Live aboard the beautiful and elegant Nieuw Amsterdam with ASIWISH!

ASIWISH

Kevin - you are really, really good and funny:) Can't blame you for snapping a picture of a Costa ship upright. Believe me, everyone did it on our cruise too:p Really enjoying your thread. Thanks so much for giving us a all enjoyment:D

Come on! Frightened by a few hundred banana hammocks? Get right up next to an Aida ship and you will have quite the feast for the binos- equal amounts of topless women and men in budgie smugglers.

I am immune to them after spending a year in Greece in my 20's, most of that time in Mykonos. You could see the American women coming from 100 yards away. I was never one for the headlights look so I was happy to adopt that particular Greek custom.

Glad you are having fun and that you liked Grand Turk. Why did I hate it so much? It was a few years ago- I will definitely give it another shot!

Can't wait for your next installment-

Carla

Cruised the N. Amsterdam last week. Stop by the Sports Bar and say "HI" to Dom from Wendy and Elena. Great server and you will get a big smile for sure. He was our favorite last week and miss his great service and smile. Have a great time!!!

Wendy

Your writing is so funny. I am sitting here all by myself, laughing so hard, that if anyone saw me they would wonder what was going on. Glad you are having such a good time Keep those blogs coming. I think everyone is enjoying them as much as I am.

Kevin... Really enjoying your day to day review. You have a great way with words. You absolutely cracked me up with the speedo bit. Unfortunately I have seen it in Europe and now you have brought it all back ....if I don't sleep tonight it will be your fault ... lol

There was an Irish Priest on from Trenton with me in January. He was Chaplain for an Irish group that was on with Irish entertainment. ( The Wolf Tones, The Makem and Spain Brothers and others I don't recall.) The Priest actually does a Gaelic Mass.

What fun! I'm so glad I found your reports. You are painting a very interesting visual image for me - oh no, wait, that's not quite the image I was hoping for - too many speedos!! I hope the next report will give me a different visual on which to focus! :)

Day Four – Wednesday – San Juan, Puerto Rico

One of our favorites days on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary, because it allows you to sleep late without really missing anything. I don’t mean to brag or anything, but I am really, really good at sleeping late.

We awoke to a beautiful 75-degree day, although it didn’t stay that comfortable a day for long. By mid-day, when we happened to be visiting to Fort, the temperatures almost got unbearable, but the ocean breeze helped… as did a few sangrias.

We began the day at Table 122 – the Honeymoon Table, enjoying terrific service and leisurely pace… Cold cereal and fruit only, as this morning I am officially “in training”. The highlight of my day was a mere five hours ahead of me… the big show… the game… the battle. I had been looking forward to attempting to eat the Tan Tan Pork Chop at Café Raices in Old San Juan since our November cruise. I am a big fan of the show Man vs Food on the Travel Channel, and the host featured this restaurant in the Puerto Rico episode of his show. The restaurant, one of San Juan’s best, features a large pork chop – 22-ounces – with the skin intact that is marinated, roasted, and ultimately deep fried. The skin becomes a pork rind and offers a wonderful texture addition to the chop. It is remarkable. Today, I planned to “be one” with that pork chop. But first, I had some things to do..

At 10:00 in the Crow’s Nest, HAL arranged a reception for all of the Veterans on board. While I am not one, I have always had a great deal of respect for them. So I hung around the entrance to nod at the attendees as they entered and to thank a few for their service. I think this was a very classy thing for HAL to do. I am unsure if it is a regular thing, as I have never seen it before but makes my list as another reason to love Holland America Line.

Until noon, we enjoyed the sun on deck until the scenic sail-in to San Juan and have the sun burn to prove it.

There is a historian on board who provided terrific commentary via the load speaker as we entered the port. HAL was to open the bow of the ship for this event, but we opted for a seat on the white storage boxes at the back corner of the Lido pool deck. It is an extremely comfortable place to enjoy sail-aways and sail-ins. You’re high enough to remove the rail from your view and if you order drinks you can just set them next to you. Check them out next time. There is one on each side of the ship.

We were joined in port by the Carnival Liberty. The Liberty left two hours after we arrived, so the port was all ours. Very nice.

Off in the distance, in the industrial portion of the port next to the small airport, sat the Princess ship that had the propulsion issue last week getting repaired. Now, I’m just theorizing about that, but I have never seen a ship there, and it did not seem like a passenger terminal. What that must cost them in lost revenue if that was the ship!

We raced the few blocks to Café Raices, and ordered a Tan Tan Pork Chop, some Shrimp Mofungo for Nancy, and a half pitcher of Sangria for Nancy and I to wash it all down with… (it sounds like a lot to drink but it isn’t.) I am always amazed at the quality of food in the restaurant. With it’s proximity to the pier, I highly recommend it. I finished about 18-ounces of the pork shop, and then stared loving into Nancy eyes as she stared back in complete disgust and disapproval. I guess it’s a guy thing, but I was pretty proud of myself. (sleeping late and eating a 22-ounce pork chop made me feel like on of the Baldwin Brothers!!!)

