Why not just end formal nights altogether?

The Royal Caribbean main dining room food is not better than the Windjammer.

You've posted this multiple times. What I don't get, what does the food have to do with the price of tea in China?

I have been to a number of black tie functions back in my more active political days and formal weddings, trust me, banquet food is banquet food. To be honest the quality and variety of most meals on the ships have been better than a lot of land based formal events. However, the quality of the food at a rubber chicken event does not make it any less a formal event.

I must say I am quite surprised by the snobbishness towards NCL here. Its actually sad to hear. I know people have their favorite cruise line, and mine is RCCL too but I am not going to put down another line to make my point about RCCL. I will sail NCL next year because the "Breakaway" looks gorgeous but I doubt it will be as "low class" as people, some people are making it out to be.

I must say I am quite surprised by the snobbishness towards NCL here. Its actually sad to hear. I know people have their favorite cruise line, and mine is RCCL too but I am not going to put down another line to make my point about RCCL. I will sail NCL next year because the "Breakaway" looks gorgeous but I doubt it will be as "low class" as people, some people are making it out to be.

Because that is what people do. I'm sure there are plenty of snarky posts about RCCL and their regular passengers on the NCL and Carnaval boards.

It would be great to keep everything the same including the service and the food in the MDR but allow people to wear whatever they want including flip flops, shorts, and tank tops. Putting on more fabric and covering up doesn't enhance the dining experience in my opinion. Just because you have more clothes on doesnt make you more enjoyable to look at.

Well, I went on a cruise with 2 friends last year. Both have jobs that require them to dress in suits every day. They talked about not being thrilled with having to dress up on vacation, so I downplayed formal night and just told them to make sure they had something nice (no jeans/shorts). Well, as soon as we got to formal night, they both agreed that they wished they had dressed up MORE (aka cocktail dresses rather than just the casual dresses they had) because it was really fun to watch everyone all dressed up (of course, not everyone was).

Point being... sometimes it's just fun to get all dressed up. We are cruising with my kids (9/6/4) next month, and my boys will be in suits, and my daughter in a long dress. I was SURE that they were going to fuss about it, but when we went to get formal shoes for my 9-year-old son last weekend, he decided they were cool and wanted to wear them around the store.

Sometimes it is just fun to be fancy. That said, I would not want to every night. I think the 2 nights is a good middle ground. I for one enjoy just being in that mix of fancy people. ;)

I sail on both NCL and RCCL. Frankly, I've never been subjected to anyone in person that displays that level of entitlement or snobbishness in person. It's the anonymity of the internet that allows people to let their true colors fly. And I'm so glad for that, because were I ever to have the misfortune of coming across that level of idiocy in real life, I'd simply burst out laughing in their face.

Low class are those people who judge others for their appearance. They are the very height of tacky, no matter which cruise line.

It would be great to keep everything the same including the service and the food in the MDR but allow people to wear whatever they want including flip flops, shorts, and tank tops. Putting on more fabric and covering up doesn't enhance the dining experience in my opinion. Just because you have more clothes on doesnt make you more enjoyable to look at.

...then again, sometimes it does.:eek:

I'm sure if the other lines had established casual freestyle type cruising, they would be targets too for the purpose of this conversation. It's just that NCL fits nicely into this topic.:rolleyes:

It removes from the asthetic when a family walks in not dressed up. There isn't a partition around each table, so when a person goes to some extra trouble to look 'formal' and sees others who don't, the experience is diminished for them.

I cannot understand why anyone's dining experience would be diminished by a family walking in "not dressed up". Why is the "aesthetic removed" when another doesn't dress up to your standards? Don't like the way someone else is dressed? LOOK THE OTHER WAY!

I cannot understand why anyone's dining experience would be diminished by a family walking in "not dressed up". Why is the "aesthetic removed" when another doesn't dress up to your standards? Don't like the way someone else is dressed? LOOK THE OTHER WAY!

That is NOT the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your children are in private school were uniforms are required, I'm sure your child would be sent home for being out of uniform.

We just follow the rules and enjoy everything from formal to theme nights, all part of the fun!!!!!!!!!!! Just MY opinion:)

First, sorry, I meant to spell check for aesthetic. lol

Though I agree with the above poster about respecting rules, you took my point correctly. It's just a difference in sensibilities. I don't really care how another person dresses. I want the other person to care on my behalf and everyone else's behalf.

