***Live from the Sojourn, 20-day Iberian and Celtic Sojourn***

Post Breakfast Update;-Bergen

Just came back from the Colonnade and surprisingly it was very quiet at 8:35am this morning. The temperature has increased to 22C or 72F under sunny skies at 9:45am....it's a HeatWave here might have to put on the A/C today ditch the "Seabourn Slippers" for flip flops and shorts.

Background on Bergen;

Bergen is a city and municpality in Hordaland on the west coast of Norway. As of May 30, 2012, the municpality had a population of 285 000 and Greater Bergen had a population of 390 700, making Bergen the second largest city in Norway. The municipalitycovers an area of 465 square kilometers and is located on the peninsula of Bergenshalvoyen. Many of the extra municipal suburbs are located on islands. Bergen is the administrative centre of Hordaland and consists of eight boroughs, Ana, Arstad, Asane, Bergenhus, Fana, Fyllingsdalem, Laksevg and Ytrebygda.

Trading in Bergen may have started as early as the 1020's, but the city was not incorporated until 1070. It served as Norway's capital from 1217 to 1299 and from the end of the 13th century became a bureau city of the Hanseatic League. Until 1789 Bergen enjoyed exclusive rights to mediate trade between Northern Norway and abroad. The remains of the Quays, Bryggen, it's a World Heritagae site. The City was hit by numerous fires. The Norwegian School of Economics was founded in 1936 and the University of Bergen.

The City of Bergen is an international centre for aquaculture , shipping, offshore petrolium industry and subsea technology.

Hello ST. I'm so glad to read that you disembarked today and actually got your feet on dry land in Stavanger, otherwise you'd never get your "land legs" back when (if) you ever finish this cruise.

We are definitely going on our little jaunt to Canada, even though so far the cruise is not available. We will do a couple of days in Montreal, and will probably stay at the Ritz-Carlton as it's just reopened. However if you have any suggestions for Quebec City hotels they would be gratefully received.

As for today's culinary offerings on the Sojourn, I'd be heading to the Colonnade because I adore crab cakes, and Beef Stroganoff and the cod sounds magnifique too!

Reavenscroft...yes even ST had to stretch his Sea Legs once in a while!

The Chateau Frontenac, Fairmount in Quebec City is wahat I recommend on the Gold Floor is amazing, service decor and food. You'll find that the newly re-opened Ritz-Carlton in Montreal stunning...especially the grandiose lobby.

By the way ST, don't forget to tell about the sights and sounds of your ports, not just the facts. I loved your impressions of what was going on in such a different culture and I loved the movie "The Best Exotic Marigold HotelL". All on CC should see it... Good life lessons in it also.

Will try to keep this in mind RNH.;)

Do you have one for me? Bonus if you are on as well:)

Not summer. We stay home for the lake.

Miss seeing your slippers but enjoying your thread immensely

Wish I were at the patio grill tonight for lobster Mac and cheese. Somehow I missed that last month.

The Slippers are now "famous" onboard...it's like being in my house, well floating house that is. You missed an awsome Lobster & Mac Cheese last night...Aaron killed it last night in the Patio Grill.;)

Do you have one for me? Bonus if you are on as well:)

Not summer. We stay home for the lake.

Miss seeing your slippers but enjoying your thread immensely

Wish I were at the patio grill tonight for lobster Mac and cheese. Somehow I missed that last month.

The Slippers are now "famous" onboard...it's like being in my house, well floating house that is. You missed an awsome Lobster & Mac Cheese last night...Aaron killed it last night in the Patio Grill.;)

You ditched the slippers???? :p:D

So last night was so good, you posted it twice! LOL!

Enjoy Bergen - did you see Terry from Ohio's lovely photos on the other thread? I also enjoy his comments and responses to others.

So ST you going ashore today?

You ditched the slippers???? :p:D

So last night was so good, you posted it twice! LOL!

Enjoy Bergen - did you see Terry from Ohio's lovely photos on the other thread? I also enjoy his comments and responses to others.

So ST you going ashore today?

Really? twice? LOL

Yes I saw Terry from Ohio's photos...great pics.

Is ST going ashore today?...stay tuned!:eek::D:eek:

Post Lunch Update;-Bergen

Just came back from a quick Lunch in the Colonnade, and it must be a full moon because we had a "phantom farter" "burper" and "yacker" all in one sitting:eek: I felt like Linus and Pig Pen on the Peanuts with a cloud of dust/dirt surrounding my table. I mean really, do people think that other people don't notice or smell what's going on?:rolleyes:

I had or attempted to have the Penne Pasta in Rich Meat Sauce with a side salad of air dried beef with mixed greens salad and cookie dough frozen yogurt for dessert.

