 7, but my overall initial impression is not terribly positive. Fortunately, though, they'll continue to offer itineraries on the Grand/Super Grand, Sun, Coral/Island and R-Class ships for all those who are looking for a different experience.

Whatever one thinks of the new Royal Princess, I suppose one can't deny that it's interesting.

I hate to hear this. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I want a cruise ship to look and feel like a cruise ship.

I sailed on the Celebrity Solstice one time and found it akin to sailing in an Ikea store. The overall design was cold and unwelcoming. We had a stateroom on the stern and awoke to a fine layer of soot on our balcony every morning. The lawn was a lot of wasted space and it was roped off and "resting" most of our voyage. I was glad when the cruise was over.

I also sailed on the NCL's Prison Ship Epic one time as well and will not repeat that mistake. Worst designed cabins and ship I've ever had the misfortune to sail on. To tell you how bad it is, NCL has scrapped the design of the prison-cell cabins on their next ships. Another cruise I was glad when it was over.

It's what happens when the artsy fartsy designers get to sit at the big table and everyone else is afraid to shout out that the emperor has no clothes.

We learned to take a better look at the ship design and try to visualize life on board. Now we don't book ships like Solstice, The Epic, The Oasis, the Allure etc. They may work for some, but for me I want a ship that looks like a ship, a promenade where I can stroll all the way around the ship and smell the ocean and maybe even see some sea life, a shady deck where I can read a good book, fresh brewed coffee, venues where I don't have to wear earplugs because some twenty-something has cranked the volume up to 10, an MDR where people dress like they are going out for fine dining and not a truck stop, a comfortable/functional/clean cabin, and stairs forward, mid-ship, and aft.

I'm pretty much in agreement. I took the time to look at the deck plans yesterday and saw very little to draw me in. I sailed on the Equinox in 2010 and it was beautiful in a cold modern way. It wasn't for me. I love the warmth and feel of Princess ships. I never liked the stacked cabins personally, but they did offer choices. I love the (wide) wrap-around promenades and multiple locations to be outside whether it be sun or shade that you want. I think their idea of putting the Wheelhouse and Sabatini's close is a good idea. Overall, I'm not that impressed. The walkway over the ocean is a fun novelty, but how much fun is that in the long run? Not much. I'm sure they are offering a ship that will appeal to many people and draw some new people in. That was likely their goal. For me, I hope they don't forget about what we long-time Princess cruises have come to love when they're planning future ships.

I haven't looked at the deck plans but just reading some of your comments is interesting.

I've sailed Princess once before - Alaska in 1999 but since then I have done NCL, HAL and 5 Celebrity - last one on the Solstice.

That being said - I'm obviously a big fan of Celebrity and actually enjoyed the cruise on the Solstice. Loved the lawn and the Hot Glass Show and the atrium that you could see sky from with the tree in the middle.

And I don't find the Celebrity experience to be 'cold' at all - I find the ships to be comfortable with wonderful staff.

There were shaded places to sit - including one of the lower decks - 5 maybe?

So, I'm now curious to see what has changed on Princess because while I thought they did a great job in Alaska, I wasn't bubbling with enthusiasm about the service or friendliness of the staff.

Anyway - that's just my opinion - to each their own.

I am looking at the new Princess flagship design.

Aft pool with terraces has gone.

That was a pretty bad move. They should have incorporated the terrace into the design.

Wrap-around promenade has been ruined.

I wouldn't say ruined, because I never usually walked all the way around, just out one door and in another further down. This could definitely have been easily solved by adding in a helipad area like on most Royal Caribbean ships, or running the front part inside like on Oasis.

Kyphotic stern with exposed balconies appeared.

If you look at most new cruise ship designs, they have a sloped stern. Royal is different from the Solstice class as it is curved, as opposed to the straight 45 degree angle on Solstice.

Lack of pool deck space.

It looks to me like there is more pool deck space than the Grand class, if not the same. If you want a vast expanse of boring teak decks, then sail on QM2.

Cabanas for rent grow like poison mushrooms.

Agreed. The size of the area the sanctuary takes up, nearly 1/3 of the top deck, is stupid.

Still not clear what has happened to the forward observation deck.

It appears that a beautiful Princess ship has been solsticized.

Crudely solsticized.

At this time the Royal Princess does not look much better than Celebrity Solstice class ships (less grass lawns).

Too pessimistic?

