LIVE - Solstice Transatlantic April 15-29

rafinmd

So glad to see that you will be reporting live on a transatlantic I was hoping someone would!! We will be taking our first TA this fall on the Equiox. Hope your train trip was good and enjoy the cruise!!!!

I too am looking forward to your live report. I did the TA on the Solstice last May and can relive my wonderful trip.

This year I am doing the Silhouette TA leaving 4/22/12. I will catch your first week and then have to review your 2nd week after my return.

Its a lot of work to so a live report so props to you. So many people enjoy the live reports.

Norma

Thanks for taking the time to post during your cruise. I am very excited to 'tune in' to your reports as DW and I are considering a crossing on the Eclipse, a Solstice Class, in October. In fact, I just posted here wondering what happens on a trans Atlantic voyage, activities, meals, 7 days at sea. So your posts will be quite timely.

We were on on the Solstice a couple months back and it is far and away the most beautiful ship and best service on any ship or resort I've ever experienced. You will love it.

As you are leaving on an auspicious anniversary, I am wondering if they will have any sort of memorial, moment of silence, or other mention of the Titanic disaster. Please let us know if that comes up.

Have a wonderful trip Roy. I will be checking in daily!:D

I have always believed there is no such thing as a bad cruise nor a bad train ride. That belief was put to the test today. There are 2 trains a day to Florida. The Silver Star is supposed to arrive Washington at 2:40 and leave at 3:00. The Silver Meteor leaves later but travels a faster route, bypassing Tampa and arriving in Ft. Lauderdale about 40 minutes after the Silver Star. I noticed about 2:30 that it had been marked "Delayed" on the departure board. About 20 minutes later the announcement came that it was 30 minutes late and at 2 the sleeping car passengers were assembled to make our way to the train. The attendant was unable to locate the right track and we were ushered first to one seating area and then another while she investigated. We made our way to the train about 3:30 and I boarded the sleeper closest to the diner. The train is powered by overhead wires to Washington but then must switch to diesel for the rest of the trip. The planned diesel locomotive was defective and it was 4:30 before a replacement was ready for service. We made up some time overnight but were still an hour behind when we got to Tampa. The Silver Meteor was now ahead of us and it's locomotive failed 2 hours North of Ft. Lauderdale with us stuck behind it. By the time their service was restored we were 2 1/2 hours late at Ft. Lauderdale, arriving at 7:40 instead of 5:12.

I had a starboard roomette which makes an inside cabin on a ship look huge. I did take a couple of pictures but you are too close to the opposite wall to get a decent camera view. The room is about 3 x 7 feet with 2 seats facing each other and a foldout table between them. A lavatory and sink are on the front wall and hangers on the back wall, with a storage cubbyhole on top. If 2 are in the room an upper bunk slides down.

I was settling into my room as the Conductor took my ticket and my cabin attendant (think room steward) came by and introduced herself. There are 3 seatings for dinner, 5, 6:30, and 8. All meals are included for sleeping car passengers while those in coach can either purchase them, snack in the cafe/lounge car, or bring their own food. A reservation slip for 6:30 is on my table.

The dinner call came promptly at 6:30 and I joined 3 people headed for Central Florida, disembarking about 7 hours before I do. I had the daily special, a tender pork chop, while the others had steak and chicken. I found fatigue catching up with me rather quickly, and was ready when the time came to make up my bed around 10.

I woke about 6 after a pleasant night. I am on the wrong side of the train for sunrise and went up to the lounge car. A big ball rose above the horizon, although the trees along the tracks prevented a good picture. The Conductor told me we were 50 minutes behind, so we made up about 35 minutes overnight. Breakfast was French toast and bacon.

My parents retired in Central Florida making this part of the trip a bit nostalgic. We came within easy walking distance of their mobile home park outside Lakeland and Mom's later retirement village outside Kissimmee. Unfortunately, both were obscured by trees but the neighborhoods were very familiar.

I really didn't mind the extra time on the train but it was getting dark when we arrived. I had planned on using transit to get to the hotel but with the impending darkness went to a taxi, arriving about 8:30.

Today's parting shot comes from a remark I heard at breakfast. Some people ride trains (and ships) because they are afraid to fly or (like me) simply don't like it. I know and even emotionally accept that flying is perfectly safe. So is root canal. I am not afraid to do either one but won't pursue either without a good reason. Some people at the next table were discussing flying and one reported a remark by a small child. Mommy, if the earth blew up where would we land. Just when you thought you had found all the reasons to be afraid of flying. I wonder, if the earth blew up, where would we dock?

