Ensenada Bus to San Diego - Your Experiences

MAXII

Would you Bus it from Ensenada to San Diego?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Would you Bus it from Ensenada to San Diego?

• Yes - I Have Done This Trip Before
    • Yes - Though I Have Never Done This Trip
    • No - I Have Done This Trip Before
    • No - Though I have not Done This Trip Before

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the question. We too had to take our luggage from the cargo hold of the bus to take across the border and go through inspection. My comment was pertaining to what I did for a carry on. Many times a woman will carry a regular sized carry on and a large purse. There is a good possibility that there will be no room for that much on the bus. If one has a regular sized carry on that is allowed in the airports, it just may be too large to carry onto the bus as there is so little storage space on most of the buses. I will not allow my carry on out of my sight even to put it in the cargo hold of the bus. That passport is much to precious to be allowed out of my sight, hence the small tote bag to use as a carry on for the bus. I will not carry a purse in this instance. With one small carry on and no purse, I have a free hand if I need it and I can push/pull my large checked suitcase through the border check without a problem. Some of the carry on luggage these days are even too large for the smaller airplanes and must be checked at the door before boarding the plane. So I always try to use a small tote as my carry on, whether going on a bus or a airplane. This is just my own personal experience, but it is a very helpful hint if you are having to make the trip up from Ensenada.

Karon

Just read Sue&Steve April 18

Several years ago we took this cruise.When we got to the border they ordered us to remove all our luggage too.That was terrible because we were older and it was hard to handle. We had several suitcases and it was hot. When we finally got to the airport they didn't have our ticket for the trip home what a nightmare! I voted no.

Joann and Bob

Hello there:)

Sorry to put a bit of a dampener on this discussion but we have just returned (5 April) from an amazing B2B cruise on the Century that ended in Ensenada.

We had the misfortune to be on bus 47 with a driver that got lost constantly' date=' meaning our journey from Ensenada to our hotel in San Diego took 8 hours:eek: At NO POINT after we left the ship did anyone from Celebrity enter our bus to facilitate the border crossing. In a FAQ delivered to our stateroom we had been assured that we would be guided through the border crossing by Celebrity personnel.

Unfortunately customs decided that our bus had to unload ALL luggage and with no assistance available, shlep it into the customs hall, through security and out the other end......out again on the street, no bus, no one to tell us where to go to find the bus. We asked a few local people and one was kind enough to tell us the bus was around the corner (up a slope of course:rolleyes:) and behind McDonalds. Many people on our bus were elderly and unable to carry their suitcases and carry-ons without help. After finding the bus and boarding, we were horrified when a pan-handler boarded and walked up and down demanding money ....no we didn't feel safe and secure and we have written to Mr Hanrahan to tell him so.

Our troubles didn't end there as our driver couldn't find the Sheraton Suites hotel in SD and drove round for 2 hours looking for it....Would we cruise Celebrity again? Of course, we have 3 more cruises booked and most of our problems were not down to the cruise-line....would we end a cruise in Ensenada? Not in a million years.

Ok I realise we were unlucky, friends on a different bus sailed through but who needs to rely on luck at the end of a cruise?

Just my 2 pennorth as we say over here;)

Sue [/size']

We 100% concur with Sue and Steve. We also were on Bus 47. It was the most unpleasant travel experience ever. Extremely stressful and at times, quite frightening and unnerving.

I've just mailed a detailed letter to Dan Hanrahan CEO of Celebrity Miami, with a copy to the Managing Director of Celebrity UK. I attached a copy to each of the FAQ Ensenada to San Diego that all passengers received. It wasn't worth the paper it was printed on! Now looking forward to receiving their comments!

Of course, we know that the US border crossing inspection is out of Celebrity's control, but the buses and drivers were third class or lower. That is in their control and it was disgraceful. Our driver lost his way many times and at one point, we found ourselves on the way back to Ensenada! We had gone round in a circle.

When we arrived in San Diego, we were also dropped off at the wrong hotel, resulting in a group of us having to walk at least a block with all luggage.

We have cruised with Celebrity many times and are due to again in August. But would we recommend Hawaii/Ensenada? - absolutely not. Was our bus, in particular, unlucky? I don't think so. I've since read, and heard of similar experiences on other buses on that day.

It's a great shame, that after such a great cruise, our final memories are of that disastrous bus journey.

Rita

Is it possible to disembark in San Diego so one does not have to go to Mexico?

The Solstice will embark in Seattle and disembark in Mexico.

Perhaps is you die:eek::eek:...otherwise, you will not be allowed to!

