How can one keep a Meet & Greet to it's original purpose?

GmaPajama

A conditional apology that doubles as an excuse and deflects blame back to the OP can hardly be seen as gracious. Yet, this seems to be the very crux of this thread - what is appropriate behaviour and what isn't? I think that a M&G is very similar to a roll call. Just as no one person "owns" a roll call, no one person owns a M&G. The M&G should meet the needs of the attendees with those attending deciding what is appropriate and what is not. Perhaps asking what attendees would like to experience and gain from the M&G would be a great starting point?

I am a person that feels better using Hal excursions. That said, I don't do that many because I don't enjoy going to museums or churches. I feel that those that do the independent tours seem to think that is the only way to go and if you don't then there is something wrong with it. I think it is very rude to discuss independent tours at a meet and greet with Hal officers within earshot. Surely, this can be done more discretely.

I couldn't agree more. Turning a HAL-sponsored meeting is like going to a dinner party and discussing another party in your hostess' presence. During a recent TA M&G, I pointedly asked one individual organizing a private tour, whether we were not supposed to be doing this a M&G's. Her response was that she found no problem with it. "It is always done" Oh, well, rudeness frequently reflects other flaws.

It doesn't make a difference to me if people feel more comfortable on a ship tour versus a private tour versus just doing a port on your own (my favorite). I realize it's not for everyone. My parents, for example, have contributed a significant amount to HAL's bottom line over the years taking ship excursions.

On the other hand, I have had better experiences doing DIY or private tours as opposed to ship tours. And I've been on some ship tours that were real stinkers. So on the basis of my own experience, I do spend significant amounts of time helping other posters do the same on the Europe/Med boards here. I think it is fair to let people know there are options and to help them not be afraid to try them IF they are interested. If not, fine.

I am enthusiastic about DIY -- to me, it's a challenge and one that gives me a real sense of accomplishment after I have done all the research (which is fun for me) and then successfully figured out how to see and do what I want on my own, using public transport, trains, taxis, buses, or my own two feet. I like to share that enthusiasm with others but I suppose sometimes it gets interpreted incorrectly...

Private tours are a secondary option, but I generally use them not to duplicate the ships' offering but to do something the ship doesn't offer. It can be difficult to fill a private tour, though, when you go off the beaten track. :(

(And by the way, there's absolutely no reason a woman traveling solo can't do things on her own! IF she wants to, of course...)

Lets talk about some logic. So, you are at the nightly "Manager's Reception" at an Embassy Suites and some folks decide to talk about other hotels! Or you are having dinner in a good restaurant and decide to talk about other restaurants (while the manager and waiter are within earshot). I guess some on this thread would want to censor those conversations too.

And we do not understand this concept of "HAL Sponsored." By that logic, everything on the ship is "HAL Sponsored" including meals, entertainment, etc. When you have dinner in the MDR that is as "sponsored" as a Meet and Greet. As to ships staff or Officers attending a Meet and Greet we could care less. When we do go to a Meet and Greet it is to meet and socialize (and talk about any subject we please) with fellow passenger.....not the hired help!

Or lets try this one. Perhaps you are riding into a port on a "HAL Sponsored" tender and the person next to you asks what you are planning for the day. Should you say, "sorry, but since we are on a HAL sponsored tender we are not permitted to discuss our plans." Or on that same tender a person might ask me for directions to the local train station and I guess my response should be "I am not going to tell you since we are on a HAL tender (and an Officer is riding in the next seat).

And to take this logic further we should mention Celebrity. On that cruise line we have a Celebrity Sponsored Elite breakfast everyday (this if for anyone who is Elite, Elite Plus, etc). There are often some ship staff at these daily breakfasts and the cruise line even serves free alcohol, specialty coffee drinks, etc! And what do you think the folks talk about while they are at their tables during the breakfast? Well, it is usually the ports, their day, what they have planned, etc. But according to some folks on this thread that is all improper and the conversation at those daily breakfasts (and the daily free Celebrity sponsored cocktail parties) should be severely censored?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I am enthusiastic about DIY -- to me, it's a challenge and one that gives me a real sense of accomplishment after I have done all the research (which is fun for me) and then successfully figured out how to see and do what I want on my own, using public transport, trains, taxis, buses, or my own two feet. I like to share that enthusiasm with others but I suppose sometimes it gets interpreted incorrectly...

