Moths/Butterflies

bonvoyage88

This may sound like a silly question--but are there moths/butterflies out at sea and/or do you ever see them on the ships?

I have a crippling fear of butterflies and moths and we are sailing on the Legend in October going to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Grand Cayman. I realize that in the ports there's always that possibility but when we are sailing--do these insects ever get onboard, possibly attracted to the lights on my balcony at night?

I just want to prepare myself for all the possiblities.

Thanks in advance.

Linda

And folks think there are never any new questions on CC!!!;) I don't think it's silly at all!!!!

I have never noticed any moths or butterflies on any cruise I've been on except for the possibility of port time. There could always be a hitchhiker lurking somewhere, but I've never noticed any. Although some butterflies migrate across the Caribbean each fall, I've never noticed them around any ship I've been on. I don't think you will have an issue. In port there could be plenty.

I am so glad you don't live in the Texas Panhandle. We have had an outbreak of moths the last couple of days. I mean, hundreds of them. My house is full of them. I hate them too. But I love butterflies.

The only insects I can recall on a ship was when we moored overnight at an industrial port in the Red Sea, and the flies swarmed on deck.

I live very close to the sea, and rarely see a moth or butterfly on the coast, though they're inland once the bushes and gardens start.

I've not seen a mosquito on board, either.

Jo.

This may sound like a silly question--but are there moths/butterflies out at sea and/or do you ever see them on the ships?

I have a crippling fear of butterflies and moths and we are sailing on the Legend in October going to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Grand Cayman.

Just be careful in Cozumel.

The butterflies are as big as eagles, and they can be really nasty.:rolleyes:

Just be careful in Cozumel.

The butterflies are as big as eagles, and they can be really nasty.:rolleyes:

Well, johneeo was joking, but we did have a moth as big as a bird fly into our cabin as we were approaching a port in South America!

It flew in from the balcony as I opened the door, flew around the cabin for a minute or two, and then flew out the door again. I wasn't scared - actually, it was quite pretty, a lovely shade of green - but I was glad it went out again.

I've never seen moths or butterflies while out at sea, just when approaching land.

And folks think there are never any new questions on CC!!!;) I don't think it's silly at all!!!!

I had to laugh at that one.

Nope, I have never seen any on the ship or out to sea. I've seen birds flying along side of the ship and wondered if they are just going to follow us all the way to the next port or wonder if there is an island somewhere close by...their wings have got to get tired sooner or later. :eek:

http://http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2012-04-24/old-testament-moth-invasion-should-end-2-weeks

This is from Amarillo Texas newspaper today. I live in Amarillo and they are horrible.

I would DIE. Just reading this story gave me the creeps. Good luck to you and I hope it's over soon for you.:eek:

Linda

I would DIE. Just reading this story gave me the creeps. Good luck to you and I hope it's over soon for you.:eek:

Linda

My house is full of them. It's pretty bad. Just keep the lights off and they won't bother you. They don't really bother me anyway. Just a pain picking up the dead ones.

Archived