Live aboard the beautiful and elegant Nieuw Amsterdam with ASIWISH!

ASIWISH

Kevin, totally agree about loving Nieuw Amsterdam. I don't think we have to tell you to enjoy your cruise, will just say Congratulations on another wise choice!

We also had Devid and Hillman as cabin stewards in February. They were the best! Wish them well from us,(Jan.29 1116).

If you have Jazzy as the DJ, you should try and go to some of the Karaoke events and especially "The Battle of the Sexes".

You will really die laughing!

Looking forward to your updates.

Annemarie

Hi,

I will be on the NA April 1st so I am following your posting very eagerly.

If you can could you find out if it will be the same crew for the transatlantic and behond, i.e. captain, CD piano etc.

Thanks a bunch and enjoy your cruise.

Diane

We booked last minute, and wasn't sure I would do a "live from" thread... but, it was so much fun last time, I decided to!

I, for one, am soooooooooo glad you decided to do a "live from" thread, Kevin! Yours are the absolute BEST!

Hey Kevin,

Who are you kidding! your nieces aren't that "little"! It sounds like you are having fun! Enjoy

To HIMSELF- I know who the Illinois Four are (thank God we aren't one of them), but we are just an Illinois Family of Five. Nice to meet you! Kevin has alot of nice things to say about you!

Kelly

Kevin,

I'm so happy I saved your post to read before I head off to bed. I was LOL'ing and I can head to bed with a smile on my face.

GREAT job.....

I'm with Nancy. When you eat dessert in front of her, you must be punisheD!!! It's in the rule book wive's get but never show you. We make you guess the rules..... :D

Happy you are enjoying yourself so much.

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Kevin - don't forget bingo is like the lottery - it only takes one to win:):)

Great thread. Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us and, I truly admire you for giving up your desserts for lent:)

Tuesday – Day Three – Turks and Caicos

I woke in the middle of the night to some very rough seas, some lightening in the distance, and two pieces of chocolate on my nightstand… so all wasn’t all bad.

The storm appeared to stay in the distance, with only the sun hanging out above the Nieuw Amseterdam. As we approached the island, we saw a ship in the distance making its entry. It was the Costa Atlantica. They boarded on the south side of the pier, and right on time we pulled along side of her.

Typical for Grand Turk, we raced off the ship to make certain that we got prime beach chairs with just the right palm tree above us to protect of from the sun as she moved across the morning sky. It’s a good thing we did, because 90-minutes later there were only about 250 chairs left!!! (Why do we always do that???) To me it appears as if there were more chairs than ever. Good thing as the Atlantica and NA were almost full. The crowd, however, only added to the fun. It didn’t seem crowded at all, but rather it seemed vibrant. A great, active port.

As we left the ship, an ambulance pulled along side the Atlantica… reminding me that ‘these cruise ship passengers are really old’!!! But, alas, it was a minor medical issue and the patient waved as he boarded the van. I will say, I didn’t notice him returning to the ship, though…

I decided that I was going to go for a run in Grand Turk, as we have determined after six visits that is about as safe a port as we have seen. So I left the cruise port, and headed down the road. The Islanders were wonderful, with everyone taking the time to wave to me, and some even offering to call me an ambulance! How thoughtful… after a couple days at the buffet, running was a real crapshoot for me.

While the road is nicely travelled, it is quiet and peaceful, and there were about two dozen people walking along it – heading to town, I suspect. Don’t they know how far it is, I thought?

I cut my run short, because at the two mile mark I cam upon a lose bull with what appeared to be 12-inch horns! I was not taking any chances with him… back to port for me!!! Silently, I wished I would have seen him about a mile earlier… as running in that heat was something I was not used to!

I should add a follow up to my November “Live from”. Nancy and I paid $80 for a golf cart to tour Grand Turk on our own… and LOVED IT! Upon returning home, someone on CC mentioned they paid $50. I stopped an asked, for the fun of it, and they quoted me $80. I offered $50, and they agreed. I didn’t rent one, but for $50 it is a terrific way to see the island. They are just outside the cruise port on the other side of the gate. The “operation” seemed bigger and some of the mopeds seemed new. They must be getting bigger and better, so I recommend checking it out.

When I returned from my run, I jumped back on the ship to shower and change, then met Nancy on the beach chairs – still several hundred available… I was again awed by the sight of the most beautiful, free beach sitting in front of a gorgeous cruise ship floating on turquoise water. But then it happened… oh, it happened…

I looked to my left to see a short, 60 year-old Italian man in a speedo swimsuit… horror! Quickly, I turned to the right to spare my eyes and was further shocked to see a 70 year old Italian man in an even smaller speedo swimsuit..!!! Everywhere I looked, all I saw was old men, young men, pale men, and the worst FAT men in speedo swimsuits. At least 300 of them. Do they think that’s funny or something?

WHERE ARE ALL THE TOPLESS WOMEN??? ALL I SEE ARE SPEEDOS. I heard one man comment to his wife that he “put his speedo on last Monday, and hadn’t seen it since…

I wasn’t expecting this at all. I’ve never shared a port with a European cruise ship before. It was quite an experience… nice people, but they had little regard for the torture they were inflicting on us. It was like staring into the sun… when you closed your eyes you still saw them… I’m not quite over it, yet. I won’t dwell on it, but as we sat back in our beach chairs to fade away into our novels, we promised to not let one another fall asleep – for fear of the nightmares we might have…

After a bit, we decided to try the “famous” Jack’s Shack down the beach, and almost immediately said to each other, “What’s the big deal?” It is pretty unremarkable with a terrific view. But because every place has a terrific view on this island, we finished our drink and moved on. At least we can say we tried it.

