Venice airport-Euro exchange rates? Bus tickets?

Travel To Be Free

When we get to airport, is it best to get Euros for the whole trip right there or should we get just a little to get us to ship and then exchange US dollars for Euros there.

Do you get a better rate at the money exchange window at Venice airport or at the Bancomat (ATM?) Where are these located?

Then to get a Blue Bus to get to Roma Piazza (transportation), do you have to buy a ticket in the airport? Do you get it at the information desk at the 1/2 circle desk in the middle of the airport or are bus tickets obtained somewhere else?

When you leave the baggage area at Marco Polo Airport in Venice, there is an ATM (Bancomat) to the right but I can't remember if there was one to the left. The bus is straight ahead, and I'm pretty sure there are machines for the tickets. If not, you can buy a ticket on the bus most of the time.

We take the max out of the ATM when we get to the airport so we don't have to worry about doing it again.

Maybe you don't realize it but you have a daily limit on the amount of cash you can withdrawal from your bank. Call and find out about the daily limit, as well as transaction fees and exchange fees.

I belong to a credit union; my daily limit is $500 and the int'l fees are super low. If you look back a few pages there was a lengthy post on the subject of cash. Some people get Capital One cards specifically for int'l travel. BTW, you need to let the bank know that you'll be out of the country, otherwise they may freeze your account. Yikes!

You can buy your ATVO ticket on-line or at one their machines at the airport, inside and outside.

Analyze your itinerary and see where Euro is a must versus the ability to use a Capital One credit card....and get the Euro before you leave home...whatever you think is enough to start.

Also, Cap one cards are best when charging in Euro but most onboard charges on most cruiselines will be charged in dollars and for that reason I use the best rewards deal card I have for the ship..which is not always Cap one in my case.

Cap 1 is used by me only when charging in Euro..like pre and post hotels and restaurants.

ATMs are not as plentiful in ports as posters here would have you believe..and the limits in withdrawal amounts can hurt especially if you are looking to grab 550 euro for a private tour and such.

I believe most ships cash/exchange money for you but I have never done this..but if I did..that might be the only place/time that I would actually ever need a travelers check for.

The only time I have ever had a problem getting euros from an ATM was in Tunisia and even there it was easy to find one but it took four tries to get money.

Yes contact you bank and make sure you are setup to do foreign transactions. Also have them increase your withdraw limit to $1,000 or more. They can change it to whatever they want. I have mine set to $1,000 and that is more then enough for any day. If your bank won't increase it, take your business to a community bank where you can actually talk to a human decision maker.

The only time I have ever had a problem getting euros from an ATM was in Tunisia and even there it was easy to find one but it took four tries to get money.

Yes contact you bank and make sure you are setup to do foreign transactions. Also have them increase your withdraw limit to $1,000 or more. They can change it to whatever they want. I have mine set to $1,000 and that is more then enough for any day. If your bank won't increase it, take your business to a community bank where you can actually talk to a human decision maker.

In order to get 1000 E a day in Europe, the OP would need to use and find more than 1 atm..as it is the ATM that will have a limit as well.

When we get to airport, is it best to get Euros for the whole trip right there or should we get just a little to get us to ship and then exchange US dollars for Euros there.

quote]

In our experience, the money exchange machine on board is either broken or out of money - so don't plan on exchanging money on board. I'd suggest taking the max withdraw at the airport, then use ATMs along the way as needed.

+1 its been a few years, but once out of the luggage area and customs there were mulltiple ATMs.

A family member made the mistake of exchanging at one of the booths and got take for almost 50% after exchange fee, surcharge etc. I waited after wards and was charged like 2.5 for 200 dollar exchange.

ATMs are the way if you can live with the daily and ATM limts. The ships and booths are highway robbery.

Need a lot, like thousands for private tours, than pre arrange to get them before you leave. You are rich so don't worry about the rate :D

When you leave the baggage area at Marco Polo Airport in Venice, there is an ATM (Bancomat) to the right but I can't remember if there was one to the left. The bus is straight ahead, and I'm pretty sure there are machines for the tickets. If not, you can buy a ticket on the bus most of the time.

We take the max out of the ATM when we get to the airport so we don't have to worry about doing it again.

