Booked 10 months out and must pay tips?

Booked a cruise 10 months out, while onboard, and was told no early or late dining times available...My Time only, so must pay tips up front. Seems to be getting harder and harder to request a set dining time, whether it be early OR late when booking a cruise.

After I returned home and received new Crown and Anchor status, as instructed, I called RCCI to take advantage of the balcony discount on the future cruise. While on the phone, I asked the customer service rep if we could be put on the wait list for late dining and it seemed to be no problem with him. (although when booking the cruise onboard, the Cruise Ambassador's attitude was more or less...this is how it's going to be...you have My Time Dining, so all tips must be paid in advance.) I asked the customer service rep on the phone when would we be informed if we actually receive the late dinning time and he said, 'as early as tomorrow'. And....we are still 10 months out.....hmmmm. I asked if we are contacted and told we will have late dining, can we remove the tips from our bill and he said, 'Why would you want to do that?'

I feel like someone is playing games. If that's the case, then just charge everyone tips upfront and quit playing the dining time game!

I'm wondering if there is a particular loyalty ambassador who is pushing MTD, or if RCI prefers people to book MTD and are encouraging agents to go that way. Personally I would really think twice about even booking a cruise if I was being forced into MTD. It's jsut not for me.

Booked a cruise 10 months out, while onboard, and was told no early or late dining times available...My Time only, so must pay tips up front. Seems to be getting harder and harder to request a set dining time, whether it be early OR late when booking a cruise.

After I returned home and received new Crown and Anchor status, as instructed, I called RCCI to take advantage of the balcony discount on the future cruise. While on the phone, I asked the customer service rep if we could be put on the wait list for late dining and it seemed to be no problem with him. (although when booking the cruise onboard, the Cruise Ambassador's attitude was more or less...this is how it's going to be...you have My Time Dining, so all tips must be paid in advance.) I asked the customer service rep on the phone when would we be informed if we actually receive the late dinning time and he said, 'as early as tomorrow'. And....we are still 10 months out.....hmmmm. I asked if we are contacted and told we will have late dining, can we remove the tips from our bill and he said, 'Why would you want to do that?'

I feel like someone is playing games. If that's the case, then just charge everyone tips upfront and quit playing the dining time game!

You haven't actually paid for your gratuities because you haven't made Final Payment. They have just be added to your Confirmation Invoice.

Whenever you are assigned MTD, gratuities are automatically added to your invoice.

If you get switched to Second Seating, you can ask for the gratuities to be removed from your final Confirmation Invoice prior to making final payment.

I'm wondering if there is a particular loyalty ambassador who is pushing MTD, or if RCI prefers people to book MTD and are encouraging agents to go that way. Personally I would really think twice about even booking a cruise if I was being forced into MTD. It's jsut not for me.

We have been thinking twice about this cruise because of that, especially after my phone call with RCCI the other day.

We just did a B2B. First week we had early dining and had no complaints what so ever...great service, wonderful food. Second week we elected to have My Time Dining so we weren't tied to a schedule. We've done My Time Dining before and loved it, but our experience the first night of our second week was horrible. So horrible we went to complain. In no time at all, we were given a table for two, dining time of choice in the center of the dining room, first level. Upon meeting our wait staff the second night and our conversation as to why we weren't at that table the night before, they didn't seem surprised by our complaints.

Because of our experience and our conversation with our wait staff the second night, I will take late dining over My Time Dining anytime!

You haven't actually paid for your gratuities because you haven't made Final Payment. They have just be added to your Confirmation Invoice.

Whenever you are assigned MTD, gratuities are automatically added to your invoice.

If you get switched to Second Seating, you can ask for the gratuities to be removed from your final Confirmation Invoice prior to making final payment.

I am aware of that. I did talk with the customer service rep about that and that is when he asked me why I would want to do that? I felt he, too, was trying to push the prepaid tips even if I am changed to late dining. I have no problem at all with tipping, but I do have a problem with they way they are going about it.

We booked 6 months out and were told we had to choose MTD and pay gratuities in advance. We reserved 6:30pm each night.

Upon arrival, we checked in with the maitre'd and were told we would need to dine at 6pm if we wanted all 7 in our party to sit together. We also asked for window seating.

It seems they were pushing MTD pax into what was actually first and second seating schedules.

I think it's a scam to get ppl to pay gratuities up front, and to conform to the schedule for first and second dining. Maybe to many ppl were skipping out on tips?

When we booked our Oasis cruise during the WOW sale last October, we were told that both dining times were full and our only option was MTD. We were waitlisted for late dining (wouldn't work for us as we have 5 year old twins and are used to eating early) and there was no waitlist available for early dining. In January, our TA somehow got us into early dining. Since then someone posted on the roll call that they had just booked and had no problem getting early dining. So just keep trying I guess. Good luck!

We booked 6 months out and were told we had to choose MTD and pay gratuities in advance. We reserved 6:30pm each night.

Upon arrival, we checked in with the maitre'd and were told we would need to dine at 6pm if we wanted all 7 in our party to sit together. We also asked for window seating.

It seems they were pushing MTD pax into what was actually first and second seating schedules.

I think it's a scam to get ppl to pay gratuities up front, and to conform to the schedule for first and second dining. Maybe to many ppl were skipping out on tips?

