Street crime in Barcelona - why it's so prevalent, and affects tourists the most

peteukmcr

We were watching a very informative TV program about the British Consulate services in Barcelona the other evening and found out an interesting fact about the penalties handed down to pick pockets and street thieves in Barcelona that may explain why street crime against tourists is so prevalent.

If they take goods from you worth less than €400 [£350, approx $550] and get caught, prosecuted and found guilty, then they only get a small fine – and then only if the victim turns up to give evidence, which is why they target tourists. Many tourists will not be able to turn up to court and give evidence. Many offenders don't even get caught.

The police don't have a database that enables them to tell if the thief has been arrested before.

In Barcelona you get fined more for double-parking or wandering around with your shirt off than for stealing three purses in one day.

About 150 bag-snatchers operate on Barcelona's metro, trains and buses, committing 90 robberies a day, according to police. The thieves form well-organised gangs that often co-ordinate the shifts they work.

The trick to not becoming a mark is be aware of your surroundings. Don't look like a tourist. Watch how the locals carrry their purses and assume everyone (even well dress businessmen and ladies with babys) are pickpockets. Don't let anyone invade your space. We spend 3 days in Barcelona and 3 in Madrid and had NO trouble at all. But of course we were very careful about our belongings and paid Attention to our surroundings. From what I understand this is something that goes on just about everywhere in the world and most people from the US just aren't aware of their surroundings. As the ecomony tanks this kind of stuff increases. We were told in Hawaii not to even bother locking our car because theives would break the windows to get anything left in the car and then you would have to pay for the repair. Use common sense when traveling leave your fancy diamonds and watches at home. When you go out only take small amounts of money that you might need. Don't walk around with a map in your hands. If you need to look at a map take it out in a store and look at it.

The trick to not becoming a mark is be aware of your surroundings. Don't look like a tourist. Watch how the locals carrry their purses and assume everyone (even well dress businessmen and ladies with babys) are pickpockets. Don't let anyone invade your space. We spend 3 days in Barcelona and 3 in Madrid and had NO trouble at all. But of course we were very careful about our belongings and paid Attention to our surroundings. From what I understand this is something that goes on just about everywhere in the world and most people from the US just aren't aware of their surroundings. As the ecomony tanks this kind of stuff increases. We were told in Hawaii not to even bother locking our car because theives would break the windows to get anything left in the car and then you would have to pay for the repair. Use common sense when traveling leave your fancy diamonds and watches at home. When you go out only take small amounts of money that you might need. Don't walk around with a map in your hands. If you need to look at a map take it out in a store and look at it.

Good advice, but it is still oh so easy to be a victim. I have survived in London, Barcelona, Paris, Rome and Naples, and still managed to be a victim of a purse thief in Malaga which is only 2 hours from my home and actually just before I boarded the ship.

I think it was the taxi driver that stole my wallet, I was aware that he took a while getting the bags out from where I put them on the back seat.

I was being vigilant on the train from where we had left the car, I had looked at every other passenger to see if I could detect a pickpocket, but somehow the taxi driver did not come into the 'potential thief category, especially when the ship suddenly appeared in front of me and I was distracted by my excitement.

I can only be thankful that he was not also interested in my passport because if they had gone, we would not have been able to board the ship!. I had not got very much money either and although the ATM was attempted he didn't guess my pin number.

I am pretty sure that I trust even fewer 'strangers' now, which is a pity, but I work hard for my money and want to choose how to spend it myself.

I understand everything you say, I was just reporting why it is probably so prevalent due to the lack of deterrent.

We've travelled to Barcelona many times without incident, but it is by being vigilant as you describe.

I have been extra vigilant ever since having my backpack cut and ripped off my shoulders as I exited a taxi outside my hotel on arrival from Madrid airport many years ago.

My bank card was used within 20 minutes but not in an ATM, but in a store where the police suspect no goods were purchased, but cash given instead by the shopkeeper in league with the robbers.

