Do NOT purchase Princess Transfers

Sitmar Lady

We purchased Princess Transfers at a cost of $48 each. I just found out that we will have to wait at the airport for over 2 1/2 hours for them to shuttle us to the ship and on the return transfer, they said our flight was too early so they couldnt accomodate us. (FYI - the flight no where near too early).

The transfers are NON-REFUNDABLE so now we are left with a very long wait for a ride to the ship and even worse having to pay for a cab on the transfer out.

Princess Cruises did not notify us that our flight home was "too early" and the only way I found this out is because I called them to find out where to print the transfers. They said they sent us an e-mail notifying us. I can assure you, they did not do this. I read every Princess e-mail.

I requested to be reinbursed via on board credit and was refused. Conveniently, Princess Cruises was unable to allow me to give my survey at the end of this disturbing phone conversation.

I cancelled my transfers with no problem. When did the change occur?

We booked both transfers and two nights in Vancouver. We will be booking independent air. Here is what Princess says in my personalizor about the transfer:

Customs regulations prohibit our staff from assisting you until the customs process is complete. As you depart the customs hall, the representatives, dressed in navy, will direct you to the motorcoach for your transfer. The transfer from the airport to the hotel is only applicable prior to your Princess booked hotel stay. If you booked additional nights on your own, the transfer does not apply and is nonrefundable. Check-in time is 4:00 p.m. Should you arrive prior to this time, every effort will be made to accommodate you.

I also would never purchase one
Never say never because there are ports where it makes sense. If the airport or city is a couple of hours from the port, there's little or no public transportation, you don't speak the language, etc., you'll be thrilled to see the Princess rep. :)

All the Princess reps we encountered were very friendly and helpful. We use the transfers and have never had a problem. In fact, once we left luggage at the port and once our luggage was lost. The reps that helped us were most gracious and we were glad that we had someone to help us at those times.

In Auckland you can pay princess $50US to get to the airport or you can take the normal tourist airport bus that departs every 15 mins from 100 meters away from when the ships dock for about $10US. The taxi fare is about $50US too in a best-available grade of cab.

I buy the transfers anytime it's practical. Just the fact that they handle your luggage for you takes care of extra expense as far as I'm concerned. I've never had problems cancelling transfers - and as noted above, all you have to do is take the ticket they give you on board the the shore excursion desk and they will credit your account.

That was not our experience on the Star last year. It was a 2-day Coastal from San Francisco to Vancouver. On the day at sea, the Captain makes an announcement that we are going to be late and that anyone with flights before 4 pm should rebook them (he said that the Internet and Ship's phone charges would be waived). Since we had a 3:45 flight, we decided to chance it.

We had only carry-on bags but they would not let us off with the Walkoff groups because we had Princess Transfers. I asked to cancel the Princess Transfers then, they said because we did NOT buy them onboard, we cannot cancel them (we bought them at time of booking). So we were stuck in the Catch-22 situation. I knew that it would take at least 20 minutes to load a Princess bus with pax and their luggage, and another 40 minutes to the airport. The Canadians at our dinner table said the fastest way to the airport was to take the Canada Line from Canada Place to YVR (26 minutes and $3.75 CAD pp). That was the best advice ever, so we were part of the Amazing Race, but we made our flight.

When we got home, we wrote to Princess expecting a royal runaround. But to our surprise, they called us the next day and refunded our Princess Transfers (I think they were $30 pp), but they said they were doing it only because we were Platinum (that's not good customer service to the others).

We used Princess transfers for our Alaska cruise RT Seattle and absolutely loved it both ways. We flew in for a two night stay before we sailed and was transported to the hotel (booked with Princess) with no problems...what we really loved was the luggage pick up from our room at 8 a.m. and cruise check-in in the hotel lobby...we didn't see or handle our luggage again until it was delivered to our cabin...we also boarded with all the elites, platinum and suites ahead of all the long lines...sweet. :)

Then at the end of our cruise we did Princess transfer again with flight check-in on board...loved that as well. We were shuttled to the airport and had a private Princess/Holland America TSA screening and then shuttled to the main terminal behind that TSA screening and long lines...we didn't see or touch our luggage (after boarding the shuttle) again until we picked it up at the carrousel in our home airport...what a way to fly. :)

We will definitely use Princess transfers again when possible.

Sorry that the OP had a bad experience when they cancelled their transport...did you call back to speak with a different rep? Sometimes that helps.

