Do NOT purchase Princess Transfers

Sitmar Lady

We used the Princess transfers just 2 weeks ago from Seattle to Vancouver and back to Seatac and loved it no issues at all. Also, you can cancel if its within a certain time frame of your cruise. I know because I almost did so and called Princess to find out if I could. For example our Cruise left on May 14 I think it was and I was told i had until around the first of May (can't recall exact date) to cancel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Princess hotels? where do I find a list for those? and Personalizer? I think I signed up via email but nothing yet since I just booked this afternoon.

Princess may or may not offer a hotel package in Seattle. Your TA (or Princess can tell you). As someone else posted, it will be more expensive than what you can book on your own, even at the same hotel. When you hear the Princess price, it will probably be per person.

The Personalizer is on the Princess web site and where you need to go to to fill out passport and immigration information as well as to print out luggage tags and boarding passes.

It is also where you can book Princess shore excursions (you do not pay for them until the end of the cruise). If you are using Princess for shore excursions, it is best to do so in advance as the popular ones may be full if you wait to book them on the ship.

The Personalizer will also list your itinerary, cabin number, dining preference, and other items specific to you and the cruise.

To go to the Personalizer, go to Princess.com and click on "Visit Cruise Personalizer" about halfway down the page in the middle.

Princess may or may not offer a hotel package in Seattle. Your TA (or Princess can tell you). As someone else posted, it will be more expensive than what you can book on your own, even at the same hotel. When you hear the Princess price, it will probably be per person.

The Personalizer is on the Princess web site and where you need to go to to fill out passport and immigration information as well as to print out luggage tags and boarding passes.

It is also where you can book Princess shore excursions (you do not pay for them until the end of the cruise). If you are using Princess for shore excursions, it is best to do so in advance as the popular ones may be full if you wait to book them on the ship.

The Personalizer will also list your itinerary, cabin number, dining preference, and other items specific to you and the cruise.

To go to the Personalizer, go to Princess.com and click on "Visit Cruise Personalizer" about halfway down the page in the middle.

Thanks.. I found it a couple of hours ago... most likely will book the hotel via hotwire.

Edited by ISLABONITA

I have used Princess transfers number of times for both transfer from the airport to the hotel (booked thru Princess) in the port city and for transfer to the airport at the end of a cruise, and was always satisfied with the convenience.

Last year I flew into FLL a day ahead of the cruise, found my luggage and then found the "Princess Lady", who was expecting me. As I was the only one arriving at that time, and no one else was due to arrive for another hour, she took me to a waiting transfer bus to the hotel I had booked thru Princess, and was immediately taken to my hotel. I was the only passenger in the whole bus!!! I thought that was pretty spectacular service.

This string has 40 posts with positive feedback about Princess Transfers. Some use them all the time and some only when appropriate.

There are 5 posts with negative. (would NEVER use them)

My conclusion, not always the best answer or price, but at times the best alternative. (least hassle for the money)

Your results may vary.

Edited by Matcodixon

Never say never because there are ports where it makes sense. If the airport or city is a couple of hours from the port, there's little or no public transportation, you don't speak the language, etc., you'll be thrilled to see the Princess rep. :)

I agree! We flew into Santiago and the cruise left out of Valparaiso. We were very happy to see a Rep for that cruise and had no idea it would take that long to get from the airport to the cruise ship. After that cruise I pay more attention to where I'm flying and where the cruise ship is leaving from. Our TA didn't warn us on how far the airport was from the cruise ship terminal.

But I will say if we know the area, like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, we do not book transfers.

I agree! We flew into Santiago and the cruise left out of Valparaiso. We were very happy to see a Rep for that cruise and had no idea it would take that long to get from the airport to the cruise ship. After that cruise I pay more attention to where I'm flying and where the cruise ship is leaving from. Our TA didn't warn us on how far the airport was from the cruise ship terminal.

But I will say if we know the area, like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, we do not book transfers.

After flying for 5 hours across 3 time zones , it's nice to see the Princess Rep and the arrangements to the hotel and the ship next day. Sort of "Time Shelled " from traveling.

