Getting sick on the ship

FrankNJ

A few years ago, I think half the ship was coughing or sneezing. Upon returning, DH picked up bronchitis, and I ended up with an ear infection.

Lately, we have been fortunate enough not to contract anything.

We did the same thing this time to and from FFL. The tray, the armrests, etc. Can't be too careful!

I always wipe armrests and tray tables with lysol wipes. DH rolls his eyes a bit but it makes me happy to know I at least tried to keep us healthy while traveling. :o

I won't wash my hands in an airplane restroom. I'm very suspicious about the safety of the water that comes out of the tap. I use handwipes and sanitizer from our own supply.

A couple asked about immune boosting herbals but I do not feel comfortable with offering any suggestions because many herbals can react to medications some people may be taking. It would be irresponsible on my part. As I am on no medications I can confidently take several herbals and have only positive results.

But more importantly, maintaining a healthy diet. Did you know that 70% of our immune system is in our gut? Something simple as daily consumption of either kefir or yogurt (with live cultures) is a great start. It's hard for many of us to get enough rest but it is during sleep that our cells do their repair work.

Keep well--stay healthy--enjoy our cruising

Edited by iceleven

Could this just be a revenue stream for cruise ships? Have you seen the prices they charge for medicines in their onboard shops? The only person who might be happy when there is a cold outbreak on a ship is someone at the cruise line's headquarters in accounting.

Could this just be a revenue stream for cruise ships? Have you seen the prices they charge for medicines in their onboard shops? The only person who might be happy when there is a cold outbreak on a ship is someone at the cruise line's headquarters in accounting.

As standard practice, we bring a few meds with us in case. Takes little room and if more are needed we take advantage of the ports. Aside from the price, if there is any kind of outbreak (talking colds, not NORO), the shops will have nothing left

and their response and service was excellent and though it was expensive, I submitted the charge to Medicare, suppliment carrier and when I get their response, I then submit the unpaid charge to my cruise insurance carrier. Medicare has a special form for reimbursement while on a cruise.

I strongly believe in beefing up your immune system two-three weeks before travel, whether it is by plane or ship. Get more sleep, and increase your vitamins and nutrition. I won't mention anything specific but there also are a few herbals I swear by that increase the immune system, as well.

^quoted for truth.

Even amping up the levels of vitamins as the first signs of an illness is starting dramatically cuts down on the time I have one. Also attacking what'll be the main sympton before it blossoms curtails the secondary problems.

For this entire past month work has been populated by rejects from the communicable diseases ward; just a cacophony of sneezes, sniffles, & coughing fits that last my 8 hours there. Twice I got the start of what was hitting the folks in the office, but judicious use of my dietary supps stopped those bugs in the tracks. I've long been a believer of ramping up our chemistry to throw off the cycle of the bug as they're able to live only within certain levels. That and I went after the main symptoms. I was under the weather for a total of 3 days last month.

YMMV. You know yourself and what you can handle, nothing I listed here is professional advice or issued as statement of medical facat.

Derek

In all our travels...land, sea, & air, we have never gotten sick. I pray writing these words don't change our luck! We do take precautions. Like washing hands frequently, using hand sanitizer, etc. I carry a couple of face masks on the plane in case someone is sick in our vicinity. But, so far, have not had to use them. If people are sneezing, coughing, etc. we move as far away as possible. I feel so sorry for those who look forward to a trip, and then feel bad while on it. I know, it's just a matter of time.

I've read articles about people who always take the spread off in the hotel room. Some even call the housekeeper to do it. The problem these days is there is no spread. So if you take the next layer off, you freeze. I just try to kep the sheet over the part of the quilt near my face.

That tray table on the airplane is loaded with more germs than you can imagine.

We travel with alcohol wipes and use them repeatedly in the airport and on the plane and after leaving the plane, etc. It has been the coughers on the plane that caused problems for us.

Depends on your immune system and the opportunities for germ issues.

I have a coworker who swears by disinfectant wipes for the airplane. She wipes everything before sitting down -- arm rest, tray table, anything wipe-able. She said they "never" get sick from planes anymore.

It's anecdotal evidence, but I'm willing to try it for our next airplane trip. Disinfectant wipes, a small bottle of hand sanitizer, etc.

• 4 years later...

On our last 21 cruise I ended up with severe bronchitis 2 days before the end of the cruise. I was stupid and didn't go to the dr., but I also spent those days in my cabin. I got it because there were many people on the ship who didn't attempt to cover their mouths or noses when they coughed or sneezed. I was "sprayed" several times and knew what was coming. Down to the Dr. next time.

Seems every thread about colds/coughing/sneezing always includes some mention/advice to take antibiotics .....keep in mind that colds and flu are caused by a virus and antibiotics do NOT kill a virus...only bacterial infections.

Antibiotics have been so overused around the world for illnesses that they do not and cannot cure that many bacteria have developed resistance to them to the point when you really do need them they are no longer effective.

I'm no doctor but the overuse of antibiotics is well documented for those who take the time to read the reports.

So before u whip out the pill bottle it's a good idea to make sure you don't just have a cold or the flu and use something that may cause more harm than good.

Edited by dockman

Travel of any kind is a risk. My husband contracted C-Dif on a flight to India and we stayed in a large hotel in Nashville that had just had a huge outbreak of noro virus. Any time people gather, sickness happens.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Wife and I have been battling an upper-respiratory infection for about 10 days. We've both been on antibiotics and we're about over it. I'm almost certain we got it from reading Cruise Critic.
I almost ended up with coffee all over my keyboard with this post. Thank you for a good laugh.

