Pet Peeves

SewMuch

I have a bra clip- doesn't do anything to move the straps in the proper direction for a boatneck. Nor would a racer back. And straps in the shoulders are great to keep straps corralled for lots of tops- I use them in sleeveless dresses all the time. But they won't work with this specific top because of the fabric overlap at the shoulder seam. Ah well. My nude straps just might be seen on occasion if I ever wear the shirt out of the house again :rolleyes:

These are really the solution. Any number of dresses I have come with these already sewn in and they do work to keep bra straps from showing. Sewing them in is a bit better than just pinning them.

There are bra strap holders you can buy in the notions dept. at a fabric store. Pin them on the top seam of the shirt and there's a loop that snaps.

I have a couple of bra's with removable straps and I always carry clear straps to wear with tops that have a large neck where the straps just refuse to stay out of the way. It's not ideal because they are sometimes shiny but it's better than a giant white strap sticking out of my shirt.

Pet peeves.

1. Women who wear so much make-up that you need a spatula to scrap it off. Allow your poor skin to breathe once in awhile.

2. Spray Tans - I know some feel the need to have a little bit of colour but please check that your tan is not orange or streaky.

LOL..I've seen people do that and go in the pool and come out looking the same.

I am a reformed tanner...it's funny that a tan makes you feel "healthy" but it's the worst thing you can do to yourself. One time at the beach a kid hollered about an older gal, "Here comes Leather Lady!" I do NOT want to be that.

I spray tanned once. I went to a great salon and everything. I have olive skin. I came out of there looking like I rolled in a bag of cheetos. Luckily it wore off pretty quickly.

.it's funny that a tan makes you feel "healthy" but it's the worst thing you can do to yourself.

Sun makes the brain release endorphins. That's not a bad thing. But there are better ways to get that rush than becoming leather woman, 'tis true:p

People who don't dress age appropriate.

For instance, middle aged woman who wear thongs, hip huggers and mini dresses.

I wear a thong (under my clothes, not bathing suit). I didn't know there was an age limit on not having panty lines...

I'm with you..I live in between Miami and the Palm Beaches and when it dips into the 60's and below, it is very common to see locals here wearing boots, shoes and socks, and gasp..PANTYHOSE and tights. To someone who is accustomed to it being warm, it can feel like the arctic where as to people who are used to living where it's cold, it can feel like a heat wave.

We always joke and you can tell who the tourists are during the winter season because they are usually the ones with the tans, summer clothes and sandals while the rest of us are freezing and bundled up..LOL..I would say that I probably wear flip flops maybe 50% of the time between November and February. I know the last couple winters it even got down into the 20's and the high was only in the 50's a few days. I wore a full length wool dress one day with black boots I was so cold.

This could sorta fall into the pet peeve category..I've seen this before when I've had to travel to colder climates for business..wearing a dress with no hose or tights when it's snowing out?? Yes, really..and I've seen it more than once.

That makes three of us. I wear sandals March through November, but the other three or four months I live in TOMS--and sometimes even boots!

I wear a thong (under my clothes, not bathing suit). I didn't know there was an age limit on not having panty lines...

I made almost the same comment several pages back in this thread and it started quite the discussion! Apparently the OP was referring to thongs hanging out of the top of hip huggers, so I guess we middle-aged ladies are, in fact, free to wear our thongs to avoid panty lines without risking the wrath of the fashion police! :D

I made almost the same comment several pages back in this thread and it started quite the discussion! Apparently the OP was referring to thongs hanging out of the top of hip huggers, so I guess we middle-aged ladies are, in fact, free to wear our thongs to avoid panty lines without risking the wrath of the fashion police! :D

Ah, that makes sense. I don't like that look regardless of age.

First time I spray tanned I can hear my husband playing the oompa- loompa song I was more orange than a carrot. I like my pale vampire look thank you. And for the record I DON'T sparkle.:D Vampires don't sparkle.

No we don't! ;) But if you catch me out in the full moon I may glow a little from being so white I reflect the moonlight. :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no idea why people think thong underwear=no panty lines. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what underwear people are wearing, but sometimes it's so obvious they are wearing thong/bikini/grannnie panties due to the line showing up through their clothing, underwear lines aren't attractive. You need a wardrobe of underwear and bras for different clothing.

Last week I saw not one, but two women wearing thong underwear that you could tell were thongs because their dresses were sticking into their buttcheeks, that wouldn't have happened with a bikini or other style. The dresses weren't clingy except for that part. Who knows, maybe they weren't wearing underwear at all :confused: None of my business, really....just noticed.

