Are all of these ports on the Euro?

I apologize for my ignorance. Just wondering if the following ports will accept the Euro:

Copenhagen, Aarhus, Berlin, Helsinki, Olso, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Stockholm

Copenhagen & Aarhus - Danish Kroner

Stockholm - Swedish Krona

Oslo - Norwegian krone

St. Petersburg - Russian Ruble

Helsinki, Berlin, Tallinn - Euro

jill

It surprises me that people who do detailed research on their trips don't take the time to spend a few seconds to learn the basics of the countries that they're visiting. It took me less than a minute to locate this website: http://www.xe.com/currency/ Incidentally, those traveling with a smartphone should know that there are numerous apps which will provide currencies and exchange rates. If connected to the Internet, they'll give you the latest exchange rate; if you've shut off data roaming (which can rack up astronomical charges), the apps will give you the rate from the last time you updated.

It surprises me that people who do detailed research on their trips don't take the time to spend a few seconds to learn the basics of the countries that they're visiting.

Which is exactly what the OP is doing here :) Thank you for the link and thank you, Shoegal24, for asking. The only ignorant people are those who don't ask questions!

When we were in Stockholm, we didn't have any Swedish Kronas, the cafe we ate lunch in accepted Euros, but gave the change back in Kronas. With the change I bought a couple of bottles of water. Also at the airport in Copenhagen, the duty free shop accepted Euros, and gave back the change in Kroners. Just something to know if you have excess Euros upon returning to the States.

..... if you have excess Euros upon returning to the States.

This may be sacrilegious to some, but I NEVER exchange my excess notes (not that I have a gazillion $ worth of any)....I just save them for my next trip to that country! :D

I have Euros, Pounds, Crowns (from Sweden, Norway, Denmark) Rubles & Australian dollars.

Going back to Russia in 2013, so will use my rubles (and then some) and will be using euros on my upcoming trip (with the exception of Prague & Turkey...will be collecting some of those bank notes on this trip).

jill

But the exchange rate will most likely be in the shops favour and they only accept notes and no coins.

I understand, but if the only thing you are planning to purchase is a bite to eat for lunch, it is easy to do. If you look for an atm, unless you have a no-fee card you will be paying a fee anyway.

It surprises me that people who do detailed research on their trips don't take the time to spend a few seconds to learn the basics of the countries that they're visiting. It took me less than a minute to locate this website: http://www.xe.com/currency/ Incidentally, those traveling with a smartphone should know that there are numerous apps which will provide currencies and exchange rates. If connected to the Internet, they'll give you the latest exchange rate; if you've shut off data roaming (which can rack up astronomical charges), the apps will give you the rate from the last time you updated.

It could just my interpretation, but this post came off very holier-than-thou.

I don't understand what the big deal is about asking this question on a forum, as opposing to googling all of the ports and finding the information from another forum or website.

And to the link, I actually saw that, but it still doesn't necessarily answer my original question. Just because a country has their own currency, doesn't automatically mean to me that they wouldn't accept the Euro. (i.e. Canadian merchants accept American currency). Since I have never been to Europe, I wasn't sure if a similar arrangement applied in any of the above noted ports.

When we were in Stockholm, we didn't have any Swedish Kronas, the cafe we ate lunch in accepted Euros, but gave the change back in Kronas. With the change I bought a couple of bottles of water. Also at the airport in Copenhagen, the duty free shop accepted Euros, and gave back the change in Kroners. Just something to know if you have excess Euros upon returning to the States.

This is true in SOME cases but please do NOT assume Euros are accepted everywhere. If you don't have local currency, pay with a credit card. They are accepted just about everywhere and are a VERY common method of payment in Europe.

What Sinppu says is certainly true in Stockholm. Use credit card. The places that accept the Euro will also usually accept the US$, they are equally foreign currences. There are only some places where you can´t use credit cards, usually for small purchases.

to the OP, some merchants in St. Petersburg will accept $USD. I found this to be true of street merchants at various tourist sites that come up to you to try and sell Russian souvenirs. Not only will they accept USD, they also accept Euro and they will bargain with you.

But as most people have noted, if you go into a shop to buy something, most will accept credit card, unless your purchase is really small.

This may be sacrilegious to some, but I NEVER exchange my excess notes (not that I have a gazillion $ worth of any)....I just save them for my next trip to that country! :D

I have Euros, Pounds, Crowns (from Sweden, Norway, Denmark) Rubles & Australian dollars.

Going back to Russia in 2013, so will use my rubles (and then some) and will be using euros on my upcoming trip (with the exception of Prague & Turkey...will be collecting some of those bank notes on this trip).

Be mindful though, that in the UK they seem to be forever minting new notes but the banks this side of the pond don't know this or don't tell you this.....I have been caught out twice.....with out dated pounds, bought here in Ontario, and unless you have a bank account over there, the banks/stores etc. won't accept them!

[quote name=shoegal24;33249268

Just because a country has their own currency' date=' doesn't automatically mean to me that they wouldn't accept the Euro. (i.e. Canadian merchants accept American currency).

[/quote]

Shoegal

my experience all over the World is that many small businesses that concentrate on the tourist market will accept "major" currencies so you will find many people in places like Norway, Denmark and Sweden who will accept Euros - or possibly even US Dollars. BUT - there will also be many who won't. Personally, I now attempt to get local currencies before visiting countries - even if the visit is only a one-day cruise stop. There are reasons that I do this - and it makes me more comfortable than (say) trying to pay for a bottle of Coke or a cup of coffee with Euros, or Dollars, etc.

In some places, the local currency is a "must" - eg in Sydney, Australia , you would definitely need Aussie Dollars - I can't imagine trying to see and experience a place like Sydney with only US dollars in your pocket :)

Barry

Rather than worrying about the local currency, I, too, was planning on using a credit card, but I thought I read in at least one Copenhagen thread that American credit cards don't work in that country. Anyone else see this or am I cross-eyed from pouring over these threads?

I've never heard of this :eek:

Some debit cards might not work but I've never seen a credit card that would not work. From any country.

Is American Express accepted in these areas? I also have a VISA card, but get much better rewards on my American Express.

Thanks!

Mary

Hi Mary,

As far as Germany is concerned, sorry to have to tell you that machines will only accept a card of the type with a chip and pin number. American (non chip and pin) Visa & MC are OK where you are 'served by a human' so to speak and can sign for the purchase but American Express are not very widely accepted .

It is wise to have a small amount of local cash (euros) as machines do not accept cards for ticket purchases under a certain amount and cash is also needed for rest rooms, bakeries, street stalls etc.

Maybe other cruisers would like to comment on their experience in this area as being a resident the problem does not arise for me.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Mary,

As far as Germany is concerned, sorry to have to tell you that machines will only accept a card of the type with a chip and pin number. American (non chip and pin) Visa & MC are OK where you are 'served by a human' so to speak and can sign for the purchase but American Express are not very widely accepted .

It is wise to have a small amount of local cash (euros) as machines do not accept cards for ticket purchases under a certain amount and cash is also needed for rest rooms, bakeries, street stalls etc.

Maybe other cruisers would like to comment on their experience in this area as being a resident the problem does not arise for me.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you!

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, AmEx isn't as widely accepted in Scandinavia as Visa or Mastercard, but the bigger the shop the better your chances are. If you can pay with a card, you can usually pay with your AmEx.

Using the ATM's will not work.

Archived