Leaving Friday on SKY, any tips?

Erwende

I am leaving on Friday 4/27 for a girls cruise (five of us) on the SKY!!! I have been on the Pearl and Epic, so I am familiar to NCL. Looking for any out of the way, little know tips about the ship. We have an inside cabin booked.

I have been to Great Stirrup Cay before and was looking forward to the lazy river. By recent reviews, its not open. I don't even know if I will get off the ship. The tender is a rough ride in itself!

We have Atlantis Aquaadventure exursion booked. NCL was running a special. Does anyone have any tips for this excursion?

Thanks!!

Bring sandals or some sort of footwear that can get wet. The pavement is very hot during this time of year to be running around in barefeet. Get a locker to put things in.

Take a leap of faith for me :)

Get some of those 2 for 1 martinis on board in plantation lounge.

Have a blast. Just remember that Sky is no Pearl or Epic but can be a very fun ship with the NCL classic restaurants Cagneys and Le bistro, etc

Take your own transport to Atlantis to maximize your time there. Expect long lines this time of year for the slides not adjacent to the lazy river. Enjoy the lazy river and just go with the flow. Check out the awesome fish in The Dig. Have fun!

As already mentioned, I think the 2 for 1 martinis in the Plantation are a great deal. It starts at 6pm and there is a light jazz band playing. It's a really nice lounge for the early evening.

Go to Le Bistro one night and order the lamb chops. They have got to be the best I have ever had. My mouth waters just thinking about them.

GSC, well, it is what it is. They still have a long way to go to compete with other private islands. If the trail is re-opened, take a walk over to the old lighthouse.

For an out of the way, very seldom used hot tub, go to deck 12 in the front of the ship.

The bar is right around the corner, and you ofter have it to yourself.

The lounge chairs on the same deck near the front always have room too.

Have fun, weather looks great for you all!!!

For an out of the way, very seldom used hot tub, go to deck 12 in the front of the ship.

Thanks so much! I just added this to my list of Misc. things I want to do on the Sky next month!

I agree. This is a great spot. We hung out there while in Nassau. Very few people found it and although it's technically the kids pool, very few kids were there. I actually think this area would be better suited as an adults only wading pool and jacuzzi. It only makes sense since there are signs in that area designating it as a Quiet Zone. Huh? :rolleyes:

2795316080080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

I just got off the Sky 3 day weekend trip on Monday. Here are some of my suggestions . . .

If you like to participate/watch fun game shows, here are a few not to miss (and you may even win a prize or two).

Friday night - Majority Rules

Saturday night - Not so Newlywed Game, group line dancing

Sunday night (they save the best for last) - Dancing with the (cruise staff) Stars and The Quest.

The Plantation Club did not have the 2 for 1 martinis on this cruise. We stopped by each night. Instead, they held art auctions on Saturday and Sunday evenings. The staff said it is up to the food and beverage manager whether or not they decide to have a 2 for 1 night. We took this cruise in the past and loved to hang out in the Plantation Club every evening before dinner. It was a great way to start off the night!

The weather was not kind on Great Stirrup Cay. We were able to tender to the island, but it rained most of the day. Bring an umbrella or light jacket if you plan to go in the water if it is raining. We were the first tender off and the last to return. If I did not have something warm to put on after getting in the water, I probably would have returned early to the ship. Also, I thought the buffet on the island was excellent. There was a lot of variety and even fresh coconut and papaya. As a vegetarian, I appreciated the veggie burger option.

Our tour was cancelled in Nassau due to rough water and wind. We are not shoppers, so we headed out of town on the jitney ($1.25 each way) to the Sheraton. The water was much calmer over there. By the way a new Daiquiri shack opened up across the street from the Sheraton. Best ever for $6. Large portion made with rum and fresh fruit. No mixes or syrups.

We always ate breakfast and lunch at the Outdoor Cafe and dinners in Palace. We're not big foodies or seafood eaters. The food was good.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Its a game show where the audience is asked to bring items to the stage like a scavenger hunt. Like, red nail polish, a man that is balding, someone in pink shorts, a bottle opener, a person with a tattoo. Each time the items they want are different. It is played in teams. Sooo much fun!!! I have seen videos of it on YouTube also. Try looking there.

Quest is usually played late in the evening because it can get a little racy. One time the MC asked for people to show him places where they had piercings that were not in their ears. As you can imagine there were a lot of variety like nose, tongue, belly button and so on. Then, one guy came up and proceeded to unzip his pants and start to go farther when the MC stopped him. The guy later told me that he would have whipped it all the way out. (We did not know him; just happened to run into his group at a later time.)

But it is hilarious and there is usually a large participation so get there early if you want seats near the front.

We were on the Sky before it was refurbished and given more of a Hawaiian theme. It became the Pride of Aloha for awhile and then changed back to the Sky. So, what used to be called the Observation Lounge is something else, and I don't know what it's now called. But at the front of the ship there is an observation deck that is better than any other ship we've been on. Most of the other ships have a lesser version and high walls of plexi-glass, so it makes it less easy for us short people to have an unobstructed view. We enjoyed that deck a lot.

The Quest game on our sailing (4/27) was very jaw dropping racy!! Had a great time even though it rained the whole time.

Ours was also! I covered my mouth in shock a few times and laughed like crazy!

DH and I did something similar to the Quest game on our first cruise on Carnival. It was so much fun! It ended up with a bunch of men in their wives/girlfriends highheels with their purses and lipstick on. OH, and they were all in their underwear. It was quite hilarious.

But yes, a little racy for some! Not me, I loved it!

I will definitely be going to this on our May 28th sailing on the Sky! Can't wait!

Regarding the children's hot tub/pool area, while the NCL website says it is designated as the children's area, all the pics/videos I've seen never show kiddos, always adults (or more commonly, NO ONE at all). And I've read several people that say they didn't encounter kids in that area. So I'm not sure what to think.

What was your experience? Did you ever see kids there?

I will be fine no matter if there are kids there or not, I love kids, but I'm just curious as to what to expect. Also, it makes me wonder if they need to designate that area differently.

I plan on going there for sailaway. Not planning to get in the hot tub necessarily, I'm going for the view!

Also, thanks for your review, you did a wonderful job!

We were on the Sky April 30th - May 4th and the hot tub was always packed. Didn't matter what time we went up there. We did go up one evening and it was closed. It was very difficult to get time in the hot tubs at all on the ship during our trip. :(

Archived