Eurodam VS Niew Amsterdam

magictam

I’m planning a cruise that went from 2 couples to now 3 couples to possible 5 couples, which is not a bad thing. All but one couple has cruised before. I’ve had trying to convince in couple for years to try cruising and they have finally agreed. We range in age from 50s-60s.

We have it narrowed down to the Eurodam or the Niew Amsterdam, March 2013, Eastern Caribbean. These will be new ports for all of us.

In comparing deck plans I didn’t see much difference between the ships. Really they only difference I could see was that the Eurodam went to St. Thomas and NA went to St. Maartin. The Eurodam does seem to be in ports a little longer than the NA.

Any help, thoughts, opinions, ideas would be greatly welcomed.

The ships are pretty much identical, except for a few cabin category changes, differences in the balconies on deck 11, the location of the Lido cabanas and the decor of the ship.

We have sailed on both and I will give the Eurodam a slight edge just because I prefer its decor a bit more (excluding the atrium chandelier - Nieuw Amsterdam wins that one!)

Both ships are Signature Class ships -- thus sisters.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is newer than Eurodam -- JMO -- she is prettier.

We enjoyed both ships and would have no qualms about booking either one.

Personally I would choose the cruise that gives me longer times in the ports.

I agree. I found the Eurodam to be fairly vanilla but I enjoyed them both.

They are identical.

The major difference is the decor. The N.A. has more of a New York theme, hence the Manhattan dining room.

Personally, we find the Eurodam to be more elegant. The N.A. retains more of a casual look.

Both are lovely ships and we would sail either again, but for some reason I can't exactly put my finger on, we prefer Eurodam. Two criuses on Nieuw Amsterdam and five on Eurodam and we would return to Eurodam before Nieuw Amsterdam.... all things being equal.

But we do prefer St. Maarten to St. Thomas. :)

They are identical.

The major difference is the decor. The N.A. has more of a New York theme, hence the Manhattan dining room.

Personally, we find the Eurodam to be more elegant. The N.A. retains more of a casual look.

Being from New York City I did not really get a NYC feel. The coolest thing on the ship is the atroum chandelier.

i mean every time to st thomas there are 4 to 6 ships x 2000+ pax so YOU ARE looking at 8k to 12,000 people in town UGHHH too too crowded..st marten maybe another ship..anyways like both ships but i think eurodam is a bit classier.jmho

~cheers have fun,

~nancy

It seems I am in the minority. I really prefer St Thomas. I used to live in the area and flew a private plane to both (from San Juan). The feeling I always got was that St Maarten was for those who have one foot in the grave and just looking for a quiet beach. St Thomas is more for those who prefer a livelier atmosphere, fun music, ridiculously good shopping, and yes, even a beach. But I am not in my 80's yet, so I am probably out-voted by many here. :cool:

I’m planning a cruise that went from 2 couples to now 3 couples to possible 5 couples, which is not a bad thing. All but one couple has cruised before. I’ve had trying to convince in couple for years to try cruising and they have finally agreed. We range in age from 50s-60s.

We have it narrowed down to the Eurodam or the Niew Amsterdam, March 2013, Eastern Caribbean. These will be new ports for all of us.

In comparing deck plans I didn’t see much difference between the ships. Really they only difference I could see was that the Eurodam went to St. Thomas and NA went to St. Maartin. The Eurodam does seem to be in ports a little longer than the NA.

Any help, thoughts, opinions, ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Have you read the thread(s) related to the ongoing 'vibration' issue with the Eurodam? ;)

Being from New York City I did not really get a NYC feel. The coolest thing on the ship is the atroum chandelier.

I agree, although the ship was BEAUTIFUL I didn't get an NYC vibe.....

Maybe if they had some street vendors in the shop selling knock off Louis V's or Gucci's it might have been different.....:D;)

An alternative in St. Thomas is, of course, an excursion to St. John.

The traffic in St. Thomas, last April, was very crowded. We didn't even go to town- but went on an excursion. No shopping that day!

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide.

An alternative in St. Thomas is, of course, an excursion to St. John.

The traffic in St. Thomas, last April, was very crowded. We didn't even go to town- but went on an excursion. No shopping that day!

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide.

We are taking the Eurodam for the first time in 2 weeks...after reading all the information about St.Thomas we decided to take the champagne boat ride over to St.John and Honeymoon beach...sounds lovely and hopefully will be a relaxing day for us.

Archived