My thoughts as well.....many skipping out on tips.

On our last (B2B) cruise, we called RCCI to add My Time Dining a few months prior to our sailing date, then went online to make our reservations. Ha ha...what a joke...they had no problem taking our money, but when I went online that same to make my reservations we only had 6:00 and 8:30 to pick from EVERY night. Called them to complain and they said, 'sorry'....it is what it is; therefore, I was frustrated before I even set sail.

Once on board, I went to the dining room attendant and asked to be changed....'Oh, no problem...when would you like to dine?' Why frustrate us so much ahead of time, then it's no problem taking care of the problem? Yeah, I know....they hold so many reservations for those who can't make reservations ahead of time. My answer to that....then don't take our money ahead of time!

When we booked our Oasis cruise during the WOW sale last October, we were told that both dining times were full and our only option was MTD. We were waitlisted for late dining (wouldn't work for us as we have 5 year old twins and are used to eating early) and there was no waitlist available for early dining. In January, our TA somehow got us into early dining. Since then someone posted on the roll call that they had just booked and had no problem getting early dining. So just keep trying I guess. Good luck!

It really is frustrating in so many ways. Glad it worked out for you.

It's becoming more and more common to NOT have any traditional slots left...until you board the ship....

They really want you to pre-pay the tips...that's the only conclusion one can come to....as the traditional times usually are wide-open upon boarding day.

Waitlist yourself for a traditional time...either one....if you don't want to pre-pay the tips.

There is a consequence to this pre-paid tips policy...some people who rarely or never go to the MDR may book early or late dining to avoid pre-paid gratuities. This results in empty seats. We like to meet new people but for the last couple of yrs when we request a large table there is a large table with only one other couple sitting there. There could be other reasons for the empty seats, but it has really changed the cruising experience for us.

we had second seating dining on the adventure for our b2b deck 3 dining room and table next to captains. Anthony and Wilmar took excellent care of us. We wanted to be seated in their area for our second week and they moved a two top in their section. The big table next to us didn't have a couple show up and the second nite the table guests ask us to join them. we had a blast. The food was excellent and service the best we have ever had.

When we came home we switched our allure cruise and independence cruise for another b2b on the adventure next february and bringing friends.

I also talked to the LA onboard as i purchased some more next cruise certificates. I thought he was very good...not quite as great as Cindy on the Allure but good and thorough. It seemed our particular two weeks everyone was using mtd for some reason. Of course the first night of our first week was the Super Bowl and i took a break and went in to meet our waiters and dining mates. just one couple was at our big table as they weren't into the game. Second week had valentines and many during our dining time were missing. Portofinos only holds so many so have no idea where everyone was.

Our waiters worked hard and deserved far more than what our tip amount was and the extra cash we gave them. Hopefully the WOW certificates we gave them helped out some.

I don't have a easy solution to the tipping. If you include it in the price tho where is the incentive to get good service? for the remote chance you might get a few bucks from the guest? Just not sure what the answer is.

This whole thing is very puzzeling.:confused:

I had been reading threads about how hard it was to get traditional dining and many felt forced into MTD. I was concerned when booking because DH cannot eat late and we wanted early seating. I booked in the middle of Feb. for Oct. and to my suprise, got exactly what we wanted with no problem.

Even though we were fortunate to get what we wanted, it would be nice to know what is going on.

I wish they would just include tips in the cruise price , like the high dollar cruise lines, as you are going to pay them anyhow..I like it when these are not added to my sea pass acct anyway...

I prefer them added to my seapass account so that they come out of my OBC.

There is a consequence to this pre-paid tips policy...some people who rarely or never go to the MDR may book early or late dining to avoid pre-paid gratuities. This results in empty seats. We like to meet new people but for the last couple of yrs when we request a large table there is a large table with only one other couple sitting there. There could be other reasons for the empty seats, but it has really changed the cruising experience for us.

My first thought here would be to charge tips to those who request a set dining time, which would solve the problem of taking a set dining time to avoid tips, which in turn takes a set dining time away from someone who really wants it? I can see why they charge tips to My Time Dining, since the wait staff do not always have the same guests to serve each night. Or just be like Carnival (?) and automatically charge tips to everyone's onboard account, regardless. This might stop the nonsense of lack of dining time options with RCCI. Since the dining experience for many can be the highlight of the trip, the frustration surrounding this is going to drive guests away from RCCI. Cruising is not what it used to be....in so many ways!

I wish they would just include tips in the cruise price , like the high dollar cruise lines, as you are going to pay them anyhow..I like it when these are not added to my sea pass acct anyway...

Nicely stated. We have more cruises 37 on RCL and actually on a B2B now on the Crown Princess. When I booked, they asked what kind of dining did I want. There was no prepaying of anything.... like you said, it will be added to your account, and it made things very easy. No vouchers delivered, no forms to fill out. I am discovering some other very easier ways things are handled on Princess as well. I am not knocking RCL, so don't anyone get upset, but some things are really handled much better.

I'm one of those that would just prefer the automatically add the tips...and we use the MDR, early seating, just because we prefer it..rather than have one of our group, chew someone's arm off waiting until 8:30 or later to eat...or eat in the WJ, then eat in the MDR and waddle off the ship with 10 extra pounds...LOL.

Archived