Rita's Cantina being replaced by Margaritaville

Which ship was this announcement made on. Several ships have added Rita's and others are scheduled to add them during their revitalizations. It seems equally dumb to suddenly switch something that has hardly had time to be evaluated.:confused:

I know this means little in the big picture but I've read several threads asking for information about Rita's Fiesta with just a few responses. I could be wrong but that makes me believe they're probably not getting good reviews.

I think that Rita's is struggling. Four times on the Allure and other than the Fiesta, it was pretty empty. In January we had dinner there one evening and there was more crew dining there than guests.

Agreed, other than Fiesta it was empty.

I don't think Samba is doing well either. People went there for the package deal, but many told me they weren't happy with it. Several said they were very happy. We'll see what happens with Samba.

I was told a couple months ago on Oasis when I asked if they would be changing Seafood Shack over to Rita's....."we aren't so sure about Rita's popularity"....and this came from high up. it's not easy to slow down the corporate engine....I am sure that these decisions are made way out in time and lots of money and time invested into them. Like mentioned here....the time frame given is already like a year out for changes to take place...so that should tell you something.

You could be correct but as I mentioned to one poster, she probably still has plenty of time to dine at a Rita's Cantina before any change is made. Have to wonder if the rumor proves to be true, what future the person who decided to add Rita's to the other ships in the fleet, has with the cruiseline. I would think that the first step in any prospective change would involve those ships which were scheduled to get a Rita's but have not yet been "revitalized". Easier to stop work before it begins than to do so midway through any conversions. I am one who would be much happier to see a Margaritaville or most any other type of restaurant onboard rather than a Mexican restaurant. I have no way of knowing just how popular or unpopular Rita's actually is, but I am accustomed to being out of step when the popularity of various food styles is discussed so anything that might confirm my opinion of a Mexican restaurant comes as a surprise. Of course the criticism might be directed more at Rita's food than Mexican cuisine in general :)

As a super-duper-uber-newbie-cruiser (first cruise is March 2013) I have no basis for my thoughts. All I have to go on is my "Spidey-Senses"... and my spidey-senses are whispering the following to me:

1. Since at least 2 separate CC members who have sailed this month on the Allure were told directly by the Rita's staff that Margaritaville was replacing the restaurant, one has to think that there may be some real basis for this rumor. It seems unlikely that they would be making such HUGE public announcements if there wasn't some validity to the rumor.

2. Since the Sunshine project is due for its inaugaral sailing in just over a year, one also has to wonder if Margaritaville is in place for that ship and other ships will be opening a Margaritaville coinciding with the inaguaral sail (the proposed timing of "a year or so" seems about right). If that's the case, I don't think we'll see anything "official" about a change in venue until Project Sunshine announces at least some of their eating establishments.

...that's all my Spidey Senses are speaking at the moment. Now I, for one, have a question of my own. As I will be on the Allure in 11 months (awefully close to the proposed time of a change), I am very curious to know how Royal makes changes to venues onboard ships that are not in dry dock??? Do they just close the venue for a time and you sail while they make the renovations? If so, how long does it usually take to make such renovations? A week? Two weeks? Three? A Month? Two Months?

I don't really care if we will get to experience Rita's Fiesta or if we will get to experience Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville... I just want to experience ONE of them!!!! I would hate to be short a dining option, because we planned on only eating in the MDR for the 2 formal nights and eating at all the specialty restaurants on the other nights. Answers on this would be GREATLY appreaciated! TIA :)

As a super-duper-uber-newbie-cruiser (first cruise is March 2013) I have no basis for my thoughts. All I have to go on is my "Spidey-Senses"... and my spidey-senses are whispering the following to me:

1. Since at least 2 separate CC members who have sailed this month on the Allure were told directly by the Rita's staff that Margaritaville was replacing the restaurant, one has to think that there may be some real basis for this rumor. It seems unlikely that they would be making such HUGE public announcements if there wasn't some validity to the rumor.

