LIVE - Solstice Transatlantic April 15-29

rafinmd

Obviously not yet, but I'll be boarding Amtrak's Silver Star tomorrow to Ft. Lauderdale, 3 nights at the Hyatt Pier 66 and 2 weeks on the Solstice to Barcelona.

This will be my first time on X but I'm a veteran cruiser with past voyages on Carnival, the old Regency, Crystal, HAL, Cunard, Silversea, Windstar, RCI, and a number of small specialty companies. This will be my 12th transatlantic with previous trips on freighter Canmar Courage, Crystal Symphony and Serenity, QM2 (x5), QE2, Wind Surf and Rotterdam.

My style is pretty much narrative; I'm a lousy excuse for a photojournalist. What pictures I do post will generally be on a companion blog at:

http://solsticeta2012.blogspot.com/

I will also try to set up pages on the blog for things like menus, daily programs, and miscellaneous extras.

I'm a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to internet. I'll usually do a daily post the morning after each day. I will try to answer questions, but it will take a bit of time. For the most part I log on, do my post and log off. I will subscribe to the thread giving me a daily email summary of what was posted. Offline, I'll read the questions, compose my response, and post when I am back on line. Expect a likely 2-day turnaround. Of course, this all requires the cooperation of the satellite gods.

My last southern crossing was on the 14,745-ton, 312 passenger Wind Surf (Lisbon-Barbados), quite a different experience than I expect here. At that time they had just placed a new satellite in orbit and I think there will be fairly regularly available access but only time will tell.

I expect my next planned post will be from Union Station in Washington tomorrow afternoon. I will not have internet on the train so you won't hear from me after that until I reach Ft. Lauderdale.

One piece of my shtick is to usually close each post with some kind of a "parting shot". It could be most anything, a reflection on an event of the day, something from the ship, something going on elsewhere in the world at the time or something completely unrelated to cruising. I'm sure considering the timing at least one of them will have some reference to Titanic.

For today's parting shot, adventure can be any of a number of things. It could be a destination, an event, or just something new to the person. This is the beginning of several adventures, especially the new to me ports of Tenerife, Seville, and Malaga, a new ship and a new cruise line with a culture I will get familiar with soon enough. Back to packing for now but the adventure is at hand.

Roy

This looks like it's going to be a professional review :)

I really look forward to hear how different lines compare on a TA.

What I am certainly interested in is to have the new 14 days menus as they don't have been fully published yet.

Have a great and safe cruise

Thanks for doing this! We will be on the Solstice in late may, would you mind commenting on how she handles rough seas... will you mention how rough it is? This is something I am worried about as I am notorious for getting sea sick (I am getting the patch for this trip). However, my past cruises were on older ships so I would like to hear how the Solstice handles rough weather. The biggest thing for me is the deep rolls and pitch (if that makes sense).

Thanks for doing this! We will be on the Solstice in late may, would you mind commenting on how she handles rough seas... will you mention how rough it is? This is something I am worried about as I am notorious for getting sea sick (I am getting the patch for this trip). However, my past cruises were on older ships so I would like to hear how the Solstice handles rough weather. The biggest thing for me is the deep rolls and pitch (if that makes sense).

Hi CruisingGatorGirl -

The Transderm Scop patch is fine for folks who get queezy. Be careful of the side effects though! What ever you do, wash your hands thoroughly after touching it! Otherwise you might wind up with dilated pupils!

My late fathers solution to mal de mar was ginger (he preferred ginger snaps), worked for him.

The Solstice class ship is so stable we don't notice any motion.

But after 25,000+ miles on our own 50 foot boat - we aren't sensitive to it.

-----

We WON'T be wasting any pricey Internet minutes or valuable time on board bothering to do anything on the web when we're on the cruise. We just unplug!

See you all in a few days!

cheers,

Bill

Bon Voyage, Roy, and have a wonderful first time visit with Celebrity. We returned last week from the Crystal Symphony Transatlantic, so I look forward to repeating the crossing through your blog!

To everyone else, be sure and bookmark and follow Roy's blogs. They are always very interesting and informative reads. ;)

rubens, I'll do my best with the menus. I'm not sure how different the MDR menus are from BLU, so I'll do my best to get both.

Thank you wisteria1019 and Azulann. CruisingGatorGirl, I tend to be a pretty steady sailor so I may not be the best judge of how rough the seas are but I'll do my best. I'm really looking forwhard to the Hyatt's great location.

radsailor and RaptorBill, I've got my beads packed away. I look forward to meeting you at sailaway.

aquaseeker, I'll try to take good care of the ship for you.

Beav, maybe this will help you step down a bit from losing Keith's World Cruise blog. I look forward to finally meeting you around September 5.

Roy

Hi CruisingGatorGirl -

The Transderm Scop patch is fine for folks who get queezy. Be careful of the side effects though! What ever you do, wash your hands thoroughly after touching it! Otherwise you might wind up with dilated pupils!

My late fathers solution to mal de mar was ginger (he preferred ginger snaps), worked for him.

The Solstice class ship is so stable we don't notice any motion.

But after 25,000+ miles on our own 50 foot boat - we aren't sensitive to it.

-----

We WON'T be wasting any pricey Internet minutes or valuable time on board bothering to do anything on the web when we're on the cruise. We just unplug!

See you all in a few days!

cheers,

Bill

great, thank you!

rubens, I'll do my best with the menus. I'm not sure how different the MDR menus are from BLU, so I'll do my best to get both.

