Antarctica Cruising

Howasaur

We were unable to book the cruises going to Antarctica in 2013, are they going to be available in 2014?? I heard that they may stop theses tours due to environmental issues and concerns. Also Celebrity cruises for 2013 full.

When we booked the Veendam Jan 10, 2013 we were told several times it was the last cruise. Since we have booked they have added one more after our cruise. Several people who have visited our Roll Call are wait-listed and hoping they luck out.

We were unable to book the cruises going to Antarctica in 2013, are they going to be available in 2014??

Right now it looks like 2014 (and after) Antarctica cruises will only be on expedition type ships.

They are much more expensive than HAL, and X. They are a very different experience, although quite nice in their own right.

:confused: The HAL site shows availability in all categories on the 30 Jan 2013 sailing.

You're right.....there are lots of cabins available for that sailing. After looking at the prices, I'm glad we went three years ago.

We were in Antartica on Christmas Day, and it was a memorable trip. Don't pass it up if you are able to go.

:confused: The HAL site shows availability in all categories on the 30 Jan 2013 sailing.

They may show them..... but when i cancelled my 2013 Antarctica about 3 weeks ago, I was told they were oversold.... so I think if you try to book you get waitlisted.

Susan

They may show them..... but when i cancelled my 2013 Antarctica about 3 weeks ago, I was told they were oversold.... so I think if you try to book you get waitlisted.

Susan

One can currently book specific cabins on both the 10 and 30 Jan 2013 sailings. Not oversold at this point.

Interesting. Our Jan 10, 2013 MS Veendam cruise has been sold out for months. Now have available Inside and Ocean View Cabins; all other categories still wait-listed.

Hopefully, some of the wait-listed Roll Call visitors possibly can get a booking.

Mary Ellen, Thanks for the heads up.

..We were in Antartica on Christmas Day, and it was a memorable trip. Don't pass it up if you are able to go.

We were on the Amsterdam over Christmas and New Years on our Antarctic adventure as I suspect you were. Crossing the Antarctic Circle in the wee hours was more fun than New Years.:D

That is a magical cruise.

Why is it changing? I was hoping to go on one in 2014 or 2015. Is there a concern the ships are having a negative impact? If that is the case, how would an "expedition cruise" (not even sure what that is) be any different?

KirkNC, From what I have heard on other forums is that new regulations are going in force in regards to the type of fuel the ships that tour Antartica will be allowed to use. In 2014 the ships will all be required to use a lighter fuel than the heavy fuel that is currently being used by the larger ships today. The cost of the fuel is higher and some of the ships may have to be retrofitted to burn that lighter type of fuel. That is why some ships may no longer be sailing the Antartica routes. Many of the smaller expedition type ships already use the lighter grade fuel so it won't impact them as much. Hope this helps. Neil

KirkNC, From what I have heard on other forums is that new regulations are going in force in regards to the type of fuel the ships that tour Antartica will be allowed to use. In 2014 the ships will all be required to use a lighter fuel than the heavy fuel that is currently being used by the larger ships today. The cost of the fuel is higher and some of the ships may have to be retrofitted to burn that lighter type of fuel. That is why some ships may no longer be sailing the Antartica routes. Many of the smaller expedition type ships already use the lighter grade fuel so it won't impact them as much. Hope this helps. Neil

Thanks Neil, great answer.

You ring a bell, so to speak. I remembered reading something on Captain Mercer's blog recently and looked it up. This is from his Feb. 16th entry in Tahiti:

"We had to make sure that we had no Heavy Fuel Oil on board when we passed the 60S latitude and thus entered Antarctic Treaty waters, from that point we use MGO and as there is nowhere in Chile or Argentina where we could take Heavy fuel, we have had to come all the way to Tahiti on Marine Gas oil. MGO cost is almost double the cost of Heavy, so you can imagine how much we have spent just getting here, approximately $122 a mile, so don’t use us to go to the shopping mall!"

Archived