2. Since the Sunshine project is due for its inaugaral sailing in just over a year, one also has to wonder if Margaritaville is in place for that ship and other ships will be opening a Margaritaville coinciding with the inaguaral sail (the proposed timing of "a year or so" seems about right). If that's the case, I don't think we'll see anything "official" about a change in venue until Project Sunshine announces at least some of their eating establishments.

...that's all my Spidey Senses are speaking at the moment. Now I, for one, have a question of my own. As I will be on the Allure in 11 months (awefully close to the proposed time of a change), I am very curious to know how Royal makes changes to venues onboard ships that are not in dry dock??? Do they just close the venue for a time and you sail while they make the renovations? If so, how long does it usually take to make such renovations? A week? Two weeks? Three? A Month? Two Months?

I don't really care if we will get to experience Rita's Fiesta or if we will get to experience Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville... I just want to experience ONE of them!!!! I would hate to be short a dining option, because we planned on only eating in the MDR for the 2 formal nights and eating at all the specialty restaurants on the other nights. Answers on this would be GREATLY appreaciated! TIA :)

The first Sunshine class does not enter service until the fall of 2014. Over two years away.

It wasn't that long ago that the rumor was about Mondo being changed to Starbucks. No announcement, I was disembarking in October and they were boarding up Mondo, before thanksgiving, Starbucks was open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that Rita's is struggling. Four times on the Allure and other than the Fiesta, it was pretty empty. In January we had dinner there one evening and there was more crew dining there than guests.

Same for Seafood Shack on Oasis. Expected to see tumbleweeds going by. Wonder if they'll change it up as well.

Just a thought...

I see the Allure has a Feb 3rd cruise for 2013 and then next a three day cruise on Feb 14 Would that mean she is docked for those 3 days inbetween? Could that be when they might be making the change?

The funny thing is that I actually look forward to lousy cruise ship coffee. I never get it anywhere else and it is just one more thing that makes cruising so special. Walking up on deck at 5 AM with that bad cup of coffee is pretty close to heaven for me.:)

Ha! Love this. So true.

I'd like to apply for the position of "greeter"!:D

Ooooohhh... me too!

There is little doubt in my mind that on Oasis both the Solarium and Seafood Shack will be changing.

Solarium is unpopular?

Maybe they should put a Senor Frogs on Board as well for the ships heading to Cozumel. Some people would find it hard to distinguish between the ship and the port.

Nice.

we planned on only eating in the MDR for the 2 formal nights and eating at all the specialty restaurants on the other nights.

Well, you will definately have, Chops Grille, Giovanni's Table, 150 Park Central, and Samba Grill. If the are changing Rita's during your cruise you could always do the Chef's Table or Johnny Rockets.

Well, you will definately have, Chops Grille, Giovanni's Table, 150 Park Central, and Samba Grill. If the are changing Rita's during your cruise you could always do the Chef's Table or Johnny Rockets.

Some restaurants are worth doing at least twice IMHO. Giovanni's is one. On our last cruise we had lunch there on embarkation day and dinner twice during the week.:)

I think Steve is referring to the Solarium Bistro for evening meals. Not very popular. I think one thing that hurts this venue is it being out of the way.

That's correct Gordon.....I have actually grown to like the Solarium Bistro in the evening...the Bison is excellent...as is the ceviche appy.....however they aren't doing well....I was told by a very reliable source that they are in the process of looking into a replacement venue. When I was just on Oasis a couple weeks ago they were offering half price on the first 2 nights to eat there.

That's correct Gordon.....I have actually grown to like the Solarium Bistro in the evening...the Bison is excellent...as is the ceviche appy.....however they aren't doing well....I was told by a very reliable source that they are in the process of looking into a replacement venue. When I was just on Oasis a couple weeks ago they were offering half price on the first 2 nights to eat there.

Maybe they should move Izumi up there and expand the WJ.:)

Archived