I appreciate that it happens in many cities around the world, but the incidence is so high here that I would not want any unsuspecting visitors arriving to board one of the many cruise ships that dock in Bacelona to fall victim to this crime.

As the old proverb states, "Forewarned is forearmed"

Edited by peteukmcr

I understand everything you say, I was just reporting why it is probably so prevalent due to the lack of deterrent.

We've travelled to Barcelona many times without incident, but it is by being vigilant as you describe.

I have been extra vigilant ever since having my backpack cut and ripped off my shoulders as I exited a taxi outside my hotel on arrival from Madrid airport many years ago.

My bank card was used within 20 minutes but not in an ATM, but in a store where the police suspect no goods were purchased, but cash given instead by the shopkeeper in league with the robbers.

I appreciate that it happens in many cities around the world, but the incidence is so high here that I would not want any unsuspecting visitors arriving to board one of the many cruise ships that dock in Bacelona to fall victim to this crime.

As the old proverb states, "Forewarned is forearmed"

HOLY CRAP..lol will have to keep my Euros in my undies then..lmao

Geez what they heck would they do to a women's bag/purse then.

May have to find some pepper spray before I leave.

And I do thank you Peter for the heads up..we may have crime around the world but NOT like that!! You can safely walk on our streets, yes being cautious but not to that extent. You could even read a map or ask directions.

I read "Gang Wars on the Costas" by Wensley Clarkson, who wrote about the number of gangs in B/C who live by this thieving; he also said something which shocked me: 1 in 10 UK passports replaced world wide are in Barcelona!

I've read about cruises missed because of passports being taken; one man was in the middle of his cruise and was made to stay for a replacement, whilst his wife and children stayed on board, and sailed away in tears!

European and US passports sell for thousands of €€€€- I never remove mine from the safe unless told to- Dubrovnik is one spot, and Amsterdam, where we had to show them.

Jo.

I read "Gang Wars on the Costas" by Wensley Clarkson, who wrote about the number of gangs in B/C who live by this thieving; he also said something which shocked me: 1 in 10 UK passports replaced world wide are in Barcelona!

I've read about cruises missed because of passports being taken; one man was in the middle of his cruise and was made to stay for a replacement, whilst his wife and children stayed on board, and sailed away in tears!

European and US passports sell for thousands of €€€€- I never remove mine from the safe unless told to- Dubrovnik is one spot, and Amsterdam, where we had to show them.

Jo.

Like everything else our Canadian ones are worth anything...lol

Wow this is all so hard to believe.

Low-lifes anywhere will do bad things if they can get away with it in big cities in U.S the same things go on because they are also soft on crime. If they keep getting away with it why would they stop.

Like everything else our Canadian ones are worth anything...lol

Wow this is all so hard to believe.

Actually it's just the opposite. Canadian passports are the most valuable in the world. Which is why the spy agencies of many many countries have been caught counterfeiting them (ala the Israelis)

I agree Barcelona is one of the worst places for pickpockets. There have been numerous threads on these boards for years. Although pretty savvy, I had my wallet stolen from my purse there. As you say, the credit card was used within minutes at two restaurants for huge amounts (near $800 and $600 US). I also heard the same story from police re: the thieves have accomplices who "cash out" to them.

Luckily, my passport, an extra credit card, and some cash were in my room safe. The thieves got into my zipped purse (which was under my arm) and got the wallet without my knowledge. They are that good.

I agree Barcelona is one of the worst places for pickpockets. There have been numerous threads on these boards for years. Although pretty savvy, I had my wallet stolen from my purse there. As you say, the credit card was used within minutes at two restaurants for huge amounts (near $800 and $600 US). I also heard the same story from police re: the thieves have accomplices who "cash out" to them.

Luckily, my passport, an extra credit card, and some cash were in my room safe. The thieves got into my zipped purse (which was under my arm) and got the wallet without my knowledge. They are that good.