I just cancelled transfers from Anchorage to Whittier without fee, but it's before final payment. We're taking the train instead; we need to be in Whittier at a certain time for a pre-cruise excursion (also booked separately). And we prefer trains to motorcoaches anyway.

But we are taking the Princess transfers from Vancouver to Seattle - much less hassle than trying to book it ourselves. Don't have to get from the ship to the train station with luggage, worry about schedule, etc. And our flights out of Seattle are late enough that I don't think it'll be a problem.

We had only carry-on bags but they would not let us off with the Walkoff groups because we had Princess Transfers. I asked to cancel the Princess Transfers then, they said because we did NOT buy them onboard, we cannot cancel them (we bought them at time of booking).

I must live in a parallel universe or something. Every time I've purchased Princess transfers I've received a ticket that looks exactly like any shore excursion tickets I've purchased in the same envelope with them. If I've decided not to use the transfers - which I have - I've taken them to the Shore Excursion desk and they've been happily refunded. I'm not sure why this only works for me...?

We used Princess transfers for our Alaska cruise RT Seattle and absolutely loved it both ways. We flew in for a two night stay before we sailed and was transported to the hotel (booked with Princess) with no problems...what we really loved was the luggage pick up from our room at 8 a.m. and cruise check-in in the hotel lobby...we didn't see or handle our luggage again until it was delivered to our cabin...we also boarded with all the elites, platinum and suites ahead of all the long lines...sweet. :)

Then at the end of our cruise we did Princess transfer again with flight check-in on board...loved that as well. We were shuttled to the airport and had a private Princess/Holland America TSA screening and then shuttled to the main terminal behind that TSA screening and long lines...we didn't see or touch our luggage (after boarding the shuttle) again until we picked it up at the carrousel in our home airport...what a way to fly. :)

We will definitely use Princess transfers again when possible.

Sorry that the OP had a bad experience when they cancelled their transport...did you call back to speak with a different rep? Sometimes that helps.

Delighted to hear you had a good precruise experience in Seattle. I reserved it for next month's Star sailing when I discovered that the transfer and hotel (Westin) cost exactly the same as Westin's asking price. About what time did you leave for the pier?

Still undecided about postcruise transfer. I like the included flight check-in, but my flight's not till 1:50PM. It might be best to linger on board as late as possible.

Edited by Stevesan

But we chose to buy the Princess transfer for our upcoming British Isles cruise. Sure, we get in at 8am and will probably have to wait till 9:30am for the first bus out. But whoa nelly I do not trust myself to drive on the left hand side all the way down to Southampton. And the private car fares were more expensive than the cruise line transfers. And taking the Tube and rail was an option but not thrilling with luggage.

QUOTE]

A simple transfer to Southampton is available by train or National Express bus- which is easy to pick up sales for about $10US pp. I have used them several times,to Southampton and Dover and was always signfiantly cheaper than cruiseline transfers.

Transfer are handle by outside contracts that is why they are so expensive.They cruise ship has to make their money the bus, the drive, the guide and the Bus Company. You figure it out. That makes the cost so high.

I only buy the transfers when the port is further that the cost of a taxi. Most of the time we are either 2 or 3 people travelling.

Any cruise leaving from Porte Rico, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa or cities where the airport is close to the Port, we take a taxi, The above cities are ones that can just cost about 10 to 12 dollars per 2 passenger. That includes tips for the luggage. So transfer would not be warranted.

Twice, I believe we took a flight to Miami and then took the transfer to Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale.

Our September cruise from Whittier we are taking the transfer from Anchorage to the port. We are seniors and it would be too much for try and get a taxi or shuttle. On our return to Vancouver we will be taking a taxi from the Port to Airport.

I have contacted the City of Vancouver for this information. They advised me that the traffic during noon hour is usually heavy and to expect it to take 30 to 45 minutes to the Airport. We may ask for a flat fee or take a shuttle that is usually a flat fee.

Some of our Mediterranean Cruises we also took the ship transfer because we were not familiar with the country.

I find that the transfer are expensive for the short haul. But, they may be worth it for the longer distances. It is easy, luggage taken care of and no worries.

I must live in a parallel universe or something. Every time I've purchased Princess transfers I've received a ticket that looks exactly like any shore excursion tickets I've purchased in the same envelope with them. If I've decided not to use the transfers - which I have - I've taken them to the Shore Excursion desk and they've been happily refunded. I'm not sure why this only works for me...?