Roy

Hi Roy: I am cruiselady 12 and I really enjoy your writings and hope to meet you onboard.

I did the crossing on Equinox last May and the Solstice 3 years ago. the ships are very

beautiful and so easy to get around. I especially like the indoor spa pool with wonderful

chaislounges and all glass windows, the diningroom is also very pretty. I am sure you will

love the ship. I hear there will be new menus this year. Well. got to finish packing and

get to the port. Luckily I am only 30 minutes away. Natalie

Your posts and blogs will be of particular interest to me.

First, I too will be on this sailing, though it will be my 5th on Celebrity (2 on Millennium and 1 each on Constellation and Century). But this will be my first on a Solstice class ship.

I hope we run into each other on board and get to exchange impressions of a ship new to both of us. Meanwhile, enjoy your leisurely journey to the port. My wife and I are getting up at the crack of dawn on Friday to enjoy todays airline travel.

To get up so early JUST to enjoy the glorious experience of modern day air travel.:p Make sure you offer a hearty greeting to all those wonderfull TSA folks. They truely do lend a whole new meaning to the term "touchy feely relationship":D

Cruiselady 12 (Natalie),

I noticed this is your first posting. Welcome to Cruise Critic! Tou are going to LOVE this site.

Defintely meet Roy on your cruise. We met him years ago on a small ship line and consider him a wealth of information on cruising and train travel.

Bon Voyage on your cruise!

As I move to satellite internet and work from receiving thread responses by email, my replies will look something like this:

From ImpulsivePuppy:

“Thanks for taking the time to post during your cruise. I am very excited to 'tune in' to your reports as DW and I are considering a crossing on the Eclipse, a Solstice Class, in October. In fact, I just posted here (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1613766) wondering what happens on a trans Atlantic voyage, activities, meals, 7 days at sea. So your posts will be quite timely.

We were on on the Solstice a couple months back and it is far and away the most beautiful ship and best service on any ship or resort I've ever experienced. You will love it.

As you are leaving on an auspicious anniversary, I am wondering if they will have any sort of memorial, moment of silence, or other mention of the Titanic disaster. Please let us know if that comes up.

Have a wonderful trip Roy. I will be checking in daily!“

I’m not really expecting anything about Titanic, but will let you know if that changes. I normally blog on wordpress and post the daily programs fairly quickly. I’m experimenting with blogger this time and they don’t really support pdf files. I think cruise critic will allow it as an attachment but only 1 page fits the size limit so I’ll try to post the activities page.

From smosh21:

“looking forward to seeing how you like Celebrity for a TA. I have done Royal and I am debating a Celebrity TA in 2013. Would like to read about the experience of activities on the ship for Sea days.”

I’ll be curious too.

From hulamoon:

“Aloha Roy,

We are in Florida, looking forward to meeting our awesome roll call. Thank Roy!”

See you at sailaway

From auuaseeker:

“Roy,

After seeing your bags no one will think you are traveling light. That is some impressive baggage to be carrying. Sorry I couldn't resist throwing that in. It looks like you are off to a good journey.”

They came to about 20 pounds for the little one and 43 for the big one. I can walk about a mile to a mile and a half with them but that’s about my limit.

Roy

To get up so early JUST to enjoy the glorious experience of modern day air travel.:p Make sure you offer a hearty greeting to all those wonderfull TSA folks. They truely do lend a whole new meaning to the term "touchy feely relationship":D

I look forward to seeing you Sunday.

Roy how about posting a picture of yourself so we have a face to go with the name.

Love everything you have wrote so far.

Norma

As a solo, I don't take a lot of pictures but I think I have one I can attach as a thumbnail.

Cruiselady 12 (Natalie),

I noticed this is your first posting. Welcome to Cruise Critic! Tou are going to LOVE this site.

Defintely meet Roy on your cruise. We met him years ago on a small ship line and consider him a wealth of information on cruising and train travel.

Bon Voyage on your cruise!