Now the plan is to go outside quickly before the markets open in less than two hours time and report back on my adventures in Bergen, Norway.

More to come later today from the Sojourn in Bergen, Norway.

Hello ST,

I am a long time follower (lurker :eek:) of your blogs, truly enjoy reading of your current and past adventures and your sense of humor.

We will be on the Sojourn for the June 29th sailing of the Norwegian fjords and North Cape so I am especially interested in your posts of the ports in Norway.

I was wondering what the procedure was to sign up for the "Shopping with the Chef"? Is it open to everyone or do you have to sign up in advance? Hopefully they will offer this in Bergen on our sailing also, it seems like a complementary addition to all of the activities offered.

So glad that you have good weather in this port, hope we will be as fortunate.

Thanks for the wonderful postings, I continue to gather many helpful hints for our first Seabourn cruise. Perhaps you can be persuaded to continue on until then? :D

-Caroline

Reavenscroft...yes even ST had to stretch his Sea Legs once in a while!

The Chateau Frontenac, Fairmount in Quebec City is wahat I recommend on the Gold Floor is amazing, service decor and food. You'll find that the newly re-opened Ritz-Carlton in Montreal stunning...especially the grandiose lobby.

That's also what I recommend. Been to Quebec several times. Location fabulous and you just have to stay there once...a grand experience. I have one of their winter vests and every time I wear it it brings back such fond memories. (I'm partial to Chateau Frontenac.)

Hello ST,

I am a long time follower (lurker :eek:) of your blogs, truly enjoy reading of your current and past adventures and your sense of humor.

We will be on the Sojourn for the June 29th sailing of the Norwegian fjords and North Cape so I am especially interested in your posts of the ports in Norway.

I was wondering what the procedure was to sign up for the "Shopping with the Chef"? Is it open to everyone or do you have to sign up in advance? Hopefully they will offer this in Bergen on our sailing also, it seems like a complementary addition to all of the activities offered.

So glad that you have good weather in this port, hope we will be as fortunate.

Thanks for the wonderful postings, I continue to gather many helpful hints for our first Seabourn cruise. Perhaps you can be persuaded to continue on until then? :D

-Caroline

Caroline;

"Shopping with the Chef" is open to everyone, however I do know for a fact that if your are staying in an Owners Suite, Signature Suite or Wintergarden Suite you automatically get an invite in advance. Otherwise that same morning go to Guest Services at Seabourn Square that same morning and sign up right there. I believ they limit it to no more than 20 people. In Bergen you will go with the Chef to the Famous Fish Market to buy fresh local fish.

That's also what I recommend. Been to Quebec several times. Location fabulous and you just have to stay there once...a grand experience. I have one of their winter vests and every time I wear it it brings back such fond memories. (I'm partial to Chateau Frontenac.)

I am also partial to the Fairmount Chateau Frontenac. It's a beautiful property and the location is the best.;)

Afternoon update on Bergen, Norway;

Just came back about 20 minutes ago from ashore. Great day and weather here in Bergen, Norway light winds out of the west and 21C or 70F and under sunny skies.

The great thing about Bergen is that everything is so close either by foot or bike. One of the things I would recommend if you are up for it, is to rent bikes locally for the day, well worth the 250 Norwegian Krone spent and the ability to get around the city if the weather cooperates like it did today.

If you are more inclined to go and see the New Fish Market it's exactly a 13 minute walk from the pier. You can't get lost at all as there are signs clearly indicating the direction of the Fish Market. The New Fish Market opened just in Mid-May of this year.

In the City Centre, you'll find a the Tourist Information Kiosk. They are very helpfull in recommending things to do that are off the beaten track. You can also take the finicular from the Bryggen Pier up the Floien Finicular for half the money the ship is charging for the same tour. It's an 8 minute ride up some 1200 feet above sea level and the views of entire Bergen are stunning.

Remember that if you are here on a Sunday mostly everything is closed as most other places in Norway. Stores in general open at 10:00am or 11:00am in Norway and accept Norwegian Krone and NOT Euro's but credit cards are widely accepted.

Departure from Bergen, Norway;-enroute to Olden, Norway

We are just making final preparations for leaving the pier here in Bergen, Norway. Captain Buer has informed us that we will be staying in the Inside Passage all night until we reach Olden, Norway tomorrow morning at 8:00am.

We have some 171 nautical miles before we reach Olden and will be cruising at an average speed of 12 knots tonight. We anticipate winds of 20 knots per hour and we will be passing over 8 Fjords tonight and overnight before reaching Olden, Norway.

The sunset tonight is scheduled for 11:02pm and sunrise at 3:41am tomorrow morning. It looks to be another great night to be in the Patio Grill.

