Why do people care?

It was very enjoyable to be on an Immersion cruise our of Panama. The Central and Southamericans really enjoy being nicely dressed for dinner.

Contrary to what other posters have written, we still find the MDR as a nice restaurant a shore.

I will not even begin to mention the lack of tablemanners some people have, and which most often matches the clothing they wear for dinner.

It has been said a thousand times and I will say it again. It is NOT a rule! Its merely a suggestion!

Yes, it is a "suggestion."

What I don't understand, however, is the mindset of those who choose to ignore the "suggestion."

1. They know what RCCL is requesting for formal night.

2. They see the great majority of folks entering the dining room dressed

according to the "suggestion" or close to it.

3. They know there are alternate dining options.

4. They still choose to enter the MDR.

I don't care about the person who is still dressed nicely and neatly. I'm talking about the extemes... shorts, men's undershirts (yes, I have seen that), baseball caps, etc..

Common sense, simply courtesy and respect for others would seem to dictate an alternate eating place.

I guess, however, that simply courtesy and respect for others is slowly fading into the sunset!:(

I don't care about the person who is still dressed nicely and neatly. I'm talking about the extemes... shorts, men's undershirts (yes, I have seen that), baseball caps, etc..

Common sense, simply courtesy and respect for others would seem to dictate an alternate eating place.

I guess, however, that simply courtesy and respect for others is slowly fading into the sunset!:(

I cannot argue that at all. You make very valid points :) Speaking from a guys standpoint. I understand that not everyone owns a suit. I dont own one myself. I also understand not everyone wants to hire a tux. While I love dressing like that occasionally and always have on my cruises, Im going to scale down a little on this cruise and go to specialty dining on formal nights. I will still be wearing dress slacks, long sleeve dress shirt and a tie. IMHO, while that is in no way "formal" I feel its appropriate for the MDR but thats JMHO.

The "extremes" that you mention however, are just slobs IMO and are only looking out for #1 and seeing what they can get away with. Its their vacation and they paid good money so they feel the suggestions dont apply to them. I just try and ignore them the best I can. I would certainly hope that anyone in an undershirt would be turned away though but I guess that varies from ship to ship.

The most hated cruiser on CC:

Doesnt wear a tie or jacket on formal night, smuggles alcohol on board, and uses a birth certificate instead of a passport.

Well, almost. The most hated is someone who tries to smuggle a starfish in their shower. ;)

Lo and behold my DH's dress shoes got left behind. I'm talking about the black tie-up dress shoes that he typically wears to the MDR every night with khaki's and some type of either polo or caribbean shirt. The only shoes he had were flip flops and Nike runners. He wore his flip flops to the MDR every night for 14 nights and as far as we know, no one even noticed! He loved every minute of it!

WOW! My husband did the exact same thing (those men!) on our very first cruise, one we had planned for 2 years! He also said he would wear his sandles, which were dark with black socks. I was so upset I cried, since I thought they would throw us out of the MDR. (Which of course, now I have learned won't happen.) BUT he told our room steward the problem and the room steward called the "tuxedo man" who happened to have dress shoes he allowed my husband to use on both formal nights without charge. So should this happen to anyone out there..check with the tuxedo person on board or your room steward...never know, they may be able to help!

What I have noticed is that people seem to think of the MDR as a "formal" environment, but it's really not. It's crowded, noisy, the food is mediocre and it feels more like a family restaurant than a place you would dress up for if you were at home...on some nights the waiters sing and dance and people stand on chairs waving their dirty napkins around over their heads....Seriously, does that sound "formal"?

Well stated valid points. I agree.

Marked by a lack of good breeding

I've always said certain people just shouldn't breed!

Quite frankly, I can't tell you what people wear at formal night as DH and I have never been to one. As he hates suits and I have a difficult time in high heels due to the amount of time I spend in Army boots at work, we didn't want to dress up and as to avoid spoiling the moment for folks that like to dress, we simply didn't go. Each time, our table mates asked us why we didn't come. We said we didn't like to get dressed up. They said what we were wearing the other nights would have been acceptable.

I still don't know. Maybe we will test the waters on our short Bahamas cruise and try to dress up without the tux and ball gown and see how it goes.