We generally don't buy ship transfers but I would recommend them to first time cruisers in an unfamiliar location (other than Ft Lauderdale and some other close airports) or if the flight time is tight to get to the ship. We've taken cabs, Super Shuttles and privately arranged cars plus a couple of ship transfers overseas. Private transfers are generally cheaper. We were pleased with the Princess and Holland America transfers but we had to claim our own luggage and take it to the bus. Didn't mind doing that to make sure our luggage was with us.

Sorry it did not work for you.

For my experience, I would say it depends. In FLL I find it really easy to get to hotel and port so I don't do it with Princess. But a few years ago, in Copenhagen, after flight and connections delays ( coming from America ),we got there at rush hour ! We were met at the airport by the Princess Angels ( I started calling them that on that trip). They met us even before we got to our luggage and got us to the ship on time ( on time as ...we sailed not long after we embarked!). After beeing awake for more than 24 hrs and the stress of the delays, they made the Escape completly experience star right there !!! Soooooooooo worth the transfer.

In SF, I was really really glad we were on the Princess bus as we got to , what I call the ZOO-pier ! Glad they handled the luggage and got us through the crowd ! Did not like the hotel at all!!! NOT ! The Fairmount across the street was 1000% better. From hotel to airport, after the cruise... not so good experience... bur maybe just the concierge getting us a bad taxi...

So, except for Fort Lauderdale, I will not hesitate to go for Princess transfers,... in SF may get to the bus from another hotel...if possible.

Whether to use a cruiseline transfer or not, depends on how independent you are and if you like waiting for others. We don't like waiting and we are very independent, so we would rather hire a car service or hail a taxi. We have never used a Princess transfer. The added costs for a private transfer is not that much more for a very confortable way to travel. With air travel travel being so unpleasant these day, we welcome the confort of a private service.

We are cruising the Panama Canal on Island Princess 22nd March Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale and would like to know some recommendations where to stay the night before we sail. - I thought somewhere near the pier would be great. Any suggestions????????????? Thanks Judy:):)

We are cruising the Panama Canal on Island Princess 22nd March Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale and would like to know some recommendations where to stay the night before we sail. - I thought somewhere near the pier would be great. Any suggestions????????????? Thanks Judy:):)

Hyatt Place on 10th St

Embassy Suites 17th St

Renaissance on 17th St

These are within a few blocks of the pier and close to shops. ;)

Approx $15 cab from the airport to these hotels and maybe under $10 from these hotels to the pier.

Edited by highheel girl

I agree about using transfers in FLL & MIA.

I LAX we prefer to use Princess transfers . The cost of the

transfers is $19 each way per person . A private transfer (not bus) is about $90 each way plus tip.It is cheaper for us to use Princess.

In FLL we use there transfers because they are part of the hotel package.

We usually arrive at 8PM by plane from the West Coast of Canada . At that time just to tired to try and find the hotel transfer.

If we where arriving earlier or the day before I would consider using private transfers , taxi or rental car.

In San Pedro choices are limited. I've used the Crowne Plaza and Double Tree, both fairly close to the pier, both OK properties. The Crowne Plaza is within eyesite of the cruise terminal and has several attractions within walking distance. The Double Tree is newer, and is out by a marina, but nothing really within walking distance. Both have shuttles that provide free service within a 5 mile radius. The Ports O'Call Restaurant serves an amazing cioppino if you are looking for a nice dinner spot.

I am always taken back when I see threads that include the word "never". As for Princess transfers, I've always had nothing but stellar service. As a solo cruiser last year on the CB, a representative met me at LGA and I had a private limo take me to my hotel in Times Square, at rush hour.

When I travel with my elderly mother, Princess transfers are a life saver. We usually stay at a Princess hotel, so our transfers are included. The Princess rep is always there to meet us even before we get our luggage. They always help me get all the luggage and find a place for my Mom to sit.

Even in FLL, we get the transfer from the ship to the airport. We use the luggage service (EZ check) and the tranfers. The 1 time we were on the Ruby and didn't buy tranfers, we had to wait in a huge line for over an hour in the rain for a cab. It only takes one such experience to convince me to spend a little extra for the transfers.

My family and i ( 5 of us) will be flying in to FLL and from reading this we should cancel and just do this ourselves is that what your all thinking? We have only paid the deposit and well thinking we might. As of right now dont know when were coming in to FLL the day of or day before and the same for going back home.

So should i be able to cancel the transfers before the final payment is made?

