Monarch/Majesty

Yesterday we booked a trip on the Oasis for next year, but when we were booking, we found out that we are one point away from moving up to the next level, which our PVP said would give us a good discount (and with the price of Oasis we need all the discount we can get!). So, we are looking at the cheapest options we can get for this summer to bump us up to get the discount. We are looking at either Monarch or Majesty as they are the shortest and probably the cheapest (although air costs twice as much as the cruise - we live in Texas). We are just wondering what these ships are like generally or specifically from people that have done them recently and if there are any other suggestions you may have for them. Thanks!

They are very similar ships. The biggest difference is Majesty is out of Miami and has a Johnny Rockets and Monarch is out of Port Canaveral. The pricing is usually within $10 so I would look at transportation and hotel costs.

With Monarch you fly into Orlando and have the transportation costs to Port Canaveral. Once there you can usually get a good hotel rate with ground transportation to the ship.

When you cruise Majesty you will fly into either Miami or Ft Lauderdale depending on your airline. Hotels in Miami tend to be more expensive and transportation to the port is a little more difficult to arrange.

Also, depending on the season - the 4 nighter is frequently priced the same as the 3 nighter and if you take Majesty it spends the extra day in Key West wherre Monarch has a sea day.

Both are great little ships for a quick get away cruise.

We've sailed on the Monarch several times and the Majesty once. They are older but nice ships without many bells and whistles. For a short cruise they are an excellent choice.

For Dec. 2010, we booked the Allure and then later decided to hop on the Monarch on the way down just to do the oldest and the newest in one trip. We enjoyed both...were amazed by the Allure...but when we got home booked the Monarch again for a B2B because of her fantastic crew.

We sail the Monarch frequently. It's still a nice ship, and well maintained. We usually book decks 8 or 9 which have partially obstructed views of the lifeboats. These are usually one of the least expensive ocean views. If you want bottom line price you can book deck 2 or 3 inside. For 3 nights it's tolerable but small. The Friday to Monday sailings make it very convenient for getting time off from work etc....

I guess you would need to factor in the costs associated with the flight, and transportation as to whether it would be worth sailing out of Florida or closer to you.

Tom

We live very close to Port Canaveral and have driven to San Marcos and back over a weekend for family visits. If you could drive that would be less than flying I would think. Food for thought.

Since you have to fly, I would probably opt for Majesty. The ships are super similar but Majesty was a little better in our opinion. We really like the deli and option of Johnny Rockets. Also the decor seemed a little more exciting on Majesty. I agree with the others about the cabin size. Our 6'2 son could touch both walls in an inside! :eek:

232323232%7Ffp533%3C6%3Enu%3D3276%3E%3B62%3E575%3EWSNRCG%3D3237%3B4%3A552675nu0mrj

Since you have to fly, I would probably opt for Majesty. The ships are super similar but Majesty was a little better in our opinion. We really like the deli and option of Johnny Rockets. Also the decor seemed a little more exciting on Majesty. I agree with the others about the cabin size. Our 6'2 son could touch both walls in an inside! :eek:

232323232%7Ffp533%3C6%3Enu%3D3276%3E%3B62%3E575%3EWSNRCG%3D3237%3B4%3A552675nu0mrj

I LOVE the visual! :D

btw - great looking son.

I LOVE the visual! :D

btw - great looking son.

Thanks lol :) This was my first experience actually staying in an inside and I was so shocked at how small it was. The boys had an inside on Navigator that seemed to have much more room (not sure how much since I didnt have to actually stay in it -lol) a couple years prior to this one.

Thanks for all the quick responses! We've heard the rooms are tiny so we weren't expecting anything special there. (Thanks for the picture though, it's awesome! Good thing we aren't taller than 6 feet!) We are looking at an inside room because we are looking cheap. We are thinking maybe the Majesty 4 night sailing because we found out we could get a free upgrade to an ocean view. It is a little more expensive to fly to Miami, but we really like Key West!

Thanks for all the quick responses! We've heard the rooms are tiny so we weren't expecting anything special there. (Thanks for the picture though, it's awesome! Good thing we aren't taller than 6 feet!) We are looking at an inside room because we are looking cheap. We are thinking maybe the Majesty 4 night sailing because we found out we could get a free upgrade to an ocean view. It is a little more expensive to fly to Miami, but we really like Key West!

