Costa Maya CANCELLED from our March 2013 out of Galveston????

We were so disappointed with the Princess decision to cancel the port of Costa Maya on their Galveston itinerary. The 4-port itinerary made it stand out from the rest- also, we have been to Mahajual, and it was our favorite stop of that cruise. Now we will be considering Carnival or RC for our winter cruise.

We usually cruise on Royal Caribbean so booking Princess and giving up our perks was a huge deal for us. We're now leaning toward the Carnival Magic.

Well, I think we are anyway. I seem to change my mind weekly. We'll definitely not stick with the Crown Princess. We've only been on one Carnival cruise and that was on the Ecstasy out of Galveston for a quick, cheap 5 day.

The pool deck was really tiny and no one seem to clean the tables which were always piled high with dirty dishes. The crew seemed tired, too, but all it all, we had a pretty good time as we were with really close friends that we hadn't seen in quite some time. Our grandchildren saw the Carnival Magic in port when we were on the Mariner with them. They thought the water slide looked like great fun. I wish I could find someone that sailed with elementary aged children to tell me more about it. Both RCI and Carnival go to Jamaica for the Christmas itinerary. We're tied into a Christmas cruise as that's when our children have vacation time. Sure wish we could all fly into Florida ... that would solve this dilemma. And, here I thought we had hit the jackpot with Princess and Costa Maya!

Costa Maya is just a shopping mall unless you get yourself a mile or so away to the true fishing village of Majahual. You aren't missing much to miss Costa Maya as a port, IMO.

Just saw your post and could not disagree more. There are wonderful all day inclusives with great food and peaceful beaches and excellent staff. We have been there many times pre and post Dean. The "true fishing village" was wiped out in Dean and replaced with a malecon (main street) with more touristy places.

While we loved the original "village" there are still many more things to do. I would go many times over.

Something is going on with several lines cancelling this port.

Just saw your post and could not disagree more. There are wonderful all day inclusives with great food and peaceful beaches and excellent staff. We have been there many times pre and post Dean. The "true fishing village" was wiped out in Dean and replaced with a malecon (main street) with more touristy places.

While we loved the original "village" there are still many more things to do. I would go many times over.

Something is going on with several lines cancelling this port.

We also love Costa Maya. We’ve only been there once. We really enjoyed the Fishing Village of Majahual. Fantastic prices on drinks. We are disappointed we can’t find a Cruise that includes Costa Maya. We too wonder why Costa Maya is being dropped.

After Grand Princess left Galveston I became desparate and booked my first Carnival cruise from Galveston. I was pleasently surprised.

Here's my post crisue review. It was a seven day on Conquest, probably not significantly different from Magic.

Conquest – Impressions of a 1st time Carnival cruiser

The following represent impressions and observations, sans IMHO .

The Good:

The ship is in excellent condition, spit and polish from bow to stern. Décor is attractive. The signature Impressionist theme carried throughout the ship.

The swimming pools (salt water) have large, hot, Jacuzzis. Aft pool adults only.

Excellent musical review company. Talent (both voice and dancing), choreography, production qualities, and originality far and away the best I’ve seen. Surprisingly, the Toulouse Lautrec theatre always had an abundance of empty seats.

Afternoon Tea. Very good variety of offerings. Scones quite good, but no strawberry jam.

Lido Buffet large with a variety of choices and lines, easily accommodated a full ship. “The Grill” offers a good variety of deli sandwiches with prompt service.

Service, both dining and cabin, are first rate. Food in MDR served promptly and hot. Perfect cabin stewards: out when I was in and in, and in when I was out.

The bad:

Galveston embarkation, at 11:00AM, was a mass of humanity. Lines 1 ½ hour long.

Disembarkation worse. Halls and stairways jam packed for “Self Assist”. Again, 1 ½ hours in lines to exit ship for second group called.

Machines: coffee, juice, ice, etc, in Lido Buffet are not serviced often enough. The flip side is there are a lot of machines.

The ship is difficult to navigate. There are frequent dead ends with no posted directions. Very frustrating.

The swimming pools are too small. Only 3’8” deep, and just six or seven strokes from end to end.

Overall rating a 9 out of 10!

I stand corrected. In addition to Disney and Carnival stopping at Costa Maya, so does Holland America, Norwegian and Oceania Cruises.