We left the restaurant to do some shopping, hoping that the shopping hadn’t continue to deteriorate – as it has appeared to over the past eighteen months. It appears that the economy has hit Old San Juan pretty hard as many big name outlet stores have left (we miss Burberry especially). It appears to be getting worse with a lot of empty shops, not a lot of deals, and a good showing of tourists with few shopping bags, other that Walgreens and CVS. We even noticed a virtual shut down of the construction and renovation work that seemed to be thriving in Old San Juan in the past year. A highlight was that Polo (while a bit of a ripoff) has moved down by the passenger terminal area… perhaps paving the way for more shopping closer to the pier?

San Juan is still a beautiful place, with remarkable architecture, and we do love it so… as we walked, we hoped for a quick revival.

We visited the grounds of the fort, but didn’t go in. We enjoy watching the kite flyers, and the cemetery by the sea at the base of the fort (east side). It is one of the most beautiful cemeteries we have ever seen, and provides a peaceful break to the itinerary.

After taking the long way home we picked a spot on the rail on the Promenade Deck above the entrance of the ship to see if any stragglers would miss the ship as it sets sail. It’s a bit morbid, but does provide some excitement. 13 minutes after “all aboard” about 30 passengers arrived in a bit of a panic. It must have been a HAL excursion, as the ship did wait for them. It all ended well, with a beautiful nighttime sail a way a few minutes later.

We enjoyed sail a way from our table in the MDR, struggling to see the sights as the dining room lights reflected in the window. I’ll have to remember next time, that you really can’t enjoy an 8:00pm sail a way from San Juan from the dining room. Lesson learned.. hope this information helps others. Better idea: enjoy the sail a way from the Lido Deck and head down to dinner about 8:30pm.

I ate light, ordering the “available every night” salmon, and thought the little bit I had was terrific. Nancy, on the other hand, order two appetizers (Caprese salad, tuna tartar), a dinner salad, and the salmon. As she stared loving into my eyes, I stared at hers with jealousy and resentment because she had the brains NOT to eat a 22-ounce pork chop for lunch…! What was I thinking???

In lieu of a show, they played the movie Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in the Showroom at Sea at 5:30 and 8:00. That must have been wonderful, but we were off the ship at 5:30 and at dinner at 8:00. The Indonesian Crew Show was at 11:00, but we missed it… not feeling badly, because this crew has put on one hell of a show for us all week!

The Queen’s Lounge featured Travel Trivia at 7:00 – great for experienced travelers – and Karaoke Superstar at 8:00.

Fun was had at the LIDO POOL PARTY at 9:30.. perfect night for it!

In the “little movie theatre” today’s movie was Like Crazy with Felicity Jones. Great movies this week, huh? Haven’t seen one….

Tomorrow is St. Maarten – our favorite!!! So, it should be a long update! Looking forward to visiting with you then…

Hope you have as sweet dreams as we are sure to have tonight aboard the beautiful and elegant Nieuw Amsterdam.

I may be wrong (always a good possibility) but when we cruised out of San Juan on Princess we were at a pier much further away from where the ships dock when just visiting San Juan for a port of call. Could this be where the disabled Princess ship is now docked?

By the way, thanks much for your entertaining reports!

The Last time I was in San Juan I tried the Bicardi Rum Factory tour and the Fort and I enjoyed it quite a bit. (The Tour as opposed to the rum!)

Irish meme: "Ah, that Faither O'Flaherty: what a wonderful priest. He always says Mass. Drunk or sober, he always says Mass. . . ."

We've just booked a 12-day cruise on NA for June. Venice to Barcelona with a few Greek isles thrown in. Can't wait.

Sea42

I may be wrong (always a good possibility) but when we cruised out of San Juan on Princess we were at a pier much further away from where the ships dock when just visiting San Juan for a port of call

<snip>

[/Quote]

You're right. :)

Princess docks at Pan American Pier in San Juan which is a distance from downtown Old San Juan. A taxi ride away for sure...... too far to walk.

Before I read this report I made sure I had nothing liquid in my hands as I knew I would be laughing and ruining my keyboard:D:p:D Congrats on nearly finishing your pork! You just needed 4 more ounces!

Great post - sleep well and don't forget to come back. We're all glued:)

At 10:00 in the Crow’s Nest, HAL arranged a reception for all of the Veterans on board. While I am not one, I have always had a great deal of respect for them. So I hung around the entrance to nod at the attendees as they entered and to thank a few for their service. I think this was a very classy thing for HAL to do. I am unsure if it is a regular thing, as I have never seen it before but makes my list as another reason to love Holland America Line.

Kevin,

On many, but not all, of the HAL cruises I have been aboard, there have been veterans' meetings. They are not greatly ballyhooed, but are sincere, and appreciated by many of us. The meetings are not fancy, nor prolonged; it is simply a time when old soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen can mingle and share memories. I happen to be a Navy man, but we are all brothers and sisters in service once; a time when we were young, and strong, and willing to go down together.

(Old joke: What's the difference betweeen a fairy tale and a Navy sailor's sea story? A fairy tale starts out, "Once upon a time ..." A sea story starts out, "Now, this is no %*&^ ...")

We don't expect you to understand or know where we have been, but we do appreciate your support.

And, thanks very much for a very enjoyable blog.

Dave,

LCDR, USN (Ret.)

Life Member, DAV

Archived