Rita's Cantina being replaced by Margaritaville

It's truly amazing how the cruise industry has conditioned pax to not only accept but actually embrace the idea of "alternative" dining venues on cruise ships, and have successfully done so in matter of just a few short years. It wasn't that long ago when dinner in the MDR was an event offering exceptional cuisine and service such that the just the concept of an alternative venue was beyond comprehension. Now pax are excited to find their favorite chain restaurants available to them on the high seas.

It's truly amazing how the cruise industry has conditioned pax to not only accept but actually embrace the idea of "alternative" dining venues on cruise ships, and have successfully done so in matter of just a few short years. It wasn't that long ago when dinner in the MDR was an event offering exceptional cuisine and service such that the just the concept of an alternative venue was beyond comprehension. Now pax are excited to find their favorite chain restaurants available to them on the high seas.

Since dining was limited to the main dining room in those 'good old days', it may have been an event, but anyone who truly believes that "exceptional cuisine and service" was being provided to several hundred guests at the same time may be remembering things as being better than they really were. If having an alternative venue was beyond the comprehension of some, it apparently was not beyond the comprehension of some. Like it or not "branding" has taken over so many aspects of our daily life that we are close to becoming immune to it. However, check out the names of our favorite sports stadiums, college football bowl games, and so many other things and see how much the advertisers have co-opted so much. Say what you will, the variety of dining venues and types of cuisine is far greater than it was in those "good old days" and each individual can decide for himself or herself whether this trend has been a good or a bad one. We still eat most of our evening meals in the main dining room and don't feel that the quality of either the food or the service has deteriorated to any great extent and certainly not enough to be the major reason for the rise in popularity of those alternative venues.

I would just say that I have no problem with the introduction of the various dining venues but I would prefer if they did not go too heavy with the branded venues. Names like Chop's grille, Portofino's, Giovanni's etc. at least remind me of RCI and that I am on a cruise and, sometimes, even of a particular RCI ship. Brand names seem to distract me from the fact that I am on an RCI ship. I think that RCI needs to be careful about preserving the RCI identity of the overall experience that they are providing. Just an observation....

I think it's a great idea. Certainly more recognizable as a brand than a generic Seafood Shack or Rita's. More people will probably eat there if it is a Jimmy Buffet's. Imagine the music- perfect for a cruise!

I have always said a Crocs store would be a big hit on the larger ships. Those are the perfect cruise shoes :)

I think Steve is referring to the Solarium Bistro for evening meals. Not very popular. I think one thing that hurts this venue is it being out of the way.

That's what I thought. I am suprised that with all the health nuts in this world it's not more popular. Maybe it's the cost for the evening meals that deter people. How is this venue for breakfast and lunch?

That's correct Gordon.....I have actually grown to like the Solarium Bistro in the evening...the Bison is excellent...as is the ceviche appy.....however they aren't doing well....I was told by a very reliable source that they are in the process of looking into a replacement venue. When I was just on Oasis a couple weeks ago they were offering half price on the first 2 nights to eat there.

I wouldn't do dinner there but I am looking forward to turkey sausage and granola for breakfast.

Maybe they should move Izumi up there and expand the WJ.:)

They could make the WJ larger with a Solarium section?

It doesn't matter what they change the concept to, it won't matter unless they can get the food right. I've been on Princess, RCI, and Carnival and have never had decent Mexican food. I can't understand why, since it is not exactly hard. Maybe because all of the chefs I've seen come from Europe or India.....

I would just say that I have no problem with the introduction of the various dining venues but I would prefer if they did not go too heavy with the branded venues. Names like Chop's grille, Portofino's, Giovanni's etc. at least remind me of RCI and that I am on a cruise and, sometimes, even of a particular RCI ship. Brand names seem to distract me from the fact that I am on an RCI ship. I think that RCI needs to be careful about preserving the RCI identity of the overall experience that they are providing. Just an observation....

I feel pretty much the same way. If mainstream mass-market brands start taking over then there goes a lot of the appeal of cruising for me. One of the things I look forward to is what is on each ship? What are they offering? I don't really want what I can get at home.

Although I have never been to a Margaritaville, from what I understand is that it is over-priced for what you get. Now Royal wants to bring that onto their ships? Oh, yeah....the mighty $$$. ore for Royal & more for Jimmy.

