Day Wear

Firstimecruiser2012

Hi All,

We are sailing on the Silver Spirit, Fll to Fll, Nov 2012

What is the preferred dress during the day? Do you wear swim shorts to the pool deck OR change when you are there? How about lunch and afternoon tea? Would we need to return to the room and change into shirt and trousers? My wife to be is 27 and I am 36, we prefer smart casual, but like to wear swim shorts (me) swimsuit (DWTB) around the pool.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

We did Venice/Rome last year, and this coming October we will be sailing Athens/Istanbul - both on the Spirit. You will feel very comfortable with a tailered shirt (or Polo shirt) and shorts anywhere outside or inside during the day. Have fun!

A trick I use to check out what people actually wear is to go to YouTube and search for the ship's name. Usually there are videos posted that will give you an idea of what clothes people wear on that particular. Even if the video is a tour of the ship, there are usually people in the background that will show what is the customary dress on the particular ship.

Selecting Silversea for your first cruise was a very, very smart strategy!

I agree with the others that "smart casual" is fine throughout the day, indoors and out, at tea, and for the evenings designated as casual. You'll find that you change clothes less often than you'd think. Tailored shirts, nice tee shirts, cotton or khaki trousers, Bermuda or "longish" shorts will do the trick. I've rarely seen anyone in jeans, designer or otherwise.

As another poster said, you can wear your swimwear to the pool, but you'll want to wear a cover-up to get from your cabin to the pool (Silversea asks that you do so). People dress pretty modestly - no overly-revealing swimwear or terribly short shorts.

You can have lunch at poolside or at one of the indoor venues. You don't necessarily need to change clothes to eat at the Terrazza buffet downstairs. If I'm in a swimsuit, I usually just pull on a pair of shorts or loose cotton pants and my cover-up shirt, trot downstairs and either eat there or bring my plate up to the pool (a waiter will offer to bring it up for you - less liklihood of your dropping it!).

Afternoon tea is lovely. Again, your smart casual daywear is just fine (no swimsuits, but you wouldn't do that anyhow!). I might wear an Oxford shirt or tailored white tee shirt, a skirt, Bermuda shorts or khaki pants. A little string of pearls or beads is a nice addition. If your wife-to-be wants to wear a little summer dress, she'll look perfect. My husbands wears his usual daytime uniform to tea: polo shirt, khaki shorts or pants.

In general, "tasteful" is your keyword on Silversea. Tasteful, not glitzy, no tee shirts with rhinestones or clever sayings, nor sport shirts with team logos (not that passengers don't like sports, they just don't wear the shirts!). The fact that you're concerned about appropriate attire indicates that you'll be just fine, so don't worry too much.

It's always easy to overpack for a cruise, and you'll be delighted when you see the amount of storage in your cabin. If you're wondering where to store your luggage - it can go under the bed or in the walk-in closet.

Have a fabulous time!

Seafairer, thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. We tend to dress on the conservative side in everyday life and always try to continue this on our holidays. 'The clothes maketh the man' is apt. One of the reasons we booked Silversea was its reputation for class and we'll try not buck that trend! Our fear was the occasional faux pas but with the advice from this forum i'm sure we'll be fine.

We are very much looking forward to it!

Mr Luxury: Jeremy at Rhodes-Wood in Harrogate is highly regarded.

I have been reading some of these answers with a bit of a smile on my face for a few reasons. We have sailed only three times on SS, but on those three times, most of our fellow cruisers were well above the age of the OP. Unless they plan on dining in speedos and string bikinis, I think they will be fine!

I fear I have been guilty of some fashion faux pas over the years, as I have had a sequin or seed pearl on at least one shirt as I recall. But I have always worn a cover up (I wish others would do so :o more often!) around the pool and on the way back to our cabin.

My only warning would be that sometimes the public rooms can be chilly. And since evening attire for ladies tends to be strapless or sleeveless, I would recommend a wrap of some sort so your fiancee will be comfortable after dinner during a show or enjoying music and a drink in a lounge.

I didn't know tshirts with sequins were a fashion faux paux--yikes! I have a couple that are designer and very expensive. Should I not wear them on my upcoming Silversea cruise? They are fine on Regent.

They will be fine! Don't worry about it.

Rachel, I was responding to what was posted as advice to the OP on a previous post. It was an attempt at humor, but it might not have been all that successful!

Luckily for me, I've not yet spotted the Fashion Police onboard to harass me about my occasional fashion mistakes or wardrobe malfunctions.

Rachel, I was responding to what was posted as advice to the OP on a previous post. It was an attempt at humor, but it might not have been all that successful!

Luckily for me, I've not yet spotted the Fashion Police onboard to harass me about my occasional fashion mistakes or wardrobe malfunctions.