BILL

And please understand that you cannot embark in San Diego May 7th, 2013. San Diego is the first port of call, so there is that temptation. You've got to bus from San Diego to Ensenada on May 6th to board, and then cruise back to San Diego and then continue the Wine cruise.

David

That's interesting...never having made this transfer before' date=' and coming from the UK, I have to say I don't know my Tijuana from my elbow so had no idea;) Our driver got lost constantly and when we arrived at the border there was another Celebrity bus ahead of us so I just assumed we were at the right place.

[/size']

Karon, that is exactly what I did, then they told us we had to take ALL our checked luggage off the bus:(

Sue

Sue, we did go through the border crossing at Tijuana - I have a photo to prove it taken just before we crossed into the US. However, No 6 on the sheet marked Ensenada FAQ dated March 27 that we received in our stateroom, clearly begins " Our buses will be using the Otay Mesa Border Crossing into the United States. ETC. ETC."

Not sure what that proves other than you can't believe everything you read.

Rita

Sue, we did go through the border crossing at Tijuana - I have a photo to prove it taken just before we crossed into the US. However, No 6 on the sheet marked Ensenada FAQ dated March 27 that we received in our stateroom, clearly begins " Our buses will be using the Otay Mesa Border Crossing into the United States. ETC. ETC."

Not sure what that proves other than you can't believe everything you read.

Rita

It proves that your bus driver didn't know how to get to or where to he was suppose to go. Our bus, #12, crossed at Otay Mesa.

I just booked 15 day hawaii cruise on the Century for 12/6/2013. It starts and ends in San Diego. A "re-fueling" stop is made in Ensenda on day 14th and then the ship sails onto San Diego disembarking on day 15 (December 21st)

I confirmed this with 3 different X reps. I guess they decided to add the extra day to avoid all the hassles everyone was complaining about.:)

I just booked 15 day hawaii cruise on the Century for 12/6/2013. It starts and ends in San Diego. A "re-fueling" stop is made in Ensenda on day 14th and then the ship sails onto San Diego disembarking on day 15 (December 21st)

I confirmed this with 3 different X reps. I guess they decided to add the extra day to avoid all the hassles everyone was complaining about.:)

I believe that you would only have to worry about the Passenger Services Act if the cruise starts in one US city and ends in a different one. There is no problem with a round trip cruise that starts and finishes in the same city

we did go through the border crossing at Tijuana

Oue bus, Bus 41 definately went through Tijuana, shortly prior to arriving at the border.

The lady behind me was talking to her daughter on the phone & as she mentioned TJ. I looked up & saw the Tijuana Hotel. There were quite a few other buses as well in front of us.

I wrote to Dan Hanrahan CEO of Celebrity Miami and had a telephone call last night.

The lady I spoke to told me they had had quite a few letters of complaint about the transfer and might have to look at changing itineraries. She told me we would have had to visit a port in South America to comply with the law, as we embarked in Honolulu ie not a round trip.

BTW, not all buses arrived at the airport by 1.30pm.

Bus 33 ( the one with the cracked windscreen, which was taken off the road by US police) arrived at 2.30pm.The state of the bus was unacceptable, as there was also luggage in the aisles, when our table companions got on it.

Celebrity must have known that the journey would be protracted, as we were told not to book flights that left before 2pm. They booked ours, which was timed for 14.58.

Our problem was that no- one was at the airport to inform us that Terminal R ( which we had on our information sheet) was the Commuter Terminal- a 6 min journey away.

We were taken round there, by our kind driver, but other passengers on our plane ( 35 seater to LAX) were told to get on the red bus!

It proves that your bus driver didn't know how to get to or where to he was suppose to go. Our bus, #12, crossed at Otay Mesa.

Well, we certainly realised he didn't know where he was going but not to that extent. By that time, we'd all just about given up hope of ever leaving Mexico! Being a stranger in those parts (as most of the ship's passengers), at that time we didn't know the difference between Otay Mesa and Tijuana geographically. I'm learning all the time - this trip has been quite an education.

Rita

As 3418ahl mentioned the PVSA requirements for a close loop, which you are doing, is different than a one way cruise. It only requires a stop in any foreign port and the Century round trip Hawaii cruises just after our recent one way cruise were scheduled as 15 night cruises so next year itinerary is the same as this year's one as to the number of nights.

I didn't read the question carefully and voted incorrectly.I have ended two cruises in Ensenada and hated the experience both times. I only have myself to blame. The first time I swore I would never do it again and when this cruise got so cheap I decided I would try it again. I cannot say that the trip to the border ruined the cruise but getting the royal suite for free would not make me do the Ensenada to San Diego trip again. I do not have some of the horror stories the others have but it was still a nightmare. Those of you who

are considering cancelling a future cruise that has an Ensenada ending -do it. Find one that ends in San Diego.