A quick question to clarify: When you all talk about getting money out of the ATM machines when you arrive in Italy, you mean using your U.S. bank account debit card to withdraw cash, right? You are not talking about charging a cash advance to a credit card?

Thanks for all the great info in this thread! We leave Wed. for Venice (for a 7-night Greek Isles cruise). Can't wait!

A quick question to clarify: When you all talk about getting money out of the ATM machines when you arrive in Italy, you mean using your U.S. bank account debit card to withdraw cash, right? You are not talking about charging a cash advance to a credit card?

Thanks for all the great info in this thread! We leave Wed. for Venice (for a 7-night Greek Isles cruise). Can't wait!

You are correct. A csh advance with a credit card is a bad idea- high rate of interest from day 1.

Hi targets mom.

Yes husband Mike and I (late 40s, both tall, both short hair)signed up for that excursion. Seemed easier than dealing with the Cable car on the way up. Santorini was one of the main reasons we picked this cruise. Quiet roll call.

Are you flying out of philly direct? We are on delta JFK wed night. Exploring Venice should be fun!

I see you did the baltics, if we meet I'd love to hear about that.

grape:

USAir has one non-stop flight a day between PHL and VCE. I was shocked! Thought we would have to drive to Newark.

We are scheduled to arrive in Venice at 9:15 a.m. on Thursday. I bought tickets for the ATVO airport shuttle bus to Mestre. (We are staying at The Plaza, across the street from the train station.) We will take the train for a euro or two each into Venice on Thursday and Friday and then take a cab from Mestre to the port on Saturday.

We will probably take a ship tour in Corfu but haven't picked one yet. I booked us on the Katakolon Express bus to Olympia and the Oia Village tour in Santorini. I think we will just wander around in Mykonos. I take hundreds of pictures when we travel, so if you see a short little redhead click-click-clicking away, that will be me. :)

Would love to tell you about our Baltic cruise. Maybe we could meet on board for a drink or dinner. If you want to email me (see email address in signature) with your contact info (email or cabin #) I will respond with same.

Wish I could wrinkle my nose like Samantha Stevens (Bewitched) and my packing would be done. :)

In the venice airport you will see Money exchange places right there..

you can exchnage USD for Euros at one of thos and avoid any credit card fees. Get USD from your ATm at home or at the US airport.

You can get any currency there..we even got Turkish liras for another of our ports.

Enjoy!

Sherry

grape:

We are scheduled to arrive in Venice at 9:15 a.m. on Thursday. I bought tickets for the ATVO airport shuttle bus to Mestre. (We are staying at The Plaza, across the street from the train station.) We will take the train for a euro or two each into Venice on Thursday and Friday and then take a cab from Mestre to the port on Saturday.

We will probably take a ship tour in Corfu but haven't picked one yet. I booked us on the Katakolon Express bus to Olympia and the Oia Village tour in Santorini. I think we will just wander around in Mykonos. I take hundreds of pictures when we travel, so if you see a short little redhead click-click-clicking away, that will be me.

Sounds like a great plan. I'm jealous. Especially getting off at the train station every day and taking the vaporetto down the Grand Canal. I never tire of that ride. One afternoon we sat at the loading dock in front of the train station and watched the boat traffic for 2 hours. It was fascinating to see the various boats that perform the work of our cars & trucks ... ambulance, police, moving van, mail delivery, garbage pick up. You name it, they've got a boat for it.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that in Mykonos our only plan was to wander around town, see the 4 windmills, Little Venice, and the pelican town mascot. But from the harbor I spotted a derelict windmill up on the hill so we decided to walk to it. We picked our way thru cobblestone paths, several deadends, passed lovely whitewashed homes and gardens, and finally got to the top of the hill. We were rewarded with an amazing view of our ship out in the bay, the harbor, the town, even the 4 windmills. It was such a bonus! Then we walked back into town to visit the other sights.

Corfu was the one port I couldn't get a handle on. In hindsight I wish I had rented a car and driven around the island or had taken an excursion. We walked to town and spent a few hours wandering thru the fort and climbed to the top for a very nice view. It was fine but I would have preferred seeing more of the island. Our dinnermates took an excursion that went into the island where they visited a small village, a church and had lunch at a taverna. Apparently it was a very scenic drive and they really enjoyed it. Regardless of what you do ... have a wonderful trip!!

Archived