People not looking out for each other is the reason for almost all the world's problems today, but that's for another forum!!! ;)

So happy that is only your opinion.I am sure you can find a cruise line to fit your choices but certainly not RCI or Celebrity.

Another example of the " ME" generation.I don't want it that way so change it NOW!!!!.Different lines have different attitudes so find the one that fits you.Leave RCCL alone,we like it this way.

I must admit it is becoming increasingly tiring to hear the "opposition" resort to ..."if you don't like it try another line". I like RCI and have no desire to try another line. But this phrase, whether it be about dress codes, self serve laundry, pre-paid tips...is getting old. I can disagree with something without having to change cruise lines:eek: Please stop telling people that have a different mind set to get over it, suck it up, or take their business elsewhere...jeesh!

I must admit it is becoming increasingly tiring to hear the "opposition" resort to ..."if you don't like it try another line". I like RCI and have no desire to try another line. But this phrase, whether it be about dress codes, self serve laundry, pre-paid tips...is getting old. I can disagree with something without having to change cruise lines:eek: Please stop telling people that have a different mind set to get over it, suck it up, or take their business elsewhere...jeesh!

People can disagree with something and either lobby for change, or discuss their frustration without it becoming an all or nothing argument back at them.

People should respect and even welcome disagreement and debate. Even if that person represents a very small segment of sentiment. It's healthy.

Things do change. Not always for the better and many times to not everybody's liking.

There are so many things to like about RCI that if you don't like one aspect, it doesn't have to change your perception.

I have never been able to understand the fixation that some folks on these boards have with what other people choose to wear. If you want to wear clothing that meets the true definition of formal, by all means go for it. If someone else chooses not to, why get your knickers in a knot?

So happy that is only your opinion.I am sure you can find a cruise line to fit your choices but certainly not RCI or Celebrity.

I like these kinds of statements. They amuse me.

Until royal enforces their own dress code then yes it does have what they are looking for. Royal doesn't care what people wear so telling people to chose another line makes no difference.

The bottom line is, if people want to dress up on formal night , that is great..I applaud them. I Love dressing up and getting some photos taken. But if others choose to dress the way they want, then go to windjammer, and stop complaining. Or like I have said in the past, (which I am not crazy about) My Time dining should also reflect My way dressing. So if you want to go when you are hungry, just wear whatever, But others who prefer main dining stick with tradition of Formal......

I wonder if all these people complaining about dressing formally on a cruise would also complain about having to dress formally for a wedding.

Do you just refuse to dress up in general? Or is it because of the attitude "it's my vacation and I'll dress how I want"?

I am one of "these people" and specifically explained that we dress in suits for work every day! Are you seriously comparing the sanctitude of a wedding with going on a Holiday?

And now we resort to comparing kids in school uniforms with adults in the mdr. Actually, I've looked at some of the photos in the fashion section and while some of the dresses are beautiful, there are many others who would look better if they ditched the low cut long dress (especially on aging women with tatts showing) - and wear a simple dress, They are dressing "formal" but their tastes are dreadful. And probably way more concerning than someone dressing casually. And you need to check out the chain mail dress which was formal but revealed waaaay more than anyone should be forced to see. But you can't legislate for bad taste, can you.

I have never been able to understand the fixation that some folks on these boards have with what other people choose to wear. If you want to wear clothing that meets the true definition of formal, by all means go for it. If someone else chooses not to, why get your knickers in a knot?

Because some folks may feel that you might ruin the formal table picture they always take:eek: Stand up behind this other couple, move the wine glass, now all squeeze together and SMILE!!!!!!!!:) It seems like I'm always the one with meat stuck in my teeth:confused:

Now everone laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Because some folks may feel that you might ruin the formal table picture they always take:eek: Stand up behind this other couple, move the wine glass, now all squeeze together and SMILE!!!!!!!!:) It seems like I'm always the one with meat stuck in my teeth:confused:

Now everone laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

This.

For all the talk of tradition and formality...RCI sure doesn't mind interrupting your formal occasion to come by and take photos at the worst possible moments.

If people think that formal nights are more about tradition than making money than they are fooling themselves. I think they're fine and fun...but they're also cash cows for the cruiselines.

Archived