I'm trying hard not to be paranoid about our upcoming Med cruise, but I keep reading stories like this over and over. It boggles my mind, because we have never been victimized by pickpockets during our many travels in the US, and have never felt particularly threatened. We do of course take reasonable precautions to keep our things safe, but it is just not a big deal here. I wear my wedding ring everywhere I go, but maybe I'll leave it at home for this trip.

After reading many stories like the one quoted above regarding travel in Europe, I've purchased a Pacsafe bag (which is supposedly "slash-proof") plus a couple of under-garment money pouches. I plan to make good use of our stateroom safe, and only carry what I think we need for the day. I'm hoping these precautions will be sufficient.

Just yesterday, we were at a restaurant and my husband set his wallet on the table while he signed the bill. I told him, do NOT do that in Barcelona. Don't put anything down, anywhere, for any reason!

I'm trying hard not to be paranoid about our upcoming Med cruise, but I keep reading stories like this over and over. It boggles my mind, because we have never been victimized by pickpockets during our many travels in the US, and have never felt particularly threatened. We do of course take reasonable precautions to keep our things safe, but it is just not a big deal here. I wear my wedding ring everywhere I go, but maybe I'll leave it at home for this trip.

After reading many stories like the one quoted above regarding travel in Europe, I've purchased a Pacsafe bag (which is supposedly "slash-proof") plus a couple of under-garment money pouches. I plan to make good use of our stateroom safe, and only carry what I think we need for the day. I'm hoping these precautions will be sufficient.

Just yesterday, we were at a restaurant and my husband set his wallet on the table while he signed the bill. I told him, do NOT do that in Barcelona. Don't put anything down, anywhere, for any reason!

Do try and not be paranoid, but the safeguards you are taking will ensure you stay safe. Under garment pouches are a good idea, and yes encourage your husband not to put his wallet down on the table and don't just put it in the back pocket of his pants!

Apparently it has been known for these criminals to follow unsuspecting tourists into the hotel lobby as everyone naturally relaxes as you enter your hotel. So only relax when you get to the safety of your room!

Another tip use large safety pins to pin your pockets shut where your money is, also note money isn't safe in your front pockets either. Only take the amount of money you think you might need.

If there are two of you cruising together make sure you both take different credit cards and leave them in the safe if possible but definitely don't carry them at the same time when sightseeing.

Edited by Bobocasey

I had my wallet stolen from my purse there. As you say, the credit card was used within minutes at two restaurants for huge amounts (near $800 and $600 US). I also heard the same story from police re: the thieves have accomplices who "cash out" to them.

The thieves got into my zipped purse (which was under my arm) and got the wallet without my knowledge. They are that good.

No kidding??? :eek::eek: YIKES!

Do you remember which area you were in when this occurred?

I have been fortunate and have not yet been a victim but am worried about the theft problem, particularly in Barcelona. I wear a pouch under my blouse/shirt but I have heard of these being cut from around the neck. Anyone heard of this? Would a leg pouch or belt worn under clothing be a better option than the pouch I wear across my upper body under my clothing?

jill

Edited by dogs4fun

I guess Barcelona gets singled out because of stats but pickpockets are everywhere where the tourists are. And they are pretty skillful. So the best defense is prevention; if there is nothing to steal nothing will be stolen.

I've never had a problem (and we go to Europe every year). There is no need to carry original passports or driver license (photocopies are good enough), wear expensive jewelry, watches and carry large amounts of cash. For smaller expenses I have around 20 euros & change in my pocket and that gets stolen so be it. I have a shoulder bag (I think it's "American Tourister" brand) with two zipped pockets inside. I keep camera & CCs there. To get to them thief has to open main zipper and then the other one; too much work without attracting attention. BTW I was always asked for ID when using non Spanish CCs in Spain (even ones with a pin) so I am surprised to read that stolen CC's got used right away. Most CC's now (except American ones) got chips and require pin which is really no use for the thief. And merchants should know better & refuse to swipe the card if chip is there.

