Flying in early! What to do?

jratly

We will get in to FLL around 9:30am so will have several hours to kill before boarding. What can we do? I am not sure there is much we can do since we will have luggage. I called RCI to ask if we could drop it off and they don't know! Said we'd just have to take a taxi and see. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

Shuttle to one of the nicer airport hotels (such as Hilton), tip them to watch your bags, and enjoy a relaxing breakfast and a mimosa or two. :D After breakfast you can cat to the port and check in for your cruise.

Good luck! :)

I'm actually not sure you'll have "several hours" to kill, assuming your cruise departs at the usual time. I've only cruised on Celebrity, but my recent cruise had a 4pm departure. But everyone had to be on board by 3 pm, and most people were on board well before that. When I embarked at about 1:30, all the rooms were clean, and people were already by the pool, drinks in hand. Long story short: by the time you get out of the airport and to the cruise terminal (FLL or POM?), you really aren't going to have all that much extra time.

Most ships allow boarding as early as 11-11;30 am....few minutes to retrieve your bags, taxi to port less than 30 minutes....depending on cruise line....some offer lunch in MDR after boarding....always have DOD (drink of the day).....traffic, lines and chaos increase as embarkation gets closer !

Enjoy your cruise.

You land at 9:30. Allow about 45 minutes to deplane and get luggage. That is 10:15. Get a taxi and head to the port, say 15 minutes. 10:30. Hand your bags to the Porter and head to check in. Say 45 minutes for that. That makes it about 11:15. Why not just board then and begin your cruise as soon as possible?

We are on Liberty of the Seas. I didn't think they would let us check in until noon (even though our documents say 1:30 - no way am I waiting until then).

We sail on RCI very very often out of Port Everglades or POM and usually arrive from a redeye flight any where from (9:00am-10:00am) and have usually been the first in line and have had no problems giving our luggage to a porter that early...First ones to checkin and first ones onboard (thanks C&A and suite priority)..we're enjoying that ship from the minute we can get on and usually avoid the long line and crowds behind us ;):)

You could just wait at the airport for an hour or so after getting your suitcses and then head to the port. You'll see others doing the same. We did that over a couple Bloody Mary's. I spent time researching a couple ports of call and Dh studied the ship's deck plans so we would be more familiar when boarding. Time flew by.

But if you really don't want to get to the pier until one, then head to some hotel on the beach or head to Las Olas Blvd (Leave your bags at the Riverside Hotel) and people watch.

You land at 9:30. Allow about 45 minutes to deplane and get luggage. That is 10:15. Get a taxi and head to the port, say 15 minutes. 10:30. Hand your bags to the Porter and head to check in. Say 45 minutes for that. That makes it about 11:15. Why not just board then and begin your cruise as soon as possible?

^This. Exactly. The first day onboard is a day you've paid for - my advice is to skip the hotel room and go to the port. You'll be onboard and eating lunch sooner than you know!

To answer your question about luggage, yes you could go to the pier and drop it off with a porter and then leave again for some sightseeing, but I surely wouldn't be doing that, for the reason I already mentioned. ;)

Enjoy.

I agree with the suggestions of others that you should arrive at the port, check in, and then enjoy the ship. One thought is that you might pack your bathing suits in your carry on and, after lunch, enjoy a swim, or water exercises.

We now cruise only on Celebrity, but I usually observe my daily three hour exercise regimen on the first day as well as every other day on the cruise.

We are on Liberty of the Seas. I didn't think they would let us check in until noon (even though our documents say 1:30 - no way am I waiting until then).

Never mind what the documents say. Most of the time people start boarding the ship at about 11am. You can take a cab to the ship after you pick up your luggage and be one of the first to board. You'll be on the ship in time for lunch.

Note..your cabin will not be ready until 1:30, but you can still get on the ship.

We sailed the Liberty a few weeks ago, and left the airport around 11 AM (we rented a car for our time pre-cruise, and they had a shuttle to go to the ship). We were able to check-in, etc, right away. I would take my time getting my baggage, then head to the port. Like jackdiamond mentioned, pack a tote bag with your swimsuits, etc, so you can enjoy lunch and then have a chance to enjoy the pool before your luggage arrives in your stateroom :)

Never mind what the documents say. Most of the time people start boarding the ship at about 11am. You can take a cab to the ship after you pick up your luggage and be one of the first to board. You'll be on the ship in time for lunch.

Note..your cabin will not be ready until 1:30, but you can still get on the ship.

Many many years of sailing with RCI and have always had those doors open to the cabins at 1:00pm exactly..maybe we've just been lucky :)

Many many years of sailing with RCI and have always had those doors open to the cabins at 1:00pm exactly..maybe we've just been lucky :)

Well I have been just as lucky as you. Each of my RCI cruises the cabins were ready at 1:00pm sharp! :)

This gets my vote....we always get to the ship around 10:30 and usually on the ship by 11:00- 11:30. take your carry on to the buffet, grab a cocktail and have a bite to eat.

Archived