Sue :(

If by chance you are looking at Solstice in September, 2013, take a look at Millennium (also September 2013) and you do not need to worry about Ensenada.

BILL

Solstice vs Millennium / San Diego vs Ensenada

I think your comparisons are not based on the same embarkation criteria. Solstice starts in Hawaii (US) and ends in Ensenada (Mexico) whereas Millennium starts in Vancouver (Canada) and ends in San Diego (US). The regulation prevents foreign carriers carrying ..... 'from a US Port' 'to another US Port'. There is nothing that prevents visiting a US Port. A foreign flag carrier can embarked in a US port, visit US ports, but cannot disembark in a US port.

As to the bus issue... It would appear that Celebrity chose to use less expensive bus providers.

Having driven for US tour bus companies, I can tell you that Mexican busses are not all as bad as what I saw waiting to carry us from Ensenada to San Diego April 5th. Celebrity shore staff (not ship's company) had the responsibility to inspect and approve the motor coaches as they reported to the pier. Obviously this was not done. I couldn't believe that the bus I saw on the pier with huge cracks would even be allowed on the pier. No US bus would be allowed in a San Diego port in that condition.

Few of the busses on the Ensenada pier were from the US. But many of the Mexican busses (and drivers) were as good as any from a San Diego 'barn'.

I have driven the San Diego/Ensenada run on many occasions. I have had to unload everything and everyone from my bus going south, but more often, going north. At least this time, most busses were allowed to pass through with baggage in (sealed) compartments, and only hand carried items had to be removed, carried and inspected.

As to a driver getting lost...Otay Mesa is not the easiest crossing to find for the first time!! US or Mexican driven can each be challenged by this adventure. The bus lane is poorly marked even if you read Spanish. Some Mexican drivers may only have know the Tijuana crossing. The Celebrity shore staff should have checked to see if the driver and/or the 'step on guide' knew where to go.

US drivers and busses are often equipped with GPS. Mexican busses cost less and don't always have these features. Also Mexican drivers' cell phone may not connect once they leave the Mexican cell space. There are many, many reasons to use US bus drivers and US motor coaches.

Bottom line: it appears that, contrary to Celebrity's onboard staffs' concern for Celebrity guests, that the Celebrity shore staff chose 'cheaper' vs passenger safety and comfort.

Thank you, Celebrity Century staff for a fantastic cruise (4 back to backs). So sorry you didn't get the Celebrity shore staff to support you...and us!

Eddie M

I think your comparisons are not based on the same embarkation criteria. Solstice starts in Hawaii (US) and ends in Ensenada (Mexico) whereas Millennium starts in Vancouver (Canada) and ends in San Diego (US). The regulation prevents foreign carriers carrying ..... 'from a US Port' 'to another US Port'. There is nothing that prevents visiting a US Port. A foreign flag carrier can embarked in a US port, visit US ports, but cannot disembark in a US port.

Eddie M

Bill - WI was referring to the two Pacific Coastal cruises scheduled for September 13, 2013. The Solstice departs from Seattle and ends in Ensenada, whereas the Millenium departs from Vancouver and ends a day earlier in San Diego. Both of us were originally booked on the Solstice and "jumped ship" due to the Ensenada factor.

We were on Bus 48 and had to haul all our luggage through the border at Tijuana.

No sign of any Celebrity staff.

We were going to a hotel so no real time constraints but I did feel sorry for elderly people dragging a LOT of luggage and struggling to get it on to the X-ray belt.

Our (American) driver was constantly getting phone calls from another driver - Bus 47??? - who certainly didn't know where he was or where he was going, even after he got through the border.

Great cruise but shambolic ending.

As to the bus issue... It would appear that Celebrity chose to use less expensive bus providers.

Having driven for US tour bus companies, I can tell you that Mexican busses are not all as bad as what I saw waiting to carry us from Ensenada to San Diego April 5th. Celebrity shore staff (not ship's company) had the responsibility to inspect and approve the motor coaches as they reported to the pier. Obviously this was not done. I couldn't believe that the bus I saw on the pier with huge cracks would even be allowed on the pier. No US bus would be allowed in a San Diego port in that condition.

Few of the busses on the Ensenada pier were from the US. But many of the Mexican busses (and drivers) were as good as any from a San Diego 'barn'.

I have driven the San Diego/Ensenada run on many occasions. I have had to unload everything and everyone from my bus going south, but more often, going north. At least this time, most busses were allowed to pass through with baggage in (sealed) compartments, and only hand carried items had to be removed, carried and inspected.

