Ensenada Bus to San Diego - Your Experiences

MAXII

Would you Bus it from Ensenada to San Diego?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Would you Bus it from Ensenada to San Diego?

• Yes - I Have Done This Trip Before
    • Yes - Though I Have Never Done This Trip
    • No - I Have Done This Trip Before
    • No - Though I have not Done This Trip Before

It would be illegal. The ship needs to have called upon a DISTANT foreign port, Victoria BC is not a distant port.

But Ensenada is-LOL! After reading these horror stories I will not take a cruise that ends here-8 hours to go 70 miles? Pan handlers allowed on bus begging for money? Ensenada is only 70 miles from San Diego.

We are signed up for this cruise in 2013 and have had different answers from different travel agents about the cost of the bus trip back to San Diego. One says it is complimentary and one says there will be a cost. They both have said they checked with Celebrity. Can anyone tell me for sure? Thanks

Originally our Cruise ( Honolulu to Ensenada, March 23rd) charged $90 p.p for the transport, unless yo booked a package with X.

They took the charge off about 6 mnts before the sailing, due to the the cruise being only about 25% full.

But Ensenada is-LOL! After reading these horror stories I will not take a cruise that ends here-8 hours to go 70 miles? Pan handlers allowed on bus begging for money? Ensenada is only 70 miles from San Diego.

But worlds apart...... :D

Ensenada is only 70 miles from San Diego.

Tijuana is only 30 miles from San Diego's gleaming high rises and beautiful harbor but as Whitshel commented, it's a world away. An overseas friend went down to San Diego for the weekend and decided to visit TJ. He's been to 100+ countries , many of them 3rd world including Afghanistan. He was shocked at the conditions literally across the fence from the US and his 6th sense made him feel wary and unsafe.

Very sad, because away from the border zone Mexicans are very warm and welcoming.

Tijuana is only 30 miles from San Diego's gleaming high rises and beautiful harbor but as Whitshel commented, it's a world away. An overseas friend went down to San Diego for the weekend and decided to visit TJ. He's been to 100+ countries , many of them 3rd world including Afghanistan. He was shocked at the conditions literally across the fence from the US and his 6th sense made him feel wary and unsafe.

Very sad, because away from the border zone Mexicans are very warm and welcoming.

Yes, culture is VERY different-and of course standard of living hence the reason so many Mexican nationals move to the US-the majority of whom are NOT illegals-although plenty of those also. However, in distance-no.

My inlaws lived in San Diego for 2 years back in the late 80's-and they only went there once-after that they learned their car insurance did not cover them there unless they paid an extra good sized premium. That told them plenty-LOL! which why hubby did not go there when visiting. It wasn't the cost of the extra premium but how safe would it be?

BTW I found a couple of back to back Princess cruises In Sept. 2013- first from Vancouver to Los Angles. Second round trip Los Angeles to Ensenada. I wondered if we would be able to do them back to back-I am thinking not. Another option was to do the NCL Pearl (which was better as far as PORTS than the Princess ship anyway)-Vancouver to LA and then later do the Princess Baja- with a few days in LA-would that be violating those laws? would we be allowed?

BTW I found a couple of back to back Princess cruises In Sept. 2013- first from Vancouver to Los Angles. Second round trip Los Angeles to Ensenada. I wondered if we would be able to do them back to back-I am thinking not. Another option was to do the NCL Pearl (which was better as far as PORTS than the Princess ship anyway)-Vancouver to LA and then later do the Princess Baja- with a few days in LA-would that be violating those laws? would we be allowed?

I'm trying to connect a "bus" to your question... Neither of these (Princess nor NCL) are bus trips. You can be sure, if you see a cruise advertised, it's OK to buy it. I'm sure the stockholders would all agree...buy it.

I guess it comes down to port preferences. I like the Sep 25 Celebrity Century itinerary: Vancouver BC to San Diego. But then again, no buses involved, except maybe an excursion or two.

Vancouver-LA, then LA-Ensenada-LA doesn't violate any of the U.S. laws because you'd be leaving from a non-US port (Vancouver).

The NCL/Princess combo would also be legal for the same reasons as above....You're originating in Vancouver as opposed to sailing from one U.S. port (such as Seattle) and ending in a different U.S. port (LA).

Vancouver-LA, then LA-Ensenada-LA doesn't violate any of the U.S. laws because you'd be leaving from a non-US port (Vancouver).

