Can't Miss Ports in Europe

JBCall

Hi,

So I have heard here that Europe is all about the ports. I know there are lots of ports I would like to see (i.e.: Venice, Alexandria - not technically Europe I know) but for fun I thought I would ask what is your favorite European port and why.

Thanks.

I've only been to Europe once on a Med cruise so I had to see the ports/sites I grew up learning about in childhood.

Rome, Pompeii, Pisa, Malta, Monaco

I also enjoyed our stops in Barcelona and Marsaille!

I passed on Tunisia though.

Any Mediterranean island, especially Malta, Santorini, Mallorca and various Greek islands; the Croatian coast and Venice; Northern Italy and Southern France; Northern Spain including Santiago de Compostela, and with the coastal islands off Vigo being very special; the Canaries; round the British Isles; Northern Europe including Amsterdam and Hamburg; most Med. places in Turkey.

If I had to choose just one, probably Venice and Croatia, with a Greek island or two!

Jo.

Rome is my favorite European city, but its port is a fair distance away, making it less than ideal for a one-day cruise stop. Pick a cruise that begins or ends there and spend several days.

My other "most favorite" would have to be Istanbul, in Turkey. Much history, colorful, safe, and convenient to tour from the ship.

For the history, I also really enjoyed: Kusadasi (for Ephesus) and Antalya, both in Turkey; not really in Europe, but Mediterranean....!

Naples is also great because there is so much to do in the vicinity -- Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi Coast, etc.

It's been a while since I've been to the Baltics, but I'd also add Copenhagen and St. Petersburg to my list.

(P.S. I stopped in Tunisia last fall and REALLY enjoyed it. I'm going back again this year....)

Archived