Thank you Barb and Dan, and welcome Natalie to Cruise Critic. How do you define "out of control"? How about being in Ft. Lauderdale waiting for a cruise to start and booking another cruise. I just booked the Grande Caribe Islands of New England cruise for July. Barb and Dan know Blount, but it is a specialty company out of Rhode Island running microscopic (90-some passenger) ships and a favorite of mine.

myphoto.jpg.57dfa9a5085c8c5efbb056755dfefdfc.jpg

Roy, After a wonderful cruise to and from Hawaii, we took the AMTRAK from LA to Chicago. Never again!. We must have had the same type of room as you had except there were 2 of us. I'm somewhat claustrophobic and couldn't sleep in an upper bunk and my husband is disabled and needed to sleep on the lower bunk. So, I tried to sleep in the extra chair? near the window. Didn't work well at all for sleep. They originally had us in a larger room downstairs that only had one chair unless you wanted to sit on the toilet. And, the ceiling was even lower than the one in your room. And, my husband would have had to climb up and down that circular stairway to and from every meal. Remember, I said that he was disabled right? And, we were in the accessible room? Well, we laugh about our trip of a lifetime. Remember that I did say that we had a wonderful cruise.

Azulan, if you read my description and still want to try a train you're a traveler after my own heart. judyfssw, sorry it didn't work for you. Your room was a lot bigger than mine if you had an extra chair. I love the double deck trains but they are a real problem for those with mobility issues. I think the idea is you stay in your room and the attendant brings you your meals. Not the way I'd want to travel. btw, if you see TraceyP and Keith in January, say hello to them for me.

Hi Rafinmd,

I wanted to wish you a wonderful voyage on Amtrak, and of course, on Solstice. We have some beautiful memories of Solstice, as we were onboard for her naming and for a big family birthday sailing in 2010. It feels odd, that when Solstice leaves Ft Lauderdale this Sunday, that she won't be returning for at least 2 years.... unless her schedule changes. She will be missed.

We look forward to following your blog. Bon Voyage !

Thanks, Host Andy. I'm really not much of a Celebrity person, but Solstice is becoming something of a "family" ship. My nephew and his SO (TraceyP on Cruise Critic) were on her in January and will be going back "down under" next January.

Roy, I enjoy reading your posts on the HAL and Crystal boards, and will follow your journey here. Have a great cruise!

Frank

Thank you, Frank.

This was overall a pretty quiet day, although a discrepancy between the forecast and actual weather did make things a bit interesting. I woke about 6 and was out for a walk a bit before 7 hoping to see a Florida sunrise. I was out in time but the area near the hotel is lined with buildings and trees and never actually saw the sun for about the first 15 minutes. I did a lot of walking today, down along the beach and looking for a good vantage point for tomorrow's sailaways. I did not find much and it looks like my best option will be the 17th Street bridge. The bus line which serves the hotel runs from Lauderdale Mall inland to the Galleria Mall a few miles up the beach, and I went to Galleria Mall in late morning.

I did not find much of interest there but about 11:15 an unexpected shower turned into a deluge. It was the kind of rain normally associated with a thunderstorm although there was no thunder. The deluge continued for about 20 minutes before returning to a shower. I took the bus back to town and as I was preparing to get off the deluge returned, this time for about 40 minutes. I took shelter in town and finally returned to the hotel about 2:30, and then took another walk looking for a seaside vantage point. Once more it rained, but this time a shower my rain jacket could handle.

After this final walk I did spent about half an hour on the computer in the hotel, then realized that I could barely walk, with a very sore ankle. It felt fine while I was walking but was almost impossible after a period of activity.

While out for dinner I bought an ankle brace at the pharmacy and that seems to have helped a lot. I have also booked a noon shuttle to the port Sunday.

My room at the Pier 66 is pleasant but the view is disappointing. I am on the 3rd floor, and my balcony can just barely see the Intracoastal waterway looking West, and just a trace of the 17th street bridge. If I want to see any ship traffic I will have to find a new vantage point (ankle permitting).

Today's parting shot considers the fact that life goes on while I am away cruising. I work with a group of scouts sponsored by my Fire Department, and this morning's mail contained a message that one of our scouts has just been certified as our newest Eagle Scout. Evan, congratulations and well done.

Roy

Bon Voyage Roy:):):) Looking forward to following along and all of your reports. Hope the Celebrity board doesn't mind a few of us from the HAL board dropping over to catch your thread;) After all, your reports have a lot of fans:D

Roy,

As I write this I am also watching Solstice arrive at the port on the webcam.

You came right past us in Plant City on the train. In fact, I am quite sure your train blew her horn around our place.