(And by the way, there's absolutely no reason a woman traveling solo can't do things on her own! IF she wants to, of course...)

Wholeheartedly agree, love the feeling of "can do".

As another one who has travelled to many countries solo, I'm a firm believer that if you really want to visit somewhere then don't wait for another person who feels the same way, you may wait forever and it may never happen.

Lets talk about some logic.

<SNIP.>

And we do not understand this concept of "HAL Sponsored." By that logic, everything on the ship is "HAL Sponsored" including meals, entertainment, etc. When you have dinner in the MDR that is as "sponsored" as a Meet and Greet. As to ships staff or Officers attending a Meet and Greet we could care less. When we do go to a Meet and Greet it is to meet and socialize (and talk about any subject we please) with fellow passenger.....not the hired help!

<SNIP>.

Perhaps everyone should take into consideration that HAL does not normally provide rooms & refreshments to groups for free..In the case of a Meet & Mingle (Greet) that is what we are asking HAL to do for our Roll Calls..

IMO Everyone who wants to arrange these free roll call meetings, should read Laurs S. the Community Mgr, of Cruise Critics Guidelines about Meet & Greets.. Laura mentions that HAL does not officially sponsor CC Meet & Greets (RCCL Celebrity & a few others do!) When other carriers officially sponsor them, they are completely different..

This is the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40944676#post40944676

Laura's first paragraph: Quote

How to Oragnize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Holland America

The information below has been compiled from the Holland America Forum, and is based upon individual experiences by members. It should be made VERY clear that there is no official sponsorship of Meet & Mingle Parties on board Holland America ships. We appreciate the generosity of Holland America in setting up these gatherings as they recognize the loyalty of Cruise Critic members. However, it should not be expected that each ship will offer the same amenities, or anything at all. Remember, too, that “paid” groups on board take precedence over non-paid groups, and there are often many groups on board vying for the same space. All of the above said, let’s get started with the party planning! UNnuote

Edited by serendipity1499

Lets talk about some logic.

<SNIP.>

<SNIP>.

Perhaps everyone should take into consideration that HAL does not normally provide rooms & refreshments to groups for free..In the case of a Meet & Mingle (Greet) that is what we are asking HAL to do for our Roll Calls..

IMO Everyone who wants to arrange these free roll call meetings, should read Laurs S. the Community Mgr, of Cruise Critics Guidelines about Meet & Greets.. Laura mentions that HAL does not officially sponsor CC Meet & Greets (RCCL Celebrity & a few others do!) When other carriers officially sponsor them, they are completely different..

This is the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40944676#post40944676

Laura's first paragraph: Quote

How to Oragnize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Holland America

The information below has been compiled from the Holland America Forum, and is based upon individual experiences by members. It should be made VERY clear that there is no official sponsorship of Meet & Mingle Parties on board Holland America ships. We appreciate the generosity of Holland America in setting up these gatherings as they recognize the loyalty of Cruise Critic members. However, it should not be expected that each ship will offer the same amenities, or anything at all. Remember, too, that “paid” groups on board take precedence over non-paid groups, and there are often many groups on board vying for the same space. All of the above said, let’s get started with the party planning! UNnuote

I hesitated to post on this thread again - but let me just say, don't waste your breath or your effort. A tender is not a meet and greet. all the other venues are a whole different kettle of fish. A meet and greet is a room given to us courtesy of HAL. If officers are kind enough to join us, then there is a time and a place for everything. It's just common courtesy - but maybe I don't know manners?

No point IMO. I have had numerous comments on our meet and greets and everyone has had fun. It's pretty simple IMO and you can easily discuss private tours after.

What will be will be. For those that think this is out to lunch - so be it.

I just thought a Meet and Greet was just that - meet your roll call members and greet them. I know there a lot on our next cruise I want to meet.

