Epic Carnival Fantasy Review & PICS/March 23rd, 2012 Sailing

I think it took less than 30 minutes to get to Deadman's Reef. There was a little bit of a current, but nothing that made me uncomfortable. They give you a swim belt with your snorkeling equipment and you have to take a short lesson before going out to the reef. The snorkeling out to the reef is real shallow. Then you go past the tall coral - you will see this on photos - and then the water is about 30 feet deep. I just floated with my swim belt and felt comfortable doing this. There's lots of fish, some people saw turtles and stingrays. I happily didn't see the stingray !

They are very prompt in returning emails too: http://www.deadmansreef.com/cruiseships.htm

I didn't feel rushed at all. They give you a scheduled time to go back to the ship and actually kept a roster of our group so we all traveled back together.

There's food and drink there too. I had fried conch and Keith had a hamburger. Good mixed drinks and not too expensive.

Thank you for this information. We were so disappointed with Our Lucaya this time and this sounds like a wonderful alternative the next time we call on Freeport. Whenever that will be. :o

I loved your fun review! The Fantasy and Charleston are an awesome combination!

Really great review! We had a good time when we were on the Fantasy.

Thanks to both of you. Lucky me, I get to live in Charleston. Even though I was born here, there is still so much I have yet to do.

Next up was the ice carving. It always amazes me the skill these guys have that has been passed on through generations. But for the life of me...I cannot tell WTH this is

CarnivalFantasy2012167.jpg

I can't help but think this looks like cliffs with a giant waterfall. I am probably wrong but that's what it reminds me of. Great review by the way. The Fantasy was one of my first ever cruises back in the day.

Thank you for this information. We were so disappointed with Our Lucaya this time and this sounds like a wonderful alternative the next time we call on Freeport. Whenever that will be. :o

I sorry you had a bad time at Our Lucaya. Was it just the vibe or what the resort was doing? We have gone so many times to GBI that we may just pass and stay on. I would not advise this for someone that has not been to Freeport, you need to get off and explore.

We just dropped in at Cat's Lounge on the first sea day around 10:30am. The place was empty so we just sat around and chatted with each other for about a half hour or so.

We didnt have a planned/scheduled M&G through Carnival though. One day I would like to have a group big enough that we could do the cocktail party (I think it's about $12.00 pp in advance for an hour of "free" cocktails) and I really want to do a Cabin Crawl too. One day! :)

We did this on the Liberty one year...had a blast. I think our roll call had about 30 people and we kept the bartenders pretty busy. I think they were glad when we left. It was $12.50 pp if I remember correctly. You book it through the Wedding Planner. We also did a cabin crawl on one of our Princess' cruises...enjoyed that, too!

Edited by Terre

I can't help but think this looks like cliffs with a giant waterfall. I am probably wrong but that's what it reminds me of. Great review by the way. The Fantasy was one of my first ever cruises back in the day.

That is a pretty good interpretation. Pinkfloydfan says that it is the back of an indian head dress. I guess we just got it from the wrong angle. :o

I sorry you had a bad time at Our Lucaya. Was it just the vibe or what the resort was doing? We have gone so many times to GBI that we may just pass and stay on. I would not advise this for someone that has not been to Freeport, you need to get off and explore.

I guess it was just that it seemed like there was less beach and the water was so choppy. I believe that I heard that a hurricane or tropical storm hit the island a year ago and more than likely that is the reason why there is less sand. Certainly that cannot be helped. It just looked so different than last time. More crowded. :cool:

And also having to walk all the way around because of the guard shack that was charging to get onto the same exact beach we ended up at anyway. Dont get me wrong...we had a GREAT time. We always make sure to enjoy ourselves where ever we end up. But next time, it will be Dead Man's Reef for sure. Just to try something different.

I agree with you in that someone that hasnt been to Freeport, definitely needs to get off and explore. The immediate port really doesnt have much to offer, but go off and check out the beaches and such away from the immediate port.

We did this on the Liberty one year...had a blast. I think our roll call had about 30 people and we kept the bartenders pretty busy. I think they were glad when we left. It was $12.50 pp if I remember correctly. You book it through the Wedding Planner. We also did a cabin crawl on one of our Princess' cruises...enjoyed that, too!

This sounds like so much fun. I would love to be able to see other types of cabins.

I heard on one of the reviews that I read that someone served jello shots at their cabin for the cabin crawl. :eek: Cool!