In terms of modern cruise ship design, there is not a huge amount that can change. You can tell with the Royal they wanted to make the design a bit more aesthetically pleasing externally. I think they have achieved that. It looks good, and the stern is a big improvement over the vertical Grand class. The funnel looks really sleek too, as does the rest of the ship.

People moan about how modern cruise ships 'don't look like ships anymore' or 'look like floating apartment blocks'. If by that, they mean they don't look like ocean liners, then yes, they are right. They aren't ocean liners. They are cruise ships. The rows and rows of balconies actually help to break up the design, rather than just having an ugly wall of solid white. The thing is, passenger ship design has changed, just as a car designed today doesn't look like a car from the 60's. People wanting something which looks like a classic liner will never get that.

I hate to hear this. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I want a cruise ship to look and feel like a cruise ship.

I sailed on the Celebrity Solstice one time and found it akin to sailing in an Ikea store. The overall design was cold and unwelcoming. We had a stateroom on the stern and awoke to a fine layer of soot on our balcony every morning. The lawn was a lot of wasted space and it was roped off and "resting" most of our voyage. I was glad when the cruise was over.

I also sailed on the NCL's Prison Ship Epic one time as well and will not repeat that mistake. Worst designed cabins and ship I've ever had the misfortune to sail on. To tell you how bad it is, NCL has scrapped the design of the prison-cell cabins on their next ships. Another cruise I was glad when it was over.

It's what happens when the artsy fartsy designers get to sit at the big table and everyone else is afraid to shout out that the emperor has no clothes.

We learned to take a better look at the ship design and try to visualize life on board. Now we don't book ships like Solstice, The Epic, The Oasis, the Allure etc. They may work for some, but for me I want a ship that looks like a ship, a promenade where I can stroll all the way around the ship and smell the ocean and maybe even see some sea life, a shady deck where I can read a good book, fresh brewed coffee, venues where I don't have to wear earplugs because some twenty-something has cranked the volume up to 10, an MDR where people dress like they are going out for fine dining and not a truck stop, a comfortable/functional/clean cabin, and stairs forward, mid-ship, and aft.

Everything you are looking for is available on HAL's "midsize" ships. :)

Sadly, 2 wrongs: this Royal Princess doesn't have an aft pool or a beautiful indoor pool like Solstice...

Sailed on Solstice in January and liked her very much, but I am very open to sailing Royal Princess in Winter 2014. I like the idea of an aft pool though. Will have to find this on some other ship then.

I would imagine a spot in the new spiced-up Sanctuary will cost more than on other Princess ships and at the same time probably be harder to obtain!

I am sure they let people with Super Diamond Platinum Plus Elite status book chairs first!

sadly, 2 wrongs: This royal princess doesn't have an aft pool or a beautiful indoor pool like solstice...

Sailed on solstice in january and liked her very much, but i am very open to sailing royal princess in winter 2014. I like the idea of an aft pool though. Will have to find this on some other ship then.

I would imagine a spot in the new spiced-up sanctuary will cost more than on other princess ships and at the same time probably be harder to obtain!

i am sure they let people with super diamond platinum plus elite status book chairs first!

wrong!

I am also unimpressed with the public area features.

Miss the wrap around promenade , aft pool , covered pool

ect...

No rush to book this Royal Princess for me.

What's with just those few hudge lifeboats.

Less obstictions but imagine filling them in an

emergency?

I agree with you. I happen to love the Solstice ships, but that doesn't mean I wanted Princess to copy the idea. Two of the biggest things I liked about Princess (over Celebrity) were the aft pools and the wrap-around promenades, and now they've eliminated both.

I agree with you. I happen to love the Solstice ships, but that doesn't mean I wanted Princess to copy the idea. Two of the biggest things I liked about Princess (over Celebrity) were the aft pools and the wrap-around promenades, and now they've eliminated both.

I agree whole heartily.

"I sailed on the Celebrity Solstice one time and found it akin to sailing in an Ikea store. The overall design was cold and unwelcoming"

I couldnt agree with you more! We Hated the SOLSTICE. It felt like a "W" hotel...or like an episode of "sprockets" on SNL (

) . There seemed to be a complete disconnect with the ocean. I hate to see Princess ships heading in this direction.

wrong!

Pia,

From hanging out on the Princess board now that I have one booked, I see you a lot and you appear to have a lot of experience but I beg to disagree with you on this.

Based on what I've been reading about how embarkation is handled, the Elite/Platinum/suite passengers get to embark before the others. That alone gets them the first shot at Sanctuary chairs.