It actually depends on where you are wearing it. It is possible for them to be trapped in machinary which is why in some positions wearing one would never be allowed. Over the past couple of years is has been highly recommended that physicians no longer wear them because of things that they touch. They have been identified as a source of infection transmission in hospitals.

Obviously, those examples have nothing to do with formal night on cruise ships but there are, in fact, issues with ties that are not so trival.

I occassionally need to wear one for work. It is a clip on :eek:. That way when someone wants to strangle me with it, it will easily slip off in their hand!

I've always said certain people just shouldn't breed!

Quite frankly, I can't tell you what people wear at formal night as DH and I have never been to one. As he hates suits and I have a difficult time in high heels due to the amount of time I spend in Army boots at work, we didn't want to dress up and as to avoid spoiling the moment for folks that like to dress, we simply didn't go. Each time, our table mates asked us why we didn't come. We said we didn't like to get dressed up. They said what we were wearing the other nights would have been acceptable.

I still don't know. Maybe we will test the waters on our short Bahamas cruise and try to dress up without the tux and ball gown and see how it goes.

The short Bahama cruises are much more relaxed than longer cruises. Even with that - there are some really cute flats or low heels that will go nicely with a sparkly top and dressy skirt or slacks for you. DH did wear a suit (he is to the point where he has gotten rid of all but one suit) on formal night. A long sleeved shirt and dark slacks is a good choice for men. (My dress heels have gotten lower as I've gotten older.)

The short Bahama cruises are much more relaxed than longer cruises. Even with that - there are some really cute flats or low heels that will go nicely with a sparkly top and dressy skirt or slacks for you. DH did wear a suit (he is to the point where he has gotten rid of all but one suit) on formal night. A long sleeved shirt and dark slacks is a good choice for men. (My dress heels have gotten lower as I've gotten older.)

I have sparkly tops, dress slacks, flats, 2" heels, 3" heels. I even have some 4" platforms that I am trying to balance in before our 2013 cruise. But sparkly tops and dress slacks aren't "formal". That is what I wear other nights. :cool:

For everyone who's insisting that non-formal people eat elsewhere on formal night -- whose wishes should I follow, your's or my waiter's?

True story, on a transatlantic cruise our waiter asked us not to skip formal night, and told us we could just wear the same as we'd been wearing every other night. (I have no idea why -- was he afraid we wouldn't tip him for the evenings we ate in WJ?) Regardless, he asked so nicely we couldn't say no.

I suppose some people were appalled by our casual dresses and the guys' slacks-minus-jacket. But I cared more about the opinion of my waiter than the opinion of folks I probably wouldn't be talking to. :)

It makes me laugh that there are so many discussions about whether or not formal wear is required on formal nights when people can't even agree on what formal wear is!!!

Can't we all agree to mind our own business, dress as we like, to not judge books by their covers and to enjoy our cruise vacations in whatever manner that pleases us and doesn't hurt others?

I have sparkly tops, dress slacks, flats, 2" heels, 3" heels. I even have some 4" platforms that I am trying to balance in before our 2013 cruise. But sparkly tops and dress slacks aren't "formal". That is what I wear other nights. :cool:

On the RCCL website they mention cocktail dresses for women as proper attire for formal night. From what I've seen of the cocktail dresses some girls and women choose to wear - a great top - Silk, sparkly, embroidred, etc. with great dress slacks or skirt looks 20 times better. :eek:

IMHO what bugs many of us are the number of people we encounter who just don't care to even try to present themselves well at dinner. At least take off the danged baseball cap. The deal as to why it is a suggestion - because it is stated in several places that it is formal night and the suggestion is for people who grew up in a barn and have no clue as to what formal might mean.

Your waiters work for tips and are concerned about surveys - of course if you say all you have to wear is a potato sack and flip flops you will be told that is wonderful, you'll fit right in.

It makes me laugh that there are so many discussions about whether or not formal wear is required on formal nights when people can't even agree on what formal wear is!!!

Can't we all agree to mind our own business, dress as we like, to not judge books by their covers and to enjoy our cruise vacations in whatever manner that pleases us and doesn't hurt others?