I hesitated to post on this thread again - but let me just say, don't waste your breath or your effort. A tender is not a meet and greet. all the other venues are a whole different kettle of fish. A meet and greet is a room given to us courtesy of HAL. If officers are kind enough to join us, then there is a time and a place for everything. It's just common courtesy - but maybe I don't know manners?

No point IMO. I have had numerous comments on our meet and greets and everyone has had fun. It's pretty simple IMO and you can easily discuss private tours after.

I just thought a Meet and Greet was just that - meet your roll call members and greet them. I know there a lot on our next cruise I want to meet.

My thoughts exactly.....:)

On our 2012 42 day Maasdam cruise a lady who had organized several tours

received a letter from either the Capt. or Hotel Mgr. (don't remember which)

which advised that she would either cease her private tour activity or she would

be required to disembark the ship.

She was having her tour (many of which we enjoyed) groups meet in the same venue

at each port and would do roll calls, collect money, discuss tour procedure, etc.

Apparently some of the ship staff reported this activity resulting in the letter.

The letter referred to (using old guy (me) memory here, and we all know how reliable that is) "selling tours in competition" "commercial activity" violations of contract etc

I do not know how this all turned out for the lady as we did not have any further tours booked with her.

which advised that she would either cease her private tour activity or she would

She was having her tour (many of which we enjoyed) groups meet in the same venue

at each port and would do roll calls, collect money, discuss tour procedure, etc.

Apparently some of the ship staff reported this activity resulting in the letter.

The letter referred to (using old guy (me) memory here, and we all know how reliable that is) "selling tours in competition" "commercial activity" violations of contract etc

I do not know how this all turned out for the lady as we did not have any further tours booked with her.

Wow, how interesting, never heard of that happening.

Perhaps the mistake was in openly collecting money. On the private tours we did in the Baltic, we met in the Ocean Bar each day. Nothing wrong with a group meeting up. We were each responsible for paying our share to the tour operator either during or after the tour. The tour details and payment methods were all noted on the roll call prior to the cruise as well as being noted on a downloadable spread sheet. Everyone knew what was expected of them before embarking the ship.

It is becoming clear that there are two trains of thought here.

One states that a Meet and Greet is for posters to put a name to the face, talk about whatever they like, make plans, etc.

Another viewpoint is that it is for posters (passengers) to Meet and Greet some of the onboard officers in a venue and time that HAL specifically sets aside in addition to pre-planned activities at the request of Cruise Critic member or members; and that some people consider it rude, gauche, or otherwise uncouth to discuss the arranging of tours (for which HAL competes for revenue) or using the officers or managers act of being gracious as an opportunity to fire away with complaints.

I see the viewpoint of both sides.

So here I propose a solution - How to keep and Meet and Greet to its original purpose; which would seem ostensibly to be to meet other posters from the forum, have open discussions, finalize plans, etc., - DO NOT ASK THE CRUISE LINE TO HOST AN EVENT. It really is that simple. Whoever is organizing a roll call can say "We are all going to meet at 10:30AM, Day X, in Bar/Lounge/Place Y."

If people feel strongly enough that meeting with ship staff needs to be censored, then do not request their presence or resources. Why ask them to be there if it creates a situation that could be awkward?

As far as officers / managers on board the ship; there are various opportunities to meet with them if one wants, notes could be sent through guest relations, and their names and pictures are printed for anyone to "know" who it is and reach out to.

Just pick a spot to go to bereft of HAL involvement and everyone can meet each other and carry on whatever conversation evolves naturally without worrying about ticking off or offending the host. Just how like on roll calls people arrange for a sailaway spot to meet up; that doesn't involve someone calling HAL to ask them for special invitations or accommodation.

Yes you do know manners![/SIZE]

Exactly!

Wow...Have never heard of that & don't blame HAL at all! In the Community Mgrs. (Laura) post she specifically mentions that the organizer of private tours should never collect the $$$... However, sometimes if can't be helped but it should be done on the QT & not flaunted in HAL's face..

Edited by serendipity1499

I'll second that remark. Some of us have made what we consider to be life-long friends at those Meet & Greets. Beginning with a Cruise Critic roll call, and culminating with HAL's Meet & Greet - true friendships have been forged. It would be too, too sad to see those opportunities become limited.