Hooters is next. :D

Since dining was limited to the main dining room in those 'good old days', it may have been an event, but anyone who truly believes that "exceptional cuisine and service" was being provided to several hundred guests at the same time may be remembering things as being better than they really were.

When I said "exceptional food and service" I was referencing cruise industry marketing, not offering my opinion.

Like it or not "branding" has taken over so many aspects of our daily life that we are close to becoming immune to it. However, check out the names of our favorite sports stadiums, college football bowl games, and so many other things and see how much the advertisers have co-opted so much.

I've no issue with branding. I do, however, find it interesting when a cruise line starts relying more and more on other brands to build its own.

Walt Disney was called a true genius for disguising the worlds largest shopping mall as an amusement park.

I always laugh when people call Royal Caribbean ships "Mall of the Seas" because I think of Walt Disney World and all the stuff that you can buy. Like an ice cream bar for $4.50.

I spoke to an RCCL representative last night regarding some details of our booking (specifically because despite numerous phone calls, they STILL haven't linked my families reservations together according to the website info,but I digress). While I had them on the phone, I questioned them about the four days next year in February that the Allure is not open for bookings and it was confirmed to me that it IS being privately chartered four those four days (hence the 3 day Valentine's Day cruise). There goes my theory of a secret mini-refurb in port :p I guess if the Allure is to change Rita's over to a Margaritaville, it will not be in port, but would have to be while at sea.

Of course, I also inquired about this Rumor and, not surprisingly, got an extremely official response:

"Royal Caribbean International has not made any announcements about any changes to any venues on the Allure".

....I did think it was interesting that they didn't say it would NOT be changing, but rather that NO ANNOUNCEMENT has been made about a change :rolleyes:

And when I told them that the staff of Rita's has been announcing the change to recent passengers the response was:

"I cannot speculate or speak on second hand information"

...so do these guys have a handbook they read their official answers from ;)

So, I guess if it is to change, we'll have to wait for further dirt from PAX getting off the Allure or we'll be waiting for an "official announcement" ;)

Of course, I also inquired about this Rumor and, not surprisingly, got an extremely official response:

"Royal Caribbean International has not made any announcements about any changes to any venues on the Allure".

....I did think it was interesting that they didn't say it would NOT be changing, but rather that NO ANNOUNCEMENT has been made about a change :rolleyes:

And when I told them that the staff of Rita's has been announcing the change to recent passengers the response was:

"I cannot speculate or speak on second hand information"

...so do these guys have a handbook they read their official answers from ;)

It is somewhat easy to understand why an official spokesman for the corporation is less willing to speculate about things that "might" happen on RCI in the future. There will always be crew members and officers on a ship who enjoy spreading the latest rumors since if the rumors turn out to be untrue, they aren't likely to suffer any serious consequences.

Corporate personnel pretty much have to toe the corporate line and have to adopt a CYA policy, so your reference to their being a "handbook" isn't far from the mark.

I would no more try to read anything into the official's statements than I would give the rumors from the assistant cabin steward much credence.:)

You are showing your biased ignorance and making a jab at carnival just for the sake of making a jab at carnival. Based on your signature you have obviously been on carnival as well as Royal.

You therefore know that Royal has had Johnny Rockets YEARS before carnival added branded venues just this year.

Also, you can not find a Guy's Burger Joint, Hasbro Game Show experience, George Lopez's Comedy Club on land.

Your post is just pure vitriol towards carnival.

Wow! Why in the world would you be so offended at Kuffmup's post...and then to be so offended to start a thread complaiing about in on the CCL board? His post said nothing bad about Carnival. Holy Moley. Bit of an inferior complex, there?

The funny thing is that I actually look forward to lousy cruise ship coffee. I never get it anywhere else and it is just one more thing that makes cruising so special. Walking up on deck at 5 AM with that bad cup of coffee is pretty close to heaven for me.:)

Amen, but does it have to be 5am? LOL

Starbucks, Johnny Rockets, Dreamworks, Coach, Guess and soon Margaritaville. Add Celebrity's Apple, Reidel and Rosetta Stone relationships to the mix and you have to wonder whether RCI is more interested in building cruise ships or floating franchises/corporate alliances? It's not the sea calling; it's your local mall!

Based on the newest ships, I'd say the latter. I realize they're marketing to a different demographic and that it is their choice. But that's one reason the new giants do not appeal to us at all.

beachchick

Archived