Nancy, I think that the sand on the beach may have seemed different to you this time because maybe the tide was high and last time is was low tide. That's just my thought, because last week I was in Lucaya and I was also there in November--same area of the beach, too, right by Billy Joe's. Anyway, it was crazy that there seemed like no sandy area to lay my towel down and to just hang out, but then it dawned on me it may have been a tide thing. In November there was plenty of sandy space. Freeport has turned into my more favorite port now than Nassau and a couple of years ago I never thought I'd say that. Don't stay on the ship in this port!

Nancy, I think that the sand on the beach may have seemed different to you this time because maybe the tide was high and last time is was low tide. That's just my thought, because last week I was in Lucaya and I was also there in November--same area of the beach, too, right by Billy Joe's. Anyway, it was crazy that there seemed like no sandy area to lay my towel down and to just hang out, but then it dawned on me it may have been a tide thing. In November there was plenty of sandy space. Freeport has turned into my more favorite port now than Nassau and a couple of years ago I never thought I'd say that. Don't stay on the ship in this port!

I didnt even think about it being tidal. Considering I live on the coast you would think that would be second nature for me. Sheesh! :p

I love Freeport as well and cant wait to explore the other areas I have yet to discover!

I didnt even think about it being tidal. Considering I live on the coast you would think that would be second nature for me. Sheesh! :p

I love Freeport as well and cant wait to explore the other areas I have yet to discover!

Another adventure to do with a rental car is to go eat at Bishop's. It's about 40-50 miles from the port so a bit of a hike but the FOOD - cracked conch and conch fritters to die for - is so good and the beach is deserted. Bishop has a "bonefish" camp with about 10 rooms and a bar on the beach. Ask him if he wants to play dominoes but Don't bet, he is GOOD. You would think you went thru a time warp. Follow the road after Bishops to the end of the island at East End... it is a heck of a trip. We used to do this, stop along the way at a school and donate pencils/paper/etc. Now that was a blast!

Another adventure to do with a rental car is to go eat at Bishop's. It's about 40-50 miles from the port so a bit of a hike but the FOOD - cracked conch and conch fritters to die for - is so good and the beach is deserted. Bishop has a "bonefish" camp with about 10 rooms and a bar on the beach. Ask him if he wants to play dominoes but Don't bet, he is GOOD. You would think you went thru a time warp. Follow the road after Bishops to the end of the island at East End... it is a heck of a trip. We used to do this, stop along the way at a school and donate pencils/paper/etc. Now that was a blast!

Wow. How wonderful to donate to a school in need. That's just very sweet and I would love to do something like that.

I dont know about renting a car though. I am not sure I could get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road and the Andrew is without a license at this point. :rolleyes:

Hi! Enjoyed reading your review and pics! You guys are the type of folks I hope to meet on my next cruise! Hopefully they will be offering more choices out of Chucktown when the new terminal is built.

We all hope so but the "downtown" crowd is trying to keep it from being built AND run Carnival out also. What a shame.

Hi! Enjoyed reading your review and pics! You guys are the type of folks I hope to meet on my next cruise! Hopefully they will be offering more choices out of Chucktown when the new terminal is built.

Thank you! (Love your screen name by the way :p)

I am hoping that they will add another ship as well as a variety of itineraries when the terminal is built. If the "Hysterical" Society would just let things progress and quit their whining! It makes me crazy when they start talking about how "these type of cruisers" wouldnt have an interest in Charleston's history and wouldnt spend money at our restaurants and tours. PFTT! If they would just take a peek at these boards they could see how many people actually stay pre and post cruise. :rolleyes:

Rant over. Sorry about that. :o

I am hoping that they will add another ship as well as a variety of itineraries when the terminal is built. If the "Hysterical" Society would just let things progress and quit their whining! It makes me crazy when they start talking about how "these type of cruisers" wouldnt have an interest in Charleston's history and wouldnt spend money at our restaurants and tours. PFTT! If they would just take a peek at these boards they could see how many people actually stay pre and post cruise. :rolleyes:

The amount of local people that agree with you is amazing, plus the tourist dollars! Even (Heaven's forbid) Mayor Riley is for the terminal.