Oh, I completely got that! I read the previous poster's advice too. I will bring my blingy t-shirts and look good. And I may even wear my painted on Missme blingy jeans depending on what mood I'm in. Those would turn a few heads.

Guess we will both liven things up a bit on SS!

Our next cruising adventure will be at the end of May, but I have not done much planning on what to bring as of yet. The weather is supposed to be chilly, which will be a challenge for me. We have lived in Texas for the past 19 years, and we don't have much need for warm clothes here. I like cool weather, so am looking forward to being chilly for a change!

I have now cruised the Cloud, Wind, Shadow and Spirit and have to say, daytime wear REALLY fluctuates according to age. The younger demographic on all the ships (late 40's to late 50's) definitely wear jeans during the day. Other than that, it's very cruise casual but come 6pm ... people are DRESSED! That's one of the things I LOVE about Silversea. It's like 6pm is the witching hour ... people disappear behind their suite doors only to reappear smelling and looking fantastic! :D

I have now cruised the Cloud, Wind, Shadow and Spirit and have to say, daytime wear REALLY fluctuates according to age. The younger demographic on all the ships (late 40's to late 50's) definitely wear jeans during the day. Other than that, it's very cruise casual but come 6pm ... people are DRESSED! That's one of the things I LOVE about Silversea. It's like 6pm is the witching hour ... people disappear behind their suite doors only to reappear smelling and looking fantastic! :D

Completely agree with this post. I fall into the 'younger demographics' catagory. I will be wearing jeans on our next cruise, round the British Isles, in May - unlikely to be warm. I love the Silversea evenings, even casual nights are dressy, even a short cruise calls for a different outfit every night. I cant wait! You simply cannot be overdressed, and those ladies who ask 'can I get away with floaty trousers & a sparkly top' on FORMAL nights should not choose Silversea.

This is such an interesting thread. I must say that it does not sound like anything we have experienced on our two Silversea cruises where shorts, jeans t-shirts (with or without logos or sequins) and other ultra casual attire were worn by most passengers during the day. In the evening we noticed about 50% of men wearing tuxedos, 25% of the women in gowns and many dress slacks or skirts with fancy/sparkley tops. Everyone looked wonderful. No one appeared to be judging what others were wearing. . . . things were comfortable -- not quite as stuffy as this thread might indicate. I suppose it depends upon the sailing, itinerary and ship:confused:

Travelcat2 - I was beginning to wonder also! You summed it up perfectly, I think some of the previous posters' comments are somewhat "snobbish" and certainly not what we've come across on SS!

You are so right, we are usually having too much of a good time to wonder or even care what other people are wearing!

Never judge a book by its cover! :)

That was why I chimed in with my sequined tshirt comment! I love to dress up at night, which is one of the many reasons I love to cruise on SS. I also enjoy seeing what the other ladies have chosen to wear!

During the day, people pretty much wear normal clothes, imo. Some seem a bit more country club than others, and a few dress like they are the captain, but it is all good! As long as what I pack still fits by the end of the cruise, I am happy.

I too love to dress for dinner, and one of the things that is particularly important to me is that SS continues to enforce the dress code - jackets for gentlemen at dinner except on informal evenings. Of course itinerary has something to do with it - which is fine with me - but an all casual ship doesn't appeal to me. Compliance with established standards elevates the entire experience IMO.

I can usually spot what I think is a first time cruiser because they seem to wear a fashionable new outfit every day, as did I when I first started cruising. I'm not criticizing, just stating my observation. However, I just checked a photo album from 1996 (Silver Wind Rome/Athens) and I have on the same evening top that I wore on the Cloud in March 2012. Which perhaps proves the point that most folks don't pay any attention to what I wear as long as it's neat and clean and doesn't scare the horses.....;)

However, I just checked a photo album from 1996 (Silver Wind Rome/Athens) and I have on the same evening top that I wore on the Cloud in March 2012. Which perhaps proves the point that most folks don't pay any attention to what I wear as long as it's neat and clean and doesn't scare the horses.....;)

Your post really made me chuckle. I have a "cruise wardrobe" that exists in a guest bedroom. Most of the items are only worn on cruises -- probably every cruise. I suppose I'd find myself wearing the same outfits if I looked back to our first cruise in 2004.

I don't think that anyone wants to change the dress code or dress in a way that does not comply. IMO, this thread was just not representative of what we have experienced on Silversea (keeping in mind that we have only been on two SS cruises:-)

Dusababy and Travelcat2

You both made me laugh - girls, that makes at least 3 of us who have a wardrobe in the guest bedroom full of "cruise clothes"! :D

Like you I love dressing up in my finery on our cruises - it's so much part of the fun, and the DH loves getting spruced up with his finery too (I was going to say he loves dressing up too but that's a whole new thread LOL!)

Archived