Thanks

Amanda

My family and i ( 5 of us) will be flying in to FLL and from reading this we should cancel and just do this ourselves is that what your all thinking? We have only paid the deposit and well thinking we might. As of right now dont know when were coming in to FLL the day of or day before and the same for going back home.

So should i be able to cancel the transfers before the final payment is made?

Thanks

Amanda

Absolutely cancel them. You will be charged $14/pp one way which equals $70. Even if you have to take 2 taxis, it will only be $30 for both.

Edited by Pia1913

I agree about using transfers in FLL & MIA.

I LAX we prefer to use Princess transfers . The cost of the

transfers is $19 each way per person . A private transfer (not bus) is about $90 each way plus tip.It is cheaper for us to use Princess.

In FLL we use there transfers because they are part of the hotel package.

We usually arrive at 8PM by plane from the West Coast of Canada . At that time just to tired to try and find the hotel transfer.

If we where arriving earlier or the day before I would consider using private transfers , taxi or rental car.

A cab is actually about $55 plus a tip for the driver. Shared van services like Super Shuttle are under $20pp. A private limo/town car would run about $70 plus tip. the Princess transfer may be cheaper, but we always have the luck to be the first ones on the bus, and have had to wait up to an hour for it to fill up. I'm willing to pay a small premium to be on my way.

We have always stayed at the San Pedro Sheraton. Close to the pier and we found a great Damascus restaursant not oo far away.

~Doris~

That property is now the Crowne Plaza.:)

I have used Princess transfers number of times for both transfer from the airport to the hotel (booked thru Princess) in the port city and for transfer to the airport at the end of a cruise, and was always satisfied with the convenience.

Last year I flew into FLL a day ahead of the cruise, found my luggage and then found the "Princess Lady", who was expecting me. As I was the only one arriving at that time, and no one else was due to arrive for another hour, she took me to a waiting transfer bus to the hotel I had booked thru Princess, and was immediately taken to my hotel. I was the only passenger in the whole bus!!! I thought that was pretty spectacular service.

Was your luggage picked up the next morning and were you able to checkin for the ship in the hotel lobby. An earlier poster had that experience but it wasn't at FLL. Just wondering.

Was your luggage picked up the next morning and were you able to checkin for the ship in the hotel lobby. An earlier poster had that experience but it wasn't at FLL. Just wondering.

When you book a Princess package they pick up your luggage that morning too. My experiences with Princess pre checkins have been with them doing it the night before. That however has always been at an international hotel; not in the US.

Usually when I cruise in Europe I buy the transfers because it is less expensive especially when you have to change from dollars to euros. In the states I usually take my own cab it is quicker.

Edited by dutchess43

We purchased Princess Transfers at a cost of $48 each. I just found out that we will have to wait at the airport for over 2 1/2 hours for them to shuttle us to the ship and on the return transfer, they said our flight was too early so they couldnt accomodate us. (FYI - the flight no where near too early).

The transfers are NON-REFUNDABLE so now we are left with a very long wait for a ride to the ship and even worse having to pay for a cab on the transfer out.

Princess Cruises did not notify us that our flight home was "too early" and the only way I found this out is because I called them to find out where to print the transfers. They said they sent us an e-mail notifying us. I can assure you, they did not do this. I read every Princess e-mail.

I requested to be reinbursed via on board credit and was refused. Conveniently, Princess Cruises was unable to allow me to give my survey at the end of this disturbing phone conversation.

Just to add my 2 cents... When I see a thread that says never take a Princess transfer.

We had fairly good results with our transfer,could it have gone better-yes, worse- yes.

I just took a pre-paid Princess transfer from Vancouver Canada Place to Seattle airport, most everything went according to plan.

What did not is, that out of 4 of us traveling together only 1 suitcase made it to the airport under our bus, so we had to wait many hours for the last bus to arrive with our luggage.(not sure why this happened:confused: other than our driver did not load all our gold 3 bags) We had time on our side, but would have much rather waited after security in a nice restaurant/bar.

Other note- if taking Vancouver to SEA bus make sure it has a restroom onboard. Ours did so we made no additional stops, which was nice. Don't know how Princess can contract with a bus company with no restroom(the last bus arriving did not have a restroom onboard per the driver I spoke to) onboard for that long of a bus trip on a Saturday when all the Canadians are trying to also get across USA border. Not much traffic heading into Canada on a Saturday.