I have absolutely no idea why people think thong underwear=no panty lines. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what underwear people are wearing, but sometimes it's so obvious they are wearing thong/bikini/grannnie panties due to the line showing up through their clothing, underwear lines aren't attractive. You need a wardrobe of underwear and bras for different clothing.

Last week I saw not one, but two women wearing thong underwear that you could tell were thongs because their dresses were sticking into their buttcheeks, that wouldn't have happened with a bikini or other style. The dresses weren't clingy except for that part. Who knows, maybe they weren't wearing underwear at all :confused: None of my business, really....just noticed.

I've never had my dress in my buttcheeks (yes, I'd know). I wear white briefs under white pants, and under really clingy dresses I like Spanx to smooth things out a bit. But it seems like you are implying that if you wear a thong under a dress the dress will automatically get sucked up into your butt like a vacuum, which is absolutely not true.

By the way, I used to work with a lady who wore granny panties and still had everything lodged into her butt crack--including a lifesaver one day... It wasnt' a pretty picture when she walked past, regardless of what she was wearing. I swear her raincoat was up her butt a couple of times!

I really don't spend all that much time looking at other people's butts, but (:p) sometimes it's eye catching, like the above.

I had a co-worker the other day tell me she didn't like my shoes. I asked because they were a pair that I hadn't worn in a couple years. She was honest, I don't have a problem with that. They were a pair of espradrilles, she said the wedge was too thick and they were bland (beige) looking to her. She didn't ask me what I thought of her shoes so I didn't tell her, since she was so honest with me it was probably a good thing. She had on a pair of flat white shoes with sequins, some falling off with threads hanging and the shoes were dirty, worn with black pants that were too long dragging on the floor. I just smiled and said "we all have different tastes".

That's a great way to handle it!

I really don't spend all that much time looking at other people's butts, but (:p) sometimes it's eye catching, like the above.

I had a co-worker the other day tell me she didn't like my shoes. I asked because they were a pair that I hadn't worn in a couple years. She was honest, I don't have a problem with that. They were a pair of espradrilles, she said the wedge was too thick and they were bland (beige) looking to her. She didn't ask me what I thought of her shoes so I didn't tell her, since she was so honest with me it was probably a good thing. She had on a pair of flat white shoes with sequins, some falling off with threads hanging and the shoes were dirty, worn with black pants that were too long dragging on the floor. I just smiled and said "we all have different tastes".

I've never had my dress in my buttcheeks (yes, I'd know). I wear white briefs under white pants!

Try a flesh tone under white. White actually shows more under white than a nude color does. I learned that many many years ago when I worked in the bra/lingerie department at Broadway (a wonderful dept store that I miss greatly) one summer. Same is true for bras under white shirts.

Try a flesh tone under white. White actually shows more under white than a nude color does. I learned that many many years ago when I worked in the bra/lingerie department at Broadway (a wonderful dept store that I miss greatly) one summer. Same is true for bras under white shirts.

Not when you're a pale skinned Irish lass ;)

How many years ago was that?;)

Self tanners have improved greatly over the years.:)

I totally agree. I've been using Jergens Natural Glow and Protect and have been very happy with the result. It gives a very natural gradual color, it moisturizers, and it has a 30 SPF sun protection. I mostly use it in my legs in the summer so I can wear dresses, skirts, and capris without people going blind from the glare off my neon white legs! :eek:

I like the Nivea Natural Glow, has a nice scent too and is non-greasy. Avon used to make a really great one called "Sleek and Slim" but sadly they no longer carry it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with "Neon White" legs..at least you won't be accused of being "Leather Lady" like those kids said about a lady here at the beach one day. If you look at Nicole Kidman, she has gorgeous skin and her skin is pale. Lucille Ball was another one with beautiful fair skin.

I totally agree. I've been using Jergens Natural Glow and Protect and have been very happy with the result. It gives a very natural gradual color, it moisturizers, and it has a 30 SPF sun protection. I mostly use it in my legs in the summer so I can wear dresses, skirts, and capris without people going blind from the glare off my neon white legs! :eek:

I use this as well and really like it. I use the "fair" formula because I do like my fair skin, but my legs just need that little bit of extra color. My arms seem to naturally be a couple of shades darker than the legs (I'm sure because they are exposed more often), so I have to even it out. :)

I use this as well and really like it. I use the "fair" formula because I do like my fair skin, but my legs just need that little bit of extra color. My arms seem to naturally be a couple of shades darker than the legs (I'm sure because they are exposed more often), so I have to even it out. :)

This is exactly me. If I have extra on my hands I rub it into my shoulders to avoid the farmer's tan look.

Archived