Thank you! (Love your screen name by the way :p)

LOL Nah it's cool! I agree with everything you said"

Here you go...there arent even any categories:

• 2 pairs of white socks
  • underwears (for how ever many days you need)
  • 2 pairs of black socks
  • bathing suit
  • 2 pairs of shorts
  • Suit and tie
  • 1 pair of khaki pants
  • undershirts (for how ever many days you need)
  • tshirts
  • hawaiian shirts
  • 1 pair of jeans
  • hats
  • dress shoes
  • tennis shoes
  • flip flops
  • toothbrush
  • deoderant

And that is all for the packing lists. I hope it helps!

Nancy, What about the Doc Marten's??????? David:D

That is a pretty good interpretation. Pinkfloydfan says that it is the back of an indian head dress. I guess we just got it from the wrong angle. :o

Nancy, It has been melting for awhile before photo was made but the part that looks like a waterfall is feathers on a head dress. You can make out the Indians jaw about 3" from bottom leftside. His cheek is directly above it. If you squint you can make it out,Ha. The only way I knew what it was, is that I saw it from the front right after it was carved. One thing we can all thank the rich old folks along the waterfront for is the silent debarkation. They didn't like the P.A. noise early in the AM. :D P.S. I was doing cabin crawls by myself before it became popular, thats why i drink only diet cokes now;) David...

The amount of local people that agree with you is amazing, plus the tourist dollars! Even (Heaven's forbid) Mayor Riley is for the terminal.

I loved when Mayor Joe said something to the effect that Charleston was born a port city and will always be a port city.

LOL Nah it's cool! I agree with everything you said"

Sometimes I go off on tangents. :rolleyes::o

Nancy, What about the Doc Marten's??????? David:D

Ah, yes the Doc Martens. However, we didnt have to pack them because he wore them onboard at embarkation. :p

Nancy, It has been melting for awhile before photo was made but the part that looks like a waterfall is feathers on a head dress. You can make out the Indians jaw about 3" from bottom leftside. His cheek is directly above it. If you squint you can make it out,Ha. The only way I knew what it was, is that I saw it from the front right after it was carved. One thing we can all thank the rich old folks along the waterfront for is the silent debarkation. They didn't like the P.A. noise early in the AM. :D P.S. I was doing cabin crawls by myself before it became popular, thats why i drink only diet cokes now;) David...

I can see it now! Squinting helps a great deal.

I really did enjoy the silent debarkation. Although, next time we will be doing it differently. We walked down to the exit about 15 minutes after our "scheduled" time to leave. We should have waited another 30 minutes or so.

Haha on the cabin crawls!

We head over to the check in area which went super fast then off to take our embarkation picture and then up a flight of stairs to have our S&S card pic taken. Next thing you know we are climbing what appears to be a new gangplank system.

CarnivalFantasy2012026.jpg

Last time we boarded and had to take an elevator to lido. This time we boarded at the atrium. Very cool. Keep in mind though that the gangplanks are a bit steep.

CarnivalFantasy2012027.jpg

We are finally on our ship! Woo hoo! Our first order of business was to put cash down on our S&S card. There was a bit of a line but it appeared to move pretty quickly. We put $200.00 down on each of our cards and then it was time to mosey on upstairs to lido deck, which affectionately over time became known as "home base". I also had the guest services rep punch a hole in my S&S card because I intended on wearing my card on a lanyard this time. I brought my own.

By 12:31pm we were enjoying our first drink of the day, The Funship Special.

CarnivalFantasy2012033.jpg

Shortly after that we had the pleasure of meeting pinkfloydfan and his lovely wife.

CarnivalFantasy2012034.jpg

He bought us both a drink and gave the Andrew a Carnival cooler and me a Carnival backpack. Such a great guy and we enjoyed many conversations with him throughout the cruise. And for the very first time I got to see what a milestone card looks like. I cant wait to get my hands on a white S&S card!

At exactly 1:30 we decided to run down to our cabin and lighten our load a bit. We had cabin U239 which is an aft oceanview. It seemed a bit smaller than most cabins we have been in before but for 2 people it was perfect. We werent running over each other too much. Here are some cabin pics.

CarnivalFantasy2012228.jpg

And this time I decorated my door! (just a little)

CarnivalFantasy2012227.jpg

Loving Ur review... Where did you get that paper from the Cruise Critic from? I have also seen Name badage.. Thanks for your help.

Loving Ur review... Where did you get that paper from the Cruise Critic from? I have also seen Name badage.. Thanks for your help.

I am searching now because for the life of me, I cannot remember where I printed that CC poster thingy. I know I posted it from the site. I will keep looking.

I bought my CC tshirt from the "store" so maybe the name badges are there as well.