Absolutely true!!!!

that is correct. I think the way this lady went about it was wrong.

Here's why you don't need to talk about it there or at the meet and greets:

a good organizer has everything explained to the participants well in advance. All that should be done at the meeting place is to gather together, make sure you are all there and get off. HAL knew I did private tours and arranged for the first tender after the shore excursions for my rather large group.

BUT I didn't flaunt it. We just met and got off. Our ducks were in order long before we got on the ship. Of course, if anyone has any questions they can ask any organizer after the meet and greet is over or contact them in their cabin.

there is a way to do things and a way NOT to do things. which brings me back to my point about not flaunting it in their faces at the meet and greet. why advertise that you are doing private tours? ;)

besides, I'd rather spend the time meeting my roll call in person at long last:D

One states that a Meet and Greet is for posters to put a name to the face, talk about whatever they like, make plans, etc.

Another viewpoint is that it is for posters (passengers) to Meet and Greet some of the onboard officers in a venue and time that HAL specifically sets aside in addition to pre-planned activities at the request of Cruise Critic member or members; and that some people consider it rude, gauche, or otherwise uncouth to discuss the arranging of tours (for which HAL competes for revenue) or using the officers or managers act of being gracious as an opportunity to fire away with complaints.

So here I propose a solution - How to keep and Meet and Greet to its original purpose; which would seem ostensibly to be to meet other posters from the forum, have open discussions, finalize plans, etc., - DO NOT ASK THE CRUISE LINE TO HOST AN EVENT. It really is that simple. Whoever is organizing a roll call can say "We are all going to meet at 10:30AM, Day X, in Bar/Lounge/Place Y."

If people feel strongly enough that meeting with ship staff needs to be censored, then do not request their presence or resources. Why ask them to be there if it creates a situation that could be awkward?

As far as officers / managers on board the ship; there are various opportunities to meet with them if one wants, notes could be sent through guest relations, and their names and pictures are printed for anyone to "know" who it is and reach out to.

Just pick a spot to go to bereft of HAL involvement and everyone can meet each other and carry on whatever conversation evolves naturally without worrying about ticking off or offending the host. Just how like on roll calls people arrange for a sailaway spot to meet up; that doesn't involve someone calling HAL to ask them for special invitations or accommodation.

The problem with this approach is that you would not have an area reserved for you and kept clear of non participants. You can't very well go into a lounge or the captain's corner of the Crow's Nest and ask people to leave because you want to have a private meeting. If you organise through HAL you are guaranteed a private gathering.

The problem with this approach is that you would not have an area reserved for you and kept clear of non participants. You can't very well go into a lounge or the captain's corner of the Crow's Nest and ask people to leave because you want to have a private meeting. If you organise through HAL you are guaranteed a private gathering.

Point well made, but honestly, is the guarantee of a private venue needed? There are many areas not in full use at all times. Making arrangements to meet at a bar or a section of the pool deck should not be a big deal. In fact seeing this group of fast friends may encourage others to join in or find their way to cruise critic.

Basically my point is you can't really control what topics people will want to discuss. If a major point on consternation revolves around upsetting HAL staff Occams Razor states don't ask HAL to host.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Point well made, but honestly, is the guarantee of a private venue needed? There are many areas not in full use at all times. Making arrangements to meet at a bar or a section of the pool deck should not be a big deal. In fact seeing this group of fast friends may encourage others to join in or find their way to cruise critic.

Basically my point is you can't really control what topics people will want to discuss. If a major point on consternation revolves around upsetting HAL staff Occams Razor states don't ask HAL to host.

I suppose if you had a small group you could improvise and there would be no problem but a large group might present a logistical issue.

I suppose if you had a small group you could improvise and there would be no problem but a large group might present a logistical issue.

You are right sapper1. The crow's nest on the Prinsendam has been closed for our meet and greets. when you have 90 people, they tend to do that :p

It would be pretty hard to find another venue on that ship other than going to the Lido.

Our roll call isn't as big this year but the Black Sea segment is very close!

Good post. I often hear people grumble

"We Had A Meet & Greet And Not A Single Ships Officer Showed Up"

Why should they show up, they'd rather clean the bilges