You are correct, when in fact you have a transfer ticket that is the same as a shorex. However, those that prepay I believe don't get one like that. I'll let you know. We prepaid for YVR transfer to SEA in May, so I will find out what I get. Or not yet. In any event, I was happy to pay for that transfer because I need someone to get us out of one country and into another. :)

I can assure you that we tried but they said no. Perhaps it was because the ship was going to arrive late and there was a Lot of commotion on board with people re-booking flights, trying to change their disembarkation groups, etc. We did fax copies of them to Princess when we returned and they sent a credit to our Credit Card. They did NOT tell us that they should have given us a credit onbard. Also possible that there were no shorex since it was a 2 night Coastal?

Still undecided about postcruise transfer. I like the included flight check-in, but my flight's not till 1:50PM. It might be best to linger on board as late as possible.
If you're still undecided, don't get the transfer until you're onboard. :)

I got a free transfer on my last cruise and was one of the first people to head over to the ship using the transfer, and got there way later than I usually do. Then, I did not get my luggage until midnight! If you get on a transfer early your luggage is loaded on the back of the truck & first luggage on the truck is the last off. My luggage was not even delivered to my stateroom. I had to go down to the bottom of the ship to claim it!

• 1 month later...

So.. would a Princess transfer be advised if arriving to Seattle near 11:00 PM and staying at a hotel near the airport?

Cruise leaves from Vancouver.

Would getting there by 8 be early enough?

Also would a Princess rep be at the airport for our late arrival of 11:00 pm?

So.. would a Princess transfer be advised if arriving to Seattle near 11:00 PM and staying at a hotel near the airport?

If you're staying at a Princess hotel, the Princess rep will be there. Otherwise, if you buy transfers, it will only be on the day of the cruise. Your personalizer will give you instructions. Would getting where by 8 be early enough? Don't understand your question. Do you mean 8 AM at the airport? Again, personalizer will tell you, or if not, ask for explicit instructions from Princess or your TA.

From Seattle to the port at Vancouver, a Princess xfer would be the easiest for you.

Have your travel agent (or Princess if you booked directly) add that to your booking and find out what time you should be at the Seattle airport in the morning.

Unless you have booked the hotel through Princess, I would not expect a Princess rep at the airport when you get there at 11 PM.

Edited by caribill

Since I read in this thread that someone had arrived at the airport at 9 and people had been there already since 7 or 8 I was asking if 8 is early enough to get to the Princess bus transfer.

I just booked today and this is only my 2nd cruise and the first was a Carnival cruise from Tampa..for which I didn't need a transfer.

Princess hotels? where do I find a list for those? and Personalizer? I think I signed up via email but nothing yet since I just booked this afternoon.

If you're staying at a Princess hotel, the Princess rep will be there. Otherwise, if you buy transfers, it will only be on the day of the cruise. Your personalizer will give you instructions. Would getting where by 8 be early enough? Don't understand your question. Do you mean 8 AM at the airport? Again, personalizer will tell you, or if not, ask for explicit instructions from Princess or your TA.

Since I read in this thread that someone had arrived at the airport at 9 and people had been there already since 7 or 8 I was asking if 8 is early enough to get to the Princess bus transfer.

I just booked today and this is only my 2nd cruise and the first was a Carnival cruise from Tampa..for which I didn't need a transfer.

Princess hotels? where do I find a list for those? and Personalizer? I think I signed up via email but nothing yet since I just booked this afternoon.

Princess Hotel: costs more, but then you're assured of someone directing you properly and transferring you the next day. Do you have a TA? You really sound as if you need some guidance.

Princess Hotel: costs more, but then you're assured of someone directing you properly and transferring you the next day. Do you have a TA? You really sound as if you need some guidance.

No worries..;). thanks for your concern. I am reading up on the ins ands out for going to the Vancouver port.. no TA.. I usually book things myself.

I plan on getting a hotel via hotwire... and booking tours independently.

I'll be calling Princess tomorrow .. the transfers must have been listed with all the cruise tours which I bypassed when I booked this afternoon online with a cruise outlet.

Just getting used to all this again ( cruising )... my last trip to Costa Rica I booked everything myself and it went without a mishap.. tours, transportation, hotels ( 5 of them) flights, private transportation too.