Thank you wisteria1019 and Azulann. CruisingGatorGirl, I tend to be a pretty steady sailor so I may not be the best judge of how rough the seas are but I'll do my best. I'm really looking forwhard to the Hyatt's great location.

radsailor and RaptorBill, I've got my beads packed away. I look forward to meeting you at sailaway.

aquaseeker, I'll try to take good care of the ship for you.

Beav, maybe this will help you step down a bit from losing Keith's World Cruise blog. I look forward to finally meeting you around September 5.

Roy

thank you, have a great trip!

Your posts and blogs will be of particular interest to me.

First, I too will be on this sailing, though it will be my 5th on Celebrity (2 on Millennium and 1 each on Constellation and Century). But this will be my first on a Solstice class ship.

Second, like you I have been on multiple (17) TA crossings, including 2 freighters, 5 Cunards (3 QE2 and a back-to-back QM2), 2 Azamara, 2 Seabourn, 1 SeaDream and 1 Wind Surf - Lisbon to St Thomas. My first freighter was a true crossing (no ports of call) on a small Irish Cargo Passenger ship, the Fanad Head, with just 8 passengers aboard. That was a very long time ago and took 14 days to sail from Liverpool UK to Baltimore MD.

I hope we run into each other on board and get to exchange impressions of a ship new to both of us. Meanwhile, enjoy your leisurely journey to the port. My wife and I are getting up at the crack of dawn on Friday to enjoy todays airline travel.

Thank you, CruisingGatorGirl and Trulli I look forward to meeting you on board.

I left home about 8, earlier than planned, but was all packed and there was no need to delay. I do try to use transit when I travel and the stop is a short walk from my house. After a short ride to our mall (and a breakfast break) an hour on a second bus got me to the BWI rail station about 10. It's a busy station on the New York to Washington line as well as a busy commuter station but does not serve long distance trains. I was ticketed for 12:27 but they cheerfully exchanged the ticket for the next train (11AM) and I was in Washington at 11:30. Even in this short trip I was reminded that over the next day I will be working on my "rail legs". I'll be well prepared when I get to sea.

I normally travel with a large backpack and a smaller daypack which I wear backwards over my chest, leaving my hands free. Once at Washington Union Station I proceeded immediately to check the big bag to Ft. Lauderdale, and then to the First Class lounge where the small bag can stay until we board the Silver Star around 2:30. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I went on a diet and lost 70 pounds and about 6 months later was able to discontinue my medication. The bags I am carrying are quite heavy but it's sobering to remember that 10 years ago I weighed less than I do now with all that stuff.

Union Station is pretty much in the center of Washington directly in sight of the Capitol. I took a walk around the area for about an hour. A few weeks ago the cherry blossoms were in full bloom; there are only faded remnants left now but they are still nice looking. In my travels I passed the Capitol, Supreme Court and some very nice white blossoms outside the Canadian Embassy.

I returned to Union station about 1 and got lunch and then wifi at Club Acela.

As today's parting shot, they say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. It was actually about 180 steps to the bus stop, but Barcelona is well over a thousand miles. The journey has begun.

Roy

All of the pictures should be on the blog but I'll add a thumbnail of my bags here in case anybody gets the illusion I am traveling light.

BAGS.jpg.80cfd1994e22684fe47f18e1a8748e96.jpg

Hi Rafinmd,

I wanted to wish you a wonderful voyage on Amtrak, and of course, on Solstice. We have some beautiful memories of Solstice, as we were onboard for her naming and for a big family birthday sailing in 2010. It feels odd, that when Solstice leaves Ft Lauderdale this Sunday, that she won't be returning for at least 2 years.... unless her schedule changes. She will be missed.

We look forward to following your blog. Bon Voyage !

Roy,

Looking forward to your blog. We sailed on Solstice on the TA last May (2011) from FLL to BCN. I think you will love the Solstice. In 2011 we had some great speakers and entertainers. On Celebrity they don't call it "enrichment" as they do on Crystal.

However, we had some of the same people on board that Crystal books (Nigel West, Nicola Loud, Catherine Jenkins).

I will be taking my first Crystal cruise on the Symphony next month. I will also be doing a blog. As I have not done a blog before I am looking forward to it. We will be on the President"s Cruise so hopefully there will be a lot to cover.

Looking forward to your thoughts on Solstice. Wishing you a happy Bon Voyage.

-Stephanie

Thanks fo this blog !! I too will be on this voyage . I am going to share a link withy my daughters so they can follow it as I am another one who will not be using ship internet time.

Leaving NS early Sat. morning.

Hope to meet you!!

Pat

Hi Rafinmd,

It feels odd, that when Solstice leaves Ft Lauderdale this Sunday, that she won't be returning for at least 2 years.... unless her schedule changes. She will be missed.

I had the same feeling, Andy. I won't be able to see the final FLL sailaway on Sunday afternoon. Have sailed her twice and she is our favorite ship so far.

Looking forward to this TR. Safe travels !

mac_tlc

Roy,

I like your writing style and will be reading your every word with anticipation. We will board once you disembark in Barcelona. We have been on both the Solstice and Equinox and my advise is to explore as many areas as possible on the ship. There are many cozy intimate spaces and corners to find amongst the big and beautiful locations. You will be amazed at the small details as well as the larger ones.

Bon voyage.

Have a fantastic time. We were on the Solstice last June & she is a beautiful ship. You will love her. Looking forward to your blog. We are looking to book the Silhouette for her TA next April out of FL. We are sailing on her in 60 days & counting. :D Bon voyage. :)

Archived