TOTALLY AGREE! Some just insist that they must chastise others who don't dress the same as they do. Give it a rest.

You see, I think this kind of statement is part of the problem. You consider shorts, men's undershirts, baseball caps, etc. as "extremes". But who is to define what is "extreme"? There are people that think shorts are perfectly acceptable. Is their definition of "extreme" wrong?

I just think it's a slippery slope when people say, "I don't care what anyone wears as long as they don't wear _________."

Not to be glib, but I don't care what other people wear in the dining room and I'm starting to not care what they write about it on CC:p
Perfect!

Agree Rick. I believe in showing a little respect for our fellow guests. Unfortunately many today do not and we see it more and more in today's society.
Oh please. Your are speaking for yourself. As most others have said, we don't care what others wear.

BTW, DW and I like dressing up but we don't do it to respect you.

2 issues no one has brought up . First airlines now charge for extra bags. Many need to travel light. Formal clothes are the first to go.

Second, I believe cruise lines would have done away with formal nights if there wasn't the opportunity to sell lots of formal pictures.

Huge profits on those posed pictures. Can't see them doing away with this money maker any time soon.

monkey_in_tuxedo_5i4g.jpg.1847cd0430bea3a5c427ca991c175660.jpg

Perfect!

Oh please. Your are speaking for yourself. As most others have said, we don't care what others wear.

BTW, DW and I like dressing up but we don't do it to respect you.

2 issues no one has brought up . First airlines now charge for extra bags. Many need to travel light. Formal clothes are the first to go.

Second, I believe cruise lines would have done away with formal nights if there wasn't the opportunity to sell lots of formal pictures.

Huge profits on those posed pictures. Can't see them doing away with this money maker any time soon.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

I believe in following the suggested dress code but we live in a world today where people only think of themselves. This thread is proof of that. I don't care what others wear either but I give the ones that want to enjoy the atmosphere of a formal environment the chance to enjoy it without it looking like a high school cafeteria.

You see, I think this kind of statement is part of the problem. You consider shorts, men's undershirts, baseball caps, etc. as "extremes". But who is to define what is "extreme"? There are people that think shorts are perfectly acceptable. Is their definition of "extreme" wrong?

The cruise lines have a suggested dress code. Some believe it's to sell photos, some believe it's a throw back to the the "good old days". I believe that it's an effort to create an ambiance in the dining room that many will enjoy and gives a structured approach to the dress for the particular evening. It's only a suggested dress and so people are at liberty to follow the suggestion or dress as they please. However, when the suggestion is formal and someone shows up in shorts, undershirt and a baseball cap, I'm with yogimax, that's extreme in my opinion. We all have our definitions of what is extreme, what is acceptable etc, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because you may disagree doesn't mean that either of you are wrong, it's an opinion, not a fact.

As for someone showing up on formal night in shorts, undershirt and baseball cap, I don't think they would believe it to be extreme, just acceptable in their opinion.

First airlines now charge for extra bags. Many need to travel light. Formal clothes are the first to go.

We just got back from Adventure. We packed formal, smart casual, casual clothes and two pairs of western boots for me to wear. It cost an additional $50, each way, for two checked bags. Compared to the price of the total cruise, it was a drop in the ocean. Less than three buckets of beer.

We just got back from Adventure. We packed formal, smart casual, casual clothes and two pairs of western boots for me to wear. It cost an additional $50, each way, for two checked bags. Compared to the price of the total cruise, it was a drop in the ocean. Less than three buckets of beer.

You wear cowboy boots on a cruise?? Some people might call that extreme...especially if you wear them on formal night. :rolleyes:

You wear cowboy boots on a cruise?? Some people might call that extreme...especially if you wear them on formal night. :rolleyes:

You bet I wear them on formal night, black eel skin. If some folks think that 's extreme, that's OK, because quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.:rolleyes:

You bet I wear them on formal night, black eel skin. If some folks think that 's extreme, that's OK, because quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.:rolleyes:

So apparently, it's the material that something is made of that changes it from work clothing to formal wear! Hmmmm, so black eel skin baseball caps and flip flops would be OK?? :p

Archived