As to a driver getting lost...Otay Mesa is not the easiest crossing to find for the first time!! US or Mexican driven can each be challenged by this adventure. The bus lane is poorly marked even if you read Spanish. Some Mexican drivers may only have know the Tijuana crossing. The Celebrity shore staff should have checked to see if the driver and/or the 'step on guide' knew where to go.

US drivers and busses are often equipped with GPS. Mexican busses cost less and don't always have these features. Also Mexican drivers' cell phone may not connect once they leave the Mexican cell space. There are many, many reasons to use US bus drivers and US motor coaches.

Bottom line: it appears that, contrary to Celebrity's onboard staffs' concern for Celebrity guests, that the Celebrity shore staff chose 'cheaper' vs passenger safety and comfort.

Thank you, Celebrity Century staff for a fantastic cruise (4 back to backs). So sorry you didn't get the Celebrity shore staff to support you...and us!

Eddie M

Bill - WI was referring to the two Pacific Coastal cruises scheduled for September 13, 2013. The Solstice departs from Seattle and ends in Ensenada, whereas the Millenium departs from Vancouver and ends a day earlier in San Diego. Both of us were originally booked on the Solstice and "jumped ship" due to the Ensenada factor.

Yes, what she said!:):):)

BILL

In response to those of you wondering if you can disembark in San Diego rather than going on to Ensenada.... my husband and I violated the Jones Act during an Alaskan southbound cruise. We had to get off the ship prior to reaching our foreign port (Vancouver) when my mother-in-law passed away. When I went to settle our account and tell them that we were getting off and flying home, they expressed their sympathy and then told me they were adding $600 to our bill because we were in violation of the Jones Act. They explained it to me that if you are on a foreign registered ship, you must stop in a foreign port or you are in violation. If you don't mind paying the fine, I suppose there's nothing stopping you from getting off early! When we got home, we had to jump through some hoops, but were able to get the money refunded due to the circumstances.

The first class busses in Mexico are as good as first class busses anywhere. From what I have read, the busses are escorted by soldiers so you should be safe and have an uneventful trip.

I don't have any idea what, if any, arrangements the cruise company has made to facilitate the crossing, but believe they go thrugh quickly as the pax are merely in transit in Mexico.

The US side may take quite a while to clear.

Do a couple of searches, There are some posts on the subject.

We have just completed this trip and in all honesty wouldn't do it again.

There were almost 50 buses for our ship, Century. They were not first class and they were not escorted by soldiers, police or anything else! We left the parking lot at Ensenada at around 8.30am and got to San Diego airport at around 1.30pm. It takes around 2 hours to get to the border, about 20 minutes if you are as lucky as we were, some it took 1 and half hours as they had to take all their luggage off the bus and walk through and then reload their luggage on the other side, waiting 20 minutes for their coach to re-appear. There were in the 50 coaches, some that got lost (yes seriously), a coach that chose to stop for 20 minutes for the driver to get, presumably, breakfast, a coach that had a broken windscreen and they had to wait for 2 hours for a replacement coach, a coach that had to have it's door tied in place so that it didn't fly open en route, our bus had to be replaced about 10 minutes before the border because it was 'unauthorised' to cross the border, are you getting the idea. I think there were some that didn't have any problems but there were many problems.

Would I do it again - NO, they couldn't give me a cruise that ended in Ensenada!

Celebrity have not done this because of the complaints. It's all to do with the Jones Act. If the ship starts it's journey in a US port then it can end in a US port, i.e. San Diego to San Diego is OK. But the cruise that we have just finished had to end in Ensenada because it's journey started in New Zealand/Australia (it was a repositioning cruise) and stopped in US ports during the journey, it could not therefore (because of the very old 1800s Jones Act) end in a US port. It has to end in a foreign port. So everyone had to disembark, even those on a back to back cruise, in Ensenada.

Well, we certainly realised he didn't know where he was going but not to that extent. By that time, we'd all just about given up hope of ever leaving Mexico! Being a stranger in those parts (as most of the ship's passengers), at that time we didn't know the difference between Otay Mesa and Tijuana geographically. I'm learning all the time - this trip has been quite an education.

Rita

I'm confused about this. On our info sheet from Celebrity, it stated the crossing would be at the Otay Mesa border. When we got to the border I definitely saw a sign saying Otay. Then after crossing the border we saw signs for various things saying Tijuana? Is the Otay Mesa border perhaps in the district of Tijuana? I don't know, does anyone? Perhaps the drivers?? Mmmmmm?

Archived