Janet and I are all packed and about ready to jump in our 1 way Hertz rental to FLL. It should take us about 4 hours or so. Not as interesting as the train but our journey to Spain with you will be. Hope to see you on board this afternoon.

Thank you erewhon and Jacqui. I know the Westerdam's leaving early but I hope a few of the HAL regulars will stay around for the Solstice Sailaway.

Cruizier, when my mom was in Lakeland (1969 -90) we went through Plant City many times and often had lunch there. You probably won't see this but I will see you on board.

Well, Saturday arrived on a double sour note. The morning weather was ugly with strong winds and steady rain. I had hoped to get out to watch some of today's 6 cruise ships arrive but I slept until 7 and they were then all docked. My ankle was also quite sore and on rising could barely hobble to the bathroom. It was not as bad as when the symptoms first hit but much worse than Friday evening. Fortunately, things got much better as the day wore on. After about 50 steps the pain in my ankle dropped to about half of it's initial and another half once I had the brace back on. The weather was starting to improve when I finally left the hotel about 9:30.

After breakfast I stopped at the pharmacy and purchased a cane. After walking about 6 blocks with it the cane didn't really seem to make much difference but it will be useful at times when I don't have the brace.

When I did laundry and had a late lunch it was quite windy but the sun was mostly out. I had been planing to find a vantage point to watch the ships in port sail away. As I was making my way up the 17th Street bridge the Crown Princess, the ship closest to me, had pulled out of the berth and was starting to leave the exit channel. There was about a half hour wait before the Oasis of the Seas started backing away from the dock, swiveled and made it's way out to sea. 40 minutes later the RSS Navigator backed away and went out to sea. What a contrast between those two. In another 15 minutes or so the Liberty of the Seas pulled away from it's berth swiveled 90 degrees and headed off. Almost immediately the Eurodam started backing a half mile or so out it's side channel and went off towards Europe. I left the bridge for dinner with the Navigator of the Seas getting ready to depart. No Celebrity ships in port today.

After dinner I was ready to head back from the mainland to the hotel. I had just missed my planned bus and went ahead and walked it, making it home before the next bus arrived and the ankle posed minimal difficulties. (as I write this Sunday morning the ankle is about the same as last night, definitely better than Saturday morning).

It's amazing how much junk I unpacked for my stay and spent most of the evening repacking.

Today's parting shot wonders a bit about the cities named on various vessels. I understand cruise ships finding advantageous places to register but a couple of things I saw from the bridge amazed me. A water taxi was running back and forth under the bridge with "Boston" on the stern. He seems to be a bit out of his territory. A ferry makes daily runs to the Bahamas. It had "Barcelona" plastered on the side. I don't quite understand the connection, and doubt that it runs between Barcelona and the Bahamas. If so, I'll feel much safer going there on the Solstice.

Roy

Bon Voyage, Roy, and have a wonderful first time visit with Celebrity. We returned last week from the Crystal Symphony Transatlantic, so I look forward to repeating the crossing through your blog!

To everyone else, be sure and bookmark and follow Roy's blogs. They are always very interesting and informative reads. ;)

Bon Voyage Roy:):):) Looking forward to following along and all of your reports. Hope the Celebrity board doesn't mind a few of us from the HAL board dropping over to catch your thread;) After all, your reports have a lot of fans:D

Beav and Jacqui, will you give me a heads up if there's anything I need to know about on the Crystal or HAL boards?

I took a walk on the bridge this morning and got my first view of the Solstice. I've seen a number of Celebrity ships in person in my travels but I'm pretty sure this isn't one of them.

I believe also this is the largest ship I'll have sailed, at least in passenger capacity. QM2 is about another 30,000 tons but I think carries about 200 fewer passengers.

I'll be leaving the hotel soon.

Roy

1stview.jpg.bed7ae38c0ae20f7d9fdd131e21cfd15.jpg

hyatt.jpg.9eac88b85af185d132f1ff056f3da6d3.jpg

Beav and Jacqui, will you give me a heads up if there's anything I need to know about on the Crystal or HAL boards?

Will certainly try, Roy! We are leaving this coming Friday aboard Celebrity Century to Hawaii for 15 days, so I guess we're all in traveling mode!

Have a wonderful, safe and fun crossing. ;)

Hello and enjoy your cruise to hawaii,

Any chance you went to Tustin High School?

Curious because of your cruise critic name... if you have had the nickname all your life?

You were close, but I'm a Northern California boy! The nickname has been around since my teens! :eek:

Archived