Passports

We are taking the Alaska cruise in August 2012 My passport expires February 3rd 2013 and we disembark August 20th. I plan to renew my passport in December for our March cruise. Regents says "passport must be valid six months after disembarkation" which means mine is short by a couple of weeks. Has anyone had this problem? What are they going to do? Deny my boarding? I know I'll have no problem with Canadian authorities when we disembark in Vancouver because passport does not expire until February 2013. Same with Customs for our return flight. The passport is valid until 2013. I'm very upset because I don't want to renew my passport before May (final payment) when it does not expire until Feb 2013. I plan to renew in December. Any thoughts? Has anyone encountered this problem? Thank you.

I doubt you will have any problems seeing you are just going to Canada, but I guess it depends on how observant the people looking at your info are (they would have to do the math) and how strictly they follow the rules.

I don't know if they accept a passport with less than 6 months validity, but whatever, it isn't a cruiseline's rule - it is the country rule. A cruise line has probably could care one way or another, but they have to follow the rules of the country they will be in.

I had this problem for my upcoming Alaska cruise (I'm Canadian.) I was told by my TA that the rule was absolute, and that Regent would insist on the 6-month rule. My passport was set to expire the month after we got back from our trip. As it turned out I decided to renew it last fall before we came south for the winter, so in effect I lost 8 months off my passport. A pain in the neck. So you should ask Regent or your TA in plenty of time.

I don't know if they accept a passport with less than 6 months validity, but whatever, it isn't a cruiseline's rule - it is the country rule. A cruise line has probably could care one way or another, but they have to follow the rules of the country they will be in.

I do not believe that this is the case for travel between Canada and the United States. Some countries do have this rule, but others do not. It is Regent's rule, and a general one, no matter what countries you're travelling to. (IMHO)

I do not believe that this is the case for travel between Canada and the United States. Some countries do have this rule, but others do not. It is Regent's rule, and a general one, no matter what countries you're travelling to. (IMHO)

Agree with Wendy on this. My husband goes to Canada a lot, and I know he has gone there with less than 6 mos on his passport not that long ago. In fact, he had to renew the passport after he got home so we could go on our South America cruise.

If you're an American Citizen you don't need a passport to enter Canada. You only need proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. Your passport, regardless of when it is due to expire, is valid proof.

If you're an American Citizen you don't need a passport to enter Canada. You only need proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. Your passport, regardless of when it is due to expire, is valid proof.

That is obsolete information. it is no longer true.

(Edited to add: I just checked an official website and it does actually say the above. But I'm in shock reading this, since it's common knowledge that passports are required to enter Canada. They sure are to enter the U.S. as a Canadian.)

So, colour me confused.

But the fact remains that Regent demands a passport that expires more than 6 months after the cruise.

But then, here's from another website:

"Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law. Please see the CBSA’s website for details. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens." http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

And of course you have to have your passport to get back into the U.S.

Passports have been required to enter Canada from the US for US citizens for at least 2 years, maybe 3. As I said, my husband travels to Canada at least 4 times per year. He has had to take his passport for at least the last 2 years.

Confused as to WHY you would risk an expensive vacation over a $100 renewal of your passport. I would not want to want to depend on a Regent shore team who I believe are not even Regent employees but rather a contract vendor to break a hard fast Regent rule...to much at risk IMHO

Confused as to WHY you would risk an expensive vacation over a $100 renewal of your passport. I would not want to want to depend on a Regent shore team who I believe are not even Regent employees but rather a contract vendor to break a hard fast Regent rule...to much at risk IMHO

This. Something about the OP strikes me as being penny wise, pound foolish.

All I can add to this is that my passport was out of date by 1 day on my last cruise, I rung both my travel agent and cruise line and I was told by both parties to get a new passport, the only difference between me and the op was that I was travelling from UK to Europe.

Passports have been required to enter Canada from the US for US citizens for at least 2 years, maybe 3. As I said, my husband travels to Canada at least 4 times per year. He has had to take his passport for at least the last 2 years.

Yeh well that's what we all "know", and take for granted. But here's the official website, and I'll quote an excerpt from it:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

"When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you."

Weird. And of course, you need a passport to get back into the U.S. so the whole thing is moot. So technically, you don't need one, but you need one!

