Allure:Central Park View or Ocean View? What would you do?

I am planning on sailing on the the Allure in March 2013. For the same price I can book an oceanview (deck 3) or a Central Park View (deck 9). What would you do? I enjoy seeing the ocean, but have read that Central Park is really nice too. I have never been on the Allure and am having a hard time deciding.

Thanks!

Hmm...I think I would book the Central Park view (it's not a balcony, right?). It's more fun, and more centrally located. Plus, you can monitor crowds at the Park Cafe! Oceanview is usually better, but I wouldn't want to be down on deck 3 - too far from the action!

Actually, from experience I would do the OCEAN view.

We booked a Boardwalk view cabin when we sailed on the Allure (I thought it would be cool to try it). Yes, it's a different kind of view from what you can get on any other cruise ship, and it's nice to see the action, people walking by, etc. But after a few days, that view started getting VEEEEEERY old. Obviously, It didn't change!

Allure is a wonderful ship, but it has a BIG drawback: Main public areas like the Royal Promenade, Central Park, Boardwalk, and the Entertainment District have NO ocean views, or very limited ones. Since we couldn't see the ocean from our cabin, and we would only get quick glimpses of the ocean walking around the ship, we felt VERY disconnected from the ocean all week long. It didn't feel as if we were cruising.

Sailing aboard one of these interior facing cabins made me realize how important having an ocean view is. If price is the same, definitely get the ocean view... :)

I have to agree with Tapi. I had a Central Park view (well, a balcony, but same view! :) ) on the Allure and I felt like I hardly ever saw the ocean. Unless it cost a significant amount more, I'd definitely take any type of oceanview room (with or without a balcony) over a central park/boardwalk view room. I'd even prefer an oceanview window to a CP/BW balcony on those ships.

I had a Central Park View room on Deck 9 on my first Oasis Cruise and thought it was very nice. At night all the lights in Central Park are pretty. However, I've never had an Ocean View room so I can't compare. In fact on our first cruise, I was almost going to go with an Interior room until I found out that the Central Park View Room was not much more expensive. I guess it all depends if you want to look out at the ocean or out at the trees, plants, and restaurants of Central Park.

On our 2nd cruise we got a Boardwalk Balcony room and that is quite different overlooking the Boardwalk compared to Central Park.

At night of course you aren't going to see anything out an ocean view window. Also Deck 9 is a little more centrally located than Deck 3, if that makes a difference to you.

I am planning on sailing on the the Allure in March 2013. For the same price I can book an oceanview (deck 3) or a Central Park View (deck 9). What would you do? I enjoy seeing the ocean, but have read that Central Park is really nice too. I have never been on the Allure and am having a hard time deciding.

Thanks!

Well, I choose a oceanview balcony cabin deck 8 for my upcoming cruise. Don't get me wrong I like staying at resorts and having a resort feel, but when I am on a cruise I want to smell and see the ocean. So, I would rather look out at the water than to feel like I am staying at the Gaylord Palms Resort and Spa or whatever. I feel I will have adquate access to Central Park and Boardwalk with my cabin choice. So, it's really gonna be a matter of personal choice as to which one you should choose. For me it was an easy choice.:)

Actually, from experience I would do the OCEAN view.

We booked a Boardwalk view cabin when we sailed on the Allure (I thought it would be cool to try it). Yes, it's a different kind of view from what you can get on any other cruise ship, and it's nice to see the action, people walking by, etc. But after a few days, that view started getting VEEEEEERY old. Obviously, It didn't change!

Allure is a wonderful ship, but it has a BIG drawback: Main public areas like the Royal Promenade, Central Park, Boardwalk, and the Entertainment District have NO ocean views, or very limited ones. Since we couldn't see the ocean from our cabin, and we would only get quick glimpses of the ocean walking around the ship, we felt VERY disconnected from the ocean all week long. It didn't feel as if we were cruising.

