How did or Why did Celebrity become X?

lcds1

Celebrity Cruises was originally started by the Chandris group in Greece. The X is for the greek letter Chi, which stands for Chandris.

The Greek history of the cruise line is also why many of the senior officers are Greek.

How did you embed a URL? I thought this website blocked URLs in posts?

When drafting your post, use the "Insert Link" button at the top of the text window. It's directly under the smiley face icon. A popup window will appear. Just paste the URL you want to link to in the box and submit your post.

Link%20a.jpg

Your photos are awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Back when ships looked like ships, and not a floating apartment block. But hey, we do love our balconies and the choices and options these new ships give us. A hard trade off for the die hard fan of the old ships, but one I'm willing to make. ;)

Here are some pictures I recently posted that I have taken of some of the early 'X' ships....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1596241

GalileoPhiladelphia.jpg

This ship looks very similar to SS Fiorita another Chandris cruise ship that I went on as a kid back in the early 70's. It was 5,000 tonnes and able to transit the Corinth canal.

The SS Galileo Galilei was turned into Celebrity's first ship, the Meridian. It served for several years and after the merger was sold and became the Sun Vista. In 1999, it caught fire and sunk. It was a beautiful ship.

Here is a short history from Wikepedia which is pretty accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Galileo_Galilei

I think it is more like "X" became "Celebrity" ....Chandris Greek letter Chi "X"...around for many years before Celebrity....We remember when Christina Chandris selected the art for some of the ships...certainly very expensive, but we didn't quite have the palette of appreciation for it...some very weird stuff for us...

Archived