On the other hand, there is a new place since our November cruise, called the White Sands Beach Resort that is VERY nice. It is the first property off the cruise port, offers free internet, good drink specials, with free wi-fi. The conk fritters were better than average, and beer was colder than average – a good enough mix for me! We stayed for about 60 minutes, and agreed to settle our tab… quickly realizing that Nancy forgot our money aboard the ship! She told the waitress she would run onboard to grab some cash, and then happily agreed to leave ME as collateral. I ordered another Turk’s Head Island Draught for $4.50 (money I didn’t have), and slowly began to wonder if Nancy was coming back for me… was this all part of her Master Plan… she wouldn’t, right…? Could she be beautiful AND diabolical…? Suddenly, with that in mind, I began to fall in love with her all again.

I methodically went through my options and settled on the reality that I had few… there were several hundred men on the beach I could politely explain the situation to and ask to borrow some money, but from the looks of their speedo swimsuits, there wasn’t much room inside them for extra money… They was barely enough room for themselves…

Nancy showed up, laughing hysterically, commenting on how many times this must happen with guests much farther from the cruise ship than us… that must be a horrible feeling!

As we headed back to the ship, we got our freebie necklaces and charms from the port shops, using our secret codes. The kids will love them, and we appreciated the offers! We’ll do that in each port as we shop!

We popped up on the top of the ship to watch the Costa sail a away. It was the first time I had seen a Costa ship so close to shore, standing upright, so I took a picture (sorry, I couldn’t help myself…). Hoping for a fun sail a way, with horns blasting, people whistling, and waving – I was disappointed. It was very subdued. I was unsure if it was just the European demeanor, or if they were just repulsed by our baggy swimsuits. Too bad…

We departed at 2:50, so we took a quick nap and woke for church at 5:00. I enjoy mass in the Hudson Room, as it is very intimate. HIMSELF, I have already forgotten the priest’s name, but he is a retired priest from New Jersey, got his Master from the University of Notre Dame, and offers a great mass.

We had reservations for the Tamarind for 8:00, but found ourselves with nothing to do until then so we asked if they could accommodate us. Happily, they did. It was exactly as I remembered it from a year ago… perfect. I will add though, that again the crew looked tired as they were struggling with the changes to the staffing. They too have more tables, and have implemented runners. We were in an out the door in 45-minutes, thinking that every other time we ate there it took almost 90-minutes… but I don’t exactly recall. Loved it, but once a cruise is enough for me. Best restaurant on the ship.

After dinner, we walked a bit and then got our seats for the show. Tonight it was Live From the Avalon Ballroom. Nancy felt that An Evening on the Titanic might have been a better name, as the show was a disaster! (again sorry, I couldn’t help myself!) We wanted to leave, but in our quest for good seats, we plopped ourselves down in the middle seats of the middle row of the theatre. We were stuck! Uugh….

After the show, the Queen’s Lounge offered a hilarious edition of Call My Bluff… worth attending. Guests in the Northern Lights was danced to ‘90’s Retro Hour with DJ Marty.

Today’s movie was Crazy, Stupid, Love… we passed, as we feel we lived it for the past 24 years! Maybe we’ll catch a movie tomorrow.

In any event, the weather is gorgeous with it being sunny and 81-degrees. Heading to San Juan tomorrow for our favorite restaurant and shopping! Can’t wait…

Thanks for joining me…

Having sweet dream aboard the beautiful and elegant Nieuw Amsterdam.

Great Live from... too funny!

If you get a chance test the download/upload speed on the ship with something like speedtest.net

Hopefully it would only burn a minute of your internet time. I started a new thread for those of us willing to post our results when we get home.

Thanks so much for posting your live from. You have a great sense of humor and your writing style is very entertaining. We sail on Sunday, and reading your updates is helping the wait go by more quickly :)

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I am thoroughly enjoying your review. Still laughing about the guy who hadn't seen his Speedo for days.:D

from Sail,

GREAT job.....

I'm with Nancy. When you eat dessert in front of her, you must be punisheD!!! It's in the rule book wive's get but never show you. We make you guess the rules..... :D

We also never show the rule book because it's necessary to make periodic adjustments.:rolleyes:

I would have stockpiled my chocolates until Easter. Sounds like Nancy is being pretty generous.

Thanks for the info on the White Sand Beach Resort. I'm going to have to check that out next time I'm there.

I can't wait to hear where you are shopping in San Juan. I was totally disappointed in February and didn't spend a cent. I have a black belt in shopping so I was disappointed. I know people say it's great but I don't get it.

We got off the NA on March 18 after a great 2 weeks. You are in "our" cabin. The stewards are great. Could you say hello from Terry and Elizabeth. I'm so jealous you got to go to Grand Turk. We tried to dock 3 times and gave up. Enjoy your cruise.

She told the waitress she would run onboard to grab some cash, and then happily agreed to leave ME as collateral. I ordered another Turk’s Head Island Draught for $4.50 (money I didn’t have), and slowly began to wonder if Nancy was coming back for me… was this all part of her Master Plan… she wouldn’t, right…?

After the wrinkle cream comment who could blame her??

Great live from! Really enjoying following along. Thanks for taking the time to keep us in the loop.

Archived