The NCL/Princess combo would also be legal for the same reasons as above....You're originating in Vancouver as opposed to sailing from one U.S. port (such as Seattle) and ending in a different U.S. port (LA).

That may be the way to go then- I will have to see what hubby says.

I'm trying to connect a "bus" to your question... Neither of these (Princess nor NCL) are bus trips. You can be sure, if you see a cruise advertised, it's OK to buy it. I'm sure the stockholders would all agree...buy it.

I guess it comes down to port preferences. I like the Sep 25 Celebrity Century itinerary: Vancouver BC to San Diego. But then again, no buses involved, except maybe an excursion or two.

No-OT-but if you look at my previous posts here I had asked if I booked the Solstice Seattle to Ensenada would I be allowed to disembark a day early in San Diego- I learned nope-not without a stiff fine.

I already know from the bus horror stories of this thread I do NOT want to disembark in Ensenada-so the Solstice is out.

So yes OT-but it does connect to this thread/issue-and threads do go OT often waaay OT very often-nature of the beast-just like conversations do in person and not online.

We took an hawaii cruise in October 2001 (a month after 9/11) on the Mercury disembarking in Ensenada and busing up to San Diego). On the way to the border we passed a bus with broken windows. Our American driver said it had been stoned by angry Mexican bus drivers?! The stop at the border was long and disorganized. Our driver then got lost between the border and the San Diego airport! From the previous posts it appears this connection is still hit and miss although I'm not sure I would it dissuade me from taking what is otherwise a great cruise.

I'm thinking of a one-way to Hawaii that leaves from Ensenada at 11:59 PM.

Would anyone know around what time the buses from San Diego would leave for Ensenada? How is the actual embarkation from this port?

Would anyone know around what time the buses from San Diego would leave for Ensenada? How is the actual embarkation from this port?

Are you looking at Millie on 10/22 to Hawaii?

If so, we have a very active roll call.

I believe the buses start picking up at the airport in San Diego around 11 am.

It is unclear whether we then go to San Diego cruise terminal and then get processed and board buses for Ensenada (most likely) or go to Ensenada to a hotel to hang out until the ship is ready to board.The bus trip is the biggest pain - after that embarkation is easy.

When we did it, the first buses started leaving San Diego around 1 or 2 p.m. as I recall.

The actual embarkation was fine. Everything went smoothly with no problem at all. The ship was already docked down in Ensenada when our bus arrived and we were able to board immediately.

When we opened the door to our cabin, we were pleasantly surprised to find our checked luggage already inside the room waiting for us.

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently spent some time reading and re-reading this thread over and over again. As much as I love the idea of the southbound Wine/America's Cup cruise on Celebrity Solstice Sept. 13, 2013 the only concern I still have is the northbound bus ride and border crossing at Tijuana. It sounds like a nightmare.

:(

Celebrity Solstice Sept. 13, 2013 the only concern I still have is the northbound bus ride and border crossing at Tijuana. It sounds like a nightmare

So much for the Celebrity person in Miami telling me that they would have to re-think itinnaries after the numerous complaints they recieved after our transfer from our March 23rd cruise from Hawaii.

Ok...I don't know if I even want an answer to this...

I am booked on the Solstice May 6, 2013 cruise, however, I embark in Sydney. I have read here that even B2B cruises need to get off, bus to the border, etc....Please say this isn't so!

Ok...I don't know if I even want an answer to this...

I am booked on the Solstice May 6, 2013 cruise, however, I embark in Sydney. I have read here that even B2B cruises need to get off, bus to the border, etc....Please say this isn't so!

The PVSA would not require this, but Celebrity may choose to have no passengers on board for their own reasons.

I guess they decided to add the extra day to avoid all the hassles everyone was complaining about.

Leesie6351

No change to Itinnary, there were 2 San Diego-Hawaii- San Diego cruises this April. You don't have to get off in Ensenada & be bussed through to USA if the cruise starts & finishes in the same US city.

Allis 154

Read Sue'n'Steve post. ( April 18th #12)

She was on the Century Cruise which left Sydney 6th March. They had to get off the ship in Ensenada- all passengers did, even though some of them had been on B2B2B2B.

Leesie6351

Allis 154

Read Sue'n'Steve post. ( April 18th #12)

She was on the Century Cruise which left Sydney 6th March. They had to get off the ship in Ensenada- all passengers did, even though some of them had been on B2B2B2B.

