Caribbean Princess Repair Update

jchipgcs

I wonder if Princess is going to make lemonade out of lemons by refurbishing other areas of the ship while it's just sitting there. Otherwise when they do decide to refurbish it again, they'll have to take it out of service!

I was wondering the same thing. However, I suspect not having any advance preparation may make it impossible.

One of the members of the April 1st roll call just posted that they were told that the ship is fixed and ready to sail on the 1st. I can't verify the source, but I'm hoping the info is correct and we are good to go on the 1st.

Just returned on the Celebrity Summit this morning (at SJU now). I looked out my cabin this morning and was shocked to see the Caribbean Princess across the harbor from us! I thought she would have been in dry dock by now.

Best of luck to those on the next scheduled sailing.

- Mike :-)

One of the members of the April 1st roll call just posted that they were told that the ship is fixed and ready to sail on the 1st. I can't verify the source, but I'm hoping the info is correct and we are good to go on the 1st.

Wonder what was wrong with the engine? Maybe somebody accidentally switched it off???? :D

Our fellow cruiser on 4/15, that is married to a crew member, confirmed the part arrived two days ago, was installed, and the ship is now fully functional and under her own power.

The 3/25 cruise is still canceled though, right?

Hopefully the crew will take her out on a shakedown cruise, just to be sure she is really fixed this time.

"As you may be aware Caribbean Princess experienced a technical problem which required us to cancel the two previous voyages. The ship has remained in San Juan where specialized technicians have been working day and night on repairs to one of the two propulsion motors. At this time we anticipate the work to be completed on Sunday, April 1. Embarkation on Sunday, April 1 will not be impacted and is scheduled to begin at 1:00 pm. Although we do not expect a delay, it is possible that continued work may require us to make changes to the voyage itinerary. Should there be a delay, we will communicate to you the revised itinerary and details of compensation. We will provide you with updates if we receive new information. As always, the safety of our passengers and crew is our primary concern. We look forward to welcoming you onboard."

I pulled this off the April 1st roll call.

For some reason this update from Princess does make me more nervous, "that continued work may require us to make changes to the voyage itinerary"... hmmm, think they will try to make up the funds lost, by skipping ports and keeping passengers on the ship? And no test run, interetsing... cost of fuel??

For some reason this update from Princess does make me more nervous, "that continued work may require us to make changes to the voyage itinerary"... hmmm, think they will try to make up the funds lost, by skipping ports and keeping passengers on the ship? And no test run, interetsing... cost of fuel??

More likely they're worried that while they've got all the parts and staff necessary to complete the repairs, the repair job might not be complete by sailing time on April 1. Not only that, it there may not be time for a shakedown run.

IMHO, they'll board the passengers as the hotel runs fine and adjust the itinerary as required to accommodate the final repair schedule. I don't know if the repairs can be completed at sea while traveling on one prop but if they can, a shortened itinerary would be possible.

Also IMHO, it has nothing to do with cost of fuel (they haven't burned much fuel for the last two weeks, have they) or making up funds lost by not cruising. As a retired engineering project manager, I know these jobs sometimes just take a while!

Regardless you can bet the repair staff is working 24/7 to get this completed on time.

Just saw this posted on Facebook:

Embarkation will begin as scheduled at 1:00 pm on Sunday April 1. The April 8th cruise on Caribbean Princess is also still scheduled to cruise as planned.

Good progress was made overnight and we continue to expect to have all repairs and testing completed prior to our departure from San Juan.

I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed that all goes well and that we sail as planned on April 1.:)

Just saw this posted on Facebook:

Embarkation will begin as scheduled at 1:00 pm on Sunday April 1. The April 8th cruise on Caribbean Princess is also still scheduled to cruise as planned.

Good progress was made overnight and we continue to expect to have all repairs and testing completed prior to our departure from San Juan.

I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed that all goes well and that we sail as planned on April 1.:)

I'm not on either of these sailings and even I'm getting butterflies for you all! :eek: I truly, truly hope it's fixed and seaworthy. I think there's going to be A LOT of eyes watching that Bridge Cam this Sunday! :o

"As you may be aware Caribbean Princess experienced a technical problem which required us to cancel the two previous voyages. The ship has remained in San Juan where specialized technicians have been working day and night on repairs to one of the two propulsion motors. At this time we anticipate the work to be completed on Sunday, April 1. Embarkation on Sunday, April 1 will not be impacted and is scheduled to begin at 1:00 pm. Although we do not expect a delay, it is possible that continued work may require us to make changes to the voyage itinerary. Should there be a delay, we will communicate to you the revised itinerary and details of compensation. We will provide you with updates if we receive new information. As always, the safety of our passengers and crew is our primary concern. We look forward to welcoming you onboard."

I pulled this off the April 1st roll call.

That terrifies me for those on the Apr 1 sailing. We're not going till Apr 29th and although I believe very strongly ours will be ok, I don't feel so good about the April 1 sailing.

Archived