Disappointing because I really want to do the Sanctuary for my entire cruise but I'm afraid that the whole cruise chairs will be gone before I can get there. And I'm not going to get up at a ridiculously early hour to go stand in line every day.

Is it going to ruin my trip if I don't get in the Sanctuary - of course not. But I was hoping for a decent shot at it. That and the Ultimate Cruise Ship Tour.

Pia,

From hanging out on the Princess board now that I have one booked, I see you a lot and you appear to have a lot of experience but I beg to disagree with you on this.

Based on what I've been reading about how embarkation is handled, the Elite/Platinum/suite passengers get to embark before the others. That alone gets them the first shot at Sanctuary chairs.

Disappointing because I really want to do the Sanctuary for my entire cruise but I'm afraid that the whole cruise chairs will be gone before I can get there. And I'm not going to get up at a ridiculously early hour to go stand in line every day.

Is it going to ruin my trip if I don't get in the Sanctuary - of course not. But I was hoping for a decent shot at it. That and the Ultimate Cruise Ship Tour.

True, the aforementioned do get priority boarding. However, the earlybirds get in at the same time; or within 2 minutes. That being said, take a poll as to how many plats, elites and suites actually book Sanctuary and you will find the answer to be very few.

In terms of modern cruise ship design, there is not a huge amount that can change. You can tell with the Royal they wanted to make the design a bit more aesthetically pleasing externally. I think they have achieved that. It looks good, and the stern is a big improvement over the vertical Grand class. The funnel looks really sleek too, as does the rest of the ship.

People moan about how modern cruise ships 'don't look like ships anymore' or 'look like floating apartment blocks'. If by that, they mean they don't look like ocean liners, then yes, they are right. They aren't ocean liners. They are cruise ships. The rows and rows of balconies actually help to break up the design, rather than just having an ugly wall of solid white. The thing is, passenger ship design has changed, just as a car designed today doesn't look like a car from the 60's. People wanting something which looks like a classic liner will never get that.

I pretty much agree with you. Cruise ship design is certainly a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" kind of thing.

I find that the Royal Princess design is very clean compared to the Crown-class ships. The only Grand-class ships that I find aesthetically pleasing are the Sapphire/Diamond twins.

And btw, the Sanctuary isn't that big... the pool area is adults only, but is not part of the Sanctuary.

It is just another floating hotel. Not one place to just sit and watch the ocean. I love to be at sea. But you could be on one of these ships and never really look at the the ocean. I love the small ships where there is a lounge in the front of the ship to sit and watch the ocean or read or had a drink.

I don't think we will ever book the new Royal. I see that there is 20 classes or prices for balcony cabins. What is princess thinking.

I think a lot of folks are operating on the wrong assumptions. The assumption was that Princess designed this ship to appeal to Princess cruisers. Why would they. This ship is designed to appeal more to the cruisers that Princess is NOT getting in favor of the Allure, Oasis, etc. They have seen how successful those builds have been.

New models of anything are rarely designed with current customers in mind. They are designed to attract new ones while not pissing off the old ones too much.

In short, the Royal was not designed to appeal to the forum regulars here, they just don't want you to hate it so much you leave the line period (which with all the other ships is not a realistic worry)

I think a lot of folks are operating on the wrong assumptions. The assumption was that Princess designed this ship to appeal to Princess cruisers. Why would they. This ship is designed to appeal more to the cruisers that Princess is NOT getting in favor of the Allure, Oasis, etc. They have seen how successful those builds have been.

New models of anything are rarely designed with current customers in mind. They are designed to attract new ones while not pissing off the old ones too much.

In short, the Royal was not designed to appeal to the forum regulars here, they just don't want you to hate it so much you leave the line period (which with all the other ships is not a realistic worry)

Well said... I, for one, look forward to booking a Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess.

True, the aforementioned do get priority boarding. However, the earlybirds get in at the same time; or within 2 minutes. That being said, take a poll as to how many plats, elites and suites actually book Sanctuary and you will find the answer to be very few.

Elite here and I never booked it once. I don't get on the ship until 1pm.

The problem is not limited to the kyphotic or scoliotic stern.

Oasis class has wrap-around promenade, beautiful forward observation deck, beautiful combination of aquatheatre, terraces and rear viewing areas, plenty of pools and sun deck space.

We don't find all that on the Royal Princess renderings so far.

That's the problem.

Archived