More to come later today from the Sojourn enroute for Olden, Norway.:eek:

Hi Seabourntraveller,

I admit to being a "major lurker" on your posts. I love the descriptions of the day-to-day activities. We will be visiting some of your earlier ports this Sept. and the ones you are now visiting next year. So, keep it up and thanks for taking your time.

Thanks Patti22.;)

[quote name='cwn']Not sure which cruise you are looking at, but final payment for ours is next week...something may open yet.

ST...We are planning a few days in the Q City or Montreal area post cruise and are looking for a hotel in the area to use as a base for day trips.....any suggestions? We are spending two days at the Fairmount, Chateau Frontenac on the Gold Floor, but we are renting a car and looking for something easy to explore from either near Q City or Montreal. We are taking the train to Albany from Montreal later.

Some days I wouldn't have a hard time picking the dinner option, but today.....can I go and have something from each?!!
Oven Baked Chicken & Vegetable Spring Roll, chili dipping sauce, Kamchatka Crab Cake on tartar sauce, Crab and Avocado Cocktail, BBQ Glzed Salmon and top it all off with stawberry Romanoff please!!!

Thanks for the menu![/quote]

In Montreal Downtown I can recommend the Hilton Bonnaventure, The Sheraton each within a block of each other, the New Westin or the Intercontinental which are a block apart of each other as well or if you prefer a boutique Hotel I would recommend the "Hotel St-James" which is in old Montreal and fabulous.

[B]Dinner Options Tonight;[/B]

[B]The Restaurant [/B]

Ceviche of Scallops and Tuna
fennel and golden beetroot salad, fresh horseradish cream

White Tomato Soup
basil foam

Pan seared Foie gras Balckberry and Chili Pancake
rich dark chocolate sauce

Pan Fried Norwegian Halibut
mussel casserole, scallion pomme puree, semi dried cherry tomatoes, champagne butter sauce

OR

Slow Roasted Tenderloin of Beef
confit veal ravioli, chnaterelles mushrooms, artichokes foam and crisp jerusalem artichokes

[B]DESSERT[/B]

Glazed Leom Tart
roast lemon sorbet, lemon custard

Chocolate Truffles

[B]Vegetarian[/B]

Risotto of Roast Mushrooms
with crisp parsnips, herb salad

[B]Restaurant 2:[/B]

[B]Checf's Cocktail:[/B] Seared Tuna Mojito, Shaved Watermelon, Minted Lime Dash, Popcorn

Cured Salmon, Crunchy Root Vegetables, Olive Tapenade Drizzles
Lobster & Chorizo Croquetta, Eggplant & Olive Relish
Marinated Red Beets, Creamy Goat Cheese, Shallot Vinaigrette

Lime Kissed Duck Presse, Soba Pasta, ****ake & Bok Choy, Grilled Chili Balls
Clam Cappuccino, Cilantro Foam, Corriander & Mascarpone Crisp

Spiced Halibut, Crisp Foie Gras, Roasted Pineapple Chutney
Tamarind Glazed Hanger Steak, Corn Cake, Poached Tomatoes

White Chocolate Mascarpone Cheesecake, Cherry Jelly & Sorbet

[B]The Colonnade- NORWEGIAN[/B]

[B]APPETIZERS[/B]

Gravalaks & Mustard Aquavit Sauce
dill potatoes, cucumber salad

Crunchy Lobster Cake
nordic tartar sauce

Smorgas Seafood Chowder
mussels, cod, salmon and coldwater shrimp

[B]MAIN COURSE[/B]

Herb Crusted Salmon
sauteed spinach, wild mushrooms, lemon caper beurre blanc

Ligonberry Duck
braised red cabbage, carrot & potato mash, cloudberry reduction

[B]DESSERTS[/B]

Norsk Risengrynsgrot
norwegian rice pudding

[B]PATIO GRILL-CHOP HOUSE[/B]

[B]APPETIZERS (FROM THE BUFFET)[/B]

Arugula and Watermelon Salad
Prawn Cocktail with Horseradish Cream
Marinated White Anchovies
Air Dried Beef, Pickled Vegetables

[B]PIZZA (FROM THE BUFFET)[/B]

Parma, Brie and Carciofi
Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella Cheese, Brie Cheese
Artichokes, Prosciutto

[B]PASTA[/B]

Pappardelle with Braised Short Rib
English Peas, Cipollini Onions, Cherry Tomatoes
Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese

[B]FROM THE GRILL[/B]

Beef Cowboy Steak 16oz
Veal Chop 12 oz
Single Bone Lamb Chops 10oz
Salmon Cotelette 10oz

[B]SIDINGS[/B]