I just reread that post...her cruise ended in Ensenada...and they flew home from San Diego...my cruise doesn't end until we reach Seattle...I would like to know if anyone has had to get off in Ensenada and bus to the border, then on to SD, and bus back when they were continuing on the next cruise.

I just reread that post...her cruise ended in Ensenada...and they flew home from San Diego...my cruise doesn't end until we reach Seattle...I would like to know if anyone has had to get off in Ensenada and bus to the border, then on to SD, and bus back when they were continuing on the next cruise.

Hi Allis154, I took that same Sydney to San Diego (Ensenada) cruise on Celebrity this last winter and, yes, WE had to bus to San Diego. But you won't have to. Last winter we did 4 back to backs on the Celebrity Century: Auckland to Perth; Perth via Bali to Sydney; Sydney to Hawaii; and Hawaii to Ensenada. Then the Century went "Dead Head" to San Diego and embarked guests for round trip Hawaii cruises from/to San Diego.

Solstice does not embark anyone in San Diego...the embarkation is Ensenada. By the way, thanks for todays humor! Did you know you are on a very unusual cruise? When I went to 'two go's' website, I laughed when I saw your route from Sydney...see FASTDEAL #28100

Too bad I can't past the chart...it shows Solstice leaving Noumea and heading West abound South America to Hawaii and then looping South to Tahitti and then back to Hawii. Boy, that would be some cruise!

Eddie M

I prefer X to NCL, but NCL has a great Hawaii cruise that starts and ends in Hawaii. You get to see a lot of islands and ports. It might be better than all the days at sea and worrying about going through Mexico.

Too bad I can't past the chart...it shows Solstice leaving Noumea and heading West abound South America to Hawaii and then looping South to Tahitti and then back to Hawii. Boy, that would be some cruise!

Eddie,

I was told by one of the Celebrity employees that they would have to visit a distant foreign port to avoid the Ensenada bus transfer, & that would mean a visit to South America1

Mind, that doesn't explain why you had to be bussed from Ensenada, when you had visited Australia.I suppose you were considered to have embarked in Honolulu on your last leg as each sector of your cruise would have been treated separetly.

Mind, that doesn't explain why you had to be bussed from Ensenada, when you had visited Australia.I suppose you were considered to have embarked in Honolulu on your last leg as each sector of your cruise would have been treated separetly.

And that is the problem. The PVSA says they can't transport passengers from Hawaii to California, so even though a whole bunch of people plan to start in Australia, they are also letting passengers off in Hawaii and adding new ones in Hawaii, thus have to empty everyone off in Ensenada. Legally, they could do like HAL and market Australia to San Diego or Australia to Seattle as one cruise and not be in violation of the law. Because they sell by the leg, instead of the whole cruise, they cannot.

Maybe a whole lot of people need to contact the company and say they want the 30+ day cruise listed as an option. Surely X can find a way to do the paperwork correctly to offer it.

And that is the problem. The PVSA says they can't transport passengers from Hawaii to California, so even though a whole bunch of people plan to start in Australia, they are also letting passengers off in Hawaii and adding new ones in Hawaii, thus have to empty everyone off in Ensenada. Legally, they could do like HAL and market Australia to San Diego or Australia to Seattle as one cruise and not be in violation of the law. Because they sell by the leg, instead of the whole cruise, they cannot.

Maybe a whole lot of people need to contact the company and say they want the 30+ day cruise listed as an option. Surely X can find a way to do the paperwork correctly to offer it.

For our Century Hawaii to Ensenada cruise Eddie had to get off in Ensenada because X decided to end the cruise there. IMO X didnt want to provide a San Diego disembarkation the same day for the few paxs who embarked in Australia as they had to disembark most passengers in Ensenada. It was a timing issue for X and not a PVSA issue for anyone who embarked in Sydney or before.

It doesn't matter if it is booked as one cruise or several with the PVSA. It's the embarkation and disembarkation ports for one or more cruises and whether a distant foreign port is on the itineary. Several continuous cruises from Sydney to Seattle is legal under the PVSA and as Eddie stated all embarkation is in Ensenada, not San Diego, so those who do this can stay on the ship but anyone who embarks in Honolulu can not.

Here is a screen shot of the Solstice route from Sydney to Honolulu Eddie mentioned.

attachment.php?attachmentid=237762&d=1340633775

28100.jpg.6e0b184d1379e034f2261bd36b3608c6.jpg

Archived