Sailing aboard one of these interior facing cabins made me realize how important having an ocean view is. If price is the same, definitely get the ocean view... :)

Well, I choose a oceanview balcony cabin deck 8 for my upcoming cruise. Don't get me wrong I like staying at resorts and having a resort feel, but when I am on a cruise I want to smell and see the ocean. So, I would rather look out at the water than to feel like I am staying at the Gaylord Palms Resort and Spa or whatever. I feel I will have adquate access to Central Park and Boardwalk with my cabin choice. So, it's really gonna be a matter of personal choice as to which one you should choose. For me it was an easy choice.:)

Totally agree with Tapi (from experience) with Ocean View. We chose oceanview balcony on Oasis and I was so glad that I did. It is definately a personal choice but, for me, nothing compares to an oceanview balcony. I love sitting on my balcony while in port and being able to see OUTSIDE.

Mmketeer -- you will love deck 8 oceanview with great access to Central Park and the Park Cafe!!

I actually find this question a little odd.

You are going on a vacation at sea.

You have a static view from the windows in your house.

Why on earth would anyone want a few people walking about among a few bushes when they are at sea, and can look at the ocean, the ports of call and the sights that you are paying to visit?

:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Why on earth would anyone want a few people walking about among a few bushes when they are at sea, and can look at the ocean, the ports of call and the sights that you are paying to visit?

It's not an odd question at all. I've been wondering the same thing. I'd love an oceanview balcony, but the cost is not even close. That leaves me with the choice of an inside (any deck), central park view with no balcony (deck 9) or oceanview with no balcony on deck 3. I could book the inside on deck 11 or 12 and use the aft public area to see the ocean and boardwalk or I could go down a few decks to with the central park view and have some light in the cabin. The least appealing choice for me would be the oceanview on deck 3 because of the location. I just don't think I'd get much enjoyment from looking out the window at an ocean I can't smell or hear.

Pay the extra and get an oceanview balcony. I did that for our upcoming march allure trip.. The way I saw the price difference, it's only a little extra money per month since the trip is a year away. If its say 800 extra for 2 people, that's only like around 100 extra dollars a month :)

Here's another view: There are 10s of thousands of oceanview & balcony cabins available to cruise passengers (they all have similar views, regardless of ship.) But there are just a few HUNDRED cabins avail in the world with the unique beauty of a Central Park view AND the luxury of being just steps away from views of the ocean if you want them. Just my 2 cents. :)

Also factor in how much time you realistically will be in your cabin. If the answer is not much, go for the more affordable option or, if the price is the same, the one with the best chance of a price drop before final payment.

Its also a matter of having your own outdoor area or not. Ocean view on deck 3 is a window, At least Central park deck 9 is a balcony. Between the two I'd take the balcony, but once again my first choice is a deck 12 ocean view balcony.

Its also a matter of having your own outdoor area or not. Ocean view on deck 3 is a window, At least Central park deck 9 is a balcony. Between the two I'd take the balcony, but once again my first choice is a deck 12 ocean view balcony.

Deck 9 are just Central Park view, with just a window. The balconies start on Deck 10 and up.

The deck 9 central park cabins have a picture window but no balcony. Having some natural light in the cabin is a big plus over the inside. The only reason we'd do the inside would be to get on deck 11 or 12. Since we need a triple with a sleeper sofa, it pushes us into the more expensive D3 or D4 cabins to get a balcony. I can't see myself spending time looking out at either the ocean or central park from a picture window. I would really enjoy the balcony but the extra $1000 would cover airfare. I've been going in circles on this for weeks. I can sympathizes with the OP.

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions.

I can see the perks of a balcony - - but there is more to it than the view. I had my last RCI balcony ruined by smoking. If I am cruising with RCI, I will never get a balcony until they change their policy about smoking on the balconies. You asked why - for me this is why.

I can see the perks of a balcony - - but there is more to it than the view. I had my last RCI balcony ruined by smoking. If I am cruising with RCI, I will never get a balcony until they change their policy about smoking on the balconies. You asked why - for me this is why.

I totally agree. I am very intolerant of and allergic to smoke. We wanted an ocean view balcony but it was not worth the risk for me. If I am going to have a balcony, I better be able to enjoy it. We are very happy with our upcoming Central Park Balcony (NO SMOKING ALLOWED on these balconies).

Besides, if they know that the smoke travels, why not change the policy?

Archived