Seems every thread about colds/coughing/sneezing always includes some mention/advice to take antibiotics .....keep in mind that colds and flu are caused by a virus and antibiotics do NOT kill a virus...only bacterial infections.

Antibiotics have been so overused around the world for illnesses that they do not and cannot cure that many bacteria have developed resistance to them to the point when you really do need them they are no longer effective.

I'm no doctor but the overuse of antibiotics is well documented for those who take the time to read the reports.

So before u whip out the pill bottle it's a good idea to make sure you don't just have a cold or the flu and use something that may cause more harm than good.

As a retired health care professional, I appreciate that you're bringing this to everyone's attention. I also get frustrated when I hear about people taking antibiotics for cold or flu....completely useless. The problem is also with doctors who give patient's a prescription because they feel pressured "to do something". I have not taken an antibiotic in many years and would only do so if I was assured that I had a bacterial infection.

As a retired health care professional, I appreciate that you're bringing this to everyone's attention. I also get frustrated when I hear about people taking antibiotics for cold or flu....completely useless. The problem is also with doctors who give patient's a prescription because they feel pressured "to do something". I have not taken an antibiotic in many years and would only do so if I was assured that I had a bacterial infection.

Even though this is a really old thread, it brings up good points.

Viruses are everywhere because people are everywhere. It's ludicrous to believe that you can fully protect yourself from getting sick by sailing on a new ship, taking land vacations at hotels, or attending land-based entertainment venues, etc. If you go to the grocery store, to church, to Walmart, to the theater, you are being exposed to viruses all of the time.

Sure, frequent hand washing, anti-viral/bacterial sanitizers, covering your mouth when you sneeze, pushing elevator buttons with your knuckle/elbow, can help greatly. Prophylactic antibiotics will NOT.

As Lady Awren said, antibiotics are for bacterial infections--like a bacterial pneumonia that may come AFTER the bad viral cold. They should be taken only after a formal diagnosis, because taking them when they're not necessary can cause a person to become unresponsive to classes of antibiotics that they may really need in the future.

When we cruise, we use the hand sanitizer and if we feel a cold coming on, we take zinc and vitamin C tablets. The zinc can interfere with the replication of the virus, shortening the cold and lessening the symptoms. The vitamin C is just a health boost. No magic bullets, but I swear by it.

Does anyone have experience with the personal ionizers you can wear on long flights for prevention of infections?

They are not ionizers, but we take nasal inhalers infused with essential oil and breathe them during air travel. This next sailing I plan on taking an essential oil diffuser and diffuse oils while we are in the cabin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The real key to preventing upper respiratory infections is to not put your contaminated finger tips into your eyes, nose or mouth. When studying people getting sick on planes they found it was far more the tray table in front of you that was the contamination source, rather than the passenger coughing a few rows away.

Many do not realize how unconsciously they do this throughout the day, and even after they just washed them. It is really the tips of the fingers that need the most attention; both cleaning them and watching where they go afterwards.

Noro as an intestinal virus is entirely different animal -it needs digestive tract entry. So wash your hands (finger tips), wash your hands, wash your hands helps best here too.

The real key to preventing upper respiratory infections is to not put your contaminated finger tips into your eyes, nose or mouth. When studying people getting sick on planes they found it was far more the tray table in front of you that was the contamination source, rather than the passenger coughing a few rows away.

Many do not realize how unconsciously they do this throughout the day, and even after they just washed them. It is really the tips of the fingers that need the most attention; both cleaning them and watching where they go afterwards.

Noro as an intestinal virus is entirely different animal -it needs digestive tract entry. So wash your hands (finger tips), wash your hands, wash your hands helps best here too.

I am fussy about that as well and bring Clorox wipes with us to wipe down the arm rests and trays. Also hotel rooms and will most likely wipe down the ship cabin when I unpack. I am a retired nurse(operating room, no less),so am pretty about germs and touching the face. I think HAL has been pretty good recently about keeping Noro away. Not letting people serve themselves in the Lido helps

I am fussy about that as well and bring Clorox wipes with us to wipe down the arm rests and trays. Also hotel rooms and will most likely wipe down the ship cabin when I unpack. I am a retired nurse(operating room, no less),so am pretty about germs and touching the face. I think HAL has been pretty good recently about keeping Noro away. Not letting people serve themselves in the Lido helps

Good, as a nurse you know the difference between just "wiping down" (mechanical removal) and the time requirement it takes for an appropriate solution to disinfect, let alone sterilize a surface.

I think HAL has put a lot more emphasis on "wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands" - we got it on one cruise during the daily announcements in both Spanish and English as we were going around South America.

Plus they are also very good about making sure you have tissues available and a place to dispose them when exiting the public restrooms so you don't have to touch the door handle. The weak link for me is pulling in the chair when sitting at the Lido. But then I rarely use my fingers to eat anyway - assume the forks and spoons that go in my mouth are still clean, even if my fingers are not.

Nice to have the MDR stewards do this task for us when we dine there -- (most of the time). Breaks one chain of possible contamination with that little courtesy. And there is that old rolls and butter issue - fingers and mouth -- but at least this is not a respiratory transmission route -only the noro route which is probably a lot rarer at that point in the contamination chain.

It is interesting how this now becomes a habit no matter where I go - a knuckle to elevator buttons, a wrist steadied along a hand rail, and the restroom door tissues or a good push on the door with an elbow. We have not had a code red on any of our recent HAL cruises either. (Fingers crossed)

Edited by OlsSalt