We are taking the Alaska cruise in August 2012 My passport expires February 3rd 2013 and we disembark August 20th. I plan to renew my passport in December for our March cruise. Regents says "passport must be valid six months after disembarkation" which means mine is short by a couple of weeks. Has anyone had this problem? What are they going to do? Deny my boarding? I know I'll have no problem with Canadian authorities when we disembark in Vancouver because passport does not expire until February 2013. Same with Customs for our return flight. The passport is valid until 2013. I'm very upset because I don't want to renew my passport before May (final payment) when it does not expire until Feb 2013. I plan to renew in December. Any thoughts? Has anyone encountered this problem? Thank you.

Why take chances. Just renew it. You then, won't have to be upset for being just a couple of weeks short.

What is the Canada/ USA border like? Never been through it - getting the picture that it is like the Mexico/US border with armed guards etc.

I thought there would be many roads and you get to a sign that indicates you have now left one country and are now in another - am I wrong? I have no idea! Saw a Frasier episode once and Niles and Daphne seemed to get through alright

What is the Canada/ USA border like? Never been through it - getting the picture that it is like the Mexico/US border with armed guards etc.

I thought there would be many roads and you get to a sign that indicates you have now left one country and are now in another - am I wrong? I have no idea! Saw a Frasier episode once and Niles and Daphne seemed to get through alright

It used to be like that in rural areas. There's at least one town on the Quebec/Vermont border that straddles it--residents used to just go about their business--not any more. Now there's a checkpoint. And out west, in Frasier territory, they have drone aircraft flying over remote border areas watching for people like Daphne.

But the big, high-volume crossing like the Peace Bridge or Fort Erie have always been well-organized on both sides, with booths you drive through, and rooms they can take you if they need to talk to you. I'm sure the U.S. customs/immigration agents are armed, not sure the Canadians are. But no machine guns or razor wire. Ditto the U.S. customs outposts in major Canadian airports--just like coming into the U.S. from any airport overseas.

We frequently cross the U.S/Canada border at Peace Arch (Washington state crossing into British Columbia). It is probably the most beautiful border crossing area we have seen with a lovely park, etc. We have not seen a gun or any type at the border -- although I am sure they have them -- just not in the open to scare people. We love the face that both U.S. and Canadian border officials are at Vancouver Airport as it makes it easier for U.S. citizens.

IMO, Canada is considerably more advanced than the U.S. in terms of some of their security equipment. We have Global Entry for when we arrive by plane into Canada or the U.S. The U.S. use fingerprints which may or may not work. Canada uses iris scanning -- works every time!

In terms of the passport -- go ahead and renew now. You are obviously worried about it. . . . . it is so easy to relieve the worry.

All the global entry kiosks in the US that I have been to do fingerprints and iris scans both.

Thinking about the passport issue, I have figured out a way to get my husband out of my hair if I ever need to--send him up to Canada without his passport! I could print off the stuff from the Canadian border patrol site and say "oh, look, you don't need that passport after all."

All the global entry kiosks in the US that I have been to do fingerprints and iris scans both.

That's good to know. We generally fly in and out of Canada. A couple of years ago we entered the U.S. in Washington, D.C. and my fingerprints were not recognized. It was a pain. IMO, the iris scans work great.

We go to Canada from the us every summer as we have a cottage there. The border patrol in Canada are always asking if we have any "firearms" tobacco gifts alcohol etc etc. We cross at port Huron/sarnia or in Detroit. The Canadian guards have not been friendly to us, but not hostile either.

I was under the impression that a passport was needed, in addition to the rabies certificate for our golden retriever.

Coming back, the American guards are usually friendly, but that is probably due to our license plate which shows our college allegiance.

We go to Canada from the us every summer as we have a cottage there. The border patrol in Canada are always asking if we have any "firearms" tobacco gifts alcohol etc etc. We cross at port Huron/sarnia or in Detroit. The Canadian guards have not been friendly to us, but not hostile either.

I was under the impression that a passport was needed, in addition to the rabies certificate for our golden retriever.

Coming back, the American guards are usually friendly, but that is probably due to our license plate which shows our college allegiance.

We do a lot of dog shows and have never been asked for a rabies certificate or health certificate - we always have them, just never been asked for them on either side of the border.

Archived