I think Disney is the only one out of Galveston on a 7 day cruise.

gvre---Hi Rick and Debby---bummer to get Costa Maya cnx'ed. We were looking at this itinerary for a b2b vacation not too far from home and agree that another at sea day isn't what we'd care to do---enjoyed meeting you on the Ocean Princess a few months ago---went to the Galapagos in April and the snorkeling was dreadful, guess we got spoiled by Tahiti---Stay well. John and Janie

Yesterday I booked Carnival Magic as a form of protest. Exact same itinerary as Crown.:D

Before you ask why book the same cruise ports, I love to snorkel and the W. Caribbean is world class. Can't get enough of that wonderful stuff.

P.S. I forgot how convoluted Carnival's web site is for booked guests. You have to jump from page to page with no clear direction. Far removed from Cruise Personalizer that puts everything about your booking in one location.

Could this cancellation have anything to do with the problems in Mexico with the drug cartels? Acapulco & Puerto Vallarta have seen violence and have been taken off of some itineraries. Maybe they know something we don't.

Cozumel, Costa Maya are considered to be Caribbean ports and are very safe.

The ports on the Mexican Riviera side are the ones with all of the drug problems. A local in Mahahual, Costa Maya told me that he thought it had something to do with a disagreement over port taxes which is the most explanation yet. It can't be fuel as Costa Maya is situated between Cozumel and Belize City. It's certainly not a safety issue as Disney continues to stop there. We've gone for years and were impressed before they built that fabulous new cruise port. We love the ruins, the all-inclusives, the gorgeous beaches, good food, friendly people, snorkeling, etc. We took our grandchildren last Christmas. We're talking about another holiday cruise. The first thing they asked was "can we go back to that huge pool?" I had to laugh about canceling Princess in protest. We will also cancel. It's going to cost us some big money. We were originally booked on RCI, however, when I saw Princess with the 4 port schedule, we switched. Now RCi is up $500 pp which is going to run us almost $3000. I'm sure the prices on the Carnival Magic have also gone up. Thank goodness I don't know where they started. The odd thing is that all of the ships out of Galveston still have lots and lots of empty staterooms. You'd think they'd come down just a bit ...

I just got off the Mariner out of Galveston and while it was a nice cruise, would not do it again. I am waiting for the Crown or CB for my next Galveston cruise. Have been on the CB and it was a great ship, but then we will cruise for the ship and not those ports. When I'm ready to cruise for ports, we're heading to Europe or South America. I mean how many port days do you need to spend at the beach?? Just my opinion:)

We were on the Magic in March and loved it. Sorry you didn't. We have sailed Princess as well.

I just got off the Mariner out of Galveston and while it was a nice cruise, would not do it again. I am waiting for the Crown or CB for my next Galveston cruise. Have been on the CB and it was a great ship, but then we will cruise for the ship and not those ports. When I'm ready to cruise for ports, we're heading to Europe or South America. I mean how many port days do you need to spend at the beach?? Just my opinion:)

We were on the Magic in March and loved it. Sorry you didn't. We have sailed Princess as well.

:confused: She said Mariner, not Magic.

In any case, not every cruise line appeals to every person. That's why they all stay in business :)

Two really good friends just cruised the Magic out of Galveston and could not say enough good things. I think we will try it next year and see for ourselves. It has been 15 years since we were last on Carnival.

Especially if one is that boring Princess Island. I would cancel. Maybe if enough do that, Princess will get the message.They already leave every port by 5pm so you can never have dinner on an island.A good compromise would be for the ship to stay in one of these ports until 10pm, but they are not doing that.

Oceana, although more expensive, touts themselves as a cruise line that stays late in ports, which is starting to look very appealing. actually the onlt Carribean crusie that looks at all worthwile is the 10 day eastern that goes to st Lucia.

Just off the Star to Hawaii and loved it but would not want that many sea days anytime soon.Why should you have to go to Europe to have a decent itinary?

Why should you have to go to Europe to have a decent itinary?

And have you compared Princess's European prices to other cruiselines, like Celebrity? Ouch! :eek: I'd like to do Princess's Baltic itinerary, but it's just tooo expensive compared to others.

I enjoy port days to places I have already visited, because the ship isn't crowded and I can stay on it and really enjoy the laid back activities plus there are usually port day spa specials.

... I mean how many port days do you need to spend at the beach?? Just my opinion:)

There are so many more things to do and see in the Caribbean than the beaches. Sure, spend a few days at the beach, but there are rain forests to explore, ruins to visit etc... There's no reason to spend all your time laying around on a beach when there is so much more to do.

Archived