On one of our European land tours, our director also warned us about the pickpocketing. She recommended, when in a pinch, you can keep your valuables in a thin sock pinned to the inside of the front of your pants.

I go the extra step of sewing a thin zippered pocket on the inside to the waistband (got the idea from a pair of travel pants I bought at Tilleys). When you flip it out the zipper is on the outside. It's just large enough to hold your passport (if you have to carry it), a credit card, and small amount of cash.

The inside pockets are less bulky and more comfortable than a waist pouch. A bit extra effort, but this has worked well for us on past trips, including three visits to Barcelona.

On one of my Transatlantics Bob Arno (profesional pickpocket) did a seminar on keeping your belongings safe, his advice was a pouch that hangs round your neck and lies against your chest, he gave these out to all at the seminar and I have used mine for 7 years when in major cities, touch wood never lost anything yet :)

I have used a Pacsafe purse and wallet on several European trips and also on a trip to Southern Africa. The version that I like has an interior secondary zippered pocket for the Pacsafe wallet; the wallet is chained to the inside of the purse. A thief would have to go through two layers to get to the wallet, then disconnect the chain. The purse has the anti-slash mesh in the bottom and sides and the thin metal cables in the strap. I keep nothing of value in the top zippered compartment and I wear it "bandolier style" with the front flap facing my body and keep a hand on the strap at all times. The purse also has deep interior pockets for passports that are inside a secondary zippered compartment and secured with Velcro straps.

When sitting at a table, I put my foot through the strap and pull the bag over my leg so that the strap is around my thigh and keep the purse between my legs. Awkward, but easier than keeping it around my neck when eating or drinking.

My DH has a Pacsafe wallet that has a chain that hooks to his belt loops (the chain won't work from a back pocket). The Pacsafe wallets also come in RFID-shielded versions so that someone can't read your magnetically encoded information on credit cards, etc.

It's worked so far in London, Rome, Naples, Athens, Istanbul, Cape Town, Johannesburg, all over the Caribbean and in many big cities in the US and will get another test this September when we have an extended stay in Barcelona.

WOW I am just speechless on what to say and ask! I never imagined it was this bad. Kind of sorry I have a day post cruise now in Barcelona, I was looking forward to seeing the sights and walking around and possibly hitting the beach.

Do you really suggest I leave my wedding rings at home?? I have never taken them off and I traveled alone last year with my young twin daughters in Paris I even walked the streets at night with them and never once felt we may be in danger...I don't even know If I can get them off without doing my finger in..lol Not to mention DH would wonder why I was leaving home without them especially when he wasn't coming this time..;)

Sounds like I definitely have to look into one of these purses/bags you all suggest. But I do have to ask how in the world can they be so bold as to steal from you if your purse/bag/wallet is on you??? I just can't wrap my head around it. I can see it if you put it down somewhere then yes, but to actually walk up to you and cut it or take something out really makes my head spin.

Still weighing on my mind...another thought how safe are the hotels even with using the safe?

Also what about transportation I have arranged for a private shuttle from Airport to port and then from port to hotel and then back to airport. As I always have locks on my luggage is there anything else I should be cautious about?

Don't freak out. The crimes are crimes of opportunity and stealth, for the most part. If you put your valuables where a thief literally CANNOT get to them in any casual way, you'll be fine.

It was my own fault for carrying a bag (albeit a zipped, cross body bag) in Barcelona. I should've known better. But I thought I could outsmart them, what with all my travel experience.

Guess what, you cannot always account for every contingency and be 100% alert when traveling. At some point, your attention WILL wander, and if you're unlucky, like I was, your wallet will be gone.

On the other hand, if you wear a neck pouch, or a secret "pin in" pocket inside your pants, or any of the other options, you'll likely be fine.

Personally, I don't put faith in the PacSafe products. First, it's easy enough for thieves on scooters to snatch a bag -- in which case all your precautions avail you nothing. Second, I've read here and elsewhere that thieves are aware of these bags and know the specific areas where they are not reinforced.....