One more kicker...Monarch leaves the fleet next April. So you may want to sail her just to say you did before she's gone.

Yesterday we booked a trip on the Oasis ......we are one point away from moving up to the next level, which our PVP said would give us a good discount (and with the price of Oasis we need all the discount we can get!). So, we are looking at the cheapest options we can get for this summer to bump us up to get the discount. We are looking at either Monarch or Majesty as they are the shortest and probably the cheapest (although air costs twice as much as the cruise - we live in Texas).

Just want to make sure you realize that the discount savings you will get on your Oasis cruise will not even come close to what you will have to spend to go on a Monarch/Majesty cruise to qualify for the discount, especially considering that you also have to fly. If you just want to go on another cruise, and/or you plan to book more cruises on RC in the future, great, you'll get the discount each and every time and that will eventually add up. Just didn't want you thinking that booking a 3 nighter on Majesty is going to save you thousands on your Oasis cruise. Looking at your cruise history I'm guessing you will be going from gold to platinum? If you reach platinum before your Oasis cruise, you'll be eligible for a $100 (per cabin, not per person) platinum discount, assuming you are booked in a balcony or suite. (No discount for interiors or oceanviews)

:)

Just want to make sure you realize that the discount savings you will get on your Oasis cruise will not even come close to what you will have to spend to go on a Monarch/Majesty cruise to qualify for the discount, especially considering that you also have to fly. If you just want to go on another cruise, and/or you plan to book more cruises on RC in the future, great, you'll get the discount each and every time and that will eventually add up. Just didn't want you thinking that booking a 3 nighter on Majesty is going to save you thousands on your Oasis cruise. Looking at your cruise history I'm guessing you will be going from gold to platinum? If you reach platinum before your Oasis cruise, you'll be eligible for a $100 (per cabin, not per person) platinum discount, assuming you are booked in a balcony or suite. (No discount for interiors or oceanviews)

:)

Yes, it's gold to platinum (big whoop ha) but we will have multiple balcony rooms for Oasis. We know it's not a huge savings, but like you said, we plan on going on a lot more Royal in the future so it will start applying for those also. We have been looking for a summer cruise also that is cheap, since we just went last month and Oasis is expensive. This would be a good one to break our "have to have the best" (and I say that loosely as we really don't) syndrome, as it would only be several hundred for this trip versus a couple thousand for the usual.

Yesterday we booked a trip on the Oasis for next year, but when we were booking, we found out that we are one point away from moving up to the next level, which our PVP said would give us a good discount (and with the price of Oasis we need all the discount we can get!). So, we are looking at the cheapest options we can get for this summer to bump us up to get the discount. We are looking at either Monarch or Majesty as they are the shortest and probably the cheapest (although air costs twice as much as the cruise - we live in Texas). We are just wondering what these ships are like generally or specifically from people that have done them recently and if there are any other suggestions you may have for them. Thanks!

Have you looked at doing a short cruise on Liberty in front of your Oasis cruise? Not sure it would work, but you might be able to get the credit applied retroactively.

Have you looked at doing a short cruise on Liberty in front of your Oasis cruise? Not sure it would work, but you might be able to get the credit applied retroactively.

That's the other kicker as to why we are looking at the summer, we all work at schools, so Oasis is booked for spring break.

I think only one of you needs to be upgraded to the next

level to receive a discount...if you are both on the same

reservation.

You could do a solo trip to FL if you want to $ave even more.

Some people don't travel alone so forget that if it is not for you.

Just sayin'. Anyway 3 nighter is shortest...Friday to Monday.

I just did 3 nighter on Majesty and it was a nice get-away.

No Oasis but crew is great. You can definitely see the

genesis of Royal's ship building style in the Atrium area,

Schooner bar, etc.

:cool::cool:

Yes, it's gold to platinum (big whoop ha) but we will have multiple balcony rooms for Oasis. We know it's not a huge savings, but like you said, we plan on going on a lot more Royal in the future so it will start applying for those also. We have been looking for a summer cruise also that is cheap, since we just went last month and Oasis is expensive. This would be a good one to break our "have to have the best" (and I say that loosely as we really don't) syndrome, as it would only be several hundred for this trip versus a couple thousand for the usual.

Just make sure at least one platinum member is booked in each cabin in order to get the discount for each. Enjoy!

Archived