Flight to Auckland

We need some advise on our flight to Auckland next January. We will be flying from the west coast of the US (using points to get that far) and then have the following options:

Air New Zealand - direct flight from San Francisco or LA/Auckland

Qantas - LA/Brisbane/Auckland (partially done on points)

Air Pacific - LA/Figi/Auckland (allowing a stopover in Figi)

Our return flight from Sydney has been booked using points so it is only the flight going that is the concern.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

We need some advise on our flight to Auckland next January. We will be flying from the west coast of the US (using points to get that far) and then have the following options:

Our return flight from Sydney has been booked using points so it is only the flight going that is the concern.

First preference would be a direct flight with Air NZ from San Francisco/LA to Auckland, unless you want to include some land content in Brisbane or Fiji. Air Pacific is not as good as Air NZ or Qantas.

My preference is Air New Zealand. Great staff, food okay, better safety record that Qantas. Also if you belong to United Red Carpet club you will have access to ANZ lounge in Los Angeles. More flights out of LAX daily than SFO.

My preference is Air New Zealand. Great staff, food okay, better safety record that Qantas. Also if you belong to United Red Carpet club you will have access to ANZ lounge in Los Angeles. More flights out of LAX daily than SFO.

Air NZ don't have a better safety record in terms of fatalities than Qantas. Qantas have appauling customer service.

Air NZ don't have a better safety record in terms of fatalities than Qantas. Qantas have appauling customer service.

I'm surprised that you say Qantas has appalling customer service.

Is it because Qantas management has cut services/staff, such as self service check in at airports, or actual staff service levels?

I'm surprised that you say Qantas has appalling customer service.

Is it because Qantas management has cut services/staff, such as self service check in at airports, or actual staff service levels?

I can only comment on my experiences flying with them and their service sub-par compared to the Middle Eastern airlines, Singapore Airlines. Even Air New Zealand was better.

I would opt for the direct flight with Air New Zealand unless you really wanted to break your journey...I have always found them more than OK. Nadi in Fiji is nothing to write home about if you are only stopping over one night.

That said...the only good thing about a plane is when it is delivering me to a cruise ship.

Sue

I can only comment on my experiences flying with them and their service sub-par compared to the Middle Eastern airlines, Singapore Airlines. Even Air New Zealand was better.

Thanks for your response. I guess it depends which airlines you compare them with. I was so happy to be on Qantas from JFK to Sydney last October, I felt like hugging the friendly Aussie stewards!

BTW I like Air NZ also. On my last flight with Air NZ, they upgraded everyone, who had travelled from US/Canada, who were delayed 6 hours, to business class, for the final leg!

I would take the direct flight from Air NZ. It is approx. 13 hours direct flight time from LAX.

The Airport in Auckland is about 30mins away from where the cruise ships dock, I would suggest a central City Hotel (easy to get to ship from central city) and some sight seeing around Auckland before you cruise.

Enjoy your visit :)

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/introduction/city/default.asp

http://www.aucklandtourism.co.nz/

We had no choice for Auckland, sold out for the date for our Jan 4,2013 trip. We had to do Air Pacific to Figi, whic h we booked and are going a little earlier

and spending a couple of days there and then going on to Auckland. We come back to LAX on Qantas. We fly from Asheville, NC to LAX Delta with reward points, going first class. Glad we booked as soon as the date opened up, as the pricing is just going up and up. We are stayig at the Hilton at the dock in Auckland.

Air NZ every time! It's a direct flight apart from anything else so unless you plan to spend some time in Brisbane or Fiji its way more convenient. Also, as noted, Air NZ has a Vancouver/Auckland direct service which may be more convenient for a Canadian. I'm sorry to say that Qantas no longer offers the quality experience we could once rely on. Expensive too. Don't even think about Air Pacific.

Thanks to all for your comments. All are much appreciated. It now appears that we will try to book with Air New Zealand out of Los Angeles or San Francisco - dependant on connection times from Toronto. These locations save time over leaving from Vancouver.

Archived