Mixed Vegetables, Sauteed Spinach
Truffled French Fries

[B]SAUCES[/B]

Bernaise, Peppercorn, Garlic Butter

[B]DESSERTS[/B]

Assorted Cheeses Plate
Cherry Crumble Tart
Moist Chocolate Cake with Meringue
Fresh Fruits
Ice Cream & Sorbet

[quote name='Seabourntraveller']In Montreal Downtown I can recommend the Hilton Bonnaventure, The Sheraton each within a block of each other, the New Westin or the Intercontinental which are a block apart of each other as well or if you prefer a boutique Hotel I would recommend the "Hotel St-James" which is in old Montreal and fabulous.[/quote]

Thanks ST...I will check them out. I am assuming these hotels are in the city...since we will have a car and want to do day trips into the country side from a hotel base...is one better located to get out of town during the day. I understand Montreal traffic can be bad at times.

[B]Day 37: Majestic Fjords Enroute to Olden, Norway[/B]

Good very early morning as I am typing this and the satelte signal is up and down like a yoyo, the views from my balcont this morning are amazing. Cascading waterfalls, moutains with snowpeaks and glaciers as we navigate at a speed of 11 knots. The is pristine, pure and clear surely you could drink it without any worries.

As I am looking out past my railing of my balcony not a soul is awake and everyone is missing this. Was the samething last night just before I went to bed at shortly after midnight I went out on my balcony to take in the views, and no one was out there admiring the beauty around us.

Because we are sheltered by the Fjords, the winds are very low a 4 m.p.h. and we also have a current temperature of 12C or 54F and sunny skies. We have been so lucky thus far with the weather.

More to follow later today just as soon as I get to seabourn Square in 30 minutes time from the Sojourn making our way thru the Fjords enroute to Olden, Norway.:eek:

[quote name='cwn']Thanks ST...I will check them out. I am assuming these hotels are in the city...since we will have a car and want to do day trips into the country side from a hotel base...is one better located to get out of town during the day. I understand Montreal traffic can be bad at times.[/quote]

The easiest for traffic would be the Intercontinental or Westin as you can catch the Ville Marie Highway 720 right there, 1 block away. Yes all that I mentioned are all downtown Montreal.

[quote name='Fisherlady48']when are you going to the restaurant?

Love that you are sailing the fjords.

How long is this cruise and is it a unique once a year thing or repositioning?[/quote]

This cruise is 10 days long and they only do this one once a year. There is another similar one in late July again for 10 days and then there is of course the Artic Circle Northern Cape cruise on June 29th for 14 days.

Restaurant reviews coming soon...hold onto your shnarna!;)

[B]Day 37: Welcome to Olden, Norway 8:00am-6:00pm[/B]

We have arrived actually 30 minutes early in Olden at around 7:30am tied up alongside the pier. We are again the only ship n port just as yesterday in Begen.

The weather and views of Olden and the mountains and fljords are breathtaking. People on this cruise probably do not realize how lucky they really are to be having such great weather. I have done these cruises countless times and for example in Bergen they get only 67 days of sunshine out of the year. The current temperature is a little "nippy" at 10C or 50F but at least the sun is out.

I will be going up for breakfast soon in the Colonnade and hopefully it's not a "War Zone" up there.

More to come later today from Olden, Norway.:eek:

[B]Post Breakfast Update;-Olden, Norway[/B]

Just came back from a leisurely breakfast and it was fresh and crisp to be able to sit outside once again today, having breakfast on the Verandah of the Colonnade and voerlooking the snow covered Fjords and Mountains here today in Olden.

I had eggs benedict with an O.J. and took in the beautiful scenery around us today. Current temperature is still quite cool but pleasant 17C or 63F and sunny...not a cloud in the sky.

A great experience to do in Olden is right off the pier to your left you will see a small coffee shop "Kafe" and they do rent bikes for the day if you are more of the active type person and today would be an excellent day to do it because of the weather.

We have internet thank god again but not satelite TV all day until we sail out of the Fjords. So it's either movie marathon until dinner or read a book.

More to come from the Sojourn in Olden, Noeay today.:eek:

[B]Onboard Activities Today;[/B]

8:00am Arrival
8:30am Local Hospitality by the pier
9:00am Shuttle Bus, every 20 minutes until 5:00pm
10:30am Deck Sports, The Retreat Deck 11
11:00am Scrabble Anyone, Card Room Deck 7
11:30am Colonnade Opens for lunch until 2:00pm,
12:30pm The Restaurant Opens for Lunch until 1:30pm
12:30pm The Patio Grill Opens for Lunch until 3:30pm
2:00pm Unhosted Socials Bridge Play, Card Room deck 7
3:00pm Spa Seminar, The Spa Deck 9