Men: putting your wallet in a front pocket is not secure. I know 3 colleagues from work who've had their wallets lifted in Europe this way within the last 12 months.

Don't freak out. The crimes are crimes of opportunity and stealth, for the most part. If you put your valuables where a thief literally CANNOT get to them in any casual way, you'll be fine.

It was my own fault for carrying a bag (albeit a zipped, cross body bag) in Barcelona. I should've known better. But I thought I could outsmart them, what with all my travel experience.

Guess what, you cannot always account for every contingency and be 100% alert when traveling. At some point, your attention WILL wander, and if you're unlucky, like I was, your wallet will be gone.

On the other hand, if you wear a neck pouch, or a secret "pin in" pocket inside your pants, or any of the other options, you'll likely be fine.

Personally, I don't put faith in the PacSafe products. First, it's easy enough for thieves on scooters to snatch a bag -- in which case all your precautions avail you nothing. Second, I've read here and elsewhere that thieves are aware of these bags and know the specific areas where they are not reinforced.....

Men: putting your wallet in a front pocket is not secure. I know 3 colleagues from work who've had their wallets lifted in Europe this way within the last 12 months.

OMG ok right there..how does a mans wallet get lifted out of the front pocket?? You would have to see the person or feel them feeling you?? GRRR

OMG ok right there..how does a mans wallet get lifted out of the front pocket?? You would have to see the person or feel them feeling you?? GRRR

No, you quite likely won't feel a thing. They are quite skilled. They do this day in, day out. And keep in mind that you'll be walking down busy, crowded streets where you might easily get jostled by someone. Getting on a bus? Beware the person getting off that "accidentally" bumps into you. On the subway? Beware the person standing behind you that gently leans into you every time the speed increases or decreases.......you'll start to get the picture.

Please don't think every single person experiences these issues -- they don't; only a minority do. But to ensure you aren't one of the unlucky minority, don't take chances -- don't be an easy mark.

I can't say often enough that if you don't carry any unneeded valuables with you, and if you secure those that you DO carry (e.g., inside your clothing) you should be fine and you won't have to worry about a thing.

No, you quite likely won't feel a thing. They are quite skilled. They do this day in, day out. And keep in mind that you'll be walking down busy, crowded streets where you might easily get jostled by someone. Getting on a bus? Beware the person getting off that "accidentally" bumps into you. On the subway? Beware the person standing behind you that gently leans into you every time the speed increases or decreases.......you'll start to get the picture.

Please don't think every single person experiences these issues -- they don't; only a minority do. But to ensure you aren't one of the unlucky minority, don't take chances -- don't be an easy mark.

I can't say often enough that if you don't carry any unneeded valuables with you, and if you secure those that you DO carry (e.g., inside your clothing) you should be fine and you won't have to worry about a thing.

Wow a real eye opener. Thanks

We are born and raised New Yorkers....you would think that we would have been savvy enough. We were almost victims.

Walking up by the Olympic Stadium near the fountains we thought were were shat upon by some birds in the trees above. After we were slimed we were approached by some "helpful" ladies who wanted to wipe my DH's pants down. My husband thought I truly bought it when I went balistic and nearly beat the dickens out of the one "lady" who had her dirty rag near DH's privates and pocket. They beat a hasty retreat to get away from the crazy old lady - ME!!!

Turned out I was right. It was the squirt and pickpocket ploy. PO'd that they got one of my nice jackets filthy and my DH's pants stained. But it turned out ok.

Better was later in the evening in a side street off Las Ramblas where a bunch of young thugs stopped a couple in front of us to talk to them and wound up lifting the man's wallet. Crazy DH ran after them and made them give the wallet back. I was so angry at him for confronting them. Pickpocketing is usually a crime of opportunity with no violence but my DH was stupid to find out.

Barcelona was the worst town. Been all